PDA

View Full Version : British diplomat to bore us to death

April 10th, 2007, 16:26
Chief of British Embassy's political Division blogging

After about four years in Thailand, Ian Proud, head of the British Embassy's political division, has come to love so many things in this country.

(Imagine a suave young diplomat who would kill to have a chance to taste the best namprik platu in town and who talks passionately about starting a franchise of muyong+namprik phao pancake!!).

He knows about many Thai temples more than many Thais and has travelled extensively in this country. One of the first things he did upon arrival in the Land of Smiles was to risk his life by taking part in the Songkran "War" riding on the back of a pick-up truck. He's a staunch soccer fan, is kind hearted and has done many things in his both personal and official capacities for underpriviledged Thai children.

He's about to complete his tenure here, but good news is he is now ready to talk about all the Thai experiences with British perspective and humour. He will do so as our honorary blogger. A busy and hard-working man, he promises regular updates. Visit his blog here and you may want to recommend this nice man a good place to eat Thai foods or two. The nation

Sounds like your regular tourist wally on vacation despit an enthuisiasm for namprik?

And a speedy reply to his first YAWN blog:

I am a Brit and I can truly say that I am ashamed of the way Embassy staff treat Thai citizens. I know IP is not in the visa section, but no doubt they are all tarred with the same brush. In the visa section the Brits hide behind Thai staff who are put out front to take all the flack for 10,000 Baht a month that they know will come, whilst the Brits are drinking coffee and reading newspapers on a fat salary with hardship posting allowances. Thailand does not need people like IP, he is only sucking up to the Thai's in order to line his own pockets in the future. Do us all a favour IP, go home before you make us all puke! The Nation seems to think it has made some wonderful catch in having you blog - I say the quality of the blogsite has deteriorated at the speed of light.

Doesn't this sound all too familiar?

April 10th, 2007, 16:55
Doesn't this sound all too familiar?

Very. It's the old, familiar "why do the embassy staff treat my whore bf/gf like a whore?"

April 10th, 2007, 17:32
one. Oh all right, I was thinking more along the lines of "so what if I have three different passports Mrs Chan, I am a British national and thats all that counts, now can I speak to another tossing British national at least?" They sit behind cups of tea writing boring bloggs or doing the cross word puzzle, while the customers give the "local" counter staff short shrift all day.

April 10th, 2007, 18:39
What is it the Brits did to you, Ceddy, dear? Were you bullied in KGV? Did they run away from Hongkers to leave you fending for your iddy biddy self. Was your granpa put in a Concentration Camp on the veldt? Do tell. Your bigotry towards the British is really a bit overdone. Get over it; they've gone, you have the officers of Gascoigne Road all to yourself.

April 10th, 2007, 19:24
extract

"Highs and lows too with this magical country, Thailand. So many things have happened during my four years here. The unforgettable celebrations last year for His Majesty the King's Diamond Jubilee. My travel in so many corners of this beautiful land, meeting some of the nicest people I ever met.

There have been lows too; SARS, bird flu, tsunami, northern floods, political turmoil and bombings. Every country has its highs and lows. But throughout my time in Thailand the strength of the Thai people has always shone through. The ability to bounce back from circumstance with a smile and a desire to good deeds for those in need. Perhaps a mix of Buddhism and the strength derived from a loving King.

As the saying goes, no one remembers their last headache. As the new dawn sun washes over Bangkok each day, I watch Thais go about their business with modesty and calm, paying respect to gods and spirits along the way, smiling.

Whatever highs and lows there are in my life, I too am infected with feelings of joy from being here in Thailand. And when my posting to the Embassy ends next month, I don't think I can bear to leave"

well he can't be all bad Cedric

April 10th, 2007, 19:30
... the sort of stuff for which Private Eye instituted the Order of the Brown Nose (OBN)

April 11th, 2007, 08:13
... the sort of stuff for which Private Eye instituted the Order of the Brown Nose (OBN)

No kidding! It is also just so facking dull, like some diluted Christmas crap the queen squirts at the nation between her high pitched trembling buttocks once a year. Royalty is central of course, I am just wondering where this so called British humour is meant to be, stuffed up his loose back pussy, because I never got more than an insulting snigger out of my lips? He reminds me of another wannabe civil servant, only this one gets to queen it up over all Hong Kong not just scribbling silly little bloggs behind cups of weak tea.

Northerntart .......... I can't stand cricket (honestly), don't take it personally, the "English" are a backward little nation full of ripe readiness for ridicule, who is to blame? A failed empire? Genetics? Who knows.

Aunty
April 11th, 2007, 09:03
Perhaps they should just go away and have a jolly good cry like their armed servicemen do?

Oh yes it's all a little bit boys own Ra Ra isn't it that blog? But quite frankly, I really couldn't give a shit. Perhaps he's cunt-struck?

April 11th, 2007, 10:08
What an amazingly vicious avalanche of invective when the guy has hardly started. A prime example of prejudice. It's like reviewing a book after having read only the prologue.

