PDA

View Full Version : Don't Forget - It's ZIPLOCK Bags now

May 18th, 2007, 20:28
Be aware that such regulations are already in force on some flights. At SVP now you get you ultimate destination, something like "N America" stamped on your boarding pass. I guess this is to flag departure area security screeners of what rules to apply. Not that this could just be done in Tokyo, and save complications here - that would make sense. My last time out of Bangkok at "screening" I was asked if I had any fluids for which I pulled out a small, clear plastic bag which had 2 one-ounce tubes of toothpaste and shaving gel, which were both well, well, well within N. American regulations. However, the screener jumped with joy and waved her hand to her supervisor to kiss her ass as she had "caught" me bringing banned materials on board. The problem, the supervisor told me, was that the international regualtions were that the items had to be in a gallon sized ZIPLOCK plastic bag, my clear plastic bag was (clearly) not gallon sized and not the required ZIPLOCK format. And, of course, I already had two bags checked so they would have to charge me for excess baggage if I decided I wanted them to be checked (I screwed up here - the gate agents have NO idea how many bags u have checked so if ur keen enough to hide your luggage tags, like I usually do anyway, right away you could easily get away with this).

To tell you the truth, I was taken to an area partially blocked from others view and I BELIEVE she (the supervisor) was expecting a small bribe. Was that all? However, I TOLD her she was an idiot, I took the two items in the small, clear plastic bag out of her hand and said I am getting on board. Nothing materialized, to tell u the truth I thought she might get the police to argue this further.

Anyway, this is not the first time lately that some feeble brained woman either on the phone, airport lounge, or in a line at an office (TRIED) to refuse me service or tried to block me from doing something with something like an "o, sir, I can't serve you as you didn't answer the secret question correctly, lately. I have a short temper for this kind of stuff, and I know that many others are quite like me when asked too many "private" questions or some stupidity like the plastic bag saga. Thank someone (not B.) I learned patience in Thailand, but not everyone knows that so just wait for the first story to come along.

Airports in Thailand to impose regulation restricting carriage of liquid next month

Mr. Jermsak Pinthong, the Spokesman of the Airports of Thailand (AoT) board, says Suvarnabhumi Airport and other airports across Thailand will enforce the regulation restricting the carriage of liquid, aerosol and gel, starting June 1st, 2007.

Mr. Jermsak says the regulation will allow each passenger to carry no more than one liter of liquid to the aircraft, and the officials will also measure and inspect them. He says stores inside the airports will contain their liquid products in special plastic bags that have been approved by the authority.

Mr. Jermsak says this regulation is being used in other international airports as it reinforces passengers’ security and prevents potential terrorist acts.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 May 2007

May 18th, 2007, 21:44
Airports in Thailand to impose regulation restricting carriage of liquid next month

Mr. Jermsak Pinthong, the Spokesman of the Airports of Thailand (AoT) board, says Suvarnabhumi Airport and other airports across Thailand will enforce the regulation restricting the carriage of liquid, aerosol and gel, starting June 1st, 2007.

Mr. Jermsak says the regulation will allow each passenger to carry no more than one liter of liquid to the aircraft, and the officials will also measure and inspect them. He says stores inside the airports will contain their liquid products in special plastic bags that have been approved by the authority.

Mr. Jermsak says this regulation is being used in other international airports as it reinforces passengersтАЩ security and prevents potential terrorist acts.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 May 2007

The new rules include a stipulation that no more than 100 cc of any individual type of liquid can be carried through security and that has to be contained in a clear ziplock type bag. This has been standard procedure in the UK and Europe ever since the failed plot to smuggle liquid explosive onto planes in late summer last year. It amazes me that Thailand has been so slow to adopt this seurity measure. Still TIT I suppose.

May 19th, 2007, 00:07
Liquid carry-on limits due June 1 - Bangkok Post

The Airports of Thailand (AOT) has imposed a new rule limiting the amount of liquids which airline passengers may carry on board in accordance with international airport standards.

The new rule will take effect on June 1.

AOT board member Chirmsak Pinthong said the airport agency adopted the new rule limiting liquids carried onboard by airline passengers to allow passengers only 100cc of each kind of liquid, and that total liquids must not exceed one litre in total.

Moreover, liquids brought to aircraft must be packaged in transparent containers. The rule exempts goods bought at duty-free shops in safety-guaranteed packages that can be easily inspected. - (TNA)

rincondog
May 19th, 2007, 05:57
"gallon sized ZIPLOCK plastic bag"

One little error in your report, the bag is to be quart size NOT gallon size. Gallon size will be rejected.

GWMinUS
May 19th, 2007, 06:11
Here in the wonderful USA, the question comes up as to what is a liquid???

Some things are obvious, but why is shaving cream a liquid??
They made me go back and put that in a ZIPLOCK.

Then they let me take my Soft Solid Deoderant on board.

Now, what about Gel-Cap medications???
It will never end!!! :bounce:

May 19th, 2007, 06:56
"gallon sized ZIPLOCK plastic bag"

One little error in your report, the bag is to be quart size NOT gallon size. Gallon size will be rejected.

In case you didn't read I said she said GALLON sized, which is just another reason she was such an idioat.

AND, in the US it is just a clear plastic bag. Well, we've already heard all about British "standards", and well, u might be right. But you do agree that there is no reason it to be a ZIPLOCK bag? I hope, anyway. That's rediculous. Not even in England.

May 19th, 2007, 07:54
Whats so damn important about taking your deodorant and shave cream with you? Why not just plan to buy it at your destination? Nothing else to bitch about?

thrillbill
May 19th, 2007, 08:06
...And with my last trip to the US, security took my bottle of sun screen that I had on my carry on because the container was 10+ ounces BUT it was half empty-- didn't matter. I like how at some duty free shops at the airports AFTER you buy cologne they then tell you about the regulations to North America. I still get pissed off when I have to take my shoes off, my belt ...I want to just strip and stand there naked!!!

May 19th, 2007, 08:40
Whats so damn important about taking your deodorant and shave cream with you? Why not just plan to buy it at your destination? Nothing else to bitch about?

That's usually what I do. And I buy small and leave any leftovers with boyfriend or dump 'em.
What I want to know is why do people thing they need to put this junk in their CARRY-ON bags??
As far as Im concerned the only reason people stuff the overheads with their luggage is that their too lazy or think they're too important to wait at the luggage carosel when they arrive at their destination.
The only things I carry-on is my computer (if I bring it) and my camera bag. No "fluids" necessary.

ohhh my blood is just boiling now thinking of the @#%#$'s jamming thir luggage in the overheads......

May 19th, 2007, 08:54
Did you read about the guy who froze a liter bottle of drinking water, and tried to take it aboard claiming it was a "solid"? They weren't having any of it.

May 19th, 2007, 10:06
I think most people carry this stuff like shaving cream and the like on board is because a)they travel light and that's all the luggage they have or b) AIRLINES CONTINUALLY LOOSE CHECKED LUGGAGE. When airlines can guarantee that luggage checked will make it to the final destination and on the same flight as the passenger, then people will check more. It is not unusual to see people walk into the cabin with some sort of carry on, a shoulder bag and a suit bag, which I disagree with. There is only so much overhead bin room for carry on stuff. When airlines get the checked luggage system right, they can then control this as well.

May 19th, 2007, 11:32
. When airlines get the checked luggage system right, they can then control this as well.[/quote]

In 20 years of flying I have never had checked luggage lost. Fact. Of course I know many do get lost.
But for me, the airlines have got it right.