PDA

View Full Version : I Love Living in Chiang Mai

May 12th, 2007, 00:22
Hi,

I always used to enjoy my visits there too. I frequently thought about moving there at one period.

However, that was quickly overruled when your opposite number is from Isaarn!!!

I love here too really, it is just Chiang Mai has a bit more of the BIG city appeal to me,and all that it entails, Superstores on the doorstep, etc etc. and you can step in our out of the action in Chiang Mai unlike Pattaya, in your face 24/7

Never mind, Can't have everything all the time and Kalasin has its own wonders.

bkkguy
May 12th, 2007, 00:45
Not many clubs for men, but those few are the best in the country -- perhaps the best in the world.

most people that know me would call me a cynic, but I really do like Chiang Mai, and I would seriously like to know what "clubs for men" in Chiang Mai you would class as being amoung the best in the world and what criteria you are using to judge them as such

It's a place where you can raise dogs and roses, smell the flowers ...

smell the pollution more likely!

Anyway, listening to Lobo tonight, and loving every minute of my life here.

Lobo is that new Chiang Mai indie pop group, yes?

bkkguy

Jetsam
May 12th, 2007, 01:11
I love Amsterdam

Lovely city, lovely coffee shops. Lots of Dutch people -- lots and lots of them. Lots and lots of Morrocon people,
Turkish people, Nigerian people.

Many clubs for men, and those are the best in the country -- perhaps the best in the world.

Oh, and laid-back. Very, very casual. It's a place where you can grow weed and roses, smell the flowers, and simply enjoy every day as it comes.

I love Bangkok too. (How could anyone NOT love a city filled with 8 million Thai?)

Anyway, listening to Rammstein tonight, and loving every minute of my life here.

llz
May 12th, 2007, 01:21
Please go on guys ... I am now in the very tough process of choosing between Chiang Mai and Pattaya as the upcountry destination for my next trip in Thailand, and I am lapping up everything you write. From what you say, Chiang Mai would be in the lead ...

Bob
May 12th, 2007, 05:11
I too have zeroed in on Chiangmai and like the life there. Not a lot of the "in your face stuff" but you can find whatever you need.
I used to say to friends that I'd consider Chiangmai perfect if it was on the ocean (for whatever reason, I like to occasionally lay around the beach). For years, I've intended to go to one of two resevoirs near Chiangmai as I had heard they were rather nice, almost like a trip to the beach. In April, I finally made it there and found the small lake very nice. Beach was acceptable, water seemed fairly nice, and, for a while, it seemed like I wasn't in the big city any more.
I don't remember the name of the resevoir I went to but it's about 5-6 miles northwest of northwest corner of the old city. Much of the west side is lined with umbrella areas and also with raised bamboo platforms with tables and overhead thatched roofs which are owned by various restaurants (you essentially rent the space for the day by eating the given
restaurant's food). Very enjoyable location to have a calm (no jet skis or motorboats allowed) and relaxing day at the beach.
If I can figure out how to do so, will post a couple of photos here:

May 12th, 2007, 07:25
Traffic and resulting pollution have taken away most of the C.Mai charm. In my humble opinion it too late to live there. Time has marched on.

Smiles
May 12th, 2007, 10:38
" ... If I can figure out how to do so, will post a couple of photos here ... "
With all due respect to Elephantspike, I still think hosting your photos on PhotoBucket or PhotoDump (etc etc) and then linking them into a post is at least as easy as the new Board thingmajig.

Hosting remotely also means you can post at any size you want (within reason). For instance Bob, here's your shot of the reservoir ... large enough to actually see something.

http://www.photodump.com/direct/sawatdee/t_resevoir07_160.jpg

IMHO only

Cheers ...

elephantspike
May 12th, 2007, 10:54
Whatever works for you. However, once you upload your image to a post, right click on it and view properties, copy and paste the url between the img bb tags, and voilla!

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/files/thumbs/t_resevoir07_160.jpg

elephantspike
May 12th, 2007, 10:58
OK, I just proved your point, I guess. I think I can adjust that, though.

May 12th, 2007, 11:59
[quote="jaafarabutarab"]Given the right situation, and the right person, I would go to Isaan in a heartbeat.

The people are so warm and friendly, and I mean that! Going out for dinner, schoolboys shout "Hi! How are you?"

I know,

I have started exercising,[ put a bit of weight on packing in the cigs and spirits, and drinking beer instead!]