Reading the Blog is optional not mandatory. Like a book or author that you don't like don't read.

I have no axe to grind and will read and evaluate. I suggest that others do the same.

April 11th, 2007, 11:50
Northerntart .......... I can't stand cricket (honestly), don't take it personally, the "English" are a backward little nation full of ripe readiness for ridicule, who is to blame? A failed empire? Genetics? Who knows.

Well, your loss Ceddy old bean. I live amongst the English and find them tolerant, affable, egalitarian, and likable. Is it true you are a Boer or just a boor.

April 11th, 2007, 15:53
A Boer? As in one of the Boer wars? If so, sadly not, my ancestors would have unfortunately most definitely been on the wrong side, though unlike you I don't still hold a grudge against the Boers . I did live in the Netherlands for 5years or so, does this count?

April 11th, 2007, 17:59
I am just wondering where this so called British humour is meant to beWhere do we send the Sympathy cards?

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 12th, 2007, 11:22
many times I have presented my passport and pointed the section where Her Majesty requests that I be given full consideration and pass freely !!

it usually means they search my bags even harder !

April 12th, 2007, 11:48
Royalty is central of courseMuch as I hate to speak badly of my soon-to-be-hosts, they are just a couple of arriviste Germans, you know, not English at all

cottmann
April 12th, 2007, 13:12
.. I can't stand cricket (honestly), don't take it personally, the "English" are a backward little nation full of ripe readiness for ridicule, who is to blame? A failed empire? Genetics? Who knows.

There is a certain delicious irony in this anti-English outpouring from "Cedric." The name, of course, is quintessentially English in that it was coined, perhaps accidentally, by Sir Walter Scott in his novel "Ivanhoe." It is widely believed he actually meant "Cerdic," the first king of the West Saxons. The name's other literary appearance was as the first name of Little Lord Fauntleroy, "a graceful, childish figure in a black velvet suit, with a lace collar, and with lovelocks waving about the handsome, manly little face, whose eyes met his with a look of innocent good-fellowship."

April 12th, 2007, 13:30
British diplomatтАЩs Bangkok blog prompts readers to expose his trips to red-light areas
By Associated Press
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - Updated: 01:43 PM EST

BANGKOK, Thailand - A British envoy in Thailand has learned that writing a blog can open the door to some very undiplomatic exchanges - on delicate subjects such as his trips to BangkokтАЩs famed red-light districts.
The trouble started after Ian Proud, who heads the British EmbassyтАЩs political division, accepted an offer to become an honorary blogger this week on the Web site of The Nation, an English-language newspaper in Thailand.
The idea was proposed to him by the newspaperтАЩs editor, Tulsathit Tuptim, a personal friend who envisioned the blog as a forum in which Proud could discuss his тАЭThai experiences with British perspective and humorтАЭ before ending his four-year tenure in Bangkok next month, according to the blogтАЩs introductory message.

Click Me!

What ensued could better be described as a case of a blog gone wild. ProudтАЩs picture appeared with the blog, prompting several Web surfers to post comments saying they had seen him around town, particularly at BangkokтАЩs red-light districts.
As of midday Wednesday, the blog had attracted more than 3,000 viewers and about 100 postings since its start two days earlier.
тАЭI recall going to the embassy once and that same night I was down on Cowboy and who did I bump into? Yes, it was Ian,тАЭ wrote Edwardio Shanks, referring to notorious Soi Cowboy - Cowboy Street - which is packed with go-go bars and Western men on the prowl.
Simon Peltier wrote, тАЭI saw him walking arm-in-arm with a girl that could only be described as тАЩ2 dollar whore.тАЩ I bet that girl got a visa no problem.тАЭ
Other postings claimed to be authored by the diplomat, but werenтАЩt, Proud said in a telephone interview Wednesday, noting one in particular that said: тАЭYes, I did go with prostitutes during my tenure here with the Briyish Embassy, but that does not make me a bad person.тАЭ
тАЭMy syntax is a lot better than that for a start,тАЭ Proud said, not denying familiarity with the red-light districts but insisting he did not patronize them on тАЭa regular basis.тАЭ
тАЭIтАЩm not going to complain that IтАЩve never been there. But at the same time, the suggestion that IтАЩm some sort of upholder of the sex trade in Bangkok ...тАЭ he trailed off. тАЭItтАЩs pathetic, frankly.тАЭ
Postings were not exclusively about ProudтАЩs wanderings through BangkokтАЩs nightlife. Some readers complained about the consular officeтАЩs visa section and hurled criticism at British diplomats in general, while others wished Proud well in his future endeavors or urged him to stop blogging to save his pride.
Proud had introduced himself on his blog as someone new to the blogging scene who hoped to share thoughts on his love for the country that had become home for the last four years.
тАЭWhen my posting to the embassy ends next month, I donтАЩt think I can bear to leave; this country is my home now,тАЭ he wrote in his introductory note, suggesting he had perhaps found his true calling and would stay in Thailand to become a тАЭprofessional web-blogger.тАЭ

Aunty
April 12th, 2007, 16:02
I was right all along. He was cunt struck! :cheers:

April 12th, 2007, 16:03
Just to add fuel to the fire our sleazy old boring pervert hits back guns blazing with his second most exciting and British filled humorous entry to his infamous blogg.

