PDA

View Full Version : Farang kicks Thai ass

May 5th, 2007, 09:41
from http://bangkokgirls.wordpress.com/

"Let me preface this story with the fact that IтАЩm not much of a fighter. Maybe 4 real fights in my life and one of those was with my brother and another with a best friend. So hereтАЩs the story:

Today I had some things to pick up at Panthip. I go down the escalator at the Rachatewee BTS station and approach the moto-boys there. One asks where iтАЩm going and I tell him Panthip Plaza. He looks me in the eye and says 40 bt. I look at the sign hanging 1 foot over his head indicating that the fixed price to Panthip is 20 bt. So I smile and tell him 20 baht. He frowns and says 40. I smile, point at the sign and say 20. He gets really irritated, yells тАЬ40 btтАЭ, turns his back and stalks back over to his lounge chair.

Now IтАЩve taken this little trip at least 50 times and always pay 20 bt. Moreover, while I was standing there haggling with this joker, two other Thai people got rides from other moto-taxi guys at the stand and were quoted 20 bt.

So now IтАЩm getting annoyed. IтАЩm wearing long pants, long shirt, tie, and canтАЩt be arsed walking the 800 m to the plaza - itтАЩs midday, hot and humid. I donтАЩt like being cheated, and IтАЩm becoming indignant and hereтАЩs where things get interesting.

I point to the sign again and say тАЬ20 btтАЭ. He responds by turning his chair around so his back was facing me. This freaking irritated me so I responded loudly with: тАЬYet KhunтАЭ. Obviously this is not the nicest or wisest thing to say, but whatever.

So he jumps up out of his chair, runs over, and empties a 1 liter bottle of water in my face, and on my dress shirt, tie, and pants. He sees that IтАЩm quite pissed now and runs off to a distance of about 10 m. So I take a couple of steps in his direction and he runs around to the other side of the escalator - the cowardly little prick. Things might have ended there. I was pissed off but willing to get on with my business. I start to walk away.

But then he shouts something unintelligable - but obviously offensive. So I turn back, thump my chest, and give him a тАШcome on thenтАЩ sort of gesture. He retreats a couple more meters, picks up a 2.5 m tent pole, and charges at me like some kind of modern day Don Quixote. The image is so comical that I nearly burst out laughing but there he is running at full speed with his lance aimed at my stomach - so no time for laughing. I sidestep easily as the pole is far too long to be effective as any kind of weapon. He whirls around and cracks me on the back with the damn pole, and then again on the back of my legs. So I quickly take off my glasses, move in, and next thing you know we are grappling and rolling around the middle of Pahol Yothin like a couple of schoolboys. This is unbelievable. People who know me see me as kind a mild-mannered Clark Kent type.

So there we are in the street, heтАЩs got my head in some kind of grip and is twisting my neck, and frankly it hurt like hell. So I grabbed his hair with both hands, just behind the ears, and give him a nice head butt, but specifically not aimed at his nose - i didnтАЩt want want to hurt the guy too much for fear of legal troubles. It was at about this time that a couple of shop merchants run over with a couple of moto-boys and break things up. All are smiling and saying jai yen yen and calming the situation down.

I look down - my 1000 Bt dress shirt is torn at the elbow. My 6,000 Bt glasses are bent all to hell. The plastic case for my mobile phone is shattered. My new, $150, worn one day, black leather shoes just purchased in the states were totally scuffed up. As I begin to assess the damages IтАЩm not too thrilled. The numbers are adding up quickly in my head. At this time IтАЩm still flying on adrenaline so I donтАЩt really notice the blood on my hands and elbows and the red bump forming on my forehead from the head butt - heh. Luckily my new dress pants were relatively unscathed.

I tell the bystanders that this guy should compensate me for some of my damages. That obviously got me nowhere. So I walk up to the police box on the corner - about 30 meters up the street. The policeman was in the street directing traffic. From where he was standing IтАЩm sure he saw the whole damn thing. So I stand next to his box and try to get his attention. He sees me, but just ignores me. This goes on for a few mintutes, til finally, I shrug my shoulders and walk off.

I call my wife, and considered calling the tourist police, but in the end I just walked into a nearby optical shop, got my glasses fixed up, walked down to panthip, bought a fresh shirt and went about my business.

The End."

Thanks to Chop Kin Hoi http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categ ... e=1#788845 (http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categories.cfm?catid=51&startpage=1#788845)

May 5th, 2007, 09:47
DELETED

Aunty
May 5th, 2007, 10:26
Never head butt, when an upper cut will do.

