PDA

View Full Version : Visa to UK

April 19th, 2007, 19:02
Last year my B/F applied for a visa to the UK, it was like many refused. This year we want to try again, can anyone give any advice, or suggest a good agency that can help. For information my B/F hasn't a full time job, is in the middle of his university course, has money in the bank, his own house.

Boxer
April 19th, 2007, 21:19
Should be no problem if at Uni and owns assets here and bank account so has reason to come back but advise reading http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=idx Visas for other countries forum, page two is good now.
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk site is also full of info sheets and checklists on what to produce and how.

I am just doing an applciation for my bf and its 13 sections with many documents as exhibits in each so takes time to do right.
All starts here http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 6977149953 (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977149953)
I would not go to an agent but work thro it yourself.

What was the refusal reason last time as one is always given?
Lets hear how you get on.

April 21st, 2007, 23:44
Dear Christ,

I agree with Brian, you should certainly do the application yourself for the UK Visa. The Embassy has stated, [it used to be on the wall of the British Embassy in the days when you applied directly to the Embassy] that if they have knowledge of people using these agencies, it could jeopardize your chances of obtaining a visa.

Try this for a bit of help.
1. Visa application.
2.Letter and details from his university giving details and permission for leave of absence.
3. Copy of yours and his passports.
4.Copy up to date bank statements.
5.Copies of title deeds and land papers.
6.Letter of invitation from yourself and/or your family that he intends to stay with in the UK.
7.Proof of your employment in the UK and proof that you have ample funds to support him during his stay in the UK.
8.Proof of your relationship, length of time known.
9.The above should be enough to satisfy the Embassy of reasons to return.

If you are based in Pattaya or visiting, try speaking to the Honarary Consul, Mr. Barry Kenyon MBE who goes 110% to help UK Nationals with any consular services, and will check your application beforeyou submit it.

Place everything in a file with a list of documents enclosed, and the best of luck.

I obtained a two year multiple for my partner Tam in December, but he had been to the UK on a number of occasions with me previously. The first application you will probably only get a single entry.

It is advisable to try and stick rigidly to the dates and timetable that you request from the Embassy in case you want future visits. They take a bit of a dim view, if you request two/three weeks and the person stays six months!

April 22nd, 2007, 00:11
... my B/F hasn't a full time job, is in the middle of his university course, has money in the bank, his own house.Did he disclose all of that information last time? If so, what has changed that you believe he will be successful this time?

April 22nd, 2007, 00:55
... my B/F hasn't a full time job, is in the middle of his university course, has money in the bank, his own house.Did he disclose all of that information last time? If so, what has changed that you believe he will be successful this time?

A good question homintern. From experience, I can tell you that when the Embassy turns down an application, as you have said they did the first time Christ, although they say it will not affect any future applications as no doubt you were informed, they are being less than economical with the truth.

If you are to stand any chance whatsoever of succeeding this time, your b/f's application must be totally different from his previous one and he must support every single claim you make above. He must take along proof that he is attending the university, his bank book showing he has a minimum of 100,000 baht in the account and make sure it isn't deposited the day before his visit to the Embassy. Along with this he must also take the deeds to his house that you claim he has. A letter from a kind professor at the uni, stating he believes the trip to the UK will be beneficial to his studies would not do his chances of success any harm either.

My b/f was also turned down the first time, but was successful with the second application purely because I made sure that I gave them little or no reason to turn his application down, which they are always looking for, simply by supporting totally every claim made by him in the second application. Believe me, unless you go about things in the way I have described above, his application the second time around will prove to be as fruitful as his first one.

Choc Dee to you both, and please let us know how you get on.

G.

April 22nd, 2007, 01:14
From experience, I can tell you that when the Embassy turns down an application, as you have said they did the first time Christ, although they say it will not affect any future applications as no doubt you were informed, they are being less than economical with the truth.Visa rejection letters I have seen usually have a statement towards the end that says, basically, "unless you can show that circumstances have changed materially, don't waste your time and ours by applying again". The language is less blunt, so people often don't understand what's being said

April 22nd, 2007, 01:16
Thanks for all the info, it will help.
Last time whilst I thought we had sent loads of stuff, they wanted proof that I had known him for 5 years as stated, thankfully we had date stamped photos from 5 years ago, that seemed to suffice for that part. Money, OK, proof of house OK... what seemed to be a problem was the questions on 'the itinery', they grilled him over where he was going, being painfully shy I'm sure he didnt come through that very well, this time it will be a simple itinery.
Also now he's 12 months into a 3 year university course doing serious courses which he hadn't started on his last application, hopefully letters from the University and his tutors will help.
Thanks for the tip on asking the Pattaya consul to help, at least he can look at the application and give us some more advise.
Thanks for your help so far, appreciated by us both.