English people love dogs!

Scratch the Dog

Scratch, scratch. 'SCRATCH! Are you under there boy?'

From under a raised cage I can hear a scratching noise, scratch, scratch; claws on concrete. Out scrabbles the most pitiful looking wretch of a dog. Skinny as a rack of dried bones shrink wrapped in greasy black leather. No fur. Eyes caked with infection. Weals on bony joints, angry pink flesh peeping through. But he is smiling at me and wagging his whip of a tail. Friendly and loving. Licks my hand, wants me to pet him and I do, gingerly.

I am in Bang Phli. Must be around 36 degrees outside, hot. In a small but neatly formed set of shelters amongst a host of happy looking, yapping dogs of varying degrees of cuteness and health. Angela Boner, the English medical director for the Charity, Soi Dog Rescue, explains that Scratch was found by the side of the road. He can be no more than 6 months old. Looks more like 60 years to me. Just didn't have anyone to care for him. Because of his skin infection, the volunteers named him Scratch. Scratch the dog. And what a lovely dog he is too. If you met him you would agree.

This small but caring charity needs all the help it can get. Because it is entirely voluntary you see? People like Angela don't get paid. They are paid in love by the dogs. But Scratch and his many friends, well they need food and medicine for a start. There are so many good charities in Thailand, I know. But if you are a dog lover like me, then why not take a moment look on the web-site (www.soidogrescue.org (http://www.soidogrescue.org)) or maybe visit their charity shop at the Lakes Building, Ratchada (near Asoke).

So many people read a newspaper article about Scratch recently that they sent in donations to Soi Dogs to help. Since his media appearance I am sure Scratch will do just fine. His fur is starting to grow back and he is a celebrity now, after all. Scratch is going on to the Soi Dog adoption program and it wouldn't surprise me if Paris Hilton adopts him and carries him round in her bag. She'll need a bigger bag though. Scratch might get a bit too lofty now to let me be his agent. But I do intend to keep in touch with him and I will report back to you from time to time with his progress.

Scratch will be another success story for the Soi Dog rescuers. There will be more dogs like Scratch without doubt and the work of Angela and the whole team will continue. But you will never hear them complain about it. Ian proud The Nation

Lets hope he can circumvent the quarantine laws when he has to sadly go home soon, maybe he can stuff it in the diplomatic bag.

April 12th, 2007, 17:11
This is even being reported in the British press:

Diplomat sees red over blog smears

By Sebastien Berger, Daily Telegraph South East Asia Correspondent

A British diplomat has discovered one of the perils of writing a blog after his contribution to the website of a Thai newspaper attracted a series of unflattering responses.

Ian Proud, first secretary and head of the political section at the British embassy, is due to leave Bangkok soon and was invited to share his departing impressions on the website of The Nation. In generous remarks, he described Thailand as a "magical country" and the Thais as "some of the nicest people I ever met".
He went on: "Throughout my time in Thailand the strength of the Thai people has always shone through. The ability to bounce back from circumstance with a smile and a desire to do good deeds for those in need. Perhaps a mix of Buddhism and the strength derived from a loving king." He also praised the singing abilities of members of the military junta, the Council for National Security.

But almost as soon as his fulsome tributes to the "Land of Smiles" appeared, brickbats and allegations from readers followed, some apparently from disgruntled Britons and focused on the country's seedier side. One "poster", giving his name as Edwardio Shanks, wrote: "I recall going to the embassy once and that same night I was down on Cowboy and who did I bump into? Yes, it was Ian," referring to a renowned red light area in the city.

Mr Proud said last night: "It's all rubbish really, lies about me. I'm pretty crushed to be honest."

Mr Proud, who has a Thai girlfriend, Lek, and is from Box Hill in Surrey, pointed out he had only been to Bangkok's red light districts twice in the past year, on both occasions to show them to visitors.

April 12th, 2007, 18:22
Chief of British Embassy's political Division blogging:
'Visit his blog here and you may want to recommend this nice man a good place to eat Thai foods or two.'
The Nation

I seldom recommend restaurants but I think I'll make an exception and tell him to try the food court between Silom & Suriwong.
I don't know the name of the place but Num told me, "Mee Noo same-same si' Maow!" (Roughly) translates, 'Rats as big as cats!' I always like one to feel at home.

April 12th, 2007, 21:42
Scratch the dog
Scratch, scratch. 'SCRATCH! Are you under there boy?Ian Proud The Nation

Has he taken to giving his little pubic friends nick names. Or is it the family jewel he has lost?

April 13th, 2007, 10:33
Could Cedric have been more wrong?

