PDA

View Full Version : Thai superstition

February 7th, 2006, 01:55
A good friend is thinkingg of buying a property in Thailand and shacking up with his long term Thai boyfriend. They have visited numerous properties but the BF always finds an excuse as to why he doesn't like a particular property. His latest excuse is 'electric cable pole is unlucky outside a house'.

http://upload2.postimage.org/116090/House1.jpg (http://upload2.postimage.org/116090/photo_hosting.html)

This is not the house just an example.

Has anyone heard of this superstition before baring in mind the amount of cables strung from pole/house to pole/house in LOS.

rogered

Dodger
February 7th, 2006, 04:27
The Thai boys fear may be attached to the comittment and not the wires on the pole...just a thought.

cottmann
February 7th, 2006, 05:20
A good friend is thinkingg of buying a property in Thailand and shacking up with his long term Thai boyfriend. They have visited numerous properties but the BF always finds an excuse as to why he doesn't like a particular property. His latest excuse is 'electric cable pole is unlucky outside a house'.

http://upload2.postimage.org/116090/House1.jpg (http://upload2.postimage.org/116090/photo_hosting.html)

This is not the house just an example.

Has anyone heard of this superstition before baring in mind the amount of cables strung from pole/house to pole/house in LOS.

rogered

Your friends BF sounds like a feng shui believer.

February 7th, 2006, 06:04
Superstitious or they know something we don't and maybe should?

On my last visit BF and I were taking an evening stroll in Pattaya. As we went by a fairly well known hotel, I asked him if he had ever stayed there. With a very serious look on his face, in a low tone, he told me:

"Hotel no good, have ghosts".

"How do you know"?

"Have friend who go there with falang, him see ghosts in room. Talk no more, not good".

With that he hurried use along and out of the neighborhood.

On another occasion, BF and I were taking his sister back to the village. A nice 6 hour trip from Pattaya to Buriram. It seems sister was sick in head and needed a special treatment. She had a bad spirit inside and needed help from folks who knew how to chase it away.

Well, we dropped sister off at the family home, we then drove around the village and picked up three spirit ladies who could help sister get well. Back to the house and there was now a small gathering of other women getting things ready. BF and I sat with Dad and his buddies and drank. Guess you could say we were dealing with different types of spirits (local brew and elephant beer).

For the next 3 hours or so, the ladies led by the three spirit ladies, sang, prayed and danced around and with sister. There were some small plants, incense, a small gong and candles being used. Towards the end the dancing got pretty intense. They sprinkled a lot of water on each other. Finally the ladies all came around to where the men sat and sprinkled water on us and made special offerings at the spirit house. BF and I got to take the spirit ladies home.

Not sure if the cure worked, but sister seemed better the next day. I am told the bad spirit had been chased away. I am just glad I had my lucking rabbitтАЩs foot, hadnтАЩt broken any mirrors, and that the spirit did not like possessing tipsy falangs.

February 7th, 2006, 07:02
I know a Thai (not well-educated) who lives in another country and who has feng shui type superstitions about, for example, the placement of the bathroom door in the house. He also believes that chicken blood is no good for you, but duck blood is good for you; duck eggs are also better than chicken eggs

February 7th, 2006, 15:09
Thais are full of superstition, and great at giving reasons not to do something. Just a fact of life.

February 7th, 2006, 15:34
of ancient wisdom preserved in Feng Shui, along with a lot of useless mumbo-jumbo.

February 7th, 2006, 15:38
A couple of years ago my Thai BF and myself were in the Pinnacle Hotel in Bangkok. We were in a room on the 12th floor.

When I awoke the following morning the light was on so I asked the BF why light on. He said 'man in loom last night'. As the door was doubly locked, to pacify him I asked him how did man get in room and why did you not wake me up. He said 'man walk thro wall, sit in chair then leave'.
By the door I asked - 'Yes by door, not open door just walk thro'.

