PDA

View Full Version : The Thai Atkins diet

May 25th, 2007, 17:17
Guys,

I am giving this to wx40afp and any others who need to lose weight absolutely free.

When I stopped smoking [ nine months ago] and stopped the drinking spirits at the same time, I ate a great deal more and my weight, although a lot of people did not know exactly how much, went up by two stones and four pounds.

I am 6ft 2in so got away with it a bit, no super large belly, I put in on evenly all over but I was not comfortable with it.

I have just had five days Pattaya and two Bangkok drinking and being a Viking

I have now gone back to my diet regime, which consists of Omelette or cheese for breakfast, Tom Yam whatever, plate mixed fried vegetables, Chicken, seafood, prawns at lunch, Laap whatever at early evening and another couple of eggs or pieces of chicken, eight to ten glasses of water and as many Pepsi Max as I can get down.

This mixed in with 9km fast walk per day, that's five and a half miles.

I am down 4 kilos in three days. I am trying this for at least a month, then take a look again.

The walking, I want to increase to jogging and hopefully retain that part even when I move off the strictness of the diet.

Although five and a half miles in 40C gets warm even when I am going in the mornings and late afternoons.

May 25th, 2007, 17:27
Forget the Pepsi Max: no calorie Coke Zero was just introduced today! Hip hip hooray! I challenge you to tell any difference in taste between Coke and Coke Zero. it is deeeelicious!

May 25th, 2007, 17:55
What about the medications that you mentioned previously, KQuill? any use?

Congratulations on the weight loss - well done!

catawampuscat
May 25th, 2007, 18:22
Agreed, boygeenyus, it is delicious and far better than Coke Lite, which many of us persist in calling
Diet Coke.
The downside is, it is full of chemical compounds which cannot be good for your health and fools many
into overeating and compensating with a diet soda but
still, Coke Zero is a winner and doesn't have the aftertaste of Pepsi Max and Coke Lite.

Walking is the way to go and helps with the weight and is great for the heart and general physical
conditioning especially in middle aged or older people. :cat:

May 25th, 2007, 18:55
What about the medications that you mentioned previously, KQuill? any use?

Congratulations on the weight loss - well done!

Wowpow,

They recommend multivitamins [Z-BEC] I after breakfast, ADD-K 750MG [Potassium] 1-2 a day, PSYLLIUM [ Muciilin Metamucil] 2-3 teaspoons every morning. The Latter , you do not need if you are eating Laab, believe me!

Boygeenyus,

The new Coke zero, I have not heard of it, but will check it, the Pepsi Max is no calories, no carbohydrates.

If the Coke is that good and can get it, I'm changing.

I'm realistically aiming at losing another ten kilos and I am back at the weight I was for years in Pattaya.

May 25th, 2007, 20:02
Coke Zero has been around for about a year now. Its only just arrived in Pattays. Like most things in Thailand late in coming.
Its a lot better taste than most diet drinks and it better for you than the others. So they say?

May 25th, 2007, 22:02
wx40afp,

You are mixing all kinds of diet plans together. The Atkins diet allows fats, oils, cheeses, cream, etc but no carbohydrates and no fruits and/or fruit sugars as these are high in carbohydrates.

You must also read labels for carbohydrates. Today, I looked at a bottle of orange juice 32g of carbs. On the Atkins 20g maximum per day.

Veggies consists of salad greens not starchy vegetables. No pulses or grains, so no rice as it has carbs.

Chocolates, ice creams, fruits, biscuits all out on this diet. It is supposed to be high protein , low carbohydrate.

I intend to use it only to achieve my target, then keep the exercise going, plenty of water and soda as Coke zero or Pepsi Max as it bloats you when hunger occurs.No Booze at all.

This is short term diet. It is not for everyones temperament!

When I hit the weight I want, I wish to move to veggies, fruits, coupled with lean meats, occasional once a week binges, but its early days yet, and a lot more work to do.

It helps as I am not exposed to the temptations of Pattaya, and plenty of open space and good air.

Smiles
May 26th, 2007, 00:17
The Fat Police say: the 6 worst foods it's possible to eat. Get these puppies out of your eating habits, now!

Common sense really . . .

Soft drinks ('Soda' for Amurcuns) ... huge amounts of sugar; caffeine;sulfates
[/*:m:1y7s3789]
Potato chips and French fries ... acrylamide, a known carcinogen and neurotoxin; trans fats
Doughnuts ... refined sugar; transfats; partially hydrogenated oils
Other Baked Goods ... high amounts of tran fats; preservatives
Luncheon Meats/Hot Dogs ... packed with sodium nitrite
Canned Soup ... trans fats; sodium; MSG[/*:m:1y7s3789]

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/0 ... _costs.htm (http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/07/20/the_6_most_unhealthy_foods_you_should_avoid_at_all _costs.htm)

