PDA

View Full Version : Eva air delays LHR_BKK_LHR

April 24th, 2007, 02:36
Have you ever notice that most of the time you
fly this route with eva; london-bangkok, its almost fashionable to have a delay either going or returning home.....

This was the case a few weeks ago when the plane left bkk

You would think by now that whatever seems to be causing the delays, that this would be fixed or retified by now, as the longer a plane over stays its slot at the airfield, it them incurs fines for doing so, yet over my past 4 years experience, this seems to predictable with eva - whats going on here?!

Bob
April 24th, 2007, 04:33
I've flown with EVA (LAX to BKK) about a dozen times. Returning from LOS just the other day, I was in the EVA Taipei lounge when I heard a EVA stewardess say something about EVA Air being very consistent. Seizing the chance, I said that I had flown EVA on about 48 segments and I fully agree with the "consistency" notion - as EVA was extremely consistent as they never start boarding on time nor have they ever taken off on time. She didn't appreciate my honest comment.

(Nevertheless, I have always enjoyed the service, clean bathrooms, etc., and will continue to fly EVA as they are "pretty much" on time and I really like the Elite/Evergreen Deluxe service).

billyhouston
April 24th, 2007, 04:42
Fly this route a couple of times a year but have not experienced delays of more than a few minutes, lucky perhaps especially since I have a connection at Heathrow.

What has greatly annoyed me is that EVA seem to be reluctant to confirm seats for mileage upgrades to Premium Laurel (Business). In the past confirmed seats could be obtained by a visit to Green Tower, but these days it seems to be available only at checkin or, as happened to me recently, only at the gate. I declined the offer of an upgrade at the gate. It's almost as though they do not want to honour their 'frequent flier miles' at all. Perhaps other have had a better experience.

After 7 years of using EVA I'm seriously considering flying via the Gulf (Etihad) and, since I have to connect a Heathrow anyway, it takes about the same time though departure times are less convenient.

April 24th, 2007, 05:02
When I used to fly EVA, I never had a problem using my miles to upgrade to business class. Just a simple phone call. I was never turned down as long as their were any remaining business class seats. They would reassign me a business class seat and email me a new itinerary showing the upgrade.

Bob, If your flying LAX to BKK, you should really try Thai's Non-stop flight. Their premium economy service is better than EVAs Economy deluxe, and avoiding that 2 or 3 hour layover in Taipei is great. I find the ticket price to be about the same. I was a dedicated EVA customer, but I would never go back now, unless Thai was to discontinue the non-stop service.

April 24th, 2007, 05:07
If it's any consolation I'm finding SWISS are not particularly good timekeepers.

They are also stingy with allowing pre-booked mileage upgrades which were stated as unavailable although a gate upgrade was obtained. FF tickets into Bangkok are more difficult to get than some other Asian destinations.

April 24th, 2007, 05:35
... that is why. It makes sense.

However, Heathrow has recently (April 21 I think) opened a new tower recently and quote this on the BA airways site.

National Air Traffic Services (NATS) opened a new ┬г50 million control tower at London Heathrow airport on Saturday 21 April 2007.

In order to maintain the very highest levels of safety NATS will restrict the number of aircraft allowed to land each hour for a number of days. This is to provide controllers with time to familiarise themselves with the new tower. All airlinesтАЩ services to and from Heathrow may therefore be subject to some delays at certain times.

British Airways are working very closely with NATS and the airport's operator BAA to ensure that any delays to our flights are kept to a minimum.

Customers are advised that they should check in as normal.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/fl ... faqid=2581 (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=2581)

April 24th, 2007, 09:03
Dear Billyhouston,

I have done exactly what you are considering, I was a die-hard evergreen fan! [I changed from EVA to Etihad] as I also have a connection [to Manchester] and found Etihad to be better for me all the way round.

However, I was told that EVA now has new planes, I moved on because their planes and service started to get a bit shabby, I used to go Evergreen De Luxe and often upgrade with miles or even buy Business class tickets.

If We were slightly late into London, I used to miss my connection and had to fly up the following morning. Etihad in flight and food is five star great, a lot cheaper to fly than EVA and new planes.

One small point, the plane from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi is bigger than the plane from Abu Dhabi to Manchester, with more leg room!

You leave in the morning from BKK and arrive in the morning in Manchester.

Just a note, On December 4th, We had a two hour delay in Bangkok,We were given a meal voucher and everyone assured their transfer flights would be held in Abu Dhabi AND we would not be late to our destination plus a profuse apology.

