PDA

View Full Version : Bengal Cyclone to unleash heavy rains around Thailand

May 14th, 2007, 15:04
Bengal Cyclone to unleash heavy rains around country: Meteorological
Breaking News The Nation

The Meteorological Department warned Monday heavy rains would continue in many provinces around the country for a few days due to influence of a cyclone in Bengal Bay. The department announced in a press release that a depression storm in the bay had gained more strength and upgrade and into a cyclone. As of 4 am Monday, it was located at about 550 kilometres west of Rangoon and was heading toward Burma.

The influence of the storm caused the low pressure ridge across the lower central region, upper northern region and eastern region to have more power. The low pressure ridge coupled with the southwest monsoon wind, heavy rains will fall in many provinces around the country.

The department warned residents of Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lampang, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi to brace themselves for heavy downpours and flash floods.

The Nation

May 14th, 2007, 15:29
Uh oh, wowpow's big toe's a twitchin'! There's a staarm a-comin'!

Uh...no...just another cut-and-paste from The Nation.

May 14th, 2007, 17:21
How can I get my eyes to UN-glaze after reading the weather report ? No offence Wow P. Just a bit boring though.

Dboy
May 14th, 2007, 18:17
well whatever it is, it just hit. Heavy wind/rain in pattaya at the moment.

Dboy

May 14th, 2007, 23:24
These reports are not boring to my boyfriend. He was flooded out two weeks ago and when I spoke to him on his mobile I could hardly hear him above the noise of the rain. If more is heading his way then it's best to be warned.

Anyone who's not interested in such threads, try reading the title first and ignore them rather than pointless moaning after the event.

May 15th, 2007, 07:51
These reports are not boring to my boyfriend. He was flooded out two weeks ago and when I spoke to him on his mobile I could hardly hear him above the noise of the rain. If more is heading his way then it's best to be warned.

Anyone who's not interested in such threads, try reading the title first and ignore them rather than pointless moaning after the event.

What fun is that?

May 15th, 2007, 08:41
Its my party and I'll cry if I want to.

May 15th, 2007, 10:47
Oooh thank-you WowPow! Any idea when it will hit and when it will leave, this is critical information for me, do I need to knock myself out with ketamine or any other horse strength sedative for the flight Saturday coming? I get very nervous especially as the plane hits those gigantic tsunami like updrafts over the mountains somewhere around the Vietnam, Laos border, all I need is a Cyclone in the general area.

I am a very keen weather watcher, and have been known to cancel a flight for this sort of thing, following a very nasty incident over Sumatra. The plane/pilot (Silk air) flew straight through a tropical storm. All was going very well as the monstrous clouds and thick grey murk punctuated with lightening flashed passed our windows, this was the exciting bit of course, but immediately on exit from the storm, the world fell out of the bottom of the plane, it just dropped like a stone.
To this day I do not know how we survived, possible we hit a life saving up current, with the engines emitting a terrifying shrill primordial scream, we seemed to at the last moment do a heart wrenching swoop upwards again.

I so hate it when other passengers clap.

Please feel free to give us an hourly report on conditions.

May 15th, 2007, 11:54
Im an avid wether watcher and one of the sites I monitor is the "Joint typhoon warning center" of the US Navy :https://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/jtwc.php

Its been very boring the last few weeks with nothing happening so I only check in every couple of days and I missed this one completely.
Yesterday when I called boyfriend he said it was raining heavily and lots of thunder and lightning (Chianat provence)

May 15th, 2007, 20:11
That is an avid weather watcher KenC, I tend to start about a day before departure. I will look up that site, is it open to the general public? About a year ago it was discovered that the pilots on China air, had no clue how to use the storm warning/navigation equipment on their craft. luckily I have never used them before, but it makes you wonder. To put our minds at ease they issued a statement that all their pilots would immediately get a "crash" course in how to use the equipment. This of course led to much merriment all round. At least they owned up to it.
I am sure the others just do as Silk Air does and fly bang straight through the things, storms must come as much as a surprise to the pilots as to the passengers?

Wether, Noun-male sheep especialy a castrated one? Sheep, usualy horned, ruminant, related to the goat.

May 15th, 2007, 21:33
that Bengal cyclone is sure lashing plenty of rain down on Pattaya at the moment.

G.

May 15th, 2007, 23:07
It may be raining, but the weather is very cool compared to the usual this time of year. Just motored back from Non Cafe, which is right outside Sunee Plaza after having dinner. A couple of big downpours came and went, then a small drizzel. Not bad at all

Boxer
May 15th, 2007, 23:09
Just returned from 5 days near Sisaket Isaan and have they had some rain? I think it was the heaviest I have seen ever! Roads and Fields are flooded before ploughing and the worry now is that it will be too wet to plant the rice. We had flood problems at the house and had to cut drain ditches in pouring rain at night to get the water away onto the next door neighbours land. Pools are full to overflowing and the fish frogs and lizards are everywhere.
BUT just down the road at Surin they have not started ploughing and the fields look dry to me, funny localised areas of Isaan!

thrillbill
May 15th, 2007, 23:14
Since I don't watch the Thai news in English I appreciate someone posting SPECIAL weather reports which will warn about upcoming storms than the usual tropical one hour shower we usually get. Thanks

May 16th, 2007, 03:19
It may be raining, but the weather is very cool compared to the usual this time of year. Just motored back from Non Cafe, which is right outside Sunee Plaza after having dinner. A couple of big downpours came and went, then a small drizzel. Not bad at all
I tried this place once and I thought the food was crap.

May 16th, 2007, 08:22
...I will look up that site, is it open to the general public? .....

Yes. Trust me, I don't have any special clearances with ANYBODY.
Just check out the graphics and don't bother with the text of the warning. Its even more eyewatering than Wowpow's post.
Its really been very interesting watching this site. I would watch the typhoons forming near the Phillipines and heading to Vietnam. I would call my boyfriend and tell him to expect a lot of rain in a couple of days, much to his amazement. It was also interesting watching all those cyclones hitting the west coast of Australia.
Things were very boring in America last season - we didn't have a one make landfall.

...Wether, Noun-male sheep especialy a castrated one? Sheep, usualy horned, ruminant, related to the goat.

Gee, I thought I used the Spill-Chucker

May 16th, 2007, 11:09
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/15911717/252944077.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/15911717/252944074.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/15911717/252944071.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/15911717/252944069.jpg

May 16th, 2007, 19:54
Since I don't watch the Thai news in English I appreciate someone posting SPECIAL weather reports which will warn about upcoming storms than the usual tropical one hour shower we usually get. Thanks

Hmm me to! KenC has it all in hand.
KenC, will it be raining next week in Hong-Kong? I am going to be away, storms permitting, and the garden boy is useless with the hose-pipe, he just stands there and dribbles it all over the place and himself, I wish he would learn some Swahili at least, "get dressed" would be good. It would be good news if we could have light showers every afternoon between three and six.
Our weather forecasts here are notoriously bad and inaccurate, if our man says it will be raining you can be sure for a hot blue sky. In fact this very evening he said dry blah blah, but on the main news only five minutes earlier they warned us of some heavy thunder storms and put us on a "red" thunder-storm alert, which usually means the mountains will start collapsing? At the moment I can see stars so I am not sure what is up, what are those graphs showing?

So if you don't mind can you do HK as well as Thailand. Thailand sounds like it will be good, refreshingly cool apparently? That first storm is stunning what is it wowpow? Like a giant hoover.