I'm just glad that he didn't wake me, but the first thing I did was to check the mini bar, everything intact, even the spirits.

:druid:

On another occasion in Chiang Mai, I awoke to hear my BF singing in his sleep - in Thai. However what was strange was the background music to his high pitched falsetto voice. Never been able to explain this occurrence to this day.

:dmage:

rogered

February 7th, 2006, 15:52
Similar to other ghosty stories, a Thai bf and I were sleeping when I awoke to hear him moaning and groaning. Suspecting he was either dreaming or had started the early hours fun without me, I turned over to look at him. His eyes were open and he immediately grabbed me saying "lady in bed". He then explained he'd woken up to see a lady with a veil sat between us on the bed looking down at me. He said he tried to look away but she saw him and transferred her gaze to him and then pinned him down. He said he couldn't move and couldn't speak and could only make groaning noise. I would have suspected it to be a dream or nightmare had it not been for the fact that he was awake and as soon as I moved he grabbed me. He made sure he made a decent prayer to the spirit house every night after that. :tweety:

Dodger
February 7th, 2006, 17:15
I spotted this list of Thai Superstitions while surfing the net. The author is a an expat named Richard Barrow:

(1) Do not take off a ring from someone else's finger because you will be taking away the people they love.
(2) Do not spit in the toilet because you will have a mole on your lips.
(3) Do not spit towards the sky because it is a sin.
(4) Do not pluck your eyebrows during the evening because bad things will happen to you.
(5) Do not plough on holy days because the rice won't grow.
(6) Do not say to a baby that they are cute because the ghost will come and take the baby away.
(7) Do not break anything on your wedding day because it is a sign that your marriage won't last.
(8) Do not drop chopsticks during the Chinese New Year because you won't make a good living.
(9) Do not let a woman sit on a staricase for a long time because she will have a difficult labour.
(10) Do not sit higher than a monk because it is a sin.
(11) Do not sit on the big water jars because it is a sin.
(12) Do not sit on pillows meant for your head because you will get a painful rash on your behind.
(13) Do not count off the names of people that have died because you will be next.
(14) Do not keep anything belonging to the temple inside your house because a disaster will happen to you.
(15) Do not offer the same food to your dead ancestors and to the monks because you will then rot in hell.

February 7th, 2006, 17:21
Nothing about electric cable poles then......

TrongpaiExpat
February 7th, 2006, 18:03
The BF told me he has it on good authority that there is a ghost in residence at the Pinnacle. I asked him who the authority was and he named his best friend ong.

Latter I asked Ong, ex bar boy, how he knew that there was a ghost at the Pinnacle and he it was common knowledge among the boys. Some boys will not spend the night at the Pinnacle, others are not afraid.

February 7th, 2006, 18:28
Nothing about electric cable poles then......

ROFL .... and for that one short comment you deserve a karma point :laughing3:

Captain Swing
February 7th, 2006, 21:54
At dinner with my BF in November we ordered a whole steamed fish. After we finished the top side I suggested we turn it over so we could get at the rest. He told me that was bad luck: he had to remove the bones instead so we could eat it without turning it over. I could only smile, because this was about forty-five minutes after I'd told him not to open my umbrella in the hotel room--everyone knows it's bad luck to open an umbrella indoors, don't they?

dab69
February 8th, 2006, 00:17
noting the orderly, quality workmanship of wiring on the pole outside houses there,
perhaps it rates higher than a superstition?

dab69
February 8th, 2006, 00:20
noting the orderly, quality workmanship of wiring on the pole outside houses there,
perhaps it rates higher than a superstition?

February 8th, 2006, 00:30
On another occasion in Chiang Mai, I awoke to hear my BF singing in his sleep - in Thai. However what was strange was the background music to his high pitched falsetto voice. Never been able to explain this occurrence to this day.

Hardly a supernatural phenomenon. We British lie back and think of England when in bed with an uninspiring partner; Thais sing.