May 5th, 2007, 10:52
1000 baht shirt + 6000 baht glasses + $150 shoes + .... all these because of the 20 baht extra charge for being a farang? You go girl... give'em a lesson and don't let these pricks walk all over our pride. It's worth every baht........................................NOT!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :geek:

dab69
May 5th, 2007, 11:42
"I call my wife.."

wife?

TrongpaiExpat
May 5th, 2007, 13:03
Wowpow, you had me going there for a while, I really thought it was you, then I scrolled down and see it's a cut and paste. You just baught a new car and I figured you took a road trip to Bangkok.

It might have just been a work of fiction or at an embellishment of some some dispute with a moto-boy. Also, I have never seen a sign with the price listed at Rachatewee.

If the sign said 20B, then hop on and when you get to Panthip, pay 20B and walk away. It's not always best to ask how much, it tells them you don't know the price.

I generally walk from Rachatewee to Panthip but a few times I was offered a ride and told the price, 40B in advance. 40B from Panthip to Rachatewee as well. They quote the Thais the same price. I guess if your go to or from Panthip, you must have money, hense, the higher price.

May 5th, 2007, 13:07
When I molest motorbike taxi drivers it's always a win win situation.

Yes there will soon be a new white Jazz on the roads. Another lousy driver in Thailand.

Head-but - Oh I just looked it up. I thought it was something to do with rimming.

A motorbike taxi guy

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/16318291/250446666.jpg

May 5th, 2007, 18:47
If he says it's 40baht and doesn't want to negotiate then either pay it, get someone else to do it cheaper or walk. It's his choice whether he wants to do it for 20 baht or not regardless of what the sign says. When leaving Pattaya last time I went to a taxi place where the sign said Bangkok 800baht but when I went in they said 1000baht. I mentioned the sign but they just repeated "1000baht". It's a take it or leave it situation. Getting into a fight over it is just plain stupid. What was the difference anyway? 20baht = what? 30p? 50cents?.....or thereabouts? Jeez man, learn to chill.

May 5th, 2007, 20:04
What a scene:

Fighting for nothing.

Face lost.

And you are obviously proud of all this too.

You've made the motortaxi-driver's day! He is a hero by now, and very popular.

May 5th, 2007, 20:09
I would have taken a taxi. Cheaper than 40 for a short trip. Have had the same experience with being told a higher price even when there is a posted sign. Pointing to the sign usually does nothing. If I really need them, I negotiate between the posted price and their quote. That usually works. I would never get on before getting a price.

Davey612
May 5th, 2007, 21:47
I know this discussion seems to be centered around the particulars of Thai behavior and character. But I don't think there is anything pecular Thai when it comes to unregulated taxis or any other kind of transportation. Actually, there is nothing peculiar Thai about greediness and taking advantage of others.

It is a general matter of being perceived well-off, easy prey, he/she can afford it mentality that can happen in any place of the world (rich or poor). I could have easily deleted the word 'Thai" and inserted "third world country." My general experience is that no matter where you travel, you better get to know or ask the locals about the prices. That does not mean you won't be taken advantage. Just that you'll be taken adventage less often.

I seem to be taking this topic out of general Thai issues. Maybe more discussion in the other forum about experiences with public transportations in other countries?

May 5th, 2007, 22:12
This is a Thai issue. Its a constant problem in Thailand we are on a Thai board.

May 5th, 2007, 23:35
Pattaya Mail

"Man shot for beeping his horn

Theerarak Suthatiwongse
Police were called out to a shooting incident in front of the 7-Eleven in Soi Khao Noi just after midnight on April 23.
At the scene they found a pool of blood and a 38 mm handgun lying on the ground. The gun had been fired. The injured man had been taken to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, where he was identified as Naret Thong-oon, 38, of Samuthprakarn. He had been shot once in the stomach and was in serious condition.
At the scene locals and volunteer police officers had apprehended one of the involved parties who was identified as Samart Liangtanom, 27, of Nakhorn Rachasima. He told officers that the gunman was a man nicknamed Tam, but didnтАЩt know his first or last name. After the shooting Tam had fled the scene. Samart said the reason Tam shot Naret was to teach him a lesson for beeping his horn at him.
Naret was able to tell officers that he was on his motorcycle and heading for Com Tower in South Pattaya, where he was going to collect his girlfriend from work. He saw two men on a motorcycle swerving across the road. He beeped his horn and one of the men pulled out a gun and shot him. The passenger was apprehended but the driver threw down the gun and sped off. Police are now looking for Tam."

