PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates island to be built off Phuket?

May 21st, 2007, 21:21
No one contacts me about Gates' project : Phuket Governor The Nation

Phuket Governor Niran Kallayanamitr denied on Monday a media report that he agreed with Microsoft founder Bill Gates's project to construct a man made island off the resort of Phuket for his yachts. The project was inspired by a recent visit of Gates to the resort island recently.

Reuters quoted cordless telephone tycoon Gulu Lalvani as saying that Gates visited Phuket last month with his wife on a 54 metre yacht and he loved it so much. Gates told Lalvani that Phuket was one of the best holidays he'd had, and he would come back every year if only he had somewhere for his mega yacht." "The governor is a close friend," Lalvani said. "We'd discussed it before, but after Bill Gate's visit, he sanctioned the project," he said.

Niran said that no one contacted him about the project. "I just learnt about it from the media," he said. Considering tourism strategies, Niran said that it would be good for Phuket to have more ports for yachts.

However he said the project would be studied to know an urgency and environmental impacts.

The Nation

jinks
May 22nd, 2007, 04:05
Govt open to man-made isle plan for Phuket

Exclusive mooring for rich needs to be carefully studied

Tourism and Sports Minister Suvit Yodmani yesterday welcomed the idea of building a man-made island off the coast of Phuket to provide an exclusive mooring for billionaires' yachts, saying that it could promote a good image for Thailand's tourism.

FULL STORY = THE NATION (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/05/22/headlines/headlines_30034848.php)

{NB I only cut n pasted part :) }