PDA

View Full Version : Thai to continue Non-stop flights to LA and NY

April 5th, 2007, 07:46
From the post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/t ... ?id=117685 (http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=117685)

Traffic picks up on direct US flights

By Post Reporters

"Thai Airways International has decided to continue offering non-stop flights to the United States due to improved passenger loads.

The national carrier had earlier been considering ending the loss-ridden service.

Management resolved to maintain the services as well as continue to use Airbus A340-500s, blamed for the high costs, on the Bangkok-Los Angeles and Bangkok-New York routes, THAI executives said in a statement issued yesterday.

The management was said to be encouraged by the rising passenger numbers on the routes and the decline in losses.

Between April and November last year, the cabin factor on the Bangkok-New York route was at 83%, earning about 240 million baht a month. The Bangkok-LA cabin factor was 79% in the same period, generating 183 million baht a month.

As part of its goal to turn Thailand into a hub for passengers flying between Asia and the US destinations. THAI plans to increase the number of direct flights in the Bangkok-LA and Bangkok-New York routes to daily from five times a week, starting in May.

The increased frequency is also expected to help improve the financial performance on the routes."

Personally, i think the reason "Increased Passenger Load factors" is a bunch of bull. The flight has always been very full when I have used it from LA. I think they could not sell the A340-500 gas hogs and are trying to save face. Doesn't matter to me. I love the non-stop flight with available premium economy seating.

April 6th, 2007, 05:00
exactly what is premium economy seating anyway? I've seen it listed but never understood the benefit.

jinks
April 6th, 2007, 05:01
exactly what is premium economy seating anyway? I've seen it listed but never understood the benefit.

Extra leg room, same crap cattle class food.

April 6th, 2007, 06:46
About 5 inches more leg room.. plus seats that are a couple inches wider and recline abit more. Makes all the difference in the world on a Long flight if your over 5'6". Yes, same food as economy.. but the service is better. The food and service is WAY beyond the standards of most American carriers. Well worth the couple hundred extra dollars.
EVA has similiar seating on overseas flights.