The Scotsman
Our man in Bangkok upsets Thais and expats in 'patronising' weblog
ANDREW DRUMMOND IN BANGKOK

THE Scottish deputy head of Britain's mission in Bangkok has given up his internet blog after three days of insults on the internet, mainly from angry Britons in Thailand. Ian Proud, also the head of the political department of the British Embassy, had started a weblog in Bangkok's English language newspaper, the Nation, edited by a personal friend.

But last night, after a day in which rude comments had continually to be deleted by the web host, Mr Proud called it a day and his existing blogs, which had been described variously as 'patronising', 'naive', 'a load of bull' and 'disingenuous piffle', were removed from the newspaper's website. What started off as a public relations exercise for an embassy, whose members have already been criticised as "unhelpful" and "arrogant" in an independent report by the National Audit Bureau, turned out to be a public relations disaster.

Mr Proud had also been accused of visiting Cowboy One, one of Bangkok's red-light areas, a fact which he admitted, but only to show visiting friends. Mr Proud clearly was taken aback by the reaction to his blog. He said initially: "I couldn't write about my work. So it was harmless, cute little stories about Thailand. But the response has been quite remarkable." In his first blog, heading with a picture of him playing football against Thai government officials, he told of how he arrived in Thailand four years ago and was treated to a welcoming dinner party by the then ambassador, Barney Smith. He talked about the highs and lows.

In his second blog, he praises the singing skills of one of the generals in last year's military coup, General Winai Phattiyakul, the secretary-general of the Council for National Security, favourably against Tony Blair.

In his third entry, he lectures to foreigners that the Thai smile is genuine and not fake.

And in his fourth, he appeals to the public to donate to a dog looked after by an animal charity.

Then came the barrage of replies, almost all negative. The British Embassy has perhaps more than its fair share of enemies in Bangkok, mainly from Britons who have failed to obtain visas for their Thai wives or girlfriends. But even by respectable businessmen they have been described as "remote". Until reconstruction began at the embassy, many lived within the grounds with their own maids, tennis court and social club.

Last year, the National Audit Office published a scathing report on the behaviour of British Embassy officials after the tsunami of 2004. They were criticised for being unhelpful, insensitive and selfish. One survivor described their behaviour as like "a vicar's tea party in a crisis". Another reported: "They never offered to help. They just carried on drinking while waiting for their minibus. When it arrived they didn't offer anyone else a lift to a safe area; they just left. "Their conduct was disgraceful and made me ashamed to be British. I've never seen such a selfish and self-interested display." A third said: "The British Embassy in Bangkok made promises of assistance that were never delivered... Words cannot describe how disappointing and useless staff in Bangkok, and later in Phuket, were."
And a fourth: "They didn't have a clue. They had no emotional connection, no attempt to say 'Are you OK?' Actually, you are crying your eyes out; you are covered head to toe in mud and dirt."

Mr Proud staunchly defended the actions of himself and his colleagues during the tsunami, but if appears few are willing to listen.

Related topic

Thailand
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1503

My news reporting services have copies of articles on Mr Proud's Blog from around the world. Short lived yes, boring not.

April 13th, 2007, 11:09
This has all certainly made it to the front pages of the Guardian. It appears that having posted a picture was his mistake, admitting the whole affair as well to his Thai girlfriend. I think it will all be taking numerous exciting twists in the days to come.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international ... 91,00.html (http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2054991,00.html)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international ... e_continue (http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2054614,00.html#article_continue)

Blog response surprises diplomat

Ian MacKinnon in Bangkok
Thursday April 12, 2007
The Guardian

A British diplomat has discovered to his cost the hidden perils of the blogosphere.

The head of the British embassy's political section in Bangkok thought nothing of jotting a few musings for a newspaper website as he approaches the end of his posting. But Ian Proud's innocuous blog has sparked a blizzard of comments on all manner of topics, including his forays into Bangkok's infamous red light districts.

Yesterday a rueful Mr Proud, 38, was wondering what the Foreign Office would make of it all. "It's a real eye-opener seeing the depths of people's feelings about a common diplomat," said Mr Proud. "I couldn't write about my work. So it was harmless, cute little stories about Thailand. But the response has been quite remarkable."

One mistake may have been posting a picture alongside his blog on the Nation newspaper website. A number of readers said they recognised Mr Proud from Bangkok's notorious Cowboy Street sex bars.

"I recall going to the embassy once and that same night was down on Cowboy and who did I bump into? Yes, it was Ian," wrote one. Another observed: "I saw him walking arm-in-arm with a girl that could only be described as 'two-dollar whore'. I bet that girl got a visa no problem."

Visas and the refusal of requests are clearly a bugbear for those who posted comments, even though they are not Mr Proud's responsibility. Mr Proud does not deny being out on the town during his four-year stint, but adds: "I don't think there are many people here that haven't been in places like Soi Cowboy at some point. My last visit was about a year ago."

