View Full Version : Canadian Visa for Lao

yaraboy
April 18th, 2007, 21:45
I have perused the website and obtained the Thai Embassy visa package.........Has anyone had success with obtaining a visa by just sending in information required and not doing so in person..............given the absence of a Canadian Embassy there

April 18th, 2007, 22:52
I have perused the website and obtained the Thai Embassy visa package.........Has anyone had success with obtaining a visa by just sending in information required and not doing so in person..............given the absence of a Canadian Embassy there

There's no Canadian Embassy in Vientiane?

elephantspike
April 19th, 2007, 07:48
If you enter Laos from Thailand, you can obtain a visa for $30 USD in Nong Khai at the crossing at the Friendship Bridge. At least that was the way it was as of 3 years ago. I don't know if this has changed. Also I'm assuming that it is the same for Canadians as for US citizens. I do remember that you had to pay with US money, though, but there are banks in Nong Khai that will exchange your baht for USD. The guesthouse I was staying at had $100 bills they exchanged at a slightly higher rate than the banks.

April 19th, 2007, 09:17
If you enter Laos from Thailand, you can obtain a visa for $30 USD in Nong Khai at the crossing at the Friendship Bridge. At least that was the way it was as of 3 years ago. I don't know if this has changed. Also I'm assuming that it is the same for Canadians as for US citizens. I do remember that you had to pay with US money, though, but there are banks in Nong Khai that will exchange your baht for USD. The guesthouse I was staying at had $100 bills they exchanged at a slightly higher rate than the banks.

I thought he was asking about a Canadian visa for a Lao citizen. His writing is not very clear.

April 19th, 2007, 10:10
Dunno where/how you intend to enter Laos, but I flew into Vientiane last week. Visa on Arrival at the airport, $30USD for Australians, I think the same for US and Canadian citizens. No problems, but a pain to have to queue up with 50% of the plane for a visa.

yaraboy
April 19th, 2007, 10:50
Sorry...........none too clear................yes want info on Lao citizen applying for a Canadian visa....anyone with any direct experience helping such an applicant ?.........also there is not a Canadian Embassy in Vientiane

April 19th, 2007, 12:29

I thought he was asking about a Canadian visa for a Lao citizen. His writing is not very clear.

I am unable to help yaraboy, but can say that the entry into Laos from Nong Khai is very easy and exactly the same now as boygeenyus says it was three years ago. The one difference being that the entry fee of $30 can be paid for in either dollars or baht.

G.

April 19th, 2007, 19:46
Sorry...........none too clear................I thought it was perfectly clear. Unfortunately some of our members have failing eyesight or deficient speed-reading skills, spot two unassociated words and press the reply button before their brains have moved into gear (stand by for my stalker to reply)

Smiles
April 19th, 2007, 20:07
" ... Sorry...........none too clear................yes want info on Lao citizen applying for a Canadian visa....anyone with any direct experience helping such an applicant ?.........also there is not a Canadian Embassy in Vientiane ... "
It doesn't matter what country the person is from ... the rules for getting a visa into Canada are the same for all ~ read 'em here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/visit/

I'm surprised no Canadian Embassy in Laos, but normally in that case the British Embassy serves the purpose ... at least for information and paperwork.

Further to that . . . .

Just looked up the list of Canadian embassies abroard and found this blurb:
Canada's offices abroad include Embassies, Consulates, High Commissions and trade offices. Countries marked by an asterisk have no local representation and are covered by an office in a neighbouring country.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/world/emba ... enu-en.asp (http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/world/embassies/menu-en.asp)
As Laos is 'asterisked', it looks like the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok is your best bet to apply for the visa you want.

Cheers ...

April 20th, 2007, 10:12
DELETED