PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance Best Buys from UK

wowpow
April 5th, 2007, 10:19
Travel agents sometimes make more money selling insurance than the holiday. If youтАЩre thinking 'obviously,' itтАЩs likely youтАЩve got an annual policy.┬а Yet you may be paying over the odds. Having compared 50+ providers these results show the top buys for singles, families and the over 65s, possibly saving you ┬г200. ??
┬аAnnual or single trip?
Keep the costs down
BEST BUYS: The Cheapest Policies
Annual policy for an individual ?Annual policy for a family ?Annual policies for the over 65s ?Pre-existing medical conditions ?Single Trip/ Backpacker policies
The Size of the Saving
Other Articles / Discuss
Cover up when you're on the beach!
Should you opt for annual or single-trip insurance?
??There are two types of travel insurance policy, and both can be good value in the right circumstances:
тАв Annual multi-trip travel insurance. ??This covers all trips during a year for a one-off fee, within a set maximum number of days away (usually between 30 and 60). Trips are mostly defined as business or travel overseas (even a day trip), or more than two consecutive nights away in the UK at prepaid accommodation starting the moment you leave until the moment you return. ??Winter sports may be included, usually for a limited number of days, though do check it covers equipment and any more unusual sporting pursuits.
тАв Single trip travel insurance. ??This has been given a bad name due to over-expensive travel agentsтАЩ policies. Actually, do it right (see below) and it can be good value, just a few pounds for a week away.
The rough rule of thumb for this is:
┬а
If you go away more than two times a year, including weekend breaks, you're better off with an annual policy.┬а
?┬а
The exception to the rule?
For those tripping to the USA an annual policy may be cheaper than single trip cover┬аand often is cheaper than cover for two single trip policies.┬а ??USA┬аcover is expensive because of the high medical costs, but annual policy prices are┬аcalculated on average trip demographics (roughly one long haul and one short haul week away).┬а Therefore USA go-ers grabbing annual policies are┬аeffectively being subsidised by people heading to medically less costly destinations.?┬а
full article: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/print. ... 0446,24889 (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/print.phtml?page=1083570446,24889)

April 5th, 2007, 20:12
When I go skiing, I think there is a good case for buying travel insurance. However, coming to various points in the Far East fairly frequently I feel that I've saved more in premiums over the past 10 years than I'm likely to be hit for should I get ill while travelling.

I've been avoiding even "business" travel to the US over the last two years as my last trip there was seriously unpleasant both in terms of what I perceive as "trickster" style interogation by the immigration officer I met and appalling service on the airline I used.

April 5th, 2007, 20:36
.... and reputable ...

was 99 pound for annual, but then when renewed I got 10% discount - so about 89 pound - and for people up to the age of 65 (and I think 70, but not sure). You can get annual insurance for as cheap as 50 or 60, 70 pound. But I think AX is reputable.

A note for UK insurance holders, insurance is invalid if the UK Foreign Office say "advised not to travel to that country" - I think at the moment they are saying avoid going to the south - in which case your insurance is invalid. Check the FCO site though.

Dick
April 5th, 2007, 23:11
Anybody use a motorcycle taxi? Check whether your travel insurance policy allows it. Some don't at all, some allow you to sit on a motorcycle up to 50cc, others up to 125cc, and others will even allow you to drive any size motorbike upon payment of an additional premium for hazardous activities... maybe a ┬г15 supplement or equivalent.

The major reason we take out travel insurance is to pay for medical cover in the event of serious illness or injury, and/or to get us home for treatment. But we are more likely to claim for delayed baggage or a delayed flight. Check how long you have to wait before you can claim... 8hrs, 12hrs, 24hrs... it can make a difference. And how much will the policy pay for emergency items if your luggage is lost or delayed? You might decide the higher premium from one insurance company that offers realistic payouts after only 8hrs flight delay and up to ┬г400 for emergency items is well worth the extra.

If you go for an annual policy, which I think is sound advice, then stick with it in subsequent years. Remember the small print that says you aren't covered for some condition/sickness that occurred less than 1 or 2 years before the start of the policy. Next renewal you'll have past that qualifying period; take out a fresh policy and you'll be starting from ground zero again.

Some policies do load the premiums for older travellers, but the age thresholds vary considerably amongst providers. So it does pay to shop around and study the small print carefully.