View Full Version : Police find 19 underage boys in South Pattaya gay bars

May 18th, 2007, 18:45
Police find underage staff at South Pattaya bars - Pattaya Mail
Boonlua Chatree

"An inspection of entertainment outlets in South Pattaya by the assistant district chief of Banglamung and officers from Pattaya Police Station has revealed that many of the staff members were under the legal age for working in licensed premises.
The search was undertaken during the night of May 9-10 by assistant district chief Pongsasit Pitajinan and Pol Lt Col Santi Chainiramai along with a team of officers, following reports that many outlets were operating illegally and allowing underage people onto the premises.
The officers were divided into two teams, one of which searched the bars of Sunee Plaza, noted for its gay go-go bars and beer bars. Police checked the ID cards of more than 60 staff members and found that 19 of them were under the age of 20. Drug tests were performed and licenses of the outlets checked. It was found that 10 outlets were providing service illegally.
The other team searched the beer bars in South Pattaya and found that many of them were operating without legal documentation. The owners of some of the bars were arrested.
Pongsasit claimed that complaints had been received from tourists that many beer bars and other entertainment establishments were operating without a license, and that they were employing staff members who were under the age of 20. Police have ordered that the offending outlets be closed for 30 days, and that the owners of those without licenses apply for the necessary documentat"

Pattaya Mail

May 18th, 2007, 19:31
How very surprising.

TrongpaiExpat
May 18th, 2007, 19:46
60 staff members and found that 19 of them were under the age of 20

So, now it's 20?

dab69
May 18th, 2007, 23:33
Pongsasit claimed that complaints had been received from tourists that many beer bars and other entertainment establishments were operating without a license,

Pattaya Mail

boy that's the first thing I always check in a beer bar to see if they have a proper license

May 19th, 2007, 02:09
So which ones have been closed for the 30 days??? Surely someone would have reported this on here?

Tron....I think you will find its 18 to be a "boy" (i.e. sex worker) but 20 to be a waiter....
G

May 19th, 2007, 04:09
So which ones have been closed for the 30 days??? Surely someone would have reported this on here?

Tron....I think you will find its 18 to be a "boy" (i.e. sex worker) but 20 to be a waiter....
G
Bizarre moral logic, but I like it!
It really is amazing if you think about it. OK for a 18 year to more or less be a legal prostitute but not OK for him to sling drinks. You gotta love this country!

May 19th, 2007, 12:11
Pongsasit claimed that complaints had been received from tourists that many beer bars and other entertainment establishments were operating without a license,

Pattaya Mail

boy that's the first thing I always check in a beer bar to see if they have a proper license

That's the first thing that I check too dab, good to see that there are others here that are as vigilant as me. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

I believe that this is old news and the 19 boys arrested, were part of the 423 arrests made in total in Pattaya recently. I also believe that there has been an error in the reporting of this story, as the boys only need to be 18 to work either as a dancer or waiter. Crazy as it seems, although they only have to be 18 to work in the bars, they have to be 20 to drink in them.

I am sure that I am right in the above, but if not, perhaps one of the bar owners or ex-owners can put us all right on this.

G.

elephantspike
May 19th, 2007, 12:22
Crazy as it seems, although they only have to be 18 to work in the bars, they have to be 20 to drink in them.

Hey, that's the same way as it is in a lot of states in the USA, including mine. Eighteen-year-olds can serve liquor, but they need to be 21 to drink.

I think in Thailand, the spirit of the law is meant not so much to protect young people from alcohol as it is to protect them from being sexually exploited in bars.

May 19th, 2007, 13:05
Crazy as it seems, although they only have to be 18 to work in the bars, they have to be 20 to drink in them.

Hey, that's the same way as it is in a lot of states in the USA, including mine. Eighteen-year-olds can serve liquor, but they need to be 21 to drink.

I think in Thailand, the spirit of the law is meant not so much to protect young people from alcohol as it is to protect them from being sexually exploited in bars.

Well Spike, the fact that they allow them to work in go go bars as dancers at 18, does not sound like they are doing a very good job of protecting them from being sexually exploited. With regards to the drinking laws in some US states, what can I say? The fact that they send their youth off to war at 17, with a weapon in their hands from which so many return in a body bag, whilst making them wait until the age of 21 to take a drink in a bar, makes real good sense to me. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

Spike, for the record, I am not a basher of Americans or the United States, just a basher of the people responsible for such insane laws as the one above. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Peace.gif

G.

elephantspike
May 19th, 2007, 13:54
Spike, for the record, I am not a basher of Americans or the United States, just a basher of the people responsible for such insane laws as the one above.

Yeah. I'm in that camp, too.

It's just that sometimes when people don't understand the way something is in Thailand, they chalk it up to third world backwardness, but in most cases you can find something that is equally senseless in pretty much any supposedly first world country.

May 20th, 2007, 18:55
After complaints from "tourists"?

hmmmmmmm

May 21st, 2007, 08:34

G

Duc's bar and the one adjacent in Sunnee Plaza are closed for licence irregularities.[ I saw this as I called in Corner Bar]

Euroboys, I was told was closed but never ventured in that direction.

Quilte a number of bars have been shut, due to the Authorities claiming certain licences were not in order!

[ Sounds like maybe some have not been handing over the necessary "licence fees"]

May 21st, 2007, 10:07
19 waiters arrested and no bar boys underage - sounds a bit unlikely but so is Sunee Plaza.

It is pretty obvious to even a casual visitor that underage boys are available in Sunee Plaza Bars. The Police raid and close bars with boring regularity but it does not stop. Presumably demand is high.

May 21st, 2007, 12:05
May Authorities looking for something else! Just wondering,why some small places locked up. Not having a lisence! Such a crap! Nothing wrong with this places. Some big places not shut down. No Licenses! May they have better connections. When they going to check the lisences from the food on wheels. :bounce: I guess the waiters had been locked up for bad service! :bom:

May 21st, 2007, 12:14
May Authorities looking for something else! Just wondering,why some small places locked up. Not having a lisence! Such a crap! Nothing wrong with this places. Some big places not shut down. No Licenses! May they have better connections. When they going to check the lisences from the food on wheels. :bounce: I guess the waiters had been locked up for bad service! :bom:

I already said that above!

Thank you for the brandy!! I did come on your contest evening,as I promised but you were busy on the other side of the room.

I spoke to David from Come in bar briefly, who was nearby the entrance.

May 21st, 2007, 12:27
Sorry to hear he is having troubles again. It is a nice quiet bar and a good place to sit and watch the activites going on in the street and he didn't allow the underage boys to hang out there. Please post when he is again open.

May 21st, 2007, 12:41
Sorry to hear he is having troubles again. It is a nice quiet bar and a good place to sit and watch the activites going on in the street and he didn't allow the underage boys to hang out there. Please post when he is again open.

Luvthai,

They say its for 30 days! and there was a 50,000 baht fine involved. A lot of money for a tiny bar to find.

llz
May 22nd, 2007, 03:25
Duc's bar and the one adjacent in Sunnee Plaza are closed for licence irregularities
The one adjacent ... would it be Threezone or Sundance ? (Sorry, lots of memories in one of them ...)

May 22nd, 2007, 06:37
Duc's bar and the one adjacent in Sunnee Plaza are closed for licence irregularities
The one adjacent ... would it be Threezone or Sundance ? (Sorry, lots of memories in one of them ...)

Sundance was open.