February 8th, 2006, 00:52
Dear Miss Thrope

I did my inspiring a few hours previous to this phenomenon. It was super and to me quite natural. I get better the more I practice.

However, this Brit lies back and hopes his heart does not give out before the next event.

rogered

Your love must be cultivated like a garden. Time, effort, and imagination must be summoned constantly to keep it flourishing and growing. :flower:

dab69
February 8th, 2006, 01:48
a thousand sympathies for your uninspired partner...

February 8th, 2006, 02:10
Bahts

:cheers:

February 8th, 2006, 02:13

Aside from Feng Shui, this house indeed does not look good.
How do you feel when, everytime you open the window and door ,the first thing that hit you is the big, ugly pole?
I would not buy that house, even though I am not into Feng Shui.

yaraboy
February 8th, 2006, 09:08
Jimmy tells me that the reason the windows are locked in most rooms is that a guest did a dive ........................Maybe that is why intuitive Thais see ghosts there!

February 8th, 2006, 13:50
[How do you feel when, everytime you open the window and door, the first thing that hit you is the big, ugly pole?

I've opened many a door only to be hit with a big, ugly pole.

Dame Sybil; however; was Queen of the Maypole--And sat on it.

February 8th, 2006, 14:28
Was the Pole described above the former Olympian named Walter?

:tshirt:

February 8th, 2006, 15:14
it sounds like you have a natural born property developer or realtor on you hands. He will lead you to an excellent property.

February 8th, 2006, 17:43
I was very seriously considering buying a unit at the Bay House condo (I think that's the name: Soi 1 across from the Markland hotel garage?), but the main detraction was a big ass telephone pole outside the front balcony view. I decided I could tolerate the garage across the street staring at me, but that ugly monstrosity on the telphone pole helped sour the deal for me. Perhaps it was the Thai superstition/feng shui in my subconscious?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/bkk_gwm/pole.jpg

February 8th, 2006, 23:28
The Thai boy realtor is not my BF, but it would be fun to get my hands on him, now that my BF has gone to be a monk.

rogered :angel12:

February 9th, 2006, 03:33
At dinner with my BF in November we ordered a whole steamed fish. After we finished the top side I suggested we turn it over so we could get at the rest. He told me that was bad luck:

This one is well known amongst Chinese fisherfolk. The belief is that your boat will turn over next time you set sail.

bkkguy
February 13th, 2006, 11:38
this is a link to a car advertisement from Great Britain. When they finished filming the ad, the film editor noticed something moving along the side of the car, like a ghostly white mist. They found out that a person had been killed a year earlier in that exact same spot. The ad was never put on TV because of the unexplained ghostly phenomenon.

Watch the front end of the car closely as it clears the trees in the middle of the screen and you'll see the white mist crossing in front of the car then following it along the road....Spooky!

Is it a ghost, or is it simply mist? You decide. If you listen to the ad, you'll even hear the cameraman whispering in the background about it near the end of the commercial.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3385579284690408654

bkkguy

February 13th, 2006, 12:42
Is this why Thais wont buy a house that a non Thai has lived in? At least this is what I read on a post here,could be trashy.

February 13th, 2006, 12:59
Perhaps the Thai b/f just doesn't like the stupid pole and is telling you anything you might believe?

My Thai b/f told me that they can move into a house with 'bad spirits' but a monk must bless it and a spirit house where any bad spirits that are not driven away will decide to stay.

February 13th, 2006, 17:26
ArNolD

Please read my posts again. It is not about me or my Thai BF but a very good friend of mine.

When I decide to buy or rent I will ask my BF for his opinion. I will take into consideration his comments, and thats as far as it goes. My money, I make the decision, and as always I will stand or fall by the decision that I make.
Ours is a 50/50 relationship. 50% in bed sleeping and *****,
and 50% spending my money. :colors:

Learn to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you want.