View Full Version : I don't like being referred to as a Farang!!

May 14th, 2007, 13:08
Yes,

In the misery of male slavery post.

The term itself makes the hairs on the back of my neck bristle, even after all these years.

May 14th, 2007, 13:19
Personally, I think it can be used quite acceptably as an adjective. Ie., "Do you want to go out for farang food or Thai food tonight"? To use it as a noun -- in the place of "person", or "foreigner" if you must -- does not go down so well.

elephantspike
May 14th, 2007, 13:23
Personally, I think it can be used quite acceptably as an adjective. Ie., "Do you want to go out for farang food or Thai food tonight"? To use it as a noun -- in the place of "person", or "foreigner" if you must -- does not go down so well.

Right, like I might say "Let's go out for some Oriental food", but I would never say to some stranger, "You! Oriental! Come here! Why don't you take me out for Sushi?!"

May 14th, 2007, 13:30
For sure,

These are acceptable terms. I would not bat an eyelid at that, I refer more to the way they use the term in the slavery post!

I bet there are one or two casting their memories on that and saying, That happened to me!!!

bedbugy1-old
May 14th, 2007, 13:54
does hey falang sound better

andrewcraig
May 14th, 2007, 14:35
When I was in Pattaya,I had a Thai guy who is not a bar worker(too old)actually is a Chinese tourist guide and he has known me well for some years.

I was actually walking past him in Soi Bukcow,with a Thai guy,and this idiot shouts out "Hey Farang,why you not take me to Karoake"!
He said this in front of his friends ,they were all drunk.I stopped turned around and told him exactly what i thought of his statement.The other Thai guy who i have known also for some time,apologised on this guys behalf,he looked back at me and apologised himself.

One thing im not going to have is people talking me like that,"hey farang" ,treating me like a dog! Now you people can come up with all excuses but it is rude and aggressive talk to me.
How would you like to walking past a go go bar and the doorman shouts out,"hey Farang,come in here"
its not polite and Kquill even confirms this in another post.

It is totally inappropiate in your case They should be yelling out Faggot or wooly moof or pansy boy

May 14th, 2007, 14:45
I have often had words called out to me as I mince down the street. I choose not to hear them.

May 14th, 2007, 15:09
But you sure don't mind talking to thais like they are idiots, do you? You are just getting a taste of your own medicine. Billy you are the loudest rudest most obnoxious person to ever visit thailand or post on this forum. No other people would put up with your behavior, whether its bare backing or slapping your boys or degrading them in front of their familes or friends. The thais are a gentle and forgiving people and you are lucky they are.

May 14th, 2007, 15:32
The thais are a gentle and forgiving people and you are lucky they are.

At least until you piss 'em off...

May 14th, 2007, 15:35
Well you d think so andrewcraig,especially when i was carrying a handbag and had my bum cheeks showing thru my cut offs.
i mean "hey darling.would of made me more happier than "hey farang",but each to his own i guess,farang.

How about, Hey! Zebra lover! or Here! Doggy,Doggy,

May 14th, 2007, 16:20
DELETED

Dboy
May 14th, 2007, 16:30
The thais are a gentle and forgiving people and you are lucky they are.

555555 That is the funniest post I've seen in a long time 55555

Come on John you must admit that Thai's have a long fuse. I've seen them take all kinds of rude shite from tourists and remain jai yin. However I generally chalk this up to not understanding what's being said to them.

Dboy

May 14th, 2007, 17:20
At least if they call you 'farang' you know what it is. You would be really pissed off if you understood what else they call you.
This is in all countries that I've been to.

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 14th, 2007, 17:27
poor Homitern has to put up with "bald old cunt". :blob7:

May 14th, 2007, 18:01
Being called a farang is very low on my list of problems with living in Thailand. Whats the point of being bothered with these things?

dab69
May 15th, 2007, 12:26
go elsewhere, maybe they have a forum also...

andrewcraig
May 15th, 2007, 12:55
Being called a farang is very low on my list of problems with living in Thailand. Whats the point of being bothered with these things?

Your right Jingthing,and im glad your with me on on this one,whats the use of been bloody bothered with these things when we have poor bloody Zebra sitting in that old deserted garbage dump all by himself.But you really are selfish Jingthing,you havent bothered one bit to check on Zebra have you? couldnt give a rats arse could you,all you do is post about bloody jomtien all the time,couldnt give at least 5 minutes of your day to someone who is standing in the heat and rain day after day,no your right jing bloody thing,you really cant be bothered.

It figures the only friend he can find in Pattaya is a wooden horse

May 15th, 2007, 13:22
Maybe they should do a drug test on Billy when they raid again, as hes in love this zebra. Bet he could purchase this zebra and take him back to the land of Oz with him.

andrewcraig
May 15th, 2007, 13:55
How will he explain the splinters in his cock from bare backing a wooden horse

May 15th, 2007, 18:56
From what the boys are saying there's not enough cock there to hold a splinter of any size.

May 16th, 2007, 13:47
Farang is basically a neutral word, but people who respect you (or who should respect you) will not use it - if you hear a work colleague, for example, refer to you as farang they probably mean it as an insult while a taxi driver or market vendor doing the same is unlikely to mean any offence at all." PG WEEKLY REPORT MAY 15TH 2007

Not quite accurate. If someone asked my secretary her boss was a Thai, she'd undoubtedly reply "no, he's a farang". This is not insulting in any way. If she told the office maid "get a cup of tea for the farang", instead of using my name, THAT would be insulting. It is not so clear cut as the above quote makes it out to be.

May 16th, 2007, 14:09
If she told the office maid "get a cup of tea for the farang", instead of using my name, THAT would be insulting.

I don't see why, I think by saying, "get a cup of tea for the farang", she would have been showing a politeness in the extreme, especially considering all the other options that were open to her and what she could have said. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

G.

May 16th, 2007, 15:30
Farang is basically a neutral word, but people who respect you (or who should respect you) will not use it - if you hear a work colleague, for example, refer to you as farang they probably mean it as an insult while a taxi driver or market vendor doing the same is unlikely to mean any offence at all." PG WEEKLY REPORT MAY 15TH 2007

Not quite accurate. If someone asked my secretary her boss was a Thai, she'd undoubtedly reply "no, he's a farang". This is not insulting in any way. If she told the office maid "get a cup of tea for the farang", instead of using my name, THAT would be insulting. It is not so clear cut as the above quote makes it out to be.

No, sorry, it wouldn’t be insulting at all, just straight forward and precise Thai.

May 16th, 2007, 15:48
No, sorry, it wouldnтАЩt be insulting at all, just straight forward and precise Thai.

Sorry again, but if that's what you think you don't speak Thai very well, nor understand the nuances of its usage. To refer to someone in the third person as "the farang" instead of using his or her name -- or an appropriate pronoun such as "khao" or "kae" -- is extremely rude.

May 16th, 2007, 16:09
I do know that it is often rude. I just don't care. Just as in my home country, if they don't shoot me, I am OK with it.