PDA

View Full Version : Thai smokers drop 20%, World No Tobacco Day

May 29th, 2007, 08:26
Fewer smokers now - The Nation

The number of Thai smokers has fallen by nearly 40 per cent in the past 20 years as a result of strict enforcement of seven anti-smoking laws and effective awareness campaigns, Public Health Ministry deputy permanent secretary Manit Theeratantikanont said yesterday.

There are now 9.54 million people aged 15 years or older who smoke daily, compared with 11.7 million smokers in 1987. Of the 9.54 million current smokers, 4.5 million are chain smokers and suffer from lung cancer and related diseases, he added.

On World No Tobacco Day on Thursday, the Health Ministry will focus on curbing second-hand smoke and raising awareness about its harmful effects, in line with the World Health Organisa-tion's (WHO) theme for this year.

Local campaigns will include strengthening measures of all seven anti-smoking laws, Manit told a Bangkok seminar heralding the ministry's anti-smoking campaigns.

WHO's global motto for the No Tobacco Day this year is "100% Smoke-Free Environments: Create and Enjoy" while the ministry's message is "Without cigarette smoke, the environment is good and life is fresh and clear".

HRH Princess Somsawali will preside over Thursday's No Tobacco Day events at MBK Centre in Pathum Wan from 11am to 7pm.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will jointly enforce more no-smoking zones in public areas in Bangkok, especially in Chatuchak Market and other BMA-regulated marketplaces.

There are now 18 "quit smoking" clinics in BMA-run public health centres across the capital. Of the 1,915 smokers who sought assistance from the clinics, 815 managed to quit, according to the BMA, which has been operating the centres for two years.

Duangkamon Sajirawattanakul

The Nation

May 29th, 2007, 08:44
I still seem to be getting the daily ration of Thai boys willing to smoke me

May 29th, 2007, 09:19
As bitterly as some farang sex tourists complain about no smoking in restaurants, no smoking on TV or in movies, no display of cigarettes in shops, and (hopefully soon) no smoking in bars, something is working. Bravo.

TrongpaiExpat
May 29th, 2007, 12:54
That's why there was some sort of an anti smoking rally at Chatuchak last weekend. There were booths, music, dancing and all sorts of costumes. Some of the booths had pictures and displays of diseased lungs and other organs. One, strangely, had a disembodied discolored shrived penis in a jar. I asked if smoking did that and the cute boy at he booth said yes, sue buree mai dee, smoking no good.

May 29th, 2007, 13:29
As bitterly as some farang sex tourists complain about no smoking in restaurants, no smoking on TV or in movies, no display of cigarettes in shops, and (hopefully soon) no smoking in bars, something is working. Bravo.

BG,

As an outsider what's your opinion of the human race???? It must be very lonely being perfect, why don't you move in with Homintern.

May 29th, 2007, 14:11
.. "Do you smoke after orgasm?" The most popular response is "I don't know I've never looked"

May 29th, 2007, 16:40

BG.

You are sure it is only "farang sex tourists that complain about this????"

It is not what one would have thought, MORE LIKELY to be the general population???

When they finally do stop this smoking everywhere, as you state above, maybe, they will have time to stop the disgusting bellowing smoke pouring out of the cars, buses and trucks eh!

NO?? why, is it because they are too busy running around trying to implement these rules and collecting fines rather than really reduce pollution/smoke and assisting /contributing sensibly for the benefit the Nation's health!

May 29th, 2007, 18:09
BG.

You are sure it is only "farang sex tourists that complain about this????"

It is not what one would have thought, MORE LIKELY to be the general population???

When they finally do stop this smoking everywhere, as you state above, maybe, they will have time to stop the disgusting bellowing smoke pouring out of the cars, buses and trucks eh!

NO?? why, is it because they are too busy running around trying to implement these rules and collecting fines rather than really reduce pollution/smoke and assisting /contributing sensibly for the benefit the Nation's health!

I've never heard a Thai complain about it. Only people, well, like you bunch.

May 29th, 2007, 21:18
BG,

And what "bunch" are you from, please tell.