May 26th, 2007, 02:30
Four Steps to a Healthy New Lifestyle
the Atkins Nutritional Approach is often confused with its initial phase, called Induction, when carbohydrate intake is most strictly curtailed. In reality, four increasingly liberal dietary plans follow each other in a series of seamless stages that eventually become a new way of eating you can adopt permanently.
1. Induction
This two-week maximum fat-burning program jump-starts your body into the metabolic state known as ketosis, making it consume its own excess body fat faster than you ever thought possible. This phase is very strict in its limitation of carbohydrates. (Because of its rigor, the Induction phase is not suitable for children under the age of 12, pregnant women or people with severe kidney disease.) You eat no more than 20 grams of carbs a day. Most people lose at least 5 to 10 pounds in the first two weeks during Induction. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose, you may safely stay on the Induction phase longer.
The Rules of Induction You may eat pure protein (meat, fish and shellfish, poultry, eggs) and pure fats (butter, olive oil, mayonnaise).
Eat no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates a day in the form of salad and other vegetables, such as asparagus, broccoli and kale. Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter.
Eat out as often as you wish. Just be alert to hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings.
Eat no food not specifically allowed.
Aspartame may stimulate insulin production; avoid it and foods containing it.
Check the carb content of all foods you are unsure about with a carbohydrate gram counter.
Caffeine stimulates the production of insulin, so avoid regular coffee, tea and cola drinks.
Eat the amount of food that makes you feel satisfied, but not stuffed. If youтАЩre not hungry, eat nothing or have a small protein snack to accompany your supplements.
2. Ongoing Weight Loss
You can liberalize your carbohydrate consumption slightly on Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL), which you will follow for as many weeks or months as it takes you to get close to your goal weight. ItтАЩs important to understand that this liberalization on the carb front is not a license to return to your old eating habits. Instead, increase your daily intake of carbohydrates by 5 grams each week, i.e., 25 grams daily the first week, 30 grams daily the next week. By doing this very gradually you wonтАЩt fall out of ketosis. This is how you find your Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing (CCLL). Typical 5-gram increments include 10 Brazil nuts, half an avocado, 1/4 cup of blueberries or 1/2 cup of green beans. You can even add carbs in the form of 4 ounces of dry wine, 6 ounces of light beer or 1 ounce of gin or whiskey daily. Naturally, you will see a gradual decrease in the pace of your weight loss as you add carbohydrates back into your diet. And thatтАЩs fine. The purpose of the whole program is not to lose weight fast, but to get it off and keep it off-forever.
3. Pre-Maintenance
When you get close to your ultimate weight goal, understandably you will want to take off those last five or six pounds in a hurry. But itтАЩs important to carve them off over the course of two or three months. ThatтАЩs because the biggest problem with weight control is not losing but maintaining. You may have gone on a crash diet in the past, only to gain it all back faster than you lost it. What you should do is just the opposite. By losing those final pounds with excruciating slowness, youтАЩll actually be easing yourself into a permanently changed way of eating.
For the Pre-Maintenance phase, each week simply add another 10 grams of carbs to what you have been eating each day on OWL. Or give yourself a 20-gram carbohydrate treat two or three times a week. You can now even touch some of those formerly forbidden starches such as a baked potato or a slice of pizza. Or add some favorite fruits: apples, bananas, peaches, grapefruit. As long as you donтАЩt start gaining weight and continue to lose at an almost imperceptible rate, youтАЩre doing fine. However, if eating any foods creates food cravings or provokes symptoms that disappeared while youтАЩve been on the program, stop them immediately.
4. Lifetime Maintenance
Once you arrive at your goal weight, offer yourself some well-deserved congratulations and prepare for a lifetime of slimness. When you have totally stopped your weight loss, your appetite will increase toward its normal level. For this reason, your Lifetime Maintenance program will still be fairly restrictive of carbohydrate foods. YouтАЩll need to find your own Critical Carbohydrate Level for Maintenance (CCLM), meaning the level at which you neither gain nor lose weight. At this level, you will still restrict carbohydrates enough to curb some of your appetite. For most people, this ranges between 40 and 100 grams of carbs a day-still considerably less than the 300 grams the typical American consumes in a single day!

Couldn't give you the link - something that I had stored on word!

:cheers:

May 26th, 2007, 02:37
Guys,
When I stopped smoking [ nine months ago] and stopped the drinking spirits at the same time, I ate a great deal more and my weight, although a lot of people did not know exactly how much, went up by two stones and four pounds.

Two stone, you mean. The plural of stone is stone.

May 26th, 2007, 02:49
Cabbage Diet

Day 1
Breakfast: Black Coffee of tea
Lunch: 2 eggs, Cabbage salad with lemon and olive oil, 1 tomato, 1 cup of tomato juice
Dinner: 1 piece of fresh fish grilled, broiled or fried, Cabbage salad with olive oil and lemon
After Dinner - Bare back a ladyboy.

Day 2
Breakfast: Black Coffee or tea
Lunch: Fresh fish, Cabbage salad with lemon and olive oil
Dinner: 1 piece of chicken breast, boiled or grilled
1 cup of non-fat yogurt
After Dinner - Chicken dance on the beach

Day 3
Lunch: 1 egg, Carrots, Cheese
Dinner: Apples
After Dinner - Shag a white shoe'd poofta!

Day 4
Lunch: Parsnip fried or grilled, Apples
Dinner: 1 egg, Boiled chicken breast, Cabbage salad w/lemon and olive oil
After Dinner - Encourage the boy to bark like a dog while manipulating weanie!

Day 5
Breakfast: Carrots, Lemon juice
Lunch: Fresh fish, grilled or fried, 1 cup of tomato juice
Dinner: Fresh fish, Cabbage salad with lemon and olive oil
After Dinner - Get pissed and start a few fights.

Day 6
Breakfast: Black coffee or tea, Lemon juice
Lunch: Chicken breast, grilled or boiled, Cabbage salad with lemon and olive oil
Dinner: 2 eggs, Carrots
After Dinner - Post on SGT forum utter gibberish.

Day 7
Breakfast: Tea
Lunch: Chicken breast, grilled or boiled, Fruit of choice
Dinner: Choice of any day, except for day three
After Dinner - Pretend your in Sunny Plaza after a couple hours flight from Aus.

May 26th, 2007, 06:18
stuff the diet i will stay fat and happy.Maybe i could drop dead,but the boys dont mind me being fat,as long as ive got a couple of thousand baht.

May 26th, 2007, 06:31
Guys,

Two stone, you mean. The plural of stone is stone.

I knew that fatty! Never mind a slight spelling error, get on the treadmill. Good post , by the way, Rogered!

May 26th, 2007, 06:34
stuff the diet i will stay fat and happy.Maybe i could drop dead,but the boys dont mind me being fat,as long as ive got a couple of thousand baht.

Dear damien500,

Do you think for one minute I am doing this for the boys???? You must be mad, I'm doing this for me!

The boys don't mind you being fat, as long as you've got a couple of thousand baht, correct, they also don't mind you dropping dead as long as they have been paid!!!

I,for one, never forget that about them!

Daniel-old
May 26th, 2007, 07:37
Kevin, go easy with the Coke Zero. It might not be all it's cracked up to be. I had about sixteen splashes of it last night with Bacardi, and it gave me a c..t of a headache.

May 26th, 2007, 07:57
You don't think it might have been the booze?