Boxer
April 22nd, 2007, 08:12
Here is the list of things to get and do.

APPLICATION FOR SOCIAL VISITORS (VISA NATIONALS)

1. Completed VAF 1
2. Two recent passport-sized photographs (Please view the @Photo SpecsтАЩ for exact specifications)- Please note- unsuitable photos will only delay your application. 45x35mm
3. Current valid passport (showing current Thai immigration status) and all previous passports. Also if you have a sponsor please provide a FULL COPY of their passport.
4. Thai employment/dependant pass/Thai identity card ( photocopy )
5. If you are applying as a family visitor please include a statement detailing exact relationship to sponsor.( sister, same mother same father- cousin, motherтАЩs sisterтАЩs child etc) Please seek advice on what qualifies as family visit application.
6. Evidence of employment/ leave letter from Thai Company (should state dates of approved leave and period of employment) / letter from school (should state dates of school holidays and applicantтАЩs course start and completion dates); (If expenses are borne by a company, this should be stated in the letter) + evidence of your assets in Thailand (savings/ properties etc)
7. Sponsored visits тАУ If another person sponsors your trip we must see the following documents- letter from the sponsor, their bank statements for the last 6 months and if they are based in the UK we must see copy of their passport showing their UK Immigration status.
8. If you are applying for your trip, you will need to provide proof of your ability to do so, eg, bank passbook/ bank statements showing at least your 3 monthsтАЩ transactions. (Originals and 1 photocopy). Credit cards are not acceptable as sole evidence of available funds.
9. If you are applying to visit family/boyfriend/girlfriend/partners in UK please provide full evidence of contact to show evidence of your relationship e.g. copy of their passport showing visits to Thailand/ Emails/letters/phone bills etc
10. Evidence of any firm travel plans (e.g. ticket booking/ letter from travel agent/ travel itinerary); (for transit passengers, air tickets must be shown).
11. Fee charged by the Embassy and VFS service fee charge.
12. For travellers under the age of 18: A signed statement of consent from parent(s)/legal guardian(s) detailing your travel plans and the full names, passport numbers and contact details of up to two adults who will be travelling with you. If you will be travelling on your own, a signed statement to this effect from your parent(s)/legal guardian(s), detailing the arrangements made for your care in the UK and the full names and contact details of all adults involved in these arrangements.
13. Any other documents in support of your application.

PLEASE NOTE:

(a) An interview may be required

( b) For Chinese (PRC) nationals and some other passport holders, visits to the UK of more than 1year must be referred to the UK. This will again cause a delay in the processing of the application.
(c)In cases of a previous refusal for entry to UK, an interview will be required and the
(d)Application may need to be referred to the UK or other UK missions.
(e)Please note that you may also be asked to provide further documentary evidence in addition to the above guidelines.

Checked by (initials)
Date

Full documents submitted Yes/No

If you choose not to provide some of the above documentation you must sign the following declaration:
I have been advised to provide the above-mentioned documents but I intend to submit my application without the documents crossed in this checklist. I understand that failure to provide these documents may result in the refusal of my application.

Signature:...........................
Date:..................................

BUT what did the refusal say??
P.S. Barry Kenyon is there to help with UK Consular applications in Thailand not for Thai applications to UK and officailly cannot help Thai's.

April 22nd, 2007, 09:05
From experience, I can tell you that when the Embassy turns down an application, as you have said they did the first time Christ, although they say it will not affect any future applications as no doubt you were informed, they are being less than economical with the truth.Visa rejection letters I have seen usually have a statement towards the end that says, basically, "unless you can show that circumstances have changed materially, don't waste your time and ours by applying again". The language is less blunt, so people often don't understand what's being said

Actually homintern, I must disagree with what you say above as I have never known a single case in all the ones I have seen, where it states anything other than the reasons for the refusal to grant the visa. The only other thing stated is; that the refusal to grant a visa on this occasion, will in no way influence any further application to obtain one in the future

Whilst I am commander in chief of the brigade that believes that those nauseating bastards at the British Embassy, are not only a bunch of no good lazy bastards, they are also and I say this without fear of contradiction, without doubt amongst the most unhelpful people on this planet it has been my misfortune to encounter. However, I also believe that inaccurate and false statements that are made against them, should be defended as such. Sheesh, help to appear in such a bad light as they do, is something they need no help with whatsoever and manage to accomplish all by themselves.