May 29th, 2007, 22:45
BG,

I'm from the "bunch" that thinks smoking is a foul and dangerous habit that affects all around in addition to the smoker, and should be banned everywhere except for the smoker's own disgusting, nicotine-befouled home.

jimnbkk
May 30th, 2007, 02:46
BG,

I'm from the "bunch" that thinks smoking is a foul and dangerous habit that affects all around in addition to the smoker, and should be banned everywhere except for the smoker's own disgusting, nicotine-befouled home.

amen. (nothing more sanctimonius than a former smoker such as me)

May 30th, 2007, 03:07
For boygeenyus there is nothing but black or white, no shade of grey can sully his purity of mind. I'm sure that for him smokers, heroin users and paedophiles are cut from the same cloth

Smiles
May 30th, 2007, 04:13
" ... For boygeenyus there is nothing but black or white, no shade of grey can sully his purity of mind. I'm sure that for him smokers, heroin users and paedophiles are cut from the same cloth ... "
I don't think they are all cut from the same cloth . . . but I absolutely agree with his post above regarding smoking & smokers.
And I'm far from pure.

As jimnbkk above says, the Anti-Smoking Whining Brigade often appear to be (or are always accused of being) santimonious or puritanical. But really, if you cut the issue down to the bone, why would you think it strange for folks to object ~ sometimes gently, sometimes loudly ~ to be slowly poisoned by the dumb choices made by the guy puffing away in the seat beside you ... or blueing up the atmosphere in the same room you are in.
Boygeenyus did say after all that he has no issue with folks who destroy themselves in their own private spaces. Is that not a reasonable stance? I think it is.

Most heavy smokers I know are in complete denial about what they do to themselves and ~ even more so, and more importantly ~ to others. I think that kind of intelligence-deficit trumps a little sanctimony every time.

Cheers ...

May 30th, 2007, 07:41
Smiles.

And I think I of all people on this board understands perils of smoking .

In direct reference to my post and answered "you bunch" [ BG] you are an arsehole. I don't smoke, so your up to date reference is off the mark, and you know it.

I would like to proceed to a list of my pet hates and see if we can do something about them at the same time:

, Drink drivers should be hung.

Fat people don't deserve life saving operations, [wasting the surgeons time, they know he could be doing other life saving treatment why help people who eat too much, they knew the risks]

Don't rescue fishermen[ silly bastards should know they might get stuck if the weather changes, wasting taxpayers money, selfish bastards!}

People without vehicle insurance should not be treated in Hospitals.

China and India should be nuked! Since we NOW know the dangers of Global warming, they are going to do more to contribute to this in the future than anyone else, Never mind, what Western nations have been doing for the last 100 years, That's no longer the point.

Aeroplanes should be banned, [ see how long it takes to walk to Thailand]

People with AIDS/HIV should not be treated [ they knew the risks]

Any person that allows emissions from their cars, trucks, lorries, buses should be flogged then shot [They're polluting your space]

Any person passing on colds, flu,measles should be imprisoned.[invasion of other peoples space]

Drug addicts [goes without saying, most selfish lot on the planet, stealing and killing to feed addictions and invading other peoples lives by doing so, drug addicted children should be killed at birth,just in case, like mother like son/daughter]

I also object to journalists getting all this publicity on TV when they get kidnapped,occupying my leisure time space and sending my stress levels up. What the hell were they doing in a war zone anyway???

All livestock,animals and birds should be slaughtered [Bird flu, Foot and mouth, Mad cow disease, METHANE emissions, using our air and poisoning the atmosphere]

If you need more, I can happily provide them. Power to the people.

It should be banned, Yes, but we are not in a perfect world, are we. Until then education and persuasion is the way forward.

When the Worlds Governments decide to ban smoking, all profits and assets to be sold and the money given to fund Hospitals who have had to treat smoking related illnesses on restricted budgets.

Smiles
May 30th, 2007, 07:58
Ok Kevin, well you know what's going to happen with that list of hoary old examples don't you? Rabid smokers are going to sing hosannas to you, and non-smokers are going to roll their eyes and whisper "pure obfuscation".

I agree with one point though, it's surely an imperfect world. And that's precisely why I can easily sit with smokers and enjoy a beer together and yap away about 'anything else'. Well, almost: for 5 minutes in a smoke-filled room . . . for hours, on a patio outside.

Cheers ...

May 31st, 2007, 14:09
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/Picture1-7.png

WORLD NO TOBACCO DAY / SMOKE-FREE ENVIRONMENTS, CLEAN-AIR BREW PUB Bangkok Post

STUBBING OUT SMOKING
Health agencies are pushing to expand smoke-free zones to bars and even private homes
Story by APIRADEE TREERUTKUARKUL

Lighting up a cigarette while savouring your pint could soon become a thing of the past in Thailand as a campaign for smoke-free entertainment nightspots takes shape.