The Nation's editor, Tulsathit Taptim, is discussing with Mr Proud whether to continue the blog. "Ian loves to get the reaction and he found it really fun over the first two days."

Whether the Foreign Office will be similarly amused is another thing: Mr Proud did not anticipate the controversy so did not seek clearance.

Next month he will take a career break and marry Lek, his Thai girlfriend, "if she'll still have me after all this."

Useful links
Bangkok Post
The Nation
Thai parliament

Diplomat discovers seamy underbelly of blogging in Bangkok
Guardian Unlimited, Wednesday April 11 2007
Ian MacKinnon in Bangkok

Diplomat discovers seamy underbelly of blogging in Bangkok

Ian MacKinnon in Bangkok
Wednesday April 11, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

This photograph of Ian Proud prompted readers of his blog to recognise him

A British diplomat has discovered to his cost the hidden perils lurking in the uncharted waters of the blogosphere.

The head of the British embassy's political section in Bangkok thought nothing of jotting a few inoffensive musings for a newspaper website as he approaches the end of his posting.

But Ian Proud's innocuous blog, in four postings over three days, has sparked a blizzard of comments on all manner of topics, including his forays into Bangkok's infamous red-light districts.

Today, a rueful Mr Proud, 38, was wondering what his bosses at the Foreign Office in London would make of it all.

"It's a real eye-opener seeing the depths of people's feelings about a common diplomat," said Mr Proud. "I couldn't write about my work. So it was harmless, cute little stories about Thailand. But the response has been quite remarkable."

One mistake may have been agreeing to the posting of a picture alongside his blog on the Nation newspaper website. The photograph prompted a number of readers to recognise Mr Proud as being someone they had seen in the vicinity of Bangkok's notorious Cowboy Street sex bars.

"I recall going to the embassy once and that same night was down on Cowboy and who did I bump into? Yes, it was Ian," wrote Edwardio Shanks.

Another reader, Simon Peltier observed: "I saw him walking arm-in-arm with a girl that could only be described as '2 dollar whore'. I bet that girl got a visa no problem."

Visas and the refusal of requests are clearly a bugbear for those who posted comments, even though they are not Mr Proud's responsibility. But the behaviour of Bangkok's diplomats also touches a nerve.

"I know a couple of guys at the Aussie embassy and they are no different from the US embassy or the British embassy," writes Sport. "Come Friday 3pm and it's down to Soi [Street] Cowboy, getting pissed and doing as many disgusting things as possible with the pole dancers."

The British diplomat replied to some of his one hundred correspondents to set them straight. Yet he does not deny being out on the town during his four-year stint.

"I don't think there are many people here that haven't been in places like Soi Cowboy at some point," he told the Guardian today. "But I'm not down there every Friday at 3pm. My last visit was about a year ago. I'm happily settled with a girl so I've no need or desire to go there."

The Nation's editor, Tulsathit Taptim, a friend who dreamed up the enterprise, is discussing with Mr Proud whether to continue.

"Ian loves to blog," said Mr Tulsathit. "He loves to get the reaction and he found it really fun over the first two days. That's why he left many of the controversial responses on the site."

Whether the Foreign Office will be similarly amused is another thing. Mr Proud believed his writings would be so uncontroversial that he never bothered to get clearance.

Luckily, when his posting ends next month he will take a career break and remain in Bangkok. He plans to marry Lek, his Thai girlfriend who gets an honourable mention in the blog, "if she'll still have me after all this".

April 13th, 2007, 13:21
Could Cedric have been more wrong?

About what?

What a pity, the games were just beginning, the snivelling cowardly wretch. Never mind his dull attempt at a blogg have opened a can of worms long overdue. I am wondering here if Mr Blairs experiment with meritocracy has had some truly nauseating and well concealed little side effects. Selling off to the highest bidder half of the land that the Thai Monarchy graciously lent them instead of building a park for the people of Bangkok was just the tip of the ice-berg.

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 13th, 2007, 13:40
from the Foreign Office !!!

""I don't think there are many people here that haven't been in places like Soi Cowboy at some point. My last visit was about a year ago." "

SEX TOURIST ALERT !!!!! :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani:

April 13th, 2007, 13:42
Never mind his dull attempt at a blogg

I 'phoned my MP last night to demand that he ask a question in the House as to why there is no legislation criminalizing dull blogs. I explained that it was causing distress to Cedric. He said he'd consider an early day motion but I don't think he meant in the Parliamentary sense

April 13th, 2007, 14:13
I 'phoned my MP last night to demand that he ask a question in the House as to why there is no legislation criminalizing dull blogs.

Maybe you could find a few more questions that actualy meant anything to anybody.

