PDA

View Full Version : ATM Card fraud - a cautionary tale

April 4th, 2007, 23:57
On my last visit to Thailand (Pattaya, Bangkok, Hua Hin and Ratchaburi) I used a UK Post Office "Travel Money Card". It's a VISA Debit Card that you can "load" with credit and then use in any VISA ATM. You can add credit by phone at any time.

You have the same protection as Travel Cheques as the Post Office will replace it and any monies if it is stolen etc. It also has the advantage over normal Credit/Debit cards in that no one can withdraw more than the amount you load it with so there's no risk of running up large debits if it gets into the wrong hands.

It worked fine and I left some credit on the card to use on my next trip.

At the beginning of the week I checked the amount of credit left. I was surprised that there was very little.

I called their Hotline and was told that the card had been used earlier that day in Bangkok. Obviously it hadn't as it was safely at home in the UK with me. Someone had attempted to withdraw more than the amount on the card and then lowered the amount until there were was enough credit to cover it.

I know that Thailand has one of the highest levels of Card fraud in the World but I was still surprised that the card must have been cloned at some point during my last trip. I only ever used it in ATM machines so