The move follows the success of a similar scheme in Ireland, which in 2004 became the first country to create smoke-free indoor workplaces and public places, including restaurants, bars and pubs. Hong Kong also imposes smoking bans for some pubs and bars.

For over a decade, Thailand has been successful in campaigning for smoke-free public places such as offices, bus stops, restaurants, hospitals and temples. Now, state health agencies and anti-smoking advocates are working to expand smoke-free zones to cover night entertainment spots and even private homes.

The move is in accordance with the theme of today's World No Tobacco Day, which campaigns for a 100% smoke-free environment. However, it is an uphill task, they said.
''People usually regard pubs and bars as drinking and smoking venues, whereas the home is a private place for the family. It's very hard to work on a campaign which requires people to change their attitudes and norms,'' said Prakit Vathesatogkit, secretary-general of the Action on Smoking and Health Foundation.

''However, we have to press ahead with this project because cigarette smoke is very harmful to passive smokers.'' The anti-smoking advocate said he had been pushing the campaign for years. He said pubs and bars were workplaces for many non-smoking staff who end up being exposed to second-hand smoke.

''Despite realising the health hazards of such an environment, most employees do not want to speak up about their plight for fear of losing their jobs,'' he said. ''That's why we have to raise the topic of employees' health protection and promote better working environments.''

There are about 375,706 workplaces registered with the Social Security Office. An estimated 8.5 million people, including employees at entertainment nightspots, work on a regular and temporarily basis.

Dr Prakit said most employees at nightspots were at a high risk of developing health problems due to their continuous exposure to second-hand smoke. However, these workers lacked social security as they were usually hired on a temporary basis and were underpaid. As a result, this caused long-term health and social burdens for them and society.[/b/

According to the World Health Organisation, there is a clear scientific consensus based on hundreds of studies in adults and children showing that cigarette smoke causes serious and fatal illnesses such as heart disease, lung cancer and asthma. [b]A study by researchers at Mahidol University on second-hand smoke exposure at youth venues in Thailand and Malaysia revealed that exposure levels of workers at bars, pubs, nightclubs and discos were higher than at other places where smoking was allowed.

The mean exposure level of this group was more than 35 times the average annual exposure limit set by the United States Environment Protection Agency. The study was conducted last year at 150 youth venues in four cities in Thailand and Malaysia using a portable air measurement device to gauge particulate matter with a diameter of 2.5 microns or less (PM 2.5). Particles of 2.5 microns or less found in indoor air are mostly due to cigarette smoke. The research showed these levels could cause asthma and respiratory problems among people exposed to small dust particles both over the short and long term, such as service staff, bartenders, DJs and musicians who work in such venues on a daily basis.

Lakkana Termsirikulchai, director of the Tobacco Control Research and Knowledge Management Centre, said further research on smoking levels at entertainment nightspots in big cities such as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima, Phuket and Songkhla was being conducted. The results are expected to be released next month.

She believed the ongoing studies would help address the need to promote a smoking ban inside night entertainment buildings. Legislation requiring all indoor workplaces and public places to be smoke-free should be enacted, she said. This was one way to ensure universal and equal protection for all, aside from education strategies.

Sman Footrakul, head of the Tobacco and Alcohol Control Bureau, agreed with the proposals, but said a ban on smoking in pubs and bars had not yet been fully implemented in the Tobacco Control Bill because the task was not handled by the health authorities alone.

The issue needed cooperation from other agencies such as the Labour and the Interior ministries to review and amend the labour and entertainment nightspot bills to support a smoking ban in workplaces.

Dr Sman said it would probably have to wait for the elected government until a ban on smoking materialised.

Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla said he was currently too busy working with two controversial projects _ the anti-alcohol campaign and compulsory licensing to override the patents of Aids and heart drugs.

''We have to wait for the right time in a bid to move forward the anti-smoking policy. We can't open battles on all fronts. Otherwise, we may lose the war,'' the minister said.

May 31st, 2007, 14:13
WORLD NO TOBACCO DAY / SMOKE-FREE ENVIRONMENTS, CLEAN-AIR BREW PUB - Bangkok Post

Ban on lighting up is popular with the punters
The Tawandang German Brewery, a nightspot in Rarm Intra on Rama III road, is one of the few popular pubs and restaurants in the city that does not let customers light up. A ban on smoking in pubs is enforced in countries such as Ireland, Norway, Bhutan and some bars in Hong Kong.

