PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Passports again and 90 days reporting

Boxer
May 25th, 2007, 00:03
From Pattaya City News.com

Immigration Check Niran Grand Condo in search of illegal foreigners.

Police Colonel Itipon, the Superintendent of Pattaya;s Immigration Bureau along with Police Colonel Sutin, the Superintendent of Pattaya Police accompanied by Immigration Police Volunteers made their way to the Niran Grand Condo Complex in Soi Arunothai in Central Pattaya on Wednesday Afternoon. The purpose of the operation was to conduct an inspection of each of the four main condo blocks in search of foreigners with either expired visas or those who have entered Thailand illegally and do not possess a valid passport. The search led to the arrest of one man from Russia who was not in the possession of a passport. He will be dealt with in accordance with Immigration Laws. The Immigration Police would like to warn viewers that random checks on foreigners will be made over the coming weeks so please ensure that you carry your original passport with you at all times and for those who are residing in Thailand on long stay visas, you must report to the Immigration Office every ninety days confirming your current address and telephone number. Failure to do this can result in a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht.

May 25th, 2007, 00:13
A Friend of mine lifes there. Was scared to leave the condo as his passport is four weeks over. Silly sod. But you try and tell him.

May 25th, 2007, 00:47
It seems like there is hardly a week goes by when the Thai Immigration Police find some new way to bash foreigners by reviving old unused laws and changing the existing ones. I sympathize with their need to control illegalities but insisting that all foreigners carry their original passport with them at all times is ludicrous when a copy would suffice - certified if necessary - or why not issue ID cards to retirement visa holders? Carry your passport on the beach, in the Disco, at the swimming pool!!

They are always making life difficult for the majority to control a small minority. I mean Immigration have records of all foreigners home addresses and know when they are late in reporting. Time to send an Immigration policeman to call. They have been talking about making the 90 day reporting possible on the internet instead of the need to call in at their office. When if ever? All you are doing is confirming your home address and it can be done by mail in many parts of the country.

Rant over. Thank you Boxer for the advice. I will be carrying my passport for the near future. Mind you in 13 years of visiting and living in Thailand I have yet to be asked for sight of it. Even at banks and places where they ask I find a laminated copy is readily accepted.

May 25th, 2007, 02:39
There are two issues here, putting aside for one minute the crux of the matter in that the Immigration police are being totally unreal in thinking that foreigners will have their passport with them at all times.
Yes, those who are there with 90 day visas will have their address recorded on a data base with the need to upgarade it every 90 days, BUT those with the ordinary 30 day tourist visas dont do that unless you are counting the fiction that people actually put their actual Thai address on the immigration cards upon arrival.
Second, if the police come to your home at random, and yes that is a cheek and using a hammer to crack a nut of a problem, then they do have a right to expect that the person who lives there will produce his passport.
Now the real issue here is whether these random checks will happen in public places. If that is the case will they allow a person without a passport to fetch it, or be made to pay a fine without question. I am not quite sure what would happen if the withdrawal of funds to get the fine money would need a passport ID to manage. Anyway, if the answer is YES and NO, then the Thai tourist industry will go down the pan, and the treatment of expats will reach unrealistic levels of harrassment.

May 25th, 2007, 02:54
Great for real estate values too. Living in a police state isn't for everybody.

May 25th, 2007, 04:46
Expats in thailand on a retirement VISA would be wise to get a Thai drivers license (whether or whether not you plan to drive). Supposedly that is sufficient "identification" for the boys in brown.

I for one, refuse to carry my original Passport at all times.

May 25th, 2007, 05:16
Expats in thailand on a retirement VISA would be wise to get a Thai drivers license (whether or whether not you plan to drive). Supposedly that is sufficient "identification" for the boys in brown.

I for one, refuse to carry my original Passport at all times.
That would be useless in a real immigration check. For that, they need passport and visa and stamp/extension.

bucknaway
May 25th, 2007, 06:27
It is almost as if the lawmakers in Thailand are trying to tell us something.... I wonder what message they are trying to communicate to us all?????

