PDA

View Full Version : Don Muang, like going home again?

TrongpaiExpat
April 13th, 2007, 00:03
I just left on a domestic flight out of Don Muang, Dom Maung to some, and Don Mong to others.

No trouble getting there in a taxi. There were a lot of people in the Terminal but no problem getting around. There seems to be less vendors and nothing once you enter the gate area. I seem to remember a few coffee and snack vendors there before. Only two small bathrooms in the gate area are open and not very clean even though this old lady was pushin a urine soaked mop around.

The two restaurants are open with a limited menu and the smaller place across from the news vendor has only 6 small tables. The news vendor did not have either a Post or the Nation in stock but I could have bought a cheap looking plastic table clock at a 50% discount. The magazines were all months old.

Almost nothing on the first floor where Bangkok Air used to be located.

The place smelled musty. The carpet was tattered and worn. I don't remember the place looking this bad? Maybe a few packs of dogs moved in when they closed it.

Everything was fast and efficient. They are not using all the jet ways, many of the flights were bus gates. No wait at all on the taxi way, just a turn and take-off.

It felt good to be back home.

thanatorn-old
April 13th, 2007, 11:27
I must admit having gone through Don Muang so many times I do miss it. The new airport is great but a bit sterile and the business/ first class lounge does not seem as exclusive as it was at Don Muang. I hope they get it together a bit and not just use it as a transit point to be hurried through as quick as possible as it still reflects on a visitor's impressions about the country. I also always enjoyed the trip from Don Muang into BKK and felt like I was coming home - have yet to feel that way about the new airport.

HawaiiBoy
April 13th, 2007, 14:52
I was booking Bangkok to ChaigMai the other day on line and discovered I could not book from Don Muang. Only new BKK flights were listed, which rather limited the options. I'm hoping they get that updated soon.

:idea:

April 13th, 2007, 16:19
I
The place smelled musty. The carpet was tattered and worn.

If musty places with worn and tattered carpets remind you of home, please don't ask me over for tea and stickies.

April 13th, 2007, 18:08
The place smelled musty. The carpet was tattered and worn.

So in other words nothing has changed much then? :iconbiggrin:

G.

TrongpaiExpat
April 15th, 2007, 20:10
Here is my report on my arrival at Don Muang: I noticed that there is only one ATM on the baggage claim level, ground floor, and it's a small make-shift portable, it was not working. There are two other on the departure floor. All the money exchange windows are closed and what ever else was in all those window shops that lined the wall on the ground floor, closed. The luggage storage place is closed.

The hotel shuttle bus is gone but there is a shuttle bus to the MRT every 30 Min. I don't know the cost.

There is now a coffee shop on the ground floor, near were Bangkok Air used to be. That was not there 3 days ago.

The baggage claim was very fast.

There are plenty of taxis at the stand and on the street (near the bus stop) and no waiting.

So, it's not a pretty place, going or coming but it's efficient.