Although there is no prospect of a similar law here in Thailand, the publican at Tawandang says the ban is popular with drinkers. Wanchai Rienkitpinyo, the bar and restaurant manager, said the ban on smoking had been welcomed by customers since Tawandang's opening in September 2005. ''Everybody has reacted positively, which is good for us,'' said Mr Wanchai, a non-smoker.
''Customers first walked in with the expectation that they could smoke in a beer garden but when we explain to them that we have tried to create a smoke-free environment, they don't mind. They even comment that the place has a pleasant smell, not a stale smoky one.''

The smoking ban was a sensitive issue because most people believed they could go to such places to drink and smoke. However, customers could always choose to go somewhere else, said Mr Wanchai. ''There are still many bars nearby where people can smoke if they want,'' he said.

Sunthorn Wichitpanich, who lives in the Rarm Intra area, visits the place with his friends because of its smoke-free policy. ''I am a smoker myself, but I don't mind at all. My friends don't smoke and we wanted to go to some place where we could enjoy ourselves without having to worry about breathing in cigarette smoke,'' he said.

Not only customers but also employees support the smoking ban. Waitress Pimolpan Niyom, 24, said she quit a job at a nearby nightspot, where she worked for a year, when she became allergic to cigarette smoke. ''Imagine being stuck in a small room filled with smoke seven days a week. Eventually it will affect your health,'' she said. ''Here, I don't have to inhale toxic smoke every day like at my previous workplace. It's better for me and my family,'' she said. ''I want to be healthy, and to watch my kids grow up.''

Bangkok Post

May 31st, 2007, 14:19
I was in Bangkok the last couple of days. Every place that I went I had to change my seat due to smokers - Dick's Cafe outdoors, Boys Bangkok, even though Mamasan said I was in the no smoking section?, Tawan, Future Boys where I actually left due to the haze cloud of nicotine - mostly from staff.

Now I do have Emphysema and smoke is very bad for me and makes me cough but I wonder how soon it will be before some enterprising bar will ban smoking on the premises or provide a glazed in section for those who must.

May 31st, 2007, 14:38
I was in Bangkok the last couple of days. Every place that I went I had to change my seat due to smokers - Dick's Cafe outdoors, Boys Bangkok, even though Mamasan said I was in the no smoking section?, Tawan, Future Boys where I actually left due to the haze cloud of nicotine - mostly from staff.

Now I do have Emphysema and smoke is very bad for me and makes me cough but I wonder how soon it will be before some enterprising bar will ban smoking on the premises or provide a glazed in section for those who must.

Its been tried wowpow,and the idea gets shot down in Thailand all the time.

Don't you remember in the early days, We tried it,[non smoking section] including placing a smoke extractor immediately above the section?

The idea failed due to lack of interest.

I once pointed this out to a group of Police eating and drinking and smoking in the coffee shop of the Hotel and told them it was against the law,to be informed, We are the Law!

However, I feel it could be a good thing IF it was rigidly enforced and applied to ALL nightspots, not just the ones in high profile areas or the ones out of favour with the cops.

We will see, I have no doubt.The problem with this and all Laws in Thailand, they only last three months and everything slips back to how it was.

May 31st, 2007, 14:49
Yes kquill - I remember your efforts to make a tiny no smoking area. I wondered at the time if anyone knew it was there.

I hear your observation of the Police - no surprises there then.

However, the ban on smoking in air-conditioned restaurants. hotel lobbies etc seems to be working very well which would suggest that it could be effective in nightspots as well.

I have seen smoking stopped in trains, planes. cinemas, airports, hospitals and the majority of hotel bedrooms, most of Ireland, France (!!) the Uk in June - it's coming!

June 1st, 2007, 07:01
Sombre facts for no-smoking day - The Nation

While the number of Thai smokers had reached 11 million, another 16 million people were found to be at risk of inhaling secondary smoke in their own homes, Public Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla said yesterday.

On the occasion of World No Smoking Day yesterday, which Thai provinces celebrated with anti-smoking campaigns, Mongkol urged the 1.3 billion smokers world-wide - a third of the adult population - to stop smoking for one day, and said this year's campaign would focus on protecting six billion non-smokers from secondary smoke.

He said smoking caused five million deaths a year and if the problem remained unsolved, 650 million current smokers would die prematurely in the next 14 years.

Mongkol cited a World Health Organisation report of secondary smokers aged 13 to 15, in 132 nations between 1999 and 2005, that found 44 per cent were exposed to cigarette smoke at home and 56 per cent in public places.

