PDA

View Full Version : That new Pizza place next to Crazy Dragon

Dboy
May 14th, 2007, 15:14
There's a new Italian/Pizza place next to Crazy Dragon (Sunee Plaza). It was an Italian place BEFORE (same sign, by the looks of it). I have no idea what the food was like in the past, but the new owner makes a good thin-crust home-style pizza. I've been in there several times now and have enjoyed getting a good pizza without having to resort to walking street or Royal Garden. They have a thai food menu as well but have not tested any yet. I believe they've been open for about a month now.

Dboy

catawampuscat
May 14th, 2007, 15:54
The restaurant was called Chalee (sic) and owned by very nice people who made very good pizza, pastas and Thai food.
Half of the old restaurant became part of Kaos recently and the remaining half was taken over by new owners about a
month ago.
Someone said they had a very good pizza there recently and I believe they kept the same cook/chef for the Italian
style food.
I stopped in and spoke with the new owner (a partner) and she spoke perfect English and had lived in the UK for many
years. She is a big busomed friendly woman and is a pleasure to chat with. She said she was working on a new menu,
which will be ready shortly.
She should become a star in Sunee with a sparkling personality, perfect English and smart to boot. If you close your eyes
you would swear she was a Brit. good pizza too.... :cat:

May 14th, 2007, 15:57
The restaurant was called Chalee (sic)

Why the "sic"? Chalee is a Thai name.

catawampuscat
May 14th, 2007, 16:09
bg, the old sign is gone or at least the name was omitted and I wasn't sure if I spelled the name
correctly so I used the (sic). If I misused it, I have to admit I was never an editor and understood
one used (sic) when the spelling was in doubt or when it was the original spelling which might have
been misspelled. Of course transliteration is not a perfect system and variations in spellings are not unusual.

:cat:

Dboy
May 14th, 2007, 16:24
She is a big busomed friendly woman and is a pleasure to chat with. She said she was working on a new menu,
which will be ready shortly.
She should become a star in Sunee with a sparkling personality, perfect English and smart to boot.

Agreed!

Also i meant to try that place in Day Night at the back of Tuk.com ,i think its a black American restaurant called Big Mamas ort something similar,anyone know this?

This sounds interesting. Will check it out.

Dboy

May 14th, 2007, 16:31
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Big Mamas is long gone and I also heard the food wasn't good anyway.
If you want good American food, try the Great American Rib Company on Thepprasit between Thappraya and Sukhumwit.

May 14th, 2007, 16:38
Well there is still a banner hung up in the small dead end lane way at the rear of tuk.com,advertising on it "soul food".not sure if its still going but the advertising is still up,and you can see it from the start of the soi.

Chitlin's and ham hocks? Can't imagine much of a market for that in Pattaya.

TOQ
May 14th, 2007, 16:46
I have been by Big Mama's a few times and never see it open nor do I see hours posted on the door.. I really dont think it is still open for business.

I must agree that the American Rib Company is very good.. If I recall correctly the price for 1/2 Rack of ribs is 295B. It comes with two sides dishes.. It is almost more than you can eat.. The ribs are meaty and BBQ is semi-sweet..

john

May 14th, 2007, 17:05
All Pizza's there are very juicy and delicious.

May 14th, 2007, 17:18
All Pizza's there are very juicy and delicious.

Pizza juice...mmmm!

May 14th, 2007, 17:49
Well cause i havent been to America,im not actually sure what "soul food" is,i presume its from americas south area mostly by the black american people.
Did they sell this type of food and exactly what is "soul food".
Thats a big subject but as far as I can tell it isn't available in Thailand except for ribs, corn bread, and corn on the cob.

Some typical dishes:

collard greens stewed with ham and fat cooked for a long time (one of the tastiest dishes on earth and has an African origin as do many of the foods)
fried chicken pan fried southern style
fried catfish
fried everything!
fried green tomatoes
black eyed peas
sweet potatoes
dirty rice (flavored rice)
mac and cheese (classified as a vegetable in the south)
squash caserole with cheese

It is "peasant" food, not healthy but very satisfying. Southern food and soul food are pretty much the same thing. New Orleans style food which includes cajun and creole is not the same thing as soul food, and some good examples can be had at that Bourbon Street places in Bangkok. The New Orleans place in Pattaya is crap!