May 25th, 2007, 06:30
Funny that it's always in Pattaya, too. Perhaps they're sending a message to the type of people who choose to make it their home?

May 25th, 2007, 07:28
It is almost as if the lawmakers in Thailand are trying to tell us something.... I wonder what message they are trying to communicate to us all?????

There are NO lawmakers in Thailand right now. Its still a Military Dictatorship.

Intresting they picked out only one condo to hit. Were they looking for someone? They did find "someone" but was that the one they were looking for?

May 25th, 2007, 07:41
They have been talking about making the 90 day reporting possible on the internet instead of the need to call in at their office. When if ever?

http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/dform/form_tm47.php

I bookmarked that page in March (2007), so it has been an option for at least a few months now.

May 25th, 2007, 07:47
The "boys in brown" will perhaps be satisfied with seeing a Thai drivers license, but would a Thai Immigrations Police officer? The underlined part in the OP is a warning from the Immigrations Police.

May 25th, 2007, 08:06
When will you guys (gals) understand the Thai people? They DON"T CARE ! Don't care if you come to spend money in Thailand. Don't care if you buy property, household goods, cars, meals etc.
Your lives I think would be much better if you stopped thinking about how they do it back home in your country. In Thailand (dare I say it once more) they don't care !

May 25th, 2007, 08:11
When will you guys (gals) understand the Thai people? They DON"T CARE ! Don't care if you come to spend money in Thailand. Don't care if you buy property, household goods, cars, meals etc.
Your lives I think would be much better if you stopped thinking about how they do it back home in your country. In Thailand (dare I say it once more) they don't care !

News for them, nor do I care!!

May 25th, 2007, 08:33

Hate to admit it... but I agree with you. The question is: For those of us who STILL want to live here what do we do? Bitching and moaning will not get us anywhere :drunken: :idea: :idea:

May 25th, 2007, 08:42
Does anyone know of any other major tourism country where Police routinely raid 4 condo blocks and check all tourists and visa holders for their credentials? Is it only in Pattaya?

Of course not it's ludicrous. All this effort and upset resulted in ONE person being found to be without a passport.

Boxer
May 25th, 2007, 12:06
But surely the Raid was done to save having to warn everyone again. One raid and the press and forums such as this do the rest for them. You have all been warned now they can say, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Maybe it was a warning to the Condo operators too to file their occupants returns daily as they should do. Im surprised they only found ONE person, must have been very poor intelligence for that raid with 150 officers involved etc etc. TIT.

May 25th, 2007, 12:37
But surely the Raid was done to save having to warn everyone again. One raid and the press and forums such as this do the rest for them. You have all been warned now they can say, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Maybe it was a warning to the Condo operators too to file their occupants returns daily as they should do. Im surprised they only found ONE person, must have been very poor intelligence for that raid with 150 officers involved etc etc. TIT.

Not possibly a waste of money and resources, Nah, that couldn't happen, could it????

May 25th, 2007, 14:02
BangkokBoy on Lonely Planet posted

"I drink with lots of Thai lawyers and all of them have told me the same thing - there is NO requirement in Thai law that a foreigner must CARRY his passport with him at all times. The law states that it must be AVAILABLE for inspection by relevant authorities. It's okay to have the passport in the safe at the hotel / at home / in a bank safety deposit box. As long as it can be produced when accompanied by an authorised official to view it, then the law is satisfied.

It makes sense, however, always to carry a copy on one's person when out and about, just as Thai nationals ARE required by law to carry their ID card at all times.

I've had my passport details page downsized to credit card size and laminated, and on the 2 occasions in 9 years that I've been asked to produce it, the police have accepted this.

The penalty fine may be applied to people who cannot PRODUCE the passport, NOT to those who haven't got it on their person."

May 25th, 2007, 14:20
Wowpow. I have also heard this. I have always been told in Australia that when you go overseas always put your pass port in a safe place.

