PDA

View Full Version : dated - thai air

April 14th, 2007, 01:30
A friend recently went to los on thai air. he remarked how dated he thought the aircraft were, & the main issue being no personal TV monitor in the back of the seat in front of you.

This is the London - BKK route. I know that SAS air, Air france & Eva, have had these personal monitors a while now.

Whats the deal with thai air, they must be the last of the companies to update their fleets with these. If this is the case, the only thing they have going for them is that they have 2 flight departures per day.

Anyone know when thai will be updating their fleet or installing personal monitors...................?

April 14th, 2007, 01:42
I also found that Thai air's seats were old and not very nice. I too went Lon - Bangkok.
If i go from london now i use Eva. I think Thai need to seriously look at the ageing fleet they use out of London.

April 14th, 2007, 03:02
Last time I paid for biz between Zurich and Bangkok on Thai, I felt robbed. They couldn't even supply headphones that worked. I know some folk who swear by them. Mystery to me. OTOH - they're better than Korean or Ryan.

April 14th, 2007, 06:56
Ryan is. of course, a budget airline so it's not really fair to compare with full service ones. Korean I had in mind as being a hidden gem of an airline with glowing reports on websites. I checked and they are still glowing on http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/korean.htm What is your beef?

Edit: Thank you Daisy for advice on my periods - now corrected.

April 14th, 2007, 07:14
Ryan is. of course, a budget airline so it's not really fair to compare with full service ones. Korean I had in mind as being a hidden gem of an airline with glowing reports on websites. I checked and they are still glowing on http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/korean.htm. What is you beef?

Wowpow, my dear, you need to take the period out at the end uf your link, it's not working the way that you have it now.

Like this ...

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/korean.htm

April 14th, 2007, 08:38
I flew first class on Thai's 747 plane from NRT to BKK in 2005. They have the worst and oldest first class I ever seen. Even in first class, there is no personal TV, they lend you a small portable DVD player (on request) with a few selection of DVDs. (I don't think this is available in coach class).
However the food (caviar, champagne etc) and service is great.

April 14th, 2007, 08:48
It all depends on which 747 series you get. Some of the newer ones have the lie flat seats in both first and business (Dynasty class). The Airbus 340-500 they fly from LA and NY is a very new, very nice plane with excellent service.

April 14th, 2007, 14:27
What is you beef?

I admit, it is years and years since I've flown on Korean, but that was because of the poor experience then. Yes. that was partly beef related, and they couldn't even be bothered to put some sort of decal on the bulkhead. Unrelieved magnolia is unforgivable.

Hidden gem? Strange behaviour for a commercial enterprise.

Both my experiences on RyanAir represented good value as they went to a place that is nowhere near the place it is advertised as serving but close to where I had an interest in being. Regrettably they've discontinued the service and the airfield has reverted to military use only.

Do tell us of your own experience on Korean, wowpow.

April 14th, 2007, 14:32
There may be some better TG planes, but I was specifically describing my experience on the flight from NRT to BKK. So, ladies and gentlemen, you should avoid this particular TG flight at all cost.

By the way, I didn't know about 'Dynasty class'? I thought Thai Airways' bussiness class is called "Royal Silk' class. China Airlines do have a 'Dynasty class' though.

April 14th, 2007, 16:45
yes i too prefer Eva air, but from my past experiences they do tend to have a habit of being delayed at times. Any one else feel the same about Eva?

Can you think of anymore airlines that are direct from london-bkk;

thai
eva
BA
Qauntas?

April 14th, 2007, 20:48
Funny the comments on EVA Air. I have just flown them for the first time, from Bangkok to Taipei to Los Angeles. Talk about dated planes! I will never, ever use them again. I was bumped up from business class to first on the Bangkok to Taipei leg. That was tolerable, but still about 15 years out of date. Business class from TPE to LAX was the worst I have ever experienced. The seat was pure torture. I can't imagine what economy deluxe and (shudder) economy must be like. Other than the seat, though, the service and food were quite good. All I care about, though, is a comfortable seat to sleep in.

Jetsam
April 14th, 2007, 21:11
yes i too prefer Eva air, but from my past experiences they do tend to have a habit of being delayed at times. Any one else feel the same about Eva?

thai
eva
BA
Qauntas?

I often see Qantas misspelled as Quantas but never saw this variation before , kudos for you :cheers:

April 14th, 2007, 21:16

thai
eva
BA
Qauntas?

If you don't mind a brief stop, the best options from Bangkok to London eare Etihad, Emirates, and Qatar -- by far. I'm talking about business and first classes -- no experience in economy, as I made sufficient merit in previous lives.

April 14th, 2007, 21:35
Try travelling Cunt class on Quntas and see how u like that

Up2U
April 14th, 2007, 23:18
Funny the comments on EVA Air. I have just flown them for the first time, from Bangkok to Taipei to Los Angeles. Talk about dated planes! I will never, ever use them again. I was bumped up from business class to first on the Bangkok to Taipei leg. That was tolerable, but still about 15 years out of date. Business class from TPE to LAX was the worst I have ever experienced. The seat was pure torture. I can't imagine what economy deluxe and (shudder) economy must be like. Other than the seat, though, the service and food were quite good. All I care about, though, is a comfortable seat to sleep in.

EVA usually flys the newer B777-300's on that route. You were probably on one of the older B747-400's which really isn't that old. You should fly Northwest or United if you like vintage aircraft. EVA has a relatively young fleet.

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/?fil ... %20Airways (http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/?file=calcop&opp=EVA%20Airways)

TrongpaiExpat
April 15th, 2007, 01:30

Shit, now you tell me, I just booked that route in Business class. It was one of the best buys. I though they use new 777's on that route? That's what my e-ticket says.

Jetsam
April 15th, 2007, 02:04
Shit, now you tell me, I just booked that route in Business class. It was one of the best buys. I though they use new 777's on that route? That's what my e-ticket says.

It depends , they use both

Flight No.- Frequency - Dep. Time - Arr. Time -Arr. Date - Stops - Class - Aircraft Type - Flight Hours
BR0002 1..4.6. 17:00 13:25 0 0 F C ED Y B747-4E 11.25
BR0012 .23.5.. 18:40 15:05 0 0 F C ED Y B747-400
BR0012 1..4.6. 18:40 15:05 0 0 C ED Y B777-300 11.25
BR0012 ......7 18:40 15:25 0 0 F C ED Y B747-400 11.45
BR0016 123456. 23:55 20:25 0 0 C ED Y B777-300 11.30
BR0016 ......7 23:55 20:45 0 0 C ED Y B777-300 11.50

April 15th, 2007, 07:10
I was on one of the 747-400's, and you definitely want to avoid them. I was in so much discomfort I had to pop a Xanax to put myself out of my misery.

April 15th, 2007, 08:31
Singapore airlines even have internet access now for economy passengers, albeit you have to pay for it. Great airline.