Of 11 Southeast and South Asian countries, 11.7 per cent of Thai students smoked compared to India's 4.2 per cent.

A lit cigarette created more than 4,000 toxins, while at least 250 toxins - with more than 60 being cancer triggering substances - were found in secondary smoke, he said.

A Mahidol University study last year found that seven million Thai households - out of 18 million - had smokers. Furthermore, 16 million people - three million being children under five - were at risk of inhaling secondary smoke at home.

A National Statistic Office report last year said there were 11 million smokers aged over 11 and 9.5 million of them said they were addicted to nicotine, Mongkol said.

Men smoked 15 times more than women with an average of 10 cigarettes a day. The average age to begin smoking was 18.

Some 52,000 people died annually from smoking-related diseases, costing Bt44 billion in medical bills.

If all Thai smokers stopped smoking for one day, it would reduce fumes from 100 million cigarettes and save Bt200 million.

From September 28, ministerial regulations will insist that cigar packs carry warning messages with images covering 50 per cent of the packet's surface, said Public Health permanent secretary Prat Boonyawong-virot.

Regulation violators would face up to Bt100,000 in fines.

The Ministry also made 20 ministries and nine offices smoke-free zones and would expand the policy to the provinces this year.

The Nation

June 1st, 2007, 07:21
Reason #4 is one of those weasel reasons and in America could (and usually is) translated into "most people are Christians and have every right to trample over everyone else's beliefs". There's also a substantial body of research that shows that smokers are in fact good for a society. They often die before retirement age thus cutting down both on the amount of money required for health care into old age and the requirement for a government pension - large winnings for society overall. Several of the other "reasons" on the list are self-fulfilling and people believe those things because they've been told they are true (and for no other reason)

I should state that I have never used any tobacco product and prefer not to be around smokers; however I am highly sceptical of the anti-smoking lobby and its puritan agenda

Those who really want a smoke-free environment could consider migrating to Aunty's little cuntry - Nw Zlnd - where as well as abolishing vowels, the local fuzzy-wuzzies want to ban smoking altogether - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.c ... d=10369512 (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=321&objectid=10369512)

June 1st, 2007, 10:09
"I am highly sceptical" indeed you are highly skeptical (US)

June 1st, 2007, 10:52
I am highly sceptical of the anti-smoking lobby and its puritan agenda

I have no idea how Hommi confuses a health issue with a moral one.

Personally, I don't care what people do to their bodies in their own homes -- away from me. If I did, perhaps that would be a moral issue.

As it is, it is 100% a health one.

Smiles
June 1st, 2007, 11:03
" ... however I am highly sceptical of the anti-smoking lobby and its puritan agenda ... "
The 'puritan' card has already been played ... and discarded as tripe:

" ... the Anti-Smoking Whining Brigade often appear to be (or are always accused of being) santimonious or puritanical ... "
.... though you've hit the nail flush on cloying 'sanctimony':

" ... I should state that I have never used any tobacco product and prefer not to be around smokers ... "

(See how easily these smoking/anti-smoking discussions degenerate :blackeye: :blackeye: )
Cheers ...

June 1st, 2007, 16:58
(See how easily these smoking/anti-smoking discussions degenerate :blackeye: :blackeye: )
Cheers ...Frankly I see parallels between American Prohibition of the 1920s and the smoking prohibitionists of today

June 1st, 2007, 17:03
Cheers ...Frankly I see parallels between American Prohibition of the 1920s and the smoking prohibitionists of today

Moron...no one ever got sick from second-hand drinking. Prohibition was a moral issue. This is a health issue -- largely for those who are not even smoking themselves.

June 1st, 2007, 18:11
"Frankly I see parallels between American Prohibition of the 1920s and the smoking prohibitionists of today"

What an extraordinary statement! Kindly explain. Do they meet?

June 2nd, 2007, 03:03
What an extraordinary statement! Kindly explain. Do they meet?It's hardly an original thought, dear boy. If you Google "prohibition era smoking ban" you'll find lots of entries. Given your addiction to cut'n'paste we may even find some of them back here. I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were making a joke when you asked whether the parallels met, but then I realised that making jokes is beyond you

June 3rd, 2007, 14:31
Puritans hate anything that looks like frivolity and pleasure ... The Puritan mind likes control and conformity and rigid adherence to codes, and it likes whenever possible to substitute its own discretion for the judgement of individuals