National Audit Office published a scathing report on the behaviour of British Embassy officials after the tsunami of 2004. They were criticised for being unhelpful, insensitive and selfish. One survivor described their behaviour as like "a vicar's tea party in a crisis". Another reported: "They never offered to help. They just carried on drinking while waiting for their minibus. When it arrived they didn't offer anyone else a lift to a safe area; they just left. "Their conduct was disgraceful and made me ashamed to be British. I've never seen such a selfish and self-interested display." A third said: "The British Embassy in Bangkok made promises of assistance that were never delivered... Words cannot describe how disappointing and useless staff in Bangkok, and later in Phuket, were."
And a fourth: "They didn't have a clue. They had no emotional connection, no attempt to say 'Are you OK?' Actually, you are crying your eyes out; you are covered head to toe in mud and dirt."

Mr Proud staunchly defended the actions of himself and his colleagues during the tsunami, of course no one was listening

April 13th, 2007, 16:36
Diplomat's blog withdrawn after red light visits

(BangkokPost.com from Agencies) - British foreign ministry withdrew a blog of British diplomat in Bangkok after accusations that he had been spotted in the city's red light district, according to AFP.

Ian Proud, who serves as head of the British embassy's political section in Bangkok, had his blog posted on the website of the newspaper The Nation. The blog had already been withdrawn.

Proud, 38, has admitted to visiting Cowboy Street, the city's red light district, but has been quoted as saying that "the suggestion that I'm some sort of upholder of the sex trade in Bangkok ... It's pathetic, frankly."

"Ian has been the victim of malicious accusations about his personal behaviour. He has rejected such accusations," a foreign office spokesman said in London.

"These were personal comments made by a member of the British Embassy in Bangkok," he said. "He is a member of the diplomatic service and as such we do not comment ... I believe the blog has been withdrawn."

Proud's four-year tenure in Bangkok is set to end next month.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/breaking_new ... ?id=118065 (http://www.bangkokpost.net/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=118065)

Aunty
April 13th, 2007, 17:06
Proud's four-year tenure in Bangkok is set to end next month.

I don't think that's all that's about to end either, just quietly. Quite probably his career at the Foreign Office too! Imagine, a British diplomat seen in the company of $2 whores in the red light district of Bangkok. Outrageous. Who's ever heard of such a thing?! And on that salary too. Talk about bringing the UK into disrepute. Long have we thought they were a nation of cheap charlies, now we know it!

I am wondering here if Mr Blair's experiment with meritocracy has had some truly nauseating and well concealed little side effects? Selling off to the highest bidder half of the land that the Thai Monarchy graciously lent them instead of building a park for the people of Bangkok was just the tip of the ice-berg.

Quite right, Cedric, quite right. The UK isn't exactly short of a quid or two now is it? Now what was I talking about above? Oh that's right cheap................

April 13th, 2007, 17:32
I am wondering here if Mr Blair's experiment with meritocracy has had some truly nauseating and well concealed little side effects? Selling off to the highest bidder half of the land that the Thai Monarchy graciously lent them instead of building a park for the people of Bangkok was just the tip of the ice-berg.

Quite right, Cedric, quite right. The UK isn't exactly short of a quid or two now is it? Now what was I talking about above? Oh that's right cheap................
Poor old Blair has had to scramble round to find the money to pay for his folly in Iraq. Sale of the Embassy land will have given him some much needed cash - the fact that this may be nauseating to the rest of us will have little effect on Blair as any criticism will pass by him with ne'er a thought.

April 13th, 2007, 20:30
I don't think that's all that's about to end either, just quietly. Quite probably his career at the Foreign Office too!

You have a very poor grasp of European employment legislation. A few guys anonymously on the internet saying they saw you on a street in Bangkok as grounds for dismissal would give an employment tribunal a field day.

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 13th, 2007, 22:07
"British diplomat seen in the company of $2 whores in the red light district of Bangkok.'

are there any $2 whores ???? :bounce:

April 13th, 2007, 22:26
A few guys anonymously on the internet saying they saw you on a street in Bangkok as grounds for dismissal would give an employment tribunal a field day.

Yes, but Mr. Proud has admitted going to Soi Cowboy and in the echelons of higher diplomacy and corporate rule of the west that is tantamount to condoning behavior that is forbidden in the west and I suspect that we shall be hearing of his dismissal from his career very shortly.

British diplomat's blog withdrawn after claims of Thai red light visits

London - The British foreign ministry said on Thursday that the blog of a British diplomat in Bangkok had been withdrawn after accusations that he had been spotted in the city's red light district.

Ian Proud, whose blog was posted on the website of the Thai national newspaper The Nation, (nationmultimedia.com) denied the "malicious accusations" made on the site, the foreign ministry said.

"These were personal comments made by a member of the British Embassy in Bangkok," a Foreign Office spokesman said.

"He is a member of the diplomatic service and as such we do not comment ... I believe the blog has been withdrawn."

"Ian has been the victim of malicious accusations about his personal behaviour. He has rejected such accusations."

The foreign ministry also said it was reviewing its policy on allowing diplomats to write blogs.

Proud, 38, has admitted to visiting Cowboy Street in the Thai capital, part of the city's red light district, but has been quoted as saying that "the suggestion that I'm some sort of upholder of the sex trade in Bangkok ... It's pathetic, frankly."