I go down to the local lake and walk around that for a couple of laps, that's three miles!

There's a bus that takes people on to the next province picks up there, When I walk past in my Engand cap, they shout out "Roi et, Roi et, you go Roi et??" [ the bus's next destination] .

Then on seeing the hat, closely followed by"Hey you, I like Liverpool" and then they all burst into hysterics!

They really are comical!

It cheers you up on the walk, By the time I've finished shaking my head, I'm round the course.

TrongpaiExpat
May 12th, 2007, 12:04
What Chiang Mai does not have is reliable public transportation. In recent years the tuk-tuk and songthow driver have been sticking it to farangs with inflated prices. I can travel clear across town in Bangkok via BTS or MRT for what most tuk-tuk divers want for very short trips.

The tuk tuk drivers that wait outside of the central mall want 80B to move. From the airport, 100B to anywhere and some times 150B for trips that in Bangkok would be 35B in a meter taxi.

If ever I decide to move to Chiang Mai, having my own means of transportation would be necessary.

May 12th, 2007, 12:32
That also seems to be the case in Bangkok.

Because they do not know how to combat the MRT etc they resort to attempts at inflated prices.

Taxi meters attempting to not open the meter, Rude and aggressive behaviour.

Tuk Tuks, unless you are a first timer on Holiday and want the laugh and the experience, They are a waste of space these days.

We all know what they are like for shooting themselves in the HEAD!

May 12th, 2007, 12:52
DELETED

TrongpaiExpat
May 12th, 2007, 13:16
That also seems to be the case in Bangkok.

Because they do not know how to combat the MRT etc they resort to attempts at inflated prices.

Taxi meters attempting to not open the meter, Rude and aggressive behaviour.

Tuk Tuks, unless you are a first timer on Holiday and want the laugh and the experience, They are a waste of space these days.

We all know what they are like for shooting themselves in the HEAD!

Yes, there are a few dishonest Taxi drivers in Bangkok but only a very few. I have had a few refuse to turn on the meter, but very few. My experience is something like one out of 100 and in those cases, you just get out and say bye-bye and take another one.

Then there's the no have change scam. I don't give them the opportunity and don't get in a taxi without enough small change for the exact fare.

As for being rude or agressive, not in my experience. Even those who don't want to turn on the meter were polite about it.

PeterUK
May 12th, 2007, 13:41
I am a long-term fan of Chiang Mai - how can anyone with a bit of soul not be, what with the beautiful, gentle people, the lovely old buildings, the greenery and flowers everywhere, the bookshops, the galleries, the huge range of eateries, all the festivals. It's a civilised place with a strong sense of history. I agree that it is gradually being spoiled by pollution. And the commercial gay scene has long been crap - 'best in the world' only if bored straight boys and the hilltribe look is what turns one on.

May 12th, 2007, 20:55
I have been to Chiang Mai half a dozen times over the last 12 years and there are a lot of new hotels but not that much has changed to the casual eye.

There in January with a friend on a side trip and we took in the ending of the Flower Expo ( WhoretoCultural show) which was memorable.

We liked

Pui's Place where we stayed
Shopping at Central
Soho Bar
The House wine bar and Tapas
Circle Pub
My Way
Waterfall a little way down the road from the hotel
Watching the students getting their diplomas
Simon Cabaret
Amazing Sandwich

Didn't like at all

Night Market bars too much underage
Lemon Tree restaurant
B-Beez Massage
Heavy traffic in the daytime
Pollution in the air which brought on my coughing

Baht buses seemed to charge much more reasonable prices than previously. This was helped by advice from Peter at PJ's who told us the correct price.

Please note that this was a place that we had both visited before and so I do not include the usual tourist places, river trips, Flower Festival (glorious) and suchlike.

PJ's Place and The House Wine Bar

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/Suite13rdOct05026.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/DeluxeHouse.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/TravelThailandChiangMaiRoyTerry.jpg

TrongpaiExpat
May 12th, 2007, 22:13
What is that hotel? It looks very nice!

pjs-place.com/ (http://pjs-place.com/)

May 12th, 2007, 23:33
jaafarabutarab, The House has two places. One is the Fine restaurant in an old colonial type House and then to the right of the entrance gate is the Wine and Tapas Bar. I can't remember if it was in a marquee or a large shed but inside was very splendid. I don't think it was there when I dined at The House a couple of years ago. It deserved to be better patronized.