May 26th, 2007, 10:28
One great thing about the Adkin's diet, is that you can have hard liquor with a diet mix on the diet, but not beer or wine. At least it is not like a lot of diets that ban alcohol altogether :drunken:

PeterUK
May 26th, 2007, 12:17
All very well reading all this intricate advice about different diets, but I found a very effective method of weight loss of my own a few months ago. I fell madly (emphasis on that word) in love with a barboy who inexplicably failed to return my affection and who eventually sallied off to live with a dastardly (never met him but he must be) farang living in Bangkok. As a result, I lost over twenty pounds in weight in about three weeks through the simple expedient of pining all day and night and eating virtually nothing but a soupcon of soup and drinking occasional glasses of lemonade. I have been a little over my fighting weight since moving to Thailand a couple of years ago and had despaired of ever getting rid of the surplus. Now, amazingly, I have done so and am finding it relatively simple to keep to my new weight. I've always eaten plenty of fruit and vegetables. My weakness is yummy desserts; I eat less of them now and, if I do succumb, I just make a point of going for a longer jog than usual the following morning. So all's well that ends well. But please note - I do not recommend my weight-loss programme to others since the associated, and inevitable, emotional suffering does tend to put clouds in the blue sky of one's day.

May 26th, 2007, 12:26
I fell madly (emphasis on that word) in love with a barboy who inexplicably failed to return my affection and who eventually sallied off to live with a dastardly (never met him but he must be) farang living in Bangkok.

You mean he wasn't impressed with your prose? I AM surprised.

May 26th, 2007, 12:30
I knew that fatty! Never mind a slight spelling error, get on the treadmill.

Who are you calling fatty, Fatty? I'll have you know that my waist is as slender as Smiles's, the Richard Simmons of gay Thailand. If you haven't seen Smiles jogging on Patong Beach in sequinned hot pants and half tanks, it's something.

May 26th, 2007, 13:00
wx40afp,

Absolutely outstanding piece of careful, considered, compassionale advice, I am deeply touched.

You should apply to asssist the "Samaritans" service.

You are an inspiration to us all.

Now lets get back to losing weight Fatboy!!

May 26th, 2007, 13:04
He is a sex worker/money boy so obviously he has gone with the farang for money as he done with you,im feel sorry for you as he was obviously good for you business wise,providing you with a high level of customer service so to speak,so much that you fell in love with him.
When i was in Thailand a few months ago,i actually met several Thai guys who were not sex workers,even though there was no sex encounters,had i lived there im sure i could of prolonged my "friendship",i have 2 of the guys numbers in my phone and i will see them again on my return.No,they werent exactly handsome,but i could have a conversation in good english with them on a higher level than a barboy,one was 36 and the other was 32yo..The point is,why exactly are you "pining" for a sex worker,this should really go into another topic,but did you let your emotions get the better of you and you took the "companionship"that he provided as personal?
You fell madly in love with him but he failed to return your affection because he was doing a job.
Would you feel the same way if he was ugly,is it because he was goodlooking or what exactly?
There are plenty of good Thai guys in there 30 s who have a job and stable life,whats wrong with them?
The truth is these are prostitutes,he rents his body out to hundreds of farangs and he goes with the highest bidder,you can buy sex,but you cant buy LOVE!
I dont know if your just joking about this as i cannot see a guy who lives there as you stated and possibly you are a mature aged guy actually being sucked in by a prostitute.
The point is,the sex worker has no feelings for you,he was nice to you and understanding etc,but on the affection side it wasnt real and when you tried to put it onto him,he rejected it,because you trook it over the "professional line" so to speak.

You raised some good points here and I know you're speaking from the heart because Peter is your friend.

The point is,the sex worker has no feelings for you,he was nice to you and understanding etc,but on the affection side it wasnt real and when you tried to put it onto him,he rejected it,because you trook it over the "professional line" so to speak

Or, being the true pro that he was, he went with a higher bidder.

May 26th, 2007, 13:12
I wouldnt go following the Atkins diet blindly. There are a wide range of opinions on his diet program. From what I have read, the initial weight losses by people on his diet were not maintained long-term. Also many reputable dieticians have serious concerns about the long-term impacts of a high fat/low carb diet. And when Dr Atkins died, I believe his widow refused to allow an autopsy, as the state of his arteries may well have been proof of the long-term effects of his diet, particularly for anybody with medical conditions such as diabetes or cholestrol problems.
Thin doesnt necessarily mean healthy, tand there are plenty of slightly overweight but very healthy people - look at places like Italy and Greece where people tend to be a little on the plump side as they age, but they have a balanced diet, including a lot of fresh, unprocessed food, end anjoy a high life expectancy. Alternatively, have a look aroung the Thai population. They dont seem to have much of a problem with obesity, maybe there is a clue in their diet (apart from the coconut milk curries, which dont seem to be so popular with Thai people anyway).

May 26th, 2007, 13:30
Thin doesnt necessarily mean healthy, tand there are plenty of slightly overweight but very healthy people - look at places like Italy and Greece where people tend to be a little on the plump side as they age, but they have a balanced diet, including a lot of fresh, unprocessed food, end anjoy a high life expectancy.

vs

Alternatively, have a look aroung the Thai population. They dont seem to have much of a problem with obesity, maybe there is a clue in their diet (apart from the coconut milk curries, which dont seem to be so popular with Thai people anyway).

You are contradicting yourself. Thin doesn't necessarily mean healthy, agreed. But you go on to say that Thai people are rarely obese and imply this is exemplary. Thais are not fat, true, but they have lousy diets. Excessive alcohol and tobacco, insufficient greens, MSG-laden cooking, carcinogenic foods (too much BBQ-ing), low fibre and fruit intake (inspite of being one of the world's largest exporters of Vitamin C-enriched tropical fruit.) That is why so many Thai youngsters suffer from stomach-related ailments and develop serious health problems by the time they are 45.

May 26th, 2007, 13:53
Thin doesnt necessarily mean healthy, tand there are plenty of slightly overweight but very healthy people - look at places like Italy and Greece where people tend to be a little on the plump side as they age, but they have a balanced diet, including a lot of fresh, unprocessed food, end anjoy a high life expectancy.

vs

Alternatively, have a look aroung the Thai population. They dont seem to have much of a problem with obesity, maybe there is a clue in their diet (apart from the coconut milk curries, which dont seem to be so popular with Thai people anyway).