They kept all promises and 30 KGS of luggage in Economy, Not Bad Eh!!!! two of us in High season for 900 pounds sterling.

April 24th, 2007, 09:17
DELETED

April 24th, 2007, 09:20
Sure did!

I got my flight from NPK in Pattayaland soi 1. [ small travel agents and translation service] Great staff and helpful.

K

Boxer
April 24th, 2007, 09:55
I use Emirates from Bkk into Birmingham or Manchester via Dubai 1-3 hrs stopover fine service and no delays.

April 24th, 2007, 12:44
The Middle Eastern airlines are building fine reputations - Emirates and Qatar in particular. However they do have to stop over on the way and I read poor reports of Abu Dhabi airport. They do seem to offer some terrific prices as well http://www.saveflights.com/

I am a fan of Eve Evergreen/Elite premium economy which friends and I have used for years. They used to be spot on time - the 9.30 p.m. take-off flight from Heathrow used to leave the ground almost exactly at 9.30. It is a very nice time to fly and you arrived in Bangkok about 3.15 p.m. the following day. A short siesta and out for frolics and no jet lag. Recently they seem to have taken to leaving late but arriving on-time?

I only had one serious delay of 5 hours at Bangkok. They had to get a replacement plane because of a fault. They put out snacks and cold drinks and gave passengers who wanted a room overnight at the Sheraton Skyline Heathrow.

===============

EVA are getting very mean with the booze. No aperitifs some flights, wine served in glass egg cups, no cognac. I got a severe lecture from a stewardess for drinking my own wine ( much better then theirs ) and then a repeat from the head stewardess. As far as I could make out I was entitled to unlimited supplies of their wine but it was a crime to drink my own. I can only surmise that I may look like one who falls into alcohol induced rages?

Funnily enough when one flies Business or First they pour booze down your throat non-stop. Champagne, aperitifs, white wine, red wine, port, cognac or liqueurs. Maybe only poor people get alcohol rages?

April 24th, 2007, 14:00
Wowpow,

I disagree on Abu Dhabi, for me it is a short stopover, enough to keep you occupied, Serious Duty Free shoppers will love it AND I have never seen an Airport with as many Smoking Rooms!!

So, the smokers will have a ball. Not for me anymore thanks!, But this is for information purposes and for the benefit of all travellers and according to Polls, Gays are big on the smoking front! Excuse the pun!

Staff again efficient. I have not seem any American Breakfasts advertised though!

Kevin.

April 24th, 2007, 14:40
The Middle Eastern airlines are building fine reputations - Emirates and Qatar in particular. However they do have to stop over on the way and I read poor reports of Abu Dhabi airport.

Having flown Emirates for the past 8 years and been extremely satisfied with their service, I wouldn't dream of changing to another airline. The stop over is great being a smoker and Dubai, Emirates base, is arguably the best airport in the world. Qatar, who I have also heard great reports about, stop over at their base Doha. Neither of these two airlines to my knowledge ever stop over in Abu Dhabi.

G.

April 24th, 2007, 14:41
To JakeNasty,

I agree that Thai Super Economy is probably a better flight to LAX than EVA Evergreen. However, I cannot agree that the prices are about the same. I just checked both on the Internet for flights in December. EVA is 48000Baht(with tax) and Thai is 62000Baht. Where do you buy your Thai tickets? Are you getting a much better deal that the Internet price?

April 24th, 2007, 15:15
Those who can drive over to Leeds should check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdsv2CRHjk

April 24th, 2007, 19:29
Just for clarification, Etihad (EY) has its home base in Abu Dhabi, Qatar Airways (QR) in Doha and Emirates (EK) in Dubai. Never having flown with EY I can't comment but it seems like an up and coming airline with money to burn. Having been through Abu Dhabi a couple of times, it's definitely not my favorite. My friend equates it to a big pissoir. It's very smoky and crowded. QR is great (mostly) and also has money to burn. Doha is "ok", much better than Abu Dhabi, but getting crowded. If you fly in J or F on QR you can use their premium terminal which separates you from the masses. EK, in my opinion has really taken a turn for the worse, service wise at least, over the past few years. So much so I gave up on them and switched to QR. Dubai airport when it first opened was great,..now however a totally different story. Bodies everywhere laying about, no place to sit, filthy washrooms, rude staff and grossly expensive duty free. Avoid this airport at all costs. Sadly, Gulf Air flying out of Bahrain looks like it is going belly up. Once the best carrier from the middle east (in the days when the only competition was Saudia), now a distant shadow of it old self and fading fast. They just recently announced a major downsize with both Hong Kong and Singapore and others getting the ax. Bangkok seems to have survived for now.

bao-bao
April 24th, 2007, 21:12
EVA are getting very mean with the booze. No aperitifs some flights, wine served in glass egg cups, no cognac. I got a severe lecture from a stewardess for drinking my own wine ( much better then theirs ) and then a repeat from the head stewardess. As far as I could make out I was entitled to unlimited supplies of their wine but it was a crime to drink my own. I can only surmise that I may look like one who falls into alcohol induced rages?

