PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary Of Truth

bing
May 11th, 2007, 21:00
If you are looking for a place to take some pictures with your friends and want a unique background, you might like to take a tour to the Sanctuary Of Truth. I went to Mim at NS travel, and she took care of the details. Knowing that my tummy does not handle a lot of foods, she suggested we not get the lunch tour. We were picked up by a van at Howards Guest House on time and delivered back to the front door. I was not too sure if the tour was all that gay friendly. Not to worry, once the guide saw I was snapping pictures of my Friend, she asked for the camera and took us to the most picture friendly places in the building. and even set us up with back to back as we looked at her. She also had us sit down on one step as she took a few pics of us with a delightful backdrop of wood carving. Naturally the guides know about tips, and catering to us did good things for the tip we placed in her hat when the tour was over. If you like to feed dolphins, you need to wear water shoes, as you have a half hour to feed fish to the dolphins. They have a 15 minute show and you can see dolphins jumping 15 feet out the water and other dolphin tricks. As you feed the dolphin it will rise from water to kiss you or shake your hand. This tour is designed to take pictures, but if you just want a quiet morning before the beach, this is a perfect tour, whether you take pictures or not.

May 11th, 2007, 21:32
Indeed a very good day out. Naklua Soi 12 is the place to look out for if you`re not sure exactly where it is ( many cant find it lol)

I took an expat (been in pattaya years) and his bf who didnt even know about it and they loved it.

Looks like they are building other attractions there also.

bao-bao
May 11th, 2007, 22:23
If you are looking for a place to take some pictures with your friends and want a unique background, you might like to take a tour to the Sanctuary Of Truth.

It sounds great, bing... how about posting some pictures? If anonymity's a concern, just some of the place.

At the risk of sounding like one of the self-serving business pushers here -- it might be time to donate to the board and create a photo album here :cheers:

Thanks for the tip.

fedssocr
May 12th, 2007, 05:21
it's worth a look I think. Just be careful if you eat at the restaurant there. I got food poisoning there and had to spend a night in the hospital.

May 12th, 2007, 07:32
Last time I glanced at the dophin pool it was dirty and very much too small for these animals. I wish people would give the show a miss and perhaps the owners would drop this feature from their otherwise nice place.

May 12th, 2007, 08:11
Well, aside from the go-go bars of course.
I would give the dolphin show a pass though unless you are with a Thai friend who just HAS to see them. You can rent old "Flipper" episodes that are more entertaining.

This building is a masterpiece of woodworking crafts. Us Westerners might consider it "over-the-top" and gaudy but that to me is part of its charm.

BTW, it was started by the same guy who built Muang Boran south of Bangkok.

May 12th, 2007, 13:50
Here are a few pics taken in February.

http://www.gaytingtong.com/february/truth5.jpg

http://www.gaytingtong.com/february/truth1.jpg

http://www.gaytingtong.com/february/truth3.jpg

May 12th, 2007, 13:52
You have to wear hard hats in and around the temple as its constantly being worked on all year round.

http://www.gaytingtong.com/february/truth6.jpg

http://www.gaytingtong.com/february/truth4.jpg

May 12th, 2007, 15:28
Fabulous pics,

Must admit, seen it getting built for many many years and never been in.

That's going to change!! Is it privately owned, What's the story behind it??

bing
May 12th, 2007, 16:25
Great pics Oogleman,, especailly the one taken from the water. I don't seem to remember the building from that angle.

Note on private ownership of the building. When you enter they will give you a paper with the history of the place.

May 13th, 2007, 18:17
I'll try and post a pic here.

May 13th, 2007, 18:22
Sanctuary with friend:

bing
May 13th, 2007, 18:36
Great to hear others enjoyed their time at this neat place.

TrongpaiExpat
May 13th, 2007, 20:06
I don't do tours but might like to take a look at this place. How does one get there on their own and where exactly is it located? What are the costs?

bing
May 14th, 2007, 00:09
I can not give you directions but if you stop an N/S Travel just down from old Monty's Pool and Bar, Mim will jot down the directions for you. Even if you don' t do tours, this might be an exception, as it is like going into an art museum, you can see the pictures by yourself, but if a guide explains them to you , you will probably get more out of the experience. Just a thought.

jolyjacktar
May 14th, 2007, 01:02
The only good dolphin is a dead one, packaged as a tin of tuna, I wonder if they would allow me and a few ship mates in with our harpoons for a days fishing.
Make a change from me old trawler

May 14th, 2007, 01:43
Yes, Kevin, the Sanctuary of Truth is privately owned. I have been told that the owner is a wealthy Thai man who wishes to promote positive relations between SE Asian countrys. The building is made entirely from wood and has four wings in a + shape. Each of the wings represents one of four major countrys from SE Asia. I believe the four countrys are China, Thailand, India and (sorry, I have forgotten the fourth). In each wing, the style and artwork are typical of the country that it represents. Work on the building has been ongoing for many years and guides there say that the work will never be completed. The guides will also tell you that as many as 3000 people work on the structure at any given time but during my 3 visits over a 5 year period I have never seen more than a few dozen workmen.

Boxer
May 16th, 2007, 19:12
From the Dusit Island at end or start of Second Road take the Naklua Pattaya Road untill soi 12 on left about 3 kms, before you get to Naklua.
This soi is long so again Bus or M/Taxi up to Sanctuary of Truth on right near end of Soi which branches half way up take the left branch road. Cost was 500 baht recently. On way back take the other fork in Soi and go see the Fishing Pier loads of activity there.

May 16th, 2007, 20:03
Nice to see those pictures, I remember when they started to build that temple way back before 1987 time, I had a very nice condo in the only apartment block on Soi 16 Naklua only 13 floors high and not over looked at all, not like today, oh how times change! Not that many bars or gay hotels in Pattaya either then, in fact the Homex Hotel, complete with a swimming pool full of semi-naked boys, was at its peak in those days, don't know if anyone remembers it before it was taken over and spoiled! Also Nautilas was newly opened by Barry Baker from HK next to Dolf Rik's restaurant in North Pattaya down the Soi opposite the Big C. That was the first boy bar with a large underwater aquarium tank for the boys to swim, often naked. It was a great night out, dinner and a chat with Dolf then a few drinks with Barry next door surrounded by semi naked boy dolphins lol.