PDA

View Full Version : Australian Culture - Cinema in Bangkok

April 21st, 2007, 16:15
"Some folks say we Ozzies ain't got kulture but believe me folks we have deep Culture - up to our asses in fact"
Sir Les Patterson Australian Cultural attache to the Court of St. James'

Weekendhighlight :Aussie rules cinema - The Nation
Check out the best of Australian films until April 25 at the Emporium

"Aboriginal culture, the Bulldogs Aussie Rules football team from Melbourne's Footscray, the Australian mafia and the beautiful landscapes of the outback are among the highlights of the fifth Australian Film Festival.??Hosted by the Australian Embassy, the festival features 10 feature films and six shorts from critically acclaimed filmmakers in the genres of drama, comedy and romance. Most of them are recent films that have won international awards.??The festival opened yesterday with Craig Lahiff's "Black and White", a heart-wrenching drama based on real events that took place in Adelaide, South Australia.??Based on the trial of a young Aboriginal man, which made headline news in 1959, "Black and White" portrays the moral questions faced by two lawyers embarking on a battle for natural justice that has consequences both for themselves and the country. The film will be screened again on Sunday....."
Full article
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/weekend ... 32256.html (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/weekend/20070420/index.php?news=weekend_30032256.html)

April 21st, 2007, 20:35
... they refer to the cinema as the "theatre"

April 22nd, 2007, 07:18
fortunately Australians are cultured enough to not refer to the Lavatory as the John.

Each country has its own culture and this is one of the reasons why people travel, I embrace the differances in the Thai culture as a broadening experience for myself.
I hope other embassies also have film festivals and this is an annual event, thanks wowpow for the information.

April 22nd, 2007, 20:49
Each country has its own culture and this is one of the reasons why people travel ...But has Australian culture yet escaped the Petrie dish? I can certainly understand why you would want to travel away from it