PDA

View Full Version : Everyone wants to be a teacher

Dboy
May 5th, 2007, 09:08
From what i read on AJARN ,it seems that teachers come and then they go.

...so basically being an English teacher is no different from working at Jim Jimmy James.

Dboy

paulg
May 5th, 2007, 10:19
I was offered a job when I retired teaching at a large english language school in BKK.

It fitted in well with my keeping my brain active, without going into full time employment.
The money was not important.

When it got close to making a decision, I met with a few of the teachers and found that they all had several classes before 9AM and 3-4 after 6PM ,with no classes between 9AM and 6pm classes except for the weekend. Weekend classes were for school age children, and that did not appeal

I was offered 200 baht per hour and almost accepted part time between 12 and 20 hours per week

One teacher I had became friendly with suggested before I made a decision, I spent a day with him observing his routine

Catching a crowded bus with no aircon to travel to his first class, was a shock. Standing all the way packed in like sardines was unpleasant. It became worse returning and even more travelling to his 6PM class.

When I mentioned in Telephone Bar that bus travel was not for me, I was told that was one of the perks of the job.
There is even more groping on BKK buses than on the trains in Tokyo. You can guess the rest.

I was amused to see LMTU reported to be doing a TOESL course in Rayong One of the reasons was I doubted if there was any teachers posts in Pattaya, that paid enough to live on, for someone without private means.

TrongpaiExpat
May 5th, 2007, 13:19
Thanks Paulg and jaafarabutarab. The web site ajarn.com paints a different picture. Often, some farang here in Bangkok tries to recruit me for a teaching job. Some seem quite happy. Not all are teaching English, one I know teaches physics, one architecture and another computer programing. Those teaching English see more dissatisfied.