PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Paypal account from Thailand

May 18th, 2007, 01:54
Does anyone know if it's possible to set up a Paypal account in Thailand from an Internet Cafe? ie not from an address with a landline?

It would be very useful for my boyfriend to have an Account but although I've set him up with an email address he only has access to the Internet at an Internet Cafe and has no computer or landline at his home in fairly remote Ratchaburi.

I would like to be able to set one up for him when I'm in Thailand next month. There's no use me trying to explain to him what I want to do as he's a complete technophobe and won't go near a computer unless I'm there to help and encourage him.

May 18th, 2007, 02:19
Hi everyone, this seems to be a good spot to say hi....so........hi

I am new to the internet believe it or not and this is my first forum post. How exciting.

Hopefully I will leave more messages soon

Regards Hal

TrongpaiExpat
May 18th, 2007, 02:30
Welcome Hal, you must be looking for Dave? Not heard from you in what 6 years?

May 18th, 2007, 02:45
Does anyone know if it's possible to set up a Paypal account in Thailand from an Internet Cafe? ie not from an address with a landline?

It would be very useful for my boyfriend to have an Account but although I've set him up with an email address he only has access to the Internet at an Internet Cafe and has no computer or landline at his home in fairly remote Ratchaburi.

I would like to be able to set one up for him when I'm in Thailand next month. There's no use me trying to explain to him what I want to do as he's a complete technophobe and won't go near a computer unless I'm there to help and encourage him.

It's an rather complicated verifying process which usuall fails. Youre boyfriend need several proofs of identity, i.e. id-card, bank account, copy of official utility and phone bill all with his name and address on and everythig identical with his id and bank statement. And Paypal service is lousy, slow, not safe or cheap.

Maybe Moneybookers is the better option, operating under British Bank licence.

Good luck.

elephantspike
May 18th, 2007, 03:06
Paypal works for sending money from Thailand, but ikobo (http://www.ikobo.com/) works better for sending money to Thailand.

kodiak
May 18th, 2007, 06:36
Thanks for that IKOBO information.....its first ive heard of this...and will give it a try.........much cheaper than Western Union......and with the exchange rate so bad now.....it really makes a difference on both ends.....This is great....and no chance of overdraft problems with regular Visa debit cards...!!

Thanks again