Funnily enough when one flies Business or First they pour booze down your throat non-stop. Champagne, aperitifs, white wine, red wine, port, cognac or liqueurs. Maybe only poor people get alcohol rages?

It isn't that you're bringing an alcoholic beverage on board with you that's a potential concern for any carrier, wowpow; it's two greater "unknowns": the quantity of it you'll be imbibing and the effects it'll have on you in a constrained area full of similarly-disgruntled cattle. If they serve it to a passenger themselves at least they have SOME control.

On my last trip to LOS I had four male college-age breeders just two rows behind me, whooping it up in great detail how much pussy they were going to get on Soi Cowboy until one by one they fell asleep or passed out. I would have LOVED the airline to have had more control over what they (must have) brought on-board with them since I'd bet no airline would've over-served them to that extent.

I was actually wishing our own dear BBB/WD-40 could have been there: one-upping them about how many ladyboys he was going to spank may well have shut them up!

April 24th, 2007, 23:30
Last times i always flew with qatar in business from athen for all incl. 1150 euro or with forkflight back from singapore for 1390 euro--superservice--the new businessclassterminal in doha offers good relax.

April 25th, 2007, 04:25
Jomtiened1.. I haven't checked December prices.. but for my upcoming June trip.. Both Thai and EVA were about $1400 (USD before taxes) r/t in premium economy. EVA might have been about $100 cheaper, but the non-stop and better service is well worth the difference to me.

Bob
April 25th, 2007, 04:38
For the last few years, the highest rates EVA and other carriers have charged have been during the June through August time periods (like somehow they are raising rates for the US summer school vacation time period). It's never made sense to me but that's the way it's been. You'll see EVA rates drop for the fall (at least that's occurred for the last several years).

billyhouston
April 25th, 2007, 04:49
Dear Billyhouston,

I have done exactly what you are considering, I was a die-hard evergreen fan! [I changed from EVA to Etihad] as I also have a connection [to Manchester] and found Etihad to be better for me all the way round.

However, I was told that EVA now has new planes, I moved on because their planes and service started to get a bit shabby, I used to go Evergreen De Luxe and often upgrade with miles or even buy Business class tickets.

If We were slightly late into London, I used to miss my connection and had to fly up the following morning. Etihad in flight and food is five star great, a lot cheaper to fly than EVA and new planes.

From my point of view the new (777-300ER) EVA planes are a mixed blessing. The 'Elite' seats are not as wide as the old 'Evergreen' seats and, to my mind at least, less comfortable. The 'Premium Laurel' seats, though reclining further, are too short in bed position for someone taller than 190cm. More importantly there is not the room to walk around on the 777 that there was on the 747. It's seats everywhere whereas on the 747, especially around row 23, there was space and also walking/standing space near the galleys. 12 or 13 hours is too long without some modest exercise which is discouraged on the 777. Even though I'm not a drinker, I too have found them mean with the drinks in Elite.

Have to make up my mind in the next week or so but will probably plump for Etihad business class. On the other hand I have a fair number of EVA miles....(They have recently reduced the accrual rate for some classes of ticket)

April 25th, 2007, 05:26
Have travelled Manchester to BKK on Etihad several times now. New planes, cheap prices, great service. The best I've experienced so far. Give them a try :cheers:

April 28th, 2007, 18:07
Dear Northstar,

It is of interest to me, I'm from that area.

I cannot access from Thailand. Is there a problem or is Youtube blocked from Thailand???

April 28th, 2007, 18:31
Dear Northstar,

I cannot access from Thailand. Is there a problem or is Youtube blocked from Thailand???

Youtube is blocked from Thailand. This was because of some defamatory remarks made against the King.

G.

April 28th, 2007, 19:20

Yep. I was aware of the block when I posted it but thought it's worth it for those who get out of Thailand occasionally. The clip is a good exposition of Yorkshire Airlines and points out that mushy peas are not served in business class on other airlines - not even those serving Harrogate and Scarborough.