You are contradicting yourself. Thin doesn't necessarily mean healthy, agreed. But you go on to say that Thai people are rarely obese and imply this is exemplary. Thais are not fat, true, but they have lousy diets. Excessive alcohol and tobacco, insufficient greens, MSG-laden cooking, carcinogenic foods (too much BBQ-ing), low fibre and fruit intake (inspite of being one of the world's largest exporters of Vitamin C-enriched tropical fruit.) That is why so many Thai youngsters suffer from stomach-related ailments and develop serious health problems by the time they are 45.

Sorry, I wasnt too clear there. I meant that Thai people arent generally overweight, so maybe there is a clue to avoiding obesity in the Thai diet. But as you say, that slim body shape doesnt necessarily equate to good health. Dunno how they stay slim though, hard to get them to walk further than to cross the road to get a taxi.

May 26th, 2007, 14:26
Guys,

I weighed in at a touch over 15 stone [Yimsuai] for years living out here. When I was dressed for work in the evening, with a slight tan, not much, nice clothes on, hair groomed, clean teeth, aftershave etc.

People arriving on Holiday showered the compliments on how well I looked and How Thailand agreed with me, etc etc.

What they did not know, this was down to a daily ritual of 2-3 packs of cigarettes, A bottle or so of Black label, [ not every day] but regular enough to scare a Doctor, an eating disorder, as I used to like a few beers to start and couldn't get them down if I had been eating.

I could totally forget to eat for a couple of days, with mind focussed on figures, takings, the bar and HOTEL, Guests problems etc.

I never appeared outwardly pissed up or under the influence.My weight was constant.

BUT, Was I healthy???

I have gained weight leaving all those vices behind, I certainly do not need to feel embarassed walking around,since gaining a bit, I am not obese at all.

I just want to have a lifestyle change and get a balanced lifestyle for the remainder of time on Earth.

Also, the Doctors say one of the best defences against re-occurence of Cancer is getting fit! [ although that must also apply to high blood pressure, Heart attacks etc]

I do feel, without being rude, that people saying " I'm Fat but Happy" can be a bit of a Kop out!

They are seldom very happy and it can be an excuse for laziness.

I don't particularly throw open the curtains and say, Great, let's get the five and a half miles done,it's warm work, sweaty,a little bit boring. However, I'm determined to keep doing it, and its a hell of a lot better than the alternative, I was nearly confronted with.

End of sermon. Have a nice life!

May 26th, 2007, 14:57
The last I heard a strict Atkins diet is linked to increase rate of heart attacks, plus it doesn't have any higher rate of long term success than any other fad diet.

May 27th, 2007, 01:17
"The last I heard a strict Atkins diet is linked to increase rate of heart attacks, plus it doesn't have any higher rate of long term success than any other fad diet."

Jingthing, you must not have stayed current. Just in the past month in published in US newspapers and online is that recent medical studies demonstrated a low carb diet (not just the Atkins--he was just the best known proponent of low carb diets) is the diet on which most maintained the weight and were healthier. Over the past year, most of the "worries" that medical establishment claimed about low carb diets (higher cholesteral, heart/kidney problems, etc) have been found to be inaccurate. It has been demonstrated that if one actually adheres to a low carb diet, it is possible actually to lower cholesteral levels--it is all due to reactions in the blood sugar, etc. I am sure it is a challenge regardless of diet type--low fat, low carb, etc, to keep any weight off once lost.

With any diet, many start out on it gangbusters and then find it difficult to continue longterm. Low fat. low calorie diets are difficult to maintain also---for friends of mine and for me, who have also used the low carb, I liked the fact that even though we had to give up sweets/sugars and as Kquill pointed out, other things like rice, corn, which are starches and turn right into sugars in the body, on the low carb, one can eat steaks, cheeseburgers (without the buns/bread, egss/bacon, etc--all things that one cannot eat when doing the low fat/low calorie diets.

Most I know who have strictly adhered to the low carb (and added sufficient exercise), have lost weight and then they move to a maintenance diet--which allows a greater number of carbs and less restrictions per day in an attempt to maintain--as Kquill said, Atkins sets the limit at 20 g of carbs a day, the Protein Power (another popular low carb diet) set it at 25 per day, etc. But what I have seen is that others have claimed they are doing "low carb" but constantly cheat, or eat fruits (without having done any research and don't realize the carb content of what they are eating) and then claim the diet doesn't work. Adding fiber is also of great importance in the low carb--you can eat more grams of carbs if you eat more grams of fiber each day, plus often, a mulit-vit/mineral supplement is recommended, but exercise is a must, as it is in any diet plan. Kudos to Kquill for those long walks during very hot. humid days!

May 27th, 2007, 01:37
Similar to the Atkins diet. Appears to be written by a guy called Agatston.

South Beach Diet
In the first phase of the South Beach diet, which lasts two weeks, you eat normal-sized helpings of lean meats, such as chicken, turkey, fish, and shellfish. Vegetables are also allowed, as are nuts, cheese, and eggs. A salad with real olive oil dressing is fine. Coffee and tea are OK, and lots and lots of water is required.
Forbidden in those first 14 days, however, are fruit, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, or baked goods. No sugar, ice cream, cookies, or cake. And no alcoholic drinks of any kind (wine, fruit and whole-grain breads may be added back to the diet in subsequent phases).
Highly processed carbohydrates cause a cycle of overeating, says Agatston. White bread, for example, is digested quickly, resulting in a spike in insulin levels. Once the carbohydrates are used up, he says, you're left with too much circulating insulin, which causes your body to crave more food. Eating simple carbohydrates makes you want to eat more simple carbohydrates, and in the process, you gain weight, disrupt your lipid levels, and expose your cardiovascular system to unnecessary stress.
A typical South Beach diet breakfast is two eggs and lean bacon. Lunch is salad greens with grilled chicken. A small amount of dry-roasted nuts makes up an afternoon snack. Dinner is lean meat again with fiber-rich vegetables. Cheese and low-fat yogurt are allowed, as is sugar-free gelatin for dessert.
According to Agatston, at the end of two weeks, most South Beach dieters are eight to 14 pounds lighter. He says the weight loss doesn't happen because you're eating less, but rather because eliminating simple carbohydrates has broken a bad eating cycle. As a result, you'll continue to lose weight after the initial two-week period ends.
It's a well-established fact that rapid weight loss can be achieved when your body does not have carbohydrates to digest. This state is called ketosis.
The second phase is similar to the first phase, but you'll start to reintroduce some of the banned foods. You can start eating high-fiber carbohydrates, such as whole-grain breads, which raise your insulin levels in a much milder way that do simple, starchy carbs.
"We don't want prolonged, severe weight loss," says Agatston. "You stay on the second phase only until you reach your goal weight."