I shall do as you say and carry a copy and lock my passport in the Hotel safe.

May 25th, 2007, 15:23
Wowpow. I have also heard this. I have always been told in Australia that when you go overseas always put your pass port in a safe place.

I shall do as you say and carry a copy and lock my passport in the Hotel safe.

Stop worrying, no one wants an Aussie passport! Even Monty is really a Brit.

You know what the Aborigines used to call the place??.....................................OURS!

May 25th, 2007, 16:35

That's right. All they police needs to do is checking on revolting foreigners hanging every day around on beach road or side soi's near Royal Garden Complex during late afternnon drining the cheapest thai wiskey possible.

May 25th, 2007, 16:46

That's right. All they police needs to do is checking on revolting foreigners hanging every day around on beach road or side soi's near Royal Garden Complex during late afternnon drining the cheapest thai wiskey possible.

How about all 150 officers involved in the raid had "poor intelligence" That sounds nearer! doesn't it????

TrongpaiExpat
May 25th, 2007, 20:24
How do they "raid 4 condo blocks and check all tourists and visa holders". Anyone know the method, do they just knock on doors? What if you don't answer, are doors kicked in? Do they block all the exits? If not seems to me "raid" is the wrong word.

May 26th, 2007, 10:04
The most frightening thing is when you answer a knock on the door it could be the cops AND Pattaya City News!
You could be broadcast in all your glory all over Pattaya TV and the internet!

[/img]

May 26th, 2007, 12:24
What happens if you don't answer the door? Would they knock all the doors down?

May 26th, 2007, 12:34
Does anyone know of any other major tourism country where Police routinely raid 4 condo blocks and check all tourists and visa holders for their credentials? Is it only in Pattaya?There are certainly many of us who think that Pattaya should be a country all by itself, but for the moment it's still part of Thailand

TrongpaiExpat
May 26th, 2007, 12:46
The poor fella is clad only in a towel. Where's the boy from last night? Don't you Pattaya people have peep holes and look before you open the door? Better yet, don't answer the door.

May 26th, 2007, 12:52
Better yet, don't answer the door.

Why, Trongpai, do you owe people money?

May 26th, 2007, 13:08
DELETED

TrongpaiExpat
May 26th, 2007, 13:08
Better yet, don't answer the door.

Why, Trongpai, do you owe people money?

Nope, my papers are in order and my bills paid but I prefer not be a poster child for the Immigration Police. Now, if you come a knockin at my door I would be tempted to answer in the style of the Three Stooges with a bucket of water!

PM me if you want my address.

May 26th, 2007, 13:25
Nope, my papers are in order and my bills paid but I prefer not be a poster child for the Immigration PoliceThere's far too much impertinence these days. People knocking at the door uninvited, and people telephoning uninvited. I never answer my mobile phone unless from caller ID I can see who it is. People have a perception that their call (phone or in person) is somehow important to the person whom they are calling, or that they have a right to do so (the police or immigration officials)

May 26th, 2007, 13:44
"I drink with lots of Thai lawyers and all of them have told me the same thing

Well if a drinking lawyer says its ok, I'm going to believe it. Thanks

May 26th, 2007, 16:00
Thanks for the link bkk_gwm I have now added it to my bookmarks also.

Have you used it? I am curious how it works. Do they reply via email, and tell you when you need to next report?
No, I haven't used it yet, as I've been travelling and not needed to do a 90-day report since December. I do plan to try the online form next time I need to do a report, however I will do it seven days before my due date, and then if I get no verification/reply, will wander down to Jomtien Immigrations on the due date to see what has transpired (or not).

May 26th, 2007, 16:11
Thanks John - I have bookmarked it also. It will be great if it works. Thank you!

May 27th, 2007, 02:40
Where can one go to get a copy made to credit card size, im arriving next week

May 27th, 2007, 07:51
Where can one go to get a copy made to credit card size, im arriving next week

Any kodak shop or similar.

