PDA

View Full Version : swiss man free from insulting the king

bedbugy1-old
April 12th, 2007, 12:37
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 642674.ece (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article1642674.ece)

so much for ten years

April 12th, 2007, 12:45
As HM has said tht lese majeste is a foolishness and that of course he can make mistakes, it is not surprising that he has pardoned this guy. Odd that the news has not reached the Thai newspapers yet? :)

BBC World TV says that he is to be deported.

elephantspike
April 12th, 2007, 12:59
Not only that, but we called it last week:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 11156.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/how-do-you-think-the-lese-majesty-case-will-end-up-t11156.html)

April 12th, 2007, 13:51
Not only that, but we called it last week:

All of us except Cedric, you mean.

Sen Yai
April 12th, 2007, 13:57
Odd that the news has not reached the Thai newspapers yet? :)

Bangkok Post (http://www.bangkokpost.net/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=118041)

King pardons Swiss man of lese majeste

Chiang Mai (Agencies) - His Majesty the King has pardoned the Swiss man convicted last month of lese majeste for spray-painting portraits on the monarch.

"His Majesty in his kindness has granted him a pardon and he has been transferred from prison and is in the process of being deported from the country," said Chiang Mai Pol Col Prachuab Wongsuk.

Oliver Rudolf Jufer, 57, was convicted last month of lese majeste and sentenced to 10 years in prison.

A resident of Thailand, Jufer painted over the posters last year, supposedly while he was drunk.

April 12th, 2007, 14:05
Bangkok Post managed to get the new up by 12.36 p.m. today which was after I checked to see if there was anything there. Maybe they were having editorial conferences to decide whether or not to release the news?

April 12th, 2007, 14:07
Bangkok Post managed to get the new up by 12.36 p.m. today which was after I checked to see if there was anything there. Maybe they were having editorial conferences to decide whether or not to release the news?

Why wouldn't they release the news, you silly old twat?

April 12th, 2007, 15:52
Close thing that? I did say BG that a year would be a long time???

April 12th, 2007, 16:21
Close thing that? I did say BG that a year would be a long time???

Cedric you revisionist, lying sack of shit! You replied "Bwahahaha" when when Brad the Impala stated that the guy would be pardoned by the King. Then, when I agreed with Brad and pointed out that the King had been quoted as saying he would pardon anyone convicted on lese majeste charges, you replied

"The king I believe, according to Paul Handley at least, American author of the less than trustworthy book the King and I.

Its one thing to criticise the King its another to go around deliberately to more than one image of him and deface his and the queens image, this is striking at the very heart of Thai society and is not only an insult to the King but to the entire kingdom of Thailand. His sentence was technically reduced from 75 Years, though that was a far more fitting sentence under the circumstances. I imagine he will actually get all ten years of the reduced sentence."

Is it so hard to admit you were wrong?

April 12th, 2007, 16:44
No, I was just winding you up. :love3: Go easy on the sack of....will you?

April 12th, 2007, 22:51
It is my understanding that 50% of the post is owned by u know who and everything has to get through the "boss" and that is the reason they always seem behind on everything.

TrongpaiExpat
April 12th, 2007, 23:18
Is it so hard to admit you were wrong?

"Of course I am going to misspeak and I've done it on numerous
occasions and I probably will do it in the future"

"I regret that when I divert attention to something I said from my message, but you know, that's just life"

"I'm happy, frankly, with the way I operate, otherwise it would be a lot less fun."

John McCain

Smiles
April 12th, 2007, 23:28
Actually, I think I called it ~ as dear Brad put it ~ "spot on":

I wonder if there is not a typical Thai back way/political way of getting things accomplished here . . . mostly to do with saving face, or increasing face and gaining merit.

The gentleman has pleaded guilty ... thus gets the time, though 10 years instead of 75: the judge saves face by not having having to preside over (and horrors, possibly acquit ... loosing HUGE face) a case wherein the crime was committed against the King. He gains face by successfully 'defending' the King's face & honour.
At the same time the judge gains on-the-side merit by grabbing the opportunity to show mercy by reducing the sentence to 10 years. He also gains face by not appearing weak . . . i.e. by reducing the sentence down too far, or, (VERY weak), by granting no jail time at all.