Proud's four-year tenure in Bangkok as head of the British embassy's political section is set to end next month, according to his profile in the blog.

Agence France Presse

April 14th, 2007, 09:32
"These were personal comments made by a member of the British Embassy in Bangkok," a Foreign Office spokesman said.

He is a member of the diplomatic service and as such we do not comment ...

The foreign ministry also said it was reviewing its policy on allowing diplomats to write blogs.

The foreign office did of course comment, stating Proud denied all vicious accusations etc. And secondly the foreign office has no policy on allowing diplomats to write blogs, so how is it meant to be reviewing this policy? Proud never asked for nor received permission as an acting diplomat from the The Foreign Ministry to spew his trite and dull drivel on a blog in the first place, this is true.

Yes he should be fired. He made a unilateral decision to act as "PR for the ministry" on his blog, thinking it would boost their image abroad. Was he mistaken,no kidding? The fact that he has to pay for sex is immaterial, most of his nation it seems are reduced to having to do the same, that is hardly an issue, its dragging the image of an an uncaring and money grubbing nation into the realms of a broader public view that seems to most offend.

The number of times I have bumped into one particular diplomat in the Babylon waving his big stick would turn even the British Foreign Office green with envy, diplomats should be able to let of steam, they cannot be having too much fun in that tightly repressed little back alley doing the cross word puzzles day and night.

If anything, The Foreign Office should be reviewing its policy on prostitutes instead.

Aunty
April 14th, 2007, 10:02
I don't think that's all that's about to end either, just quietly. Quite probably his career at the Foreign Office too!

You have a very poor grasp of European employment legislation. A few guys anonymously on the internet saying they saw you on a street in Bangkok as grounds for dismissal would give an employment tribunal a field day.

You may well be right. After all, as I'm not European, nor do I live there, why would I have any knowledge of it? But I would put it to you, that you too have an equally poor grasp (naive perhaps?) of the role and function of a senior diplomat while posted overseas On Her Majesty's Service.

Unfortunately for dear Mr Pound, he has committed the cardinal sin of a diplomat. He has brought his country into disrepute while representing it overseas. After all a job in a diplomatic posting is all about keeping up relations with other countries. Sadly, Mr Pound's school boy blog seems to have fallen somewhat short of that, and it is for this reason that his career in the foreign office is fucked.

April 14th, 2007, 14:15
I assert that he won't/ can't be sacked because the EU has given us all over here something of what used to be called in Mao's China an "Iron Rice Bowl" provided we play by the rules. He indulged in an apparently innocuous personal past-time. This drew unexpected and unwarranted vitriol, probably because of his association with the Embassy.

I don't say his career won't be affected, he showed poor judgement, but if he were sacked for this incident alone, I'd expect to see him going to a tribunal. Labour tribunals here are very unpredictable with powers of unlimited award and employers are keen to avoid them. I know, I've been on the employer end of one as company chair. It can be expensive to not be very careful to be fair.

BTW It's not clear to me that he is senior or even a diplomat. Of course, more is expected of senior staff and it is then easier to justify radical action but Europe is not a hire and fire community - which makes it difficult to get hired, as well as fired.

Aunty
April 14th, 2007, 15:44
Well it might all be a moot point anyway as I think he's on record as saying he wishes to remain in Thailand once his current posting is up in a few months time. If that is the case it sounds like he won't be in the employ of the foreign office very much longer anyway - which may turn out to be a relief both to him and his civil service masters!

April 15th, 2007, 22:32
Sunday Morning Reading in America ...
Furor Rages Worldwide

The ever widening scandal involving a 'remote' British diplomat's admission of lurid, late night accompaniments of unidentified visitors to Bangkok's notorious Cowboy Street red-light district 'sex bars' is reinvigorating the complaints of many over the arrogance and indifference of the British Embassy in Bangkok toward even its own citizens who are ignored in their own quests to obtain visas for their beloved Thais, and the indifference paid to victims of the horrible Boxing Day tsunami disaster in December 2004. The diplomat's blog has indeed created another MAJOR scandal. Although what some have described as high level 'disingenuous piffle' condoning immoral behavoir, praising the 'singing' skills of a military coup strongman has been REMOVED from The Nation's blog site, shock, horror and disbelief still abound amongst British citizenry worldwide ...

Although I do respect Mr. Proud's courage in standing up against his elders and saying 'patronizing' nice things about Thais I do respect that the codes of morality must be upheld and I should not be angry should Mr. Proud's decision to stay in Thailand be more easily made as of this coming Monday morning.

Our man in Bangkok upsets Thais and expats in 'patronising' weblog

THE Scottish deputy head of Britain's mission in Bangkok has given up his internet blog after three days of insults on the internet, mainly from angry Britons in Thailand.