In the mid-1990s, I became disillusioned with low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets. They didn't work for many of my patients, especially over the long haul. Being a cardiologist, my concern was not for my patients' appearance, of course: I wanted to find a diet that would help prevent or reverse heart disease.
I never found such a diet. Instead, I developed it myself.
The South Beach Diet is not low-carb. Nor is it low-fat. Instead, it teaches you to rely on the right carbs and the right fats--the good ones--so you lose weight, lower your cholesterol, reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes, and get rid of cravings without feeling hungry.
In one 12-week study of 40 overweight people, those who followed the South Beach Diet lost an average of 13.6 lb, almost double the 7.5 lb lost by those on the strict "Step II" American Heart Association (AHA) diet. And the South Beach group showed greater decreases in waist-to-hip ratio (belly fat) and triglycerides, and their good to bad cholesterol ratio improved more. Plus, only one person dropped out compared with five in the AHA group.
By choosing the right carbs and the right fats, you simply won't be hungry all the time, and portion sizes will take care of themselves.
Caution: If you have kidney problems, talk to your doctor before starting this diet. If you have diabetes, get tested to make sure that your kidneys are not impaired before starting this diet.

May 27th, 2007, 01:39
Dr. Agatston has authored over 100 articles and abstracts for scientific journals. His pioneering work in noninvasive cardiac imaging has resulted in computerized tomography scanning methods and measures that bear his name: the Agatston Score and the Agatston Method, which are used for screening coronary calcium, are recognized worldwide.

Dr. Agatston did not set out to develop a weight-loss plan. His goal was to help his chronically overweight heart patients get their diets under control, thereby preventing or reversing the myriad of heart and vascular problems associated with obesity. Knowing that his patients weren't faring well on the standard, low-fat American Heart Association diet, Dr. Agatston began to investigate diets and the origins of insulin resistance on his own.

The result was the South Beach DietтДв, which was offered to numerous heart patients in Florida with impressive results. He presented his findings at a national meeting of the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association. The word spread throughout Miami, prompting the local ABC affiliate to do a monthlong series on the South Beach DietтДв, which was repeated for two years.

Dr. Agatston's clinical cardiology practice is still very much devoted to prevention. He lectures extensively on prevention nationally and internationally and reviews for major medical cardiology journals. Dr. Agatston maintains an active, full-time cardiology practice, both clinical and research.

May 27th, 2007, 01:57
Atkins, Schmatkins, Southo Beach, Groucho Beach, the Zone, the Schmone, wake up and smell the green tea: DIETS ALMOST ALWAYS FAIL. Well over 90 percent of the time.

http://www.snyderhealth.com/printable_p ... _plans.htm (http://www.snyderhealth.com/printable_pages/diet_plans.htm)
http://walking.about.com/cs/diet/a/dietsdontwork.htm

The way some people talk about some fad diet or another, its like they are true believers in a cult. Keep a clear head. Diets fail almost all the time. Be awake not a hypnotized fat snake.

You are correct, I did find the latest research shows that Atkins doesn't cause heart attack. However, most people fail at Atkins (mostly by just not sticking with it), just like any other diet.

Ever wonder why the "diet industry" is a multi-billionaire dollar business and its profits are pretty much dependent on diets FAILING almost all of the time, which good for their profits, they do. If these diets cured everyone of obesity, they would be out of business.

May 27th, 2007, 03:36
Jingthing, I agree that for many diets fail--I don't know that I would call all diets "fads" as many have been well researched and studied, etc, but what is the alternative to a diet if someone is overweight and their health is in jeopardy--studies have shown for men that even carrying a little extra weight at the waistline can increase the odds of having a heart attack or stroke, even if your current blood pressure, etc is ok. One alternative is to simply eat less and exercise more, but isn't that also some form of a "diet"?

Most fail at diets because they do not do their "homework" before starting and/or they have unrealistic expectations before starting. Many begin such rigorous and difficult diet plan of eating or exercise that there is no way possible that they will be able to maintain it. Diets will succeed in many cases if the individual talks with their dr or other nutritional expert, does some research, sets reasonable and attainable goals, makes the diet part of their regular routine, so that it really becomes not a "diet", but a way of living more healthy. Diets do take some willpower/self discipline that many do not have--otherwise those individuals may not have become overweight by eating anything and drinking anything they come across and not doing any exercise to speak of. I am certainly not an expert, but I think that when one is overweight and your health may be in jeopardy, failing to take some action may well lead to dire consequences.

May 27th, 2007, 03:44
I agree if you are fat, it is better to be not fat for all the usual reasons that everyone knows.

The truth is though over 90 percent of fat adults die fat.

So all I am saying is that it isn't as easy as to say just do it fat bitch or get some will power. At this point in human history, the so called experts are just not delivering. I think this will be solved medically in the future. Yes, a magic pill. I think it really is coming as the research on the biology of obesity is really advancing. Who could have predicted boner pill Viagra? Only problem, probably too late for many of us. For now, of course, make an effort, but if you fail, you are in good company. And of course you have to change your whole "lifestyle" (I hate that word but I guess it works here) and forget about "temporary" measures, they almost always backfire. In other words, in most cases, dieters end up even FATTER than if they hadn't dieted in the first place, which is actually worse for your health than doing nothing.