The king ~ after a reasonable amount of time ~ gains HUGE amounts of face and merit in the eyes of his people by granting a full pardon (and probably expulsion).
By doing this he just adds to his already formidable ~ and popular ~ stature of being beneficently above the law ~ thus helping the Judge out by letting him save face by not seeming to 'ignore' the Judge's specifically legal ruling ~ and thus having the very laudable power and ability to show ultimate mercy . . . and demonstrating concretely that he means what he has said recently regarding the downside of the medieval concept of 'Lese Majesty' (therefore at the same time being seen as a "modern" King).

Winners? The King, the judge (and the Thai legal system), and ~ as an afterthought ~ the defendant ...
... off to soke my swelled head in cold water. In humbility.

Cheers ...

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 13th, 2007, 00:01
everyone knew he would be pardoned ( but not quite so quickly).

It's a win win situation for all-the point is made about not insulting, and the man gets off lightly in the end.

Anyone else who would be silly enough to tempt fate and go through what he did, which I doubt will be a never forgotten experience--would have to be quite mad.

April 13th, 2007, 00:31
... off to soke my swelled head in cold water. In humbility.

Cheers ...

In humility, surely.

Don't soak too long, Smiles; it's too small as it is.

April 13th, 2007, 07:39
"It's a win win situation for all-the point is made about not insulting, and the man gets off lightly in the end." lunch

Did you realize that the guy is married to a Thai woman and has lived in Thailand for ten years and is now deported?

I would also mention how wonderfully graffiti free Thailand is and when one sees some very occasionally it is always in English!

April 13th, 2007, 07:46
I would also mention how wonderfully graffiti free Thailand is and when one sees some very occasionally it is always in English!

Bullshit.

bedbugy1-old
April 13th, 2007, 08:32
don't you mean buffalo shit

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 13th, 2007, 10:10
I didn't actually notice that fact Wowpow..and it's unfortunate for the man and his family.

However getting back into Thailand isn't as difficult as it seems even if you are deported.

He may only be barred for a certain time but this obviously is to send a message and I normally would not agree with such strict rules but have to in this case..any deviation from the law would just open the floodgates for endless attacks.

There are far greater problems that need taking care of and the Royal Family is an institution that binds the country together no matter what happens with changes of government.

Who wants the chaos of the British Royal Family ?..at least we are spared the diatribes from a Fleet Street style media.

April 13th, 2007, 13:35

Bullshit.

I agree its always in pidgin English, the colourful language used by Americans.

April 13th, 2007, 16:23
I agree its always in pidgin English, the colourful language used by Americans.

...like lmtu and bbb? Perhaps we should compare the grammar and spelling of American posters to those of other, supposedly native-English-speaking users of this board?

April 13th, 2007, 19:58

Bullshit.

Bullshit? Well that is one thing that Thailand is definitely not wonderfully free of! :laughing4: On reflection, in my short time as a member here, another thing also for certain is, neither is this forum. http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1452/5958747/14491765/245461411.jpg

Sa wat dee bpee mai everyone, I hope you all have a wonderful Songkran and remember to take along your plastic bags when venturing out into your respective wet and wild thaang http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1452/5958747/14491765/217383687.jpg

G.

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 13th, 2007, 22:10
"Bullshit? Well that is one thing that Thailand is definitely not wonderfully free of!"

it's one thing Sawatdee is definitely not free of ! :cheers:

April 14th, 2007, 02:57
Maybe it was all an elaborate plot to get his lady wife asylum in the Alps. When I landed in Zurich earlier in the week, the Zurich police were pulling aside the fit young Thai males for special questioning in the gate walkway as we disembarked. Can't think why.

Brad the Impala
April 14th, 2007, 04:16
Maybe it was all an elaborate plot to get his lady wife asylum in the Alps. When I landed in Zurich earlier in the week, the Zurich police were pulling aside the fit young Thai males for special questioning in the gate walkway as we disembarked. Can't think why.

They fancied them??

April 14th, 2007, 14:51
They fancied them??

Some were seriously fanciable.

April 17th, 2007, 23:30
Thai payback maybe???

Were the police at Zurich checking for long pointed objects like ....felt tip pens,cans of spray paint hidden in their underwear. Just a thought! :idea:

April 18th, 2007, 01:46
I didn't notice any defaced pictures of Swiss royalty.