View Full Version : Heat Stroke dangers

wowpow
April 6th, 2007, 04:46
Heat stroke a big threat

BANGKOK POST REPORTERS

"The extreme heat of summer is putting the elderly, children and the obese at greater risk of heat stroke, Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla warned yesterday. Also at risk are people who imbibe a lot of alcohol, suffer insomnia or have high blood pressure.

Heat stroke occurs when the body absorbs more heat than it can dispel through normal temperature-regulating functions. The build-up of heat in the body could be life-threatening. People in the risk group should avoid outdoor activities, he said.

Significant symptoms include muscle cramps, nausea and, ultimately, unconsciousness.

Chatree Banchuen, chief of Medical Services Department, recommended people drink at least two litres of water a day during the hot season."

I doubt any board members come into these categories?

jinks
April 6th, 2007, 04:54
I trust that you wowpow, don't follow an atypical life style.

ALL TOGETHER.... http://www.sabrizain.demon.co.uk/malaya/coward.wav

In tropical climes there are certain times of day
When all the citizens retire to tear their clothes off and perspire.
It's one of the rules that the greatest fools obey,
Because the sun is much too sultry
And one must avoid its ultry-violet ray.
The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously, definitely nuts!

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun,
The Japanese don┬┤t care to, the Chinese wouldn't dare to,
Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one
But Englishmen detest-a siesta.
In the Philippines they have lovely screens to protect you from the glare.
In the Malay States, there are hats like plates which the Britishers won't wear.
At twelve noon the natives swoon and no further work is done,
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

It's such a surprise for the Eastern eyes to see,
that though the English are effete, they're quite impervious to heat,
When the white man rides every native hides in glee,
Because the simple creatures hope he will impale his solar topee on a tree.
It seems such a shame when the English claim the earth,
They give rise to such hilarity and mirth.
Ha ha ha ha hoo hoo hoo hoo hee hee hee hee ......

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The toughest Burmese bandit can never understand it.
In Rangoon the heat of noon is just what the natives shun,
They put their Scotch or Rye down, and lie down.
In a jungle town where the sun beats down to the rage of man and beast
The English garb of the English sahib merely gets a bit more creased.
In Bangkok at twelve o'clock they foam at the mouth and run,

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The smallest Malay rabbit deplores this foolish habit.
In Hong Kong they strike a gong and fire off a noonday gun,
To reprimand each inmate who's in late.
In the mangrove swamps where the python romps
there is peace from twelve till two.
Even caribous lie around and snooze, for there's nothing else to do.
In Bengal to move at all is seldom ever done,

adman5000
April 6th, 2007, 09:53
Has it been unusually hot in Thailand this year? I know it is the hot season now, but when I have talked to the Thai friends there the heat seems to be more of a topic mentioned this season.

April 6th, 2007, 10:02
The extreme heat of summer is putting the elderly, children and the obese at greater risk of heat stroke

The elderly, children, and the obese.

100% apropos to the members of this forum (and their consorts), eh?

April 6th, 2007, 11:28
Has it been unusually hot in Thailand this year? I know it is the hot season now, but when I have talked to the Thai friends there the heat seems to be more of a topic mentioned this season.

It was the most pleasant cool season ever in Bangkok through early March.

It's VERY cold here.

The EXTREMES of weather are this year ever so more driven.

April 6th, 2007, 12:38
The extreme heat of summer is putting the elderly, children and the obese at greater risk of heat stroke

The elderly, children, and the obese.

100% apropos to the members of this forum (and their consorts), eh?

I beg your pardon, if its yourself you are talking about then fine. "Apropos moi" I happen to love the heat the hotter the better, and I never sweat, just the lightest of perspiration on my stiff upper lip, like the dew on a crisp pink rose petal of a soft autumn dawn.

April 6th, 2007, 17:45
I beg your pardon, if its yourself you are talking about then fine. "Apropos moi" I happen to love the heat the hotter the better, and I never sweat, just the lightest of perspiration on my stiff upper lip, like the dew on a crisp pink rose petal of a soft autumn dawn.
You are obviously a lady of intermediate breeding :flower: .

There was an old adage about the wives and girlfriends of members of the armed forces which went something like:

Other rank's ladies sweat

Senior NCO's ladies perspire

Officer's ladies glow

bao-bao
April 6th, 2007, 22:17
Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun,

Oh, thanks, jinks... now I'll have that running through my head all day! One of my favorite "novelty" songs of all time. I hadn't read the actual lyrics since I'd copy/pasted them here a while ago, and it was fun to see it again.

I've had troubles in the past with the heat "in tropical climes" myself. I was pushed by my doctor into the habit of drinking a lot of water daily about 30 years ago, so it's not abnormal behavior to do that there, but carrying it around is a little inconvenient. Not as inconvenient as having to plop down and put my head between my knees to fight the nausea, but still...

A salty snack (or even salt tablets) would help for those who aren't hypertensive, but heat exhaustion or heat prostration is NOT a pleasant feeling. Sodas, coffee, tea and alcohol - all of these cause your body to pee out more than you sipped in, too, I'm told. Water and juices are best. A friend there advised putting a pinch of salt in the juice, which wasn't bad tasting.

Everything in moderation!

adman5000
April 7th, 2007, 01:24
You are also much more susceptible to kidney stones if you become dehydrated and are inactive in a hot climate. I always force myself to drink water and carry it with me in Thailand (and elsewhere). I also stay away from some foods(such as almonds) which can raise your uric acid level and put you at risk. But I drink a lot of water and lose a lot in Thailand's climate.