PDA

View Full Version : Those expensive(not) watches.

asdsrfr-old
May 7th, 2007, 00:37
In another thread there is a posting about someone losing and later finding their expensive watch. I never wear expensive watches anywhere as I tend to lose things like watches and sunglasses. On my trips to Thailand I've picked up a number of those "original" designer watches sold in street stalls just about everywhere. I am amazed how much favorable attention these watches bring back home. Friends, and people at work compliment me on my "gorgeous watch.' Sometimes I own up that it's a fake--sometimes not. Years later these watches are all still working.

Does anyone else wear these back home? Is it tacky to wear one of these fakes that cost a fraction of what everyone thinks it does?

May 7th, 2007, 00:39
I dont know if its tacky or not - but all my friends want one lol

Jetsam
May 7th, 2007, 00:53
Years later these watches are all still working.

Hmm... I bought some over the last years and none of them lasted longer than 6 months http://images.fok.nl/s/nopompom.gif

catawampuscat
May 7th, 2007, 10:26
This reminds me of a watch which was given to my sister in law several years ago. It was a fake Rolex bought
in Taiwan and one day she took off the "rolex" to go swimming in her condo pool, when a lady got very excited
and warned her about leaving her "rolex" on a table in a public area. She laughed so hard she almost cried and
told the woman the watch had cost about $5 or $10 and the other lady was totally fooled.

So be careful you don't get mugged or robbed, because someone thinks you are loaded wearing a Rolex........

May 7th, 2007, 10:31
It's tacky to wear a gaudy, look-at-me-I'm-rich watch.

It's even tackier to wear a fake, gaudy look-at-me-I'm-rich watch.

Impulse
May 7th, 2007, 11:12
Sounds better than the sunglasses they sell on the beach.My glasses broke in about an hours time!Had to glue the piece of junk back together.

May 7th, 2007, 14:53
I have a collection of "fun" watches. In the 1980s I really liked the Tissot Rock watch and my partner has a couple of real ones. I used to wear an imitation one I particularly liked as the "marble graining" was particularly nice. I hadn't seen it for a few months. One day I picked up a guy for the second time at the beach on Hong Kong Island. He was bubbly and excited. As we were driving through the harbour tunnel I noticed that he was wearing that watch. He noticed, I'd noticed and started covering it with his hand. Rather than take him home I drove him to the peak of Fei Ngo Shan, the mountain overlooking the old Kai Tak Airport, and dropped him there. I told him to ask next time.

Coming back from lunch in Hong Kong, my little group used to walk through a particular shopping mall. Everyday the same group of young triads would whisper in our ears "Copy watch?" I started answering "Copy Money?" One day, I noticed that one of the triad group peeled off and got into conversation with the boss in one of the nearby shops. Next time I replied "Copy money", he answered "Can you really get copy money?"

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 7th, 2007, 21:08
I have about 200 watches..mainly from 1910's onwards. But I love buying the knock-offs as well as the real thing and any sort of wacky fun watch.

I've worn a fake Cartier to a Cartier party and received a stern look from the host..and worn a real one the next time and completely confused him.

In fact I wear a different one every day as the mood suits..and I especially love the feeling of .."look at me I'm rich.."
but then I'm as tacky as they come.

May 8th, 2007, 01:26
I have seen people carried LV carry-on rollers, wore Rolex watches, Gucci sunglasses, Prada shirt/jackets....etc, BUT SEATING IN THE COACH CLASS ....LOL. I am sure they wish they could find fake airplane tickets somewhere.

May 8th, 2007, 02:09
I have seen people carried LV carry-on rollers, wore Rolex watches, Gucci sunglasses, Prada shirt/jackets....etc, BUT SEATING IN THE COACH CLASS ....LOL. I am sure they wish they could find fake airplane tickets somewhere.

Good grief - how can you SEE people in COACH CLASS. Don't they have screens on the airline you use?

May 8th, 2007, 03:45
In the 1980s I really liked the Tissot Rock watch and my partner has a couple of real ones.

Rearry? And do you put it around his collar like all his other jewellery?

May 9th, 2007, 04:29
There are some look-alikes who are running nicely for a long time.

If you look for some, buy them as soon as you’re in Thailand. Make sure that they are no of Chinese origin but from Taiwan or Japan. Your dealer knew about this.

Try them as soon as possible. If anything is wrong, go straight back and complain nicely, choose another one. Without any trouble you shall get an alternative. Do this as long as you’re satisfied.

Do not used in or under water. Splash on is usually no problem.

Nothing is for free. But even a food fake shouldn’t cost more than 400 TBT - incl. a new battery if needed.

I don’t wear expensive original watches in Thailand. But for a nice day to day use, I need a reliable watch, and honestly give a dam about the band as long as the thing is doing its job.

May 9th, 2007, 18:55
I wear the stock standard SS Rolex every day.I Have several 600 baht specials on hand for when I go out,they keep good time.I have only been mugged once and the Rolex made the dog scum and his mates happy!Assault is not nice but when you scrw them it helps.All the very best from AUS guys,I will not get back for a month.Miss you all but I AM FLAT OUT.All my love,Phil.