PDA

View Full Version : Hopf Brew House - What I Feel Was An Anti-Gay Experience

American Teacher-old
February 5th, 2006, 14:31
There is only one thing -- and I mean this -- ONE THING -- that would cause me to write a public negative message about a business here in Pattaya. That one thing is when the owners discriminate against gay people or GLBT people.

My whole life, I have been proud to be a gay man and have volunteered my time to many different gay organizations that seek to make a difference and fight for equality. Therefore, when someone makes a public policy obviously aimed at keeping out GBLT people, I get pissed (that's mad, not drunk for you Brits out there)!

Last night, we closed our restaurant to celebrate my birthday and went out on the town. One of Niddy's and my favorite places to catch a quick drink is the Hopf Brew House on Beach Road just past Royal Garden. Last night I was with a group of mixed people -- 4 heterosexual females, two gay friends -- one Thai, one Australian, and Niddy and me. Three of the four girls were dressed to go clubbing (we were on our way to Hollywood after) -- and when I said they showed more of themselves than most of the girls working in the bars -- I am not kidding. Anyhow, the Thai Boy was dressed casually, but quite elegantly. He had on all white -- cute thin cotton pants (not see-through) and a thick white tank top. As we approached the door, the Door Man scowled at us and in a barking tone stated that we were not welcome because some of us were not adequately dressed. I immediately assumed it was one of the girls, so I pointed to the most scantily dressed one and he said "No, she looks great." It is okay for a girl but not a guy to wear a sleeveless shirt. I quickly gave Niddy's black jacket to the boy -- but the Door Man still waved us away. I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT I WAS HEARING AND SEEING. Now, I understand dress codes and the like -- though this is hardly the Ritz -- but really, what's good for the goose should also be good for the gander.

This story comes on the heels of another story a customer in Niddy's Nook told me about Lady Boys not being allowed to enter there as well. Pick up a slutty Thai Girl from the bar around the corner -- dressed in a fringed bra and stiletto go-go boots and... no problem. But bring a Lady boy -- or any gay looking guy in a tank top... and forget it.

Boils my blood.
I'll never return to that place. Ranks right up there with the Cracker Barrel Restaurant in America if you ask me.

-Chris[/b]

February 5th, 2006, 14:36
So how does this make it anti-gay? They have a dress code, not an anti-gay code based on what you're saying.

catawampuscat
February 5th, 2006, 14:59
Is this the place where they sing opera some nites? If so, I know many gay men who go for the opera and I have never heard of any problems..Of course, they probably don't take their ladyboys or bfs as I can't imagine opera would appeal to them..
I have run into weird dress codes where sandals with back straps were okay but slipon type sandals were no go..Maybe, a little rash to accuse them of being anti-gay from one bad experience with a doorman..

February 5th, 2006, 17:47
I too have been there with my BF. No problem at all. Was it just the doorman that gave you a problem? Did you talk to the manager?

Hmmm
February 5th, 2006, 19:43
According to google, their email address is:

hopfbeer@loxinfo.co.th

Why not ask them what their policy is ?

sing_lofty_sing
February 5th, 2006, 19:43
Took a boy into the place last year. We both had no problem with the doorman, so i think you must have run into a bad guy there. Once inside we had a drink each then left as a few customers who had a few too many were giving us the evil eye and a few stupid remarks. Didnt fancy trouble that night so we went. The staff were ok and showed no anti-gay feelings. Just a few drunken germans ( idiots ). :cyclops:

February 5th, 2006, 21:26
Did it ever occur to anyone that the guy was denied admittance because he had a muscle shirt on, not because he was "gay" (as if anyone can tell who is and who isn't be looking at them...or is there something we don't know here?). I can certainly understand a place trying to keep people with beach wear or muscle shirts out. (PS: yes, it is different for girls). If so, then I think American Teacher definitely owes the place an apology.

February 5th, 2006, 21:31
OK, I just got off the phone with the Hopf Brew House (the number is 038-710-650).

They DO have a dress code: short pants are OK, but no flip-flops or muscle shirts are allowed.

So, I think we can close the chapter on the hysterical "anti-gay" theatrics.

catawampuscat
February 5th, 2006, 23:02
You must tell me how you cleared out your negative karma, which I recall was in the double digits the other day..Maybe you alerted the moderators to delete the idiotic and illegal references to the alleged owner.. Someone is either a fool or out to harm this forum let me tell you...

elephantspike
February 6th, 2006, 00:05
idiotic and illegal references to the alleged owner.. Someone is either a fool or out to harm this forum let me tell you...