Ian Proud, also the head of the political department of the British Embassy, had started a weblog in Bangkok's English language newspaper, the Nation, edited by a personal friend.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/interna ... =565672007 (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=565672007) << see also comments (which have been CLOSED)

The SCOTSMAN

British diplomat's Thai blog closed after unwelcome comments

Staff and agencies
Friday April 13, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Travel/Pix/pictures/2004/03/05/bangkokstreetwide.jpg
Bangkok nightlife was at the heart of lurid speculation about a British diplomat, whose blog for a Thai newspaper has now been removed

A British diplomat's blog on a Thai newspaper website has been removed after it attracted salacious comments about his personal life.

Ian Proud, 38, wrote a seemingly innocent set of entries about life in Bangkok for the Nation newspaper's website as he neared the end of a four-year posting in Thailand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international ... 51,00.html (http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2056651,00.html)

The GUARDIAN

also:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/worl ... sblog.html (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/20070411-0915-thailand-diplomatsblog.html)
http://news.bostonherald.com/internatio ... eid=194161 (http://news.bostonherald.com/international/asiaPacific/view.bg?articleid=194161)
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.htm ... page_id=34 (http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=44828&in_page_id=34)
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _11_07.txt (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/12/news/politics/14_37_194_11_07.txt)

and MORE Google News:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&clien ... earch+News (http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=Xd5&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&tab=wn&q=proud+bangkok&btnG=Search+News)

April 15th, 2007, 23:42
can't find ought about it in this week's Sunday Times and only the usual suspect Brit baiters seem interested in keeping the non-story alive here <yawn>.

April 16th, 2007, 04:11
... only the usual suspect Brit baiters seem interested in keeping the non-story alive hereCedric, Aunty and Adenoids? The Forum's very own Axis of Evil?

April 16th, 2007, 08:01
can't find ought about it in this week's Sunday Times

Oh?

Diplomat's blog leads to new online rules
BANGKOK, April 15, 2007 (UPI) -- The British government is eyeing new regulations regarding officials' Internet use after one of its diplomats detailed his time in Bangkok on an online blog.

In the wake of last week's scandal involving British embassy official Ian Proud's decision to share his experiences in Bangkok online, the Sunday Times of London said his government is set to impose stricter Internet regulations.

At the invitation of a regional newspaper, the 38-year-old diplomat at the Bangkok embassy last Monday began offering short stories online about the Thai capital.

While Proud did not offer details regarding his profession, his comments and posted photos prompted a deluge of negative responses. Most posted comments against Proud's blog attacked the diplomat's sex life and professional competence.

Proud, who is set to leave his post in May, eventually removed his blog from the Web site.

The newspaper said the British government will not take action against the diplomat, but will begin limiting the Internet activities of its officials.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2 ... ine_rules/ (http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/04/15/diplomats_blog_leads_to_new_online_rules/)

(Well I AM happy for Mr. Proud on the no action news.) As a person who says I'm on {IGNORE} might claim, that ain't no schaden freud.

April 16th, 2007, 09:37
can't find ought about it in this week's Sunday Times and only the usual suspect Brit baiters seem interested in keeping the non-story alive here <yawn>.

Refuses to die until the bitter end. The axis of evil is not myself, Aunty and Arnoid, it is of course America "England" and Australia? Everyone knows that!

April 16th, 2007, 14:58
Hong Kong is full of folk who have been lumbered with obscure Western names ending in "ic". It almost invariably means that they went to a Catholic school and the first teacher they met was French.

I have to say "almost" as Cedric is quickly dispelling any suspicion we may have that he has had the benefit of schooling.

April 17th, 2007, 01:02
Hong Kong is full of folk who have been lumbered with obscure Western names ending in "ic". It almost invariably means that they went to a Catholic school and the first teacher they met was French.

So if the Hongkie's name ends with "nard" it almost invariably means they went to dog-training school and the first teacher they met was a Scottish midget?

lonelywombat
April 17th, 2007, 05:53

So if the Hongkie's name ends with "nard" it almost invariably means they went to dog-training school and the first teacher they met was a Scottish midget?

mother teresa from chiang rai is back again, with her snide remarks about the same old posters.

April 17th, 2007, 06:58
... is why all the Chinese women have first names that only a parlour-maid would have in England

Aunty
April 17th, 2007, 07:48
... is why all the Chinese women have first names that only a parlour-maid would have in England

You mean a name like yours, Beryl?

April 17th, 2007, 17:47

No mystery at all, the civil service here in Konkers and the bureaucracy since the beginning and right up until hand over, was populated with British, well er, plods, whose wives all could have very well been maids back home had the husbands not got the lucky break and been sent to the colonies. So a sort of Beryl like tradition lingers on in the local population along with Australia.

How clever Lightsout, I did become a Catholic for a few months, only to drive my grand-mother insane. All I did was cross myself before dinner absentmindedly one time and I was labelled a Catholic from then on in. No one seemed to mind except her, so I asked to be Christened in the Catholic church, of course it never came to that, so I ended up not being Christened at all.
Cedric, I am afraid along with Lawrence and James, are family names, at least I never got the other firm favourite, Harry, heavens alive.