PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card and ATM charges

April 12th, 2007, 07:27
Good reference webpage for Credit Card/ATM charges when used overseas (US cards). It appears Capitol One is the only Major card with no "Foreign Currency Conversion " fees (I verified this at CapitolOnes webpage). And ATM cards that charge no fees tend to be from Internet based banks.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Cr ... n_Exchange (http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange)

I realize I have been getting screwed by Washington Mutual especially on ATM charges, so I'm going to get a Capitol One card to use solely when overseas and open an internet bank account/ATM and deposit just enough to cover my estimated expenditures for each trip.

April 12th, 2007, 08:21
I realize I have been getting screwed by Washington Mutual especially on ATM charges,

One of my brokers refunds all ATM fees, intl and domestic. They usually don't add up to much (percentage wise) but they can be a shock - they often are the addt'l added up to an even $10, internationally. Still ATMs are better deal than most other way I know of, like traveller's checks and so on. But what I'm note sure about is bank transfers, are they better than other methods of transferring funds internationally?

April 12th, 2007, 18:03
For all those out from the UK, Nationwide Credit and Debit cards dont charge for any foriegn ATM withdrawls.
This is one of the only UK banks ? Building soc. that dont charge in the UK.
Thou i still like most of my money in Traverlers Cheques, with my Debit Card as a back up, as i dont use Credit Cards.

April 12th, 2007, 20:46
... this subject arises quite frequently ...

but a good idea to reiterate the Nationwide way, and of course, the Travellers Cheques, which is what I use also, but be careful using TCs, sometimes they say they are free purchase, but then charge you for posting them, which is minimal, but defeats the objective of getting free TCs - some companies, the majority actually, actually charge 1-2% fee for TCs on top. A lot of banks with whom you bank with give them away free of commission charge.

Nationwide are free, but charge you a postal charge
Lloyds are free if you are an account holder and you can collect from a local branch
Natwest are free if you are a premium account holder

An example of a few of them.

April 13th, 2007, 01:01
Yes WhiteDesire, I was aware the subject had been covered before, but the link I provided was new, and the best summary of the situation I have seen. I thought it might be worthwhile to the board members. One is always free to not read postings they feel are not relevant to them.

April 13th, 2007, 04:57
... like a lot of these reports, it was quite detailed and I found not much use at all, no typical examples were given, percentage charges were given, and you could see which ones were high. There was a lot of detailed information which some people would find hard to take in. However, if I give bad feedback to an article, I will try to give an alternative and that is articles should give detailed examples, in this case, a couple of typical transactions would have been helpful, otherwise all the blurb is no use nor ornament.

April 13th, 2007, 07:00
The last time I saw this discussion I looked at the linked web site for banks that have a 0% fee. I opened a BOI account and figure it will save me over $1,500 US dollars as compared to BofA and Washigton Mutual