Given these grim statistics, how many people imagine, oh I am so different, the odds don't apply to me. Well, they do, for most people anyway, over 90 percent or higher. So what to do for health? See a doctor. Get medication for diseases like high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Maintain some kind of regular aerobic exercise program (with some strength training would be much better) at a level that is both beneficial and you can realistically maintain for life. Try to find an exercise mode that is actually fun for you. Learn about eating a healthy diet (reduce fats and make the carbs you eat more complex, eat fruits and vegetables, use olive oil not butter, and cut down on the beer and deserts). Then relax. You probably won't lose any or much weight, but if you do those things statistically you will still live almost as long as the gym fanatics. Its not always about QUANTITY. Killing yourself just for a few years at the very end of your life quite often isn't worth it. Those are quite often the worse years anyway ...

May 27th, 2007, 05:23
i dont mind u thinking im a cop out (fat and happy) i gave up smoking because of lung disease,and i have put on weight.But at least i can get a breath.If im right,i think you had to get up very early one morning and put me in an ambulance at the cafe royale,i wasnt trying to take the piss out of you.Goodluck with your diet i will see you next Feb.Hope your health improves.

May 27th, 2007, 05:33
Something to consider, most hard working people don't get really rich.
Most hard dieters don't get really thin.
Our creator if you believe in one has a real sense of humor.

May 27th, 2007, 05:53

What a ridiculous thing to say - of course over 90% of fat adults die fat - I would say 100% - if fat people die then its 100%.
Also, over 90% of thin adults die thin.

:drunken:

May 27th, 2007, 06:09

What a ridiculous thing to say - of course over 90% of fat adults die fat - I would say 100% - if fat people die then its 100%.

You're a bit too literal, but good one ...

May 27th, 2007, 07:45
i dont mind u thinking im a cop out (fat and happy) i gave up smoking because of lung disease,and i have put on weight.But at least i can get a breath.If im right,i think you had to get up very early one morning and put me in an ambulance at the cafe royale,i wasnt trying to take the piss out of you.Goodluck with your diet i will see you next Feb.Hope your health improves.

Hi Damien500,

You wouldn't have been the first I had to get out of bed to help into an Ambulance from there, believe me! One of the "perks" I had for being the only one who lived on the premises.

The point I was making really in the thread, is I am on this diet through choice, I am also a person who has quit the fags, and I was never,fat, in all my years out here.

It should, in effect, if it has not been a long term problem for me,[a bit overweight] to be relatively easier to get rid of!

Jingthing,

The problem with a lot of these fad diets as you put it, I think, is that is how people treat them, they are going on holiday, want to wear the skimpy swimming trunks. crash diet for a month before, usually with no physical exercise, and then think they can binge away and put it all on, with the faint promise of losing it when they return home!

That is a Fad diet!

Also, those kind of Yo Yo diets, I think, are dangerous for their health.

Those of us who are making a lifestyle change, it is different, I hope.

A lot of people fail giving up smoking and drinking, if you want to look at it like that, It is not the diet that fails, its the person doing it that falters.

You can't start with I'm not going to bother in case I fail, we'd all stay in bed and not get up.

Hope to see you next year, if I am down that way Damien, Good luck.

May 27th, 2007, 14:19

You're a bit too literal, but good one ...

Glad you took it in the way i wrote it - in jest - i hope ;o)

May 27th, 2007, 21:32
Maybe someone will start a business where people can go which will help us loose weight in Pattaya. I checked with Fairtex since I thought they would have one, but they don't.

Since Kquill brought up the topic, I have been on-line looking at "Diets". The problem I see for me is that most of my meals are eaten out and most programs want you to buy their pre-packaged food, or make your own with their recipe. I understand exercise and enjoy it once I get started but starting is really difficult for me and probably for most.

The most successful diet program I have ever been on was in Los Angeles. There was a gym that had a nutritionist, an exercise trainer, and a message therapist. The nutritionist was great. She asked what were the ten places I liked to eat at most. She then went to the restaurants and customized 3 meals from each place. The trainer was probably like most, but kept me interested in doing the work 4 days a week (3 days I went alone and just rode the bike). After the workouts with the trainer I got a massage. It worked well but was a bit expensive. When I got close to my goal, I stopped going but kept the weight off almost 3 years. The best part for me was the nutritionist setting up the menus.. I really wish there was a program like this in Patty....at a smaller fee.

Hey Kquill...maybe a business venture???

May 27th, 2007, 21:49
Pattayamale,

It would be good and there's food for thought!!

I am sure a correct set up would attract Thai and Western clientele, if the venue were of a good standard and offering overall packages like the LA situation. Why not, budgeted accordingly,it could work!

Brad the Impala
May 28th, 2007, 03:09
Any reason why this dreary thread, with minimal reference to gay or thailand, continues to pollute the Gay thailand forum.

Are there too many butts, not enough butts, or has jinks just butted out?

elephantspike
May 28th, 2007, 12:03
Are there too many butts, not enough butts, or has jinks just butted out?

Too much butt. More cushion for the pushin'.

That's an awfully big but, Dottie. Why do you have to have such a big butt? :booty:

May 28th, 2007, 14:08
Before you get angry with my post,Spike,that BRAD poster started it,he doesnt like fat people,
he s the type I see when im getting on the aeroplane and im walking down the aisle to my vacant seat and you see the cunts sitting down staring at you,hoing you havent got the seat next to them.

Wx40afp,

Now, if you don't mind, I want you to tell Brad exactly how it is!!

By the way Brad, any super exciting posts on the property market or just having a sulk with the moderators because they aren't jumping to your tune???

I shouldn't explain really, but if people were so bored with it,[the post] it would have filtered out and slid down the board into oblivion.

May 28th, 2007, 14:51
Multiply your ideal weight--in pounds by 14.5*--In kilos by 29--to find your maintance daily caloric intake: If you ideal weight is 150 lbs\68 kilos, your maintance allowance is 2,200 calories a day. You must cut 3,000 calories from your diet to lose a pound--You overate 3,000 for each pound you are overweight--so, eat 1,200\day x 6 days and binge on 2,200 one-day-a week, you should lose 2-Lb-a-week. The first week, however, you may lose 5 to 10 pounds: by emptying you stomach. See?... you really are FOS!

