PDA

View Full Version : Taksin buying Manchester City - ego trip or sound investment

May 16th, 2007, 21:52
corrected thank to Fatman I had put United.

The Thai and Aisan fanbase is extraordinarily large and enthisiastic.

TIME Asia
Dallas Stars ice hockey team and baseball's Texas Rangers had agreed to buy Liverpool for $430 million with his partner, George Gillett, the money behind the Montreal Canadiens hockey franchise. The two Americans beat out Dubai International Capital, which had offered $300 million for the club. The takeover is now complete, and Hicks and Gillett are set to move to the next stage of the deal тАФ building a brand-new arena for the 115-year-old team. "Liverpool has a history that's at the very top," says Hicks, who pledges to "make sure we keep a great thing going great."

Right now, in sports, the English Premier League is just about the definition of a great thing. Backed by wealthy investors like Hicks, and tapping into a huge fan base all over the world, Premier League clubs have struck gold. Teams in English football's top flight notched up around $2.5 billion in revenue last season, almost triple the level of a decade ago, making it the world's richest football league by a country mile. New owners are piling in: foreign investors have snapped up four clubs in the past year тАФ Liverpool, Portsmouth, Aston Villa and West Ham United тАФ to add to the three which already had non-British owners. The rush isn't over; in April, Stan Kroenke, owner of the Denver Nuggets basketball team and ice hockey's Colorado Avalanche, increased his stake in Arsenal, of London, to more than 12%. The flood of money is paying dividends; three of the four semifinalists in this year's Champions League are Premier League clubs. With interest swelling among faraway fans in Asia and beyond, backers of the Premier League can look forward to "a much brighter future of growth," says Hicks.

Full article http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1614965-1,00.html)

May 16th, 2007, 22:06
... mean ManCity not ManU, Manchester United is definitely in the hands of the Glazier family from the grand ole USofA.

However, who knows why people buy up these clubs. Abramovich, who owns Chelsea, has forked over a fortune in buying the club and purchasing new players. He'll never see a return on his investment so for him it is like a rich man's toy. Thaksin's reasons for trying to get hold of Man City, who knows, who knew the reasoning behind anything he did!

May 16th, 2007, 22:07
Your thread title is incorrect - Thaksin is trying to buy Manchester City not Manchester United - you really should do some research before atttempting subjects you obviously know nothing about !

Your ego trip fails again!

May 16th, 2007, 22:12
Your thread title is incorrect - Thaksin is trying to buy Manchester City not Manchester United - you really should do some research before atttempting subjects you obviously know nothing about !

Your ego trip fails again!

That's what happens when he dares to veer away from cut and paste.

thanatorn-old
May 16th, 2007, 23:10
Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't Thaksin still got legal issues to sort out with the present authorities? If so, surely Man City or any other club for that matter would do well to steer well clear. I don't think it would go down very well if a club's new owner/chairman were in a posiition where he could face charges in his own country.

The last time Thaksin tried this it was with Liverpool and that went quiet very quickly ( for whatever reason - not necessarily linked to his present status), so I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

May 17th, 2007, 01:21
Well I see replies but no answers.
My opinion is it had better be an ego trip because as an investment he's on very dodgy ground. Man City ARE a huge club but then so are Utd / Liverpool and Arsenal - not to mention Chelsea who technically aren't such a big club, it's just that they have a mega rich owner. The bottom line is that only so many clubs can be successful at the same time. Not so long ago the Italian League clubs were taken over by the super rich, all of them thinking they'd buy their way to success. Look at them now. Many of the clubs were driven towards bankruptcy. Now take care with how you read that....I said 'clubs' as opposed to the wealthy business owners who spent money on behalf of the clubs which the clubs could not afford. Naturally when it goes wrong Mr Rich washes his hands of the whole mess and walks off into the distance without a care in the world. I see a similar scenario with Thaksin. I don't know the guy or his deeds within Thailand but as he's a politician it takes little imagination to work him out.
Here's my guess:
Thaksin buys club - Man City spend big bucks to attract big players - owners find out that no matter how much they spend the real success on the park they crave somehow eludes them - Thaksin sells club leaving behind huge debts for the new owners to deal with.
For a recent example check out the history of Leeds Utd in the past decade - nuff said.

May 17th, 2007, 03:06
A way to try stop Thai authorities getting money from him by tying it all up?