Anyway homintern, you never fooled me for a second, I knew immediately on reading your post that your tongue was very firmly in your cheek when making those comments. Either that or you are someone that hates the British with a passion and would make statements against them where the truth was the last thing that came into consideration or was of any importance on this quest. It could not possible be the latter I am sure. Could it? :confused2:

G.

April 22nd, 2007, 11:39
Dear Brian,

There was no inference that Barry Kenyon would sway anything or get involved .

I was merely pointing out he would look over the application to see everything was in order and nothing had been forgotten or missed out, which Barry has always been happy to do.

The Visa section is the Visa section is the Visa section and we all know they are strict.

George, I don't wish to start a flame or heated debate but I think you have been a little harsh to the Embassy!

I had a number of problems in Thailand years ago and most recently Cancer.

I found them to be extremely helpful and kind in many departments and in many ways.

You cannot please 'tar them all with the same brush'

I suppose human nature dictates that they must get bored [ Embassy Staff]when there are specific websites and everything which needs to be done is explained that people neither take the trouble to read them or cannot be bothered with the effort and in the old days, just roll up at the Embassy in shorts looking like they just fell out of the nearest go go bar expecting the Embassy to sit, read and put in order their dog eared application,which they finished filling out at five in the morning drinking their tenth Tiger beer!!! :drunken:

Tell me in the old days, how many people have not been stood behind one of these people in the queue looking up to the heavens and thinking ' Why the Hell didn't you take the time to study and do it properly instead of holding the rest of 200 people up!!'

It's the same when someone gets slaughtered out of their face , gets locked up by the Boys in Brown for being abusive, and then screams at the Embassy for not getting Breakfast in Bed and an early check out!

Our own UK Nationals need to realize the British Embassy in Bangkok is a Government Department of equal standing and deserving of respect as Thai Immigration.

Sometimes, We can all get frustrated with them when we get the answers that we do not wish to listen to.

They, at the Embassy, are given very strict directives from the United Kingdom and deviating from them to help someone or going that little bit too far outside their pay grade leads often to a swift departure!!

You also have a appeal system and complaints procedure system, its no good saying you don't complain because nobody listens.The only way you will get change, is, if you feel you have been genuinely unfairly treated to place a complaint.

We could also say, how far would you get complaining in Thailand??? Fair's fair George.

April 22nd, 2007, 12:03
George, I don't wish to start a flame or heated debate but I think you have been a little harsh to the Embassy! I had a number of problems in Thailand years ago and most recently Cancer.I found them to be extremely helpful and kind in many departments and in many ways. You cannot please 'tar them all with the same brush' Fair's fair George.

Hi kquill, let me assure you that you will get no flames or heated debate from me. My comments were directed solely at the visa section only of the British Embassy and towards no other department. My apologies if that was not made clear in my post. I am in complete agreement with you as far as the rest of your posts is concerned, and have always had pleasant experiences when dealing with other departments of the Embassy over the years here in Thailand. Fair by the way, is something that I always endeavor to try and be.

Choc Dee once again Christ with the application, I will be wishing you every success.

G.

April 22nd, 2007, 16:27
Cheers George.

Kevin.

April 22nd, 2007, 20:32
... you won't be dealing directly with the Visa section at all. Like the Australians they have outsourced visa applications to a third party who receives the application, charges a handling fee (400 baht I believe), and passes it on to the Consular section of the Embassy for processing. A week or so later you'll get the passport back from that same third party, either with a visa or a rejection letter. You may on very rare occasions be invited for an interview. At almost all times your application will be handled by a Thai national who is employed by the Embassy to administer their regulations
http://www.ukvac-th.com/

Boxer
April 23rd, 2007, 17:14
OK guys what is the best time of day to go to UK Visa office Regent House to put in an application?

April 23rd, 2007, 18:51
Brian,

I can say without fear of contradiction the best time would be

between 9.00am and 3.30pm if you want a to put in an application for a visa.

Don't go at midnight, it's shut!

I love being helpful.

April 23rd, 2007, 19:19
I can say without fear of contradiction the best time would be between 9.00am and 3.30pm if you want a to put in an application for a visa.If there's any comparison to the old-style waits at the Australian Embassy vs. the new-style processing then you'll hardly know you've been there. On the three or four occasions I've been to the new Australian centre I've walked out 5 minutes after having walked in, receipt in hand. A word of warning for newbies to the process - you need to take a photocopy of the photo page of the passport with you - that's what's used as a receipt and that's what you have to show when you go back a week later to get the passport

Boxer
April 24th, 2007, 10:03
Just found out NEW TIMES opening 8.30am to 3 pm for applications and 3pm to 4.30pm for collections so I do contradict you Kevin, haha!