View Full Version : Don plaza development

May 21st, 2007, 09:01
Gents,

During the week on two separate evenings I was in Sunnee having a few beers. The new Don plaza devcelopment was lit up in all its glory.

The premises are well done, re furbished to a great standard [ from what I could see] but no customers.

It can't be said the area was quiet because it wasn't.

Is this too advanced for Sunee at this time?? is it not what people want in that area??

Early days, Yes, but you would think by the comments on this board there would have been a few more punters.

I would definitely, if I owned it dim the outside lighting down, this in turn would tone it down with the surrounding bars, save money on electric, and make it much less intimidating, and if people ventured in, they would not feel the "goldfish bowl effect!"

May 21st, 2007, 09:19
I think the denizens of Sunee Plaza probably scurry away from places that are "all lit up", just like cockroaches when you turn on the kitchen light.

May 21st, 2007, 12:37
Nice place but wrong concept for the area (It just doesn't fit in). I for one liked the outdoor bar that was there and miss that seating area that gave the best sight seeing views. The clubbing bar and resturant always seem empty and the one end that was the gogo is still closed and unused. Don't know how he got investors to invest. This is a place where one can imagine the police going door to door checking on occupants even tho I am sure the ID check will be in place.

May 21st, 2007, 12:51
For sure,

That would always be the fear of staying there at the Don Plaza because of its previous reputation as Amigo's etc. Police visiting aren't going to say the new "Don Plaza Hotel", it will be a simple fact of the "Old Amigo's"

Anyone, wishing ill will to a person staying there could anonymously call the Police with false allegations, and at the very least cause that person problems through no fault of the guest or the premises, the Police more than willing to believe old reputations.

A sensible thing to do, in a very polite fashion, is for Eric or whoever is in charge to go and visit the local Pattaya Police Chief with a basket of goods as a nice gesture and ice breaker.[ make an appointment and don't cold call on him]

Take along designs, photo's , before and after shots of the premises and explain exactly what alterations have been done, carried out and what rules and regulations are now in place.

They should not presume, the Police Chief automatically knows or is aware of the works that have occurred. This can assist him,put a name and face to the premises and enjoy better relations.

Common sense really.

atri1666
May 21st, 2007, 15:35
Erich is only the manager--the boss is Alexander T. from switzerland. I dont know if still connected with cobracrest.

May 21st, 2007, 16:54
I know that the restaurant opposite is also part of the Don Plaza empire and one reason why I dont like it is the 'gold fish bowl' problem mentioned in another mail. The lights inside are too bright for me to feel comfortable eating there. A more subtle effect would encourage more customers.
As for the hotel, one of my worries was the fact that the very large windows had been coated with a material that blacks out the inside from the view of passers by. Presumably you could still see out. In my view you have to be able to see inside in order to work out whether to want to go in. Its not welcoming.
I havent yet seen the hotel up and running yet as I left just before it opened but if the lighting enhances the gold fish bowl effect which might be magnified by the floor to ceiling windows, then I can understand why it might not be packing them in.
New bars always take a while to find there feet in the plaza so I am sure it will work with some minor adjustments. (sorry, last sentence could be construed as a pun). As for hotel guests, it will be a case of 'I might try it nextime I am in town' for many visitors. On the other hand who, during the day, wants to walk out into Sunee when it looks its worst.

May 21st, 2007, 21:00
You know I hadn't thought of that. Sunee during daytime is a very depressing area and its only at night that the lights inside and around the bars give it a different look. The soi that Don Plaza is on is mostly made up of closed up buildings and its not till you round the bend that theres a little more life to the place. Maybe if they could secure the lease to the pool and clean it up some it might help give their patrons some options during the day. Another problem is there aren't any resturants in the area open during daytime which means breakfast and lunch means going out of the area to eat.

May 21st, 2007, 21:32
Once you know the squalor is there, it doesn't become less depressing once the sun goes down.

May 21st, 2007, 21:35
It's crazy really,

You go from Boyztown and immediate vicinity and it is full of facilities for eating, daytime and evenings. Sunnee is not really offering any kind of Western service as such.

Aggressive promoting and target marketing is required by owners. The area needs to form a group who are actively interested in improving facilities, the image, the cleanliness [ It is way below Boyztown and Jomtien standards ] , The maids from the Hotels clean the Soi as well as the limited street cleaning that goes on in Boyztown.

A swimming pool facility should be benefitting both the Marine Hotel and Don Plaza and they should make that a priority to sort it out and get it opened up.

Keeping kids out, and I mean the very young, as this used to be a magnet for the people not wanted and/or who should not be there.

Decent management should resolve the above easily, it is just not that difficult.

Why doesn't Sunnee attempt to do what has been done successfully in Boyztown and Jomtien regards working together on promotional activities as it look a bit like every man for himself to the outsider!!

It can still retain this Cafe style culture it has and its own uniqueness but improve its image for the benefit of all.

May 21st, 2007, 23:42
Self policing.

This is what I want to see.
Partying there puts you at risk for a long free stay at Hotel Hell even if you never had any intention of playing with the fire.
The real problem with Sunnee is its pedo rep.
Fine, start a Sunnee Business Guild and pay dues.
One thing the guild does is certify that the members employ only legal age workers.
This is policed by the guild on a regular basis, and a prominent sticker affixed on all participating businesses.
Kind of like, CLEAN FOOD, GOOD TASTE.
Any violations, the sticker goes down, the business gets booted out of the guild.
Problem solved.
Then, also, the police would know where to go.
Kind of like a GOOD mafia. There are so many bad mafias in Pattaya, how about a good one?

It would be kind of fun to think of a good sticker slogan for this:

BARELY LEGAL BUT LEGAL, IF YOU WANT CLEAN GO TO BOYZTOWN
LEGAL BOYS, HAPPY COCKSUCKING
LEGAL BOYS FOR ALL TASTES, WHAT STY BOY YOU LIKE MISTER
GUARANTEED 18 PLUS, RIMMING COSTS EXTRA
SUNNEE CHICKEN TASTES GOOD LIKE CHICKEN, 18 PLUS ONLY!
FINGER CHICKEN GOOD AND LEGAL

Now lets start a contest. Slogan ideas?