HawaiiBoy
May 27th, 2007, 09:35
Here's another suggestion. Scan your passport and other vital documents and email yourself a copy you can retrieve while on holiday. Should the originals be stolen or destroyed you will be ever-so-thankful the copies are available!

thrillbill
May 27th, 2007, 10:58
--Maybe my country (the USA) who thinks they have the answer to everything should look at Thailand (or Japan, or other countires) to see how they handle foreigners who stay illegally or beyond their permitted stay. :cheers:

May 27th, 2007, 11:37
--Maybe my country (the USA) who thinks they have the answer to everything should look at Thailand (or Japan, or other countires) to see how they handle foreigners who stay illegally or beyond their permitted stay. :cheers:

How does your country deal with it?

May 27th, 2007, 12:05
Handcuff them, throw them in a van, and dump them over the border.

May 27th, 2007, 14:28
I shall let everyone know if it works. Now I must rest.

May 28th, 2007, 22:38
Regarding a passport, does any one know where u can get 1 of those small neck bags into which u can put your passport as if i leave in my trousers im bound to lose it in some bar etc

May 29th, 2007, 00:07
Regarding a passport, does any one know where u can get 1 of those small neck bags into which u can put your passport as if i leave in my trousers im bound to lose it in some bar etc
Lets revisit reality. People aren't carrying their ORIGINAL passports around town at night in dodgy neighborhoods like Sunnee, and hell, all of Pattaya/Jomtien. Its all dodgy. Don't do it. Its too risky. Carry a copy of the relevant pages. There is no crackdown on the streets.

bing
May 29th, 2007, 01:51
You can get one on line at www.magellans.com (http://www.magellans.com)

May 29th, 2007, 07:20

How does your country deal with it?

We wring our hands and protest mightily.
Then we hire them under the table for cheap to do our yardwork and take care of the kids.

May 29th, 2007, 15:05
From the horses mouths. No internet reporting of residence every 90 days is possible. Also first time applications for retirement visa must deposit $$$ in the bank 3 months prior to application. Second, third etc. NOT needed 3 months prior. From the horses mouths (immigration people). This is Pattaya. Who knows about other provinces or cities? I must rest now.

May 29th, 2007, 15:35
About the money seasoned in the bank issue:

That might possibly be news.
So a specific person told you this at the Jomtien immigration office, in person?
Was that person at the retirement extension desk?
Do you have his NAME? Rank? Was he a senior officer?

I won't be fully convinced until we get reports that people are doing this the SECOND time, so this still might take some years to by fully reliable. Or an official change from the central authorities in Bangkok.It is already known they have given "exceptions" for people who didn't know yet. I agree they are definitely hard core on FIRST TIME extensions.

May 29th, 2007, 16:16
Yes, from the same officer that has held down the retirement desk for years now. I am sure he understood my question also. He was forceful in his answer. No doubt. I believe him. Now I must rest.

May 29th, 2007, 17:40
Cool! Anyone who tries this, please report the results.

BTW: Your report is really appreciated. Thanks for that and thanks for not taking my skeptical questioning the wrong way. Be aware that as long as central Bangkok immigration hasn't made a clear statement about that, they could crackdown on provincial offices anytime they wanted.

May 31st, 2007, 08:11
... do we need to carry our passports or will a copy do

May 31st, 2007, 10:48
... do we need to carry our passports or will a copy do

Whitedesire,

I would only carry a copy if I was you. You can tell them the original is in your safety box and you can get it if they require it.[easily accessible]

I don't accept they will fine you for this otherwise Jomtien Beach would be swimming with lost and stolen passports causing them untold grief, with a great many irate people at Immigration doors blaming them.

They are well aware of those dangers.Besides that it is unrealistic and neither sensible nor logical.

One thing I have found dealing with Thai Officials is that they are very logical in their thinking as a rule.

May 31st, 2007, 11:57
[

One thing I have found dealing with Thai Officials is that they are very logical in their thinking as a rule.[/quote]

K. Please remember that when you post on here we can't see your tongue in cheek. Ohhhhhhh