Pattaya Mail

TrongpaiExpat
May 6th, 2007, 00:26
I know this guy casually from the gym and one day last week he had his arm bandaged up, he had some bruises on his back and legs. I asked him what happen. He told me a taxi driver did it. He took a taxi from his room in Bangkok to his destination and the fare came to 37B. He gave the driver a 100B note and got back a 20B note and a 5B coin. He asked for the rest of the change and the driver gave him the no have routine. They had an argument. The driver told him to get out. He had one foot out of the taxi and slung a final insult at the driver, the driver started driving away before he was totally out of the taxi. This guy hung on, the driver kept hitting the breaks trying to shake the passenger. The driver then puts the taxi in reverse and catches a lamp post in the half open door with the passenger getting mangled. The passenger then rolls out on to the sidewalk and the driver speeds away. He did not get the drivers name or number. He was lucky to get away with just some minor injuries.

May 6th, 2007, 04:01
I call my wife, and considered calling the tourist police, but in the end I just walked into a nearby optical shop, got my glasses fixed up, walked down to panthip, bought a fresh shirt and went about my business.

And your total price was 18.000 THB for the "custom framed" #2 reading glasses? (bought in Phuket for 100 baht?). Did it take you 3 hours for your "prescription to be filled"?

It is funny but the greediest, pettyist tourists are the one's who get "reamed" the most. I mean, 50 THB? Wow, wp.

Did a farang kick a Thai ass?

Impulse
May 7th, 2007, 10:32
I dont think its worth the trouble over 20 baht.But doesnt the thai lose face also for fighting?. let me relate my last trip in Pattaya.I was staying in a guesthouse where a worker who has different responsibilities didnt notice me until I asked for my 2k in dollars from the safe.He almost appeared to cry when he found out how much was there.I was taking it to the bank from the safe. From that moment on he wouldnt leave me alone,telling me how much he liked me etc..I told him I wasnt interested in him politely to no avail.He would follow me up to my room and grab me in spite of my refusal of his advances.Well one night I relented and had sex with him.I only had sex one time with him but I would let him do small favors for me like a ride on his moped for an arrand or two.I offered him money after the sex but he said it was not enough and at the end of my trip i could tip him one amount.He told me another falang tipped him almost 30,000 baht for his services.Well,good for him,I was offering 1,500 baht but he wouldnt take it.Also,when i took a guy back to my room he would talk to him in thai and tell him he had sex with me.I guess these guys know each other.I thought that was rather rude since it affected my relationship with the guys I brought back with me.He would also ask the guy what we did together like he was my lover.Dont get me wrong this guy isnt a bad guy,but its another example of how some of these guys will take a mile if you give them an inch. Surprise,surprise,at the end of the trip i stiffed him.I was just annoyed to travel half way round the world to have this guy try to manipulate my vacation. If i go back and see him I probably will give him some money,how much Im not sure.

May 7th, 2007, 10:55
Don't bother,

Let him learn. Sometimes, its the only way, unfortunately , that they do!

May 7th, 2007, 11:15
Wowpow, you had me going there for a while, I really thought it was you, then I scrolled down and see it's a cut and paste.

You got me too! I almost wet my pants! "Wowpow must be spending too much time at Tawan Bar" I thought, "or maybe the sun got to him". :drunken:

All that fuss for 20 bhat.....

May 7th, 2007, 11:35
Wow,

With a name like Tam, the Police will find him in no time!

He wasn't dark haired, yellowy brown complexion and slightly chinese eyes,was he???

jimnbkk
May 7th, 2007, 21:57
Rocket,i think you encouraged the boy by dragging it on with him running errands etc.
I never like guesthouses with safes other than in your room.
One thing i always like to do with boys who pester me to come with them a second time and their first time sex was not good,is to tie them to the wardrobe handles ,you can buy plastic handcuffs too,and then whip them with your belt and then make them get on their knees and bark like a dog together.Just get on the floor with them on all floors and start barking.then hand them about 400 b,yes they will argue but boys i have done this with never bothered me again.
I have had even boys leave in the middle of me barking and not even bothered to collect their tip.

Billy, u are absolutely hilarious!

May 7th, 2007, 23:23
have had even boys leave in the middle of me barking

Shows that they know the colloquial meaning of "barking".