PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Sky Train Advertising

April 29th, 2007, 21:24
More of the news that I like to hear though I would certainly be happier if I heard all the noisy annoying advertising on the skytrain were BEING removed.

If you haven't noticed the metro has now got television sets blaring away with glamorous advertising of luxury goods ON the insides of the trains as well as strategically located in the waiting areas and other places.

I kind of dislike a society that thinks that all I have to do is to think about the luxury cosmetics that will make me look more western in appearance. It is kind of funny to watch the well dressed secretary on her way to work sitting on the sky train in a short dress and high heels, makeup all over her face, with eyes flashing between whatever she is doing on her mobile phone and the pretty princess dancing away while applying her mascara on the TV screen above her.

The excessive advertising all along the sky train routes in Bangkok outdid Singapore and HK long ago. Just not Thailand. I feel sorry for Thai kidf who are growing up into a culture which teaches such ugly materialistic desires are to be cherished.

Strident, irrelevant advertising having an effect on health

BANGKOK: -- The Quiet Bangkok Club, a group of some 500 Bangkok residents concerned with the increase of noise and its impact on health, will organise visits to quiet, pleasant places in Bangkok to raise public awareness about the intense noise pollution in the capital city.

The decision was reached after some of the members met yesterday at Wat Pathumvanaram, a city-centre temple which is flanked by mega-malls on both sides and a Skytrain route in front.

"We are concerned about the health hazard posed by the threat which is reducing the quality of life," said Uthong Kovindha, a core member of the club and a lecturer in philosophy at Thammasat University. "We want to do something before it's too late. Children today can't concentrate, and they show increasing signs of erratic behaviour due to the noise pollution, which affects their psychological state."

Another leading member, Oraya Sutabutr, also a lecturer at Thammasat University, said people in Bangkok found it hard to know themselves or search within their souls. The constant noise such as the prevalence of loud, irrelevant advertising on public transport like the Skytrain takes away their concentration and peace of mind. "It is everywhere, and many people still do not realise it is a problem," she said.

Kritika Lertsawat, a former official at the Department of Pollution Control and a member of the group, said that in some department stores it was difficult to have a conversation without shouting. She said that if people had a hard time hearing one another at a range of one metre, then the background noise was too high and long exposure could lead to stress, psychological damage and permanent hearing impairment.

One trip to be organised in the future will be dubbed "Bangkok Oasis Tour". Some members of the group want to launch a more adversarial approach through protests against business operators that thoughtlessly subject the public and customers to noise, but it appears that the majority of the club membe rs want a quieter approach to address the issue.

-- The Nation 2007-04-29

April 30th, 2007, 08:54
Double post.

April 30th, 2007, 09:00
More of the news that I like to hear though I would certainly be happier if I heard all the noisy annoying advertising on the skytrain were BEING removed.

If you haven't noticed the metro has now got television sets blaring away with glamorous advertising of luxury goods ON the insides of the trains as well as strategically located in the waiting areas and other places.

I kind of dislike a society that thinks that all I have to do is to think about the luxury cosmetics that will make me look more western in appearance. It is kind of funny to watch the well dressed secretary on her way to work sitting on the sky train in a short dress and high heels, makeup all over her face, with eyes flashing between whatever she is doing on her mobile phone and the pretty princess dancing away while applying her mascara on the TV screen above her.

The excessive advertising all along the sky train routes in Bangkok outdid Singapore and HK long ago. Just not Thailand. I feel sorry for Thai kidf who are growing up into a culture which teaches such ugly materialistic desires are to be cherished.

Well Arnold, as the late great Bill Hicks used to say regularly to his audiences: "If there is anybody out there amongst you that are in marketing, do me and everybody else a big favour will you? Kill your fucking self". I think that there was something in those words that have always made perfect sense to me. How about you?

G.

April 30th, 2007, 10:02
They have also started to put adverts all over the ugly skytrain stations by putting hoardings around the pillars. The neat advertising light boxes remain mostly empty. The plasma tvs blare out so you can check if you have gone deaf yet.

I have been most impressed with the subways in that they are all simple elegant granite, glass and steel but the sound levels were amazingly low due to the design and the acoustic ceiling panels. The back projection of tv adverts on the glass panels to the trains saddens me. There are occasional advertisements creeping into the stations as well.

When I am Queen of Thailand, the first thing I will do is ban and remove all those horrendous huge billboards which defile the cities and motorways. This will allow greater appreciation of the artwork of the electricity cables.

The second thing I will ban is moving Avotars that pollute forums - like George's.

April 30th, 2007, 11:48
The second thing I will ban is moving Avotars that pollute forums - like George's.

wowpow, I am flattered that out of all the choices you had, you have chosen my one as the one that seems to have offended you the most. Seems as though my post on bodybuilders, has left me with no chance whatsoever of ever being able to recover where you are concerned and your ever being civil to me, is something I must now accept as highly improbable to say the least. Wow wowpow, that post must have pissed you off more than I would have believed possible.

Although this will no doubt diminish any chance I may have had left with you, may I say to you with the greatest of respect, please take a chill pill my dear and lighten up.

G.