Fool removed. Permanantly.

American Teacher-old
February 6th, 2006, 07:14
As I said in my original message, I have no problems with dress codes -- remember, we gave the boy a jacket and they still would not allow him in. In addition, my other point was -- where is the dress code for women? Bras okay but muscle shirts not ok? And tank tops for women are okay as well. But not for guys.

And one last thing, did anyone ask about their policy on ladyboys? Now, I don't have any close lady boy friends, but I also believe in equal treatment for all.

-Chris

Smiles
February 6th, 2006, 08:06
Chris ... simply from the details you provide in your experience, I think it pretty over-reaching to use this description: "Hopf Brew House - An Anti-Gay Establishment".

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't ... but from your details as written above alone, I'd never consider your blanket designation of 'Anti-Gay' to be particulary justified, or particularly fair.
Rather jumping the gun I think ... unless there is more to it than you've described.

Cheers ...

February 6th, 2006, 08:08
It's defamatory, to be precise.

Smiles
February 6th, 2006, 08:20
It's defamatory, to be precise.
Bullshit. It's thoughtless exaggeration, nothing more nothing less. Unless, as I mentioned above, more pertinent details are not provided.

In America one sues the restaurant if one drops hot coffee on one's lap. In the Rest-Of-The-World one wipes it up and continues reading one's paper. (I assume from above BoyGeenyus is American ... sorry if not).

Cheers ...

February 6th, 2006, 08:44
DELETED

February 6th, 2006, 08:49
I actually take the time to call the Hopf Brew House, get details of their door policy, and report them back here -- yet someone smites me for that effort. Ungrateful piece of poo.

elephantspike
February 6th, 2006, 08:52
Does the 10% service fee actually go to the service staff? That makes a big difference. That's what venues have to do in locations where lots of people tend not to tip to ensure that servers who depend on tips for their primary income source are fairly compensated for their work.

One server in Thailand told me once that the service charge didn't go to the server, but to the house. That made me kind of angry. That is tantamount to the owners stealing the waiter's tips, because if a service charge is added, you don't have to leave any extra because the tip was already added on.

American Teacher-old
February 6th, 2006, 09:03
To keep everyone happy, I have changed my original title of this message. Therefore, instead of being a blanket statement I have changed it to a subjective experience. However, I still feel we were treated unjustly and I fully intend on not returning.

-Chris

February 6th, 2006, 10:09
DELETED

February 6th, 2006, 14:57
As we approached the door, the Door Man scowled at us and in a barking tone stated that we were not welcome...

He probably never forgave you for something he ate at your restaurant.

February 7th, 2006, 11:52
aaaaaaaaaaaah Sybil you made me laugh darling. :cheers:
Where can i meet you to thank you by giving you one on of my special sloppy kisses. :geek:

February 7th, 2006, 14:21
Where can i meet you to thank you by giving you one on of my special sloppy kisses.

Are those the ones you bend over backward to do: kiss your own butt? :binky:

February 7th, 2006, 18:46
I wonder if that was the night that HRH The Crown Prince dined there. I hear it was recently.

I read your story twice and cannot spot why you think it was not just a regular dress code but anti-gay. Am I missing something?

February 7th, 2006, 22:10
Where can i meet you to thank you by giving you one on of my special sloppy kisses.

Are those the ones you bend over backward to do: kiss your own butt? :binky:

You should know. You're one of the few possessing of that special talent. With the size of your butt it would be impossible to miss.

February 7th, 2006, 22:15
I wonder if that was the night that HRH The Crown Prince dined there. I hear it was recently.

You mean you weren't asked to man the nurse's station that night?

I read your story twice and cannot spot why you think it was not just a regular dress code but anti-gay. Am I missing something?

How quickly you turn. Surely you of all people would be able to empathise with a boy in a muscle shirt.

February 7th, 2006, 22:24
I can empathise with a fit Thai boy in a muscle shirt, but not with a 300-lb lager lout with a hairy back and body odor in one -- which is probably what the rule was designed to keep out.

February 7th, 2006, 22:33
I can empathise with a fit Thai boy in a muscle shirt, but not with a 300-lb lager lout with a hairy back and body odor in one.

You know Edith too? Small world. (And it gets smaller with the likes of Edith and wowpow.)

February 8th, 2006, 03:37
Interesting ,Chris "s post that his farang friends are visting,very interesting.