Perspective on the, 'drink diet soda and you just eat more,' thing: I just looked at a 12 oz. can of 'regular' cola. It contains 170 calories. Last time I looked at a can of regular Pepsi in Thailand; it had 300 calories. If you're dieting or not, which would you rather have: 300 calories of sugar or 300 calories of food?*

My weight is now within my weight scale but I want to lose four kilo more. I don't, consciously, diet. I eat five-or-six-meals-a-day--Small meals, two-or-three of which are healthy snacks: fruit, carrot sticks, celery with Farmer's Cheese & raisins. Fortunately; my favorite foods are healthy foods: contrary what your may hear; I don't like booze: Far as I'm concerned; the best thing to do with champagne is fuck in it--Or make braised sauerkraut. I hate fast food and so called "prepared" foods.
It may take a year to take off 4 kilo but, at least, I'll not have put it on--So I keep at it.

Eat like a Thai\Eat like I falang: Big difference I see: falang eat entirely too much meat. A-quarter-pound-a-day is enough.

I exercise for muscle tone, not for endurance or weight loss. A, daily, walk around the block (Swing your arms: good for the heart and keeps the boobs perky!) is enough for us older broads--And can make the the difference in avoiding a hip or knee replacement later on.

Atkins: Consumer Guide gave Dr. Atkins High Energy Diet (Original Name) one star (The only diet in the one star group.) out of a possible four: one star for high emphesis on protein--NOT for low carbs. BTW: Don't drink all the recommended water, you're leaving yourself open for a gout attack.
The "Not Recommended" group includes:
The Pritikin Program,
Last Chance (The [Killer] Liquid Protein Diet),
9-Day Wonder Diet,
Zip Diet (Fasting!),
Boston Police Diet (Don't get locked up in Boston!),
Drinking Man's Diet,
Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution,
Candy Diets,
Grapefruit Diets,
Zen Macrobiotic Diet.

*Look up Nutra Sweet\Aspartame on the web. There seems to be an ongoing arguement--And several law suits-- between the sugar producers (They hire a M.D.: who is not at nutritionist) to run a web site and state their claim that Aspartame causes every illness known to medical science.
Whatever, many nutritionists tell their dieting clients to drink nothing but water: no sodas of any kind, no coffee, tea, beer or booze: they can increase one appitite: who can have a cuppa without a biscuit.

May 28th, 2007, 15:09
Edith,

Two/Three questions please.

1. How can drinking water lead to a Gout problem/attack. This I need to know

2.If I am 6ft 2" tall, I want to be 14st 7lb but have been 15st 7lb for years and years, should I push to change that, I was the latter when I was at school,[ 29 years ago, is it that long!] boxing and running long distance and fit!

How do I know my intake as Atkins speaks nothing of calorie intake???

Lastly, the Pepsi Max says 0 calories, you can't get lower than that???? or is that unhealthy as I only drink it when I feel very hungry outside meal times.

High protein snacks advertised are not available here in Thailand, are they?????

Kevin [ concerned]

May 28th, 2007, 16:07
I am 5'9" (Use to be 5'10") and weigh about 240 lbs (110K ) How many stones???

Anyway...I have chronic kidney disease and am suppose to eat a small amount of protien, since I guess that is better for poor functioning kidneys. I am going to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya tomorrow and get some tests done and am going to ask about a nutritionist. Has anyone used a Thai Nutrionist? Kquill has motivated me to loose some weight and hope to eventually get to 190 lbs. My house has a swimming pool which I never use, but I guess that may be a good start at the exercise part.

Kquill, maybe we can put a fine luxury facility where Monty's pool use to be in Sunee. Build up 3 floors so we can have a running track on the top. One floor could be an arobics room surrounded by weight room. And bottom floor could be a Throb 2 bar. :)
:blackeye:

May 28th, 2007, 16:41

Anyway...I have chronic kidney disease and am suppose to eat a small amount of protien, since I guess that is better for poor functioning kidneys. I am going to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya tomorrow and get some tests done and am going to ask about a nutritionist. Has anyone used a Thai Nutrionist? Kquill has motivated me to loose some weight and hope to eventually get to 190 lbs. My house has a swimming pool which I never use, but I guess that may be a good start at the exercise part.

Kquill, maybe we can put a fine luxury facility where Monty's pool use to be in Sunee. Build up 3 floors so we can have a running track on the top. One floor could be an arobics room surrounded by weight room. And bottom floor could be a Throb 2 bar. :)
:blackeye:

Back to the same problem there though PM, You can't buy property in Sunnee, only rent. I don't understand why Peter has done nothing with it as I believe, it is part of his lease.

A fitness place, not scary and daunting but with a lot of thought, work and effort including Dieticians/nutritionists, Instructors purpose designed programmes etc I feel sure could do OK.

Add back the extras, as in massage facilities, Relaxation rooms, TV lounges and a pool it would be good.

May 28th, 2007, 16:58
Edith,

Two/Three questions please.

1. How can drinking water lead to a Gout problem/attack. This I need to know

2.If I am 6ft 2" tall, I want to be 14st 7lb but have been 15st 7lb for years and years, should I push to change that, I was the latter when I was at school,[ 29 years ago, is it that long!] boxing and running long distance and fit!

How do I know my intake as Atkins speaks nothing of calorie intake???

Lastly, the Pepsi Max says 0 calories, you can't get lower than that???? or is that unhealthy as I only drink it when I feel very hungry outside meal times.

High protein snacks advertised are not available here in Thailand, are they?????

Kevin [ concerned]

It's NOT drinking the water that can bring on a gout attack. Gout is caused by a high uric acid level in the blood. Foods high in purines raise the uric acid level. These include: Peas (Worst) beans, legumes, meat--Especially organ meats (Liver, heart and processed luncheon meats.), smoked meats, beer, canned cherries...a few other things I can't remember--But NOT pie, cake, candy as was believed in the time of Henry IIX: he suffered form gout, he was wealthy, he could afford meat and he ate lots of it.
A high protein diet is high in purines. (And it seems any dieting may raise the uric acid level.) The water is needed to flush out the system. My mama poo-pooed that. She went on Atkins. She had a gout attack. They are painful--Only funny in comic books.