May 13th, 2007, 02:46
Anyway, listening to Lobo tonight, and loving every minute of my life here.I didn't realise Lobo is Thai. I thought you talked, read, wrote and dreamed only in Thai. Wasn't that the gist of some thread or other a couple of weeks ago - we all need to assimilate completely?

May 13th, 2007, 02:49
That also seems to be the case in Bangkok. Because they do not know how to combat the MRT etc they resort to attempts at inflated prices. Taxi meters attempting to not open the meter, Rude and aggressive behaviour.
Tuk Tuks, unless you are a first timer on Holiday and want the laugh and the experience, They are a waste of space these days. We all know what they are like for shooting themselves in the HEAD!

Yes, there are a few dishonest Taxi drivers in Bangkok but only a very few. I have had a few refuse to turn on the meter, but very few. My experience is something like one out of 100 and in those cases, you just get out and say bye-bye and take another one. Then there's the no have change scam. I don't give them the opportunity and don't get in a taxi without enough small change for the exact fare. As for being rude or agressive, not in my experience. Even those who don't want to turn on the meter were polite about it.Now I remember why I put kquill on {Ignore} recently. What a provincial!

billyhouston
May 13th, 2007, 05:43
I don't remember the name of the resevoir I went to but it's about 5-6 miles northwest of northwest corner of the old city. Much of the west side is lined with umbrella areas and also with raised bamboo platforms with tables and overhead thatched roofs which are owned by various restaurants (you essentially rent the space for the day by eating the given
restaurant's food). Very enjoyable location to have a calm (no jet skis or motorboats allowed) and relaxing day at the beach.
If I can figure out how to do so, will post a couple of photos here:

Looks like Huay Tueng Tao Lake. Agreed, a pleasant place to spend a day.

bucknaway
May 13th, 2007, 07:51
I like Chiang Mai more and more with each visit. I do tend to spend far too much time at the sauna "House of Male" but the guys are so friendly there that it makes it hard for me to leave. I love the open-air TV area on the second floor with the beaded curtain. There is a lot of flirting that goes on in the TV area. I won't go into the workings of the House of Male sauna but I will say that it is the perfect size and the guys there have a great attitude.

I also like the Disco club Mandalay. I went there with my guide Bird and had a great time! I plan to go back and hire Bird again for a day or two.

Here is a recommendation I made for Bird:

http://thaiboy.net/member/pic145/birdvacation.jpg
Hello Bird! I want to thank you for the enjoyable memories I have of Chiang Mai because of the time I spend with you! Youre a wonderful guide and a kind person. This was my 4th visit to Chiang Mai and I was not sure if there was anything I had not already seen or experienced. But I can honestly say that when I think of Chiang Mai, I think of the places you took me to and the things you had shown me During the tour I felt more like we were friends exploring the city together! I was also lucky enough to meet some of your friends and enjoy a great time out with them and you.

I had such a good time I plan to book tour time with you again when I return in October.
Also, if anyone would like a live reference for your services, they can write me at [Oops! No E-mail address please.] , friendly, helpful and intuitive you are. I am also appreciative of your efforts to save me from wasting money!

Thank you Bird!
Paul http://thaiboy.net/member/index.php?alias=Birdvacation

Other than that, I love the bar area as long as I am only there for 3 or 4 days at the max. I tend to grow bored and feel I am missing the action of Bangkok or Pattaya, but again... in the house of male I don't give Bangkok or pattaya a second thought.

I can't wait to visit Chiang Mai again for 3 or 4 days! :)

Dboy
May 13th, 2007, 12:11
Great info,Bucknaway,i will probaly look into seeing Bird in August,even though Chiang Mai isnt high on my agendas.Good thing is boys to off only 150 b and i think the night markets is still free offs?
Bucknaway,do you fly to Chiang Mai by AirAsia or do you get the bus?

CM is HORRIBLE Billy. Nothing to do there.

Dboy

bucknaway
May 13th, 2007, 12:27
I took the train once to Chiang Mai, I will never do that alone again.... Now I fly there on Thai Air. I always fly from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, then from Chiang Mai to Phuket then from Phuket to Bangkok. But I don't use Thai Air from Phuket to Bangkok. I use Nok air to fly from Phuket to Bangkok.

Great info,Bucknaway,i will probaly look into seeing Bird in August,even though Chiang Mai isnt high on my agendas.Good thing is boys to off only 150 b and i think the night markets is still free offs?
Bucknaway,do you fly to Chiang Mai by AirAsia or do you get the bus?