15 stone 7 is 217 pound\98.6 kg. The (ideal) weight range for 6'-2" is 73.5 - 81.5 kg (162 - 180 lb.) for a male of medium frame 78.5 - 88.5 (173 - 194 lb. )if one is a BBB: BigBonedBitch. Your maintance caloric intake is 2,500 to 2,700 calories\day. You should be able to find a calorie chart at the bookstore. If you have a cookbook, chances are there is one in it, innit.

I don't buy the stories put out by the sugar producers--All they care about is selling their poison--but up to you.
I've been drinking diet sodas since Aspartame was introduced twenty years ago and use it in coffee, tea and on cereal, etc. I'm perfectly healthy--Though some will say I'm barking mad...but that's another story and long before diet soda. Everyone in my family is overweight & diabetic; I'm not.

I think I saw some high-protien snacks in ... Family Mart? Some are also high calorie, glorified candy bars. I'd rather have an orange, apple, banana, papaya, pineapple, strawberries, lamoot.... The beauty of six-meals-a-day is I'm never hungry, but I don't, really count calories: I just--By now--know.

Maybe of interest. Amongst the diets rated 4 Star are:
Weight Watchers,
La Costa Spa Diet,
New York Department of Health Diet,
Trims Club,
Royal Sweedish Diet,
Live Longer Diet,
Astronaut Diet,
The Wine Diet (Wine Diet Cookbook),
Helena Rubensteins (1938) Food & Beauty Diet.

Some Low-Carb diets (Other than Atkins) rated 3-Stars are:
Miracle-3 Diet,
Brand-Name carbohydrate Diet,
Thin Forever,
Dr. Yudkin's,
American Diabetes Association, 125 to 300 gr Carb. Diet
If you also avoid saturated fats in cholesterol these diets would move into the 4-star area.

You can probably find most of these diets on the internet. Any one diet too long, I find boring.

Interesting? Weight loss techinique: Acupress. Rub the an area of your body with your thumbnail until skin is red but not broken. (Clean hands, always.)
The area between your breastbone & navel controls hunger pangs.
Points on the elbow & knee control overeating.
The main pressure point is on the upper lip & is stimulated by pinching--But don't expect results for three days.
I think the foreskin may be another: bf is always rubbing it--And he be one skinny-bitch!

Aunty
May 28th, 2007, 17:22

17 stone and 4lbs.

Your BMI is 36. (Obese >30)

Normal weight BMI = 18.5 - 24.9

Aunty
May 28th, 2007, 17:27
[
A fitness place, not scary and daunting but with a lot of thought, work and effort including Dieticians/nutritionists, Instructors purpose designed programmes etc I feel sure could do OK.

Add back the extras, as in massage facilities, Relaxation rooms, TV lounges and a pool it would be good.

I know the perfect excercise too. Naked boys that one chases after! I know I'd always prefer my personal trainer to be naked.

Actually I think a weight loss spa in Thailand would be perfect. I lecture in obesity at University. PM if you need any info.

Aunty
May 28th, 2007, 18:07
Yep, you're right. We certainly have our fair share of fatties.

One of the myths of obesity is that fat people will all die young. WRONG. There is not a shred of scientific evidence that supports such blatant money-making lies. In fact the research shows that overweight (not obese) women live longer than their normal weight counterparts. And for men, overweight (not obese) men there is no effect on their life expectancy. But how many times have we all been pressured to part with our money to loose those few extra pounds so that we can be тАШhealthyтАЩ and not die young? It is true that obese individuals have a reduced life expectancy. But it is only when individuals become grossly obese 80lbs+ (35 kgs+) overweight and smoke, and who have been overweight for a long time that significant amounts of life are lost due to obesity. And even then itтАЩs only about 14 years. Most fat people may loose 2-5 years. Hardly a national fucking crisis. I with glee always enjoy putting up a graph of the increasing incidence of obesity in the US since 1970, and then I superimpose a graph with the increasing life expectancy of Americans throughout that same period. And then I say, you see, as the US is getting fatter, itтАЩs also living longer. You could hear a fucking pin drop! Lol If the anti-fat people want to indulge in lazy poor quality science and scientific analysis, IтАЩll happily oblige and do the same!

May 28th, 2007, 18:52
[

I know the perfect excercise too. Naked boys that one chases after! I know I'd always prefer my personal trainer to be naked.

Actually I think a weight loss spa in Thailand would be perfect. I lecture in obesity at University. PM if you need any info.

Aunty,

Ill get my questions ready and PM to yourself, Brad the Impala, is sulking as he is not keen on the thread, [Estate Agent, perhaps?]

Edith,

I'll also follow up on your information and thanks for your time and trouble.

wx40afp,

Thanks as always for the excellent diet tips, I must meet with your Doctor, he sounds like a great guy, but do you lose any weight on his recommended diet, or is it one where you have had to improvise and adopting a "wait and see" approach??

May 28th, 2007, 20:36
I never realize b4 than I am taller than you KQ. Just went on scale :bounce: wow :bounce: 96 kilo only. Thought I am a fat cow. One tip for all eat the half only and not sweety drinks or food b4 bedtime. :clown:

May 28th, 2007, 21:02
I never realize b4 than I am taller than you KQ. Just went on scale :bounce: wow :bounce: 96 kilo only. Thought I am a fat cow. One tip for all eat the half only and not sweety drinks or food b4 bedtime. :clown:

Krazydragon,

You are a complete, absolute, 100% fucking liar! You are neither taller than me nor do you weigh less!

If that was an attempt to get me to bite, it worked!

I bet you couldn't type the post without laughing!!!

I am quite prepared to have a bet on this AND we can get weighed at the same time!,

I saw your fat belly only last week at Krazy Dragon!

You cannot give tips on this subject, get yourself some NEW scales and a mirror!

May 29th, 2007, 00:32
I think you have a naked picture of you already in your fridge. Hope you not look at your selfes. One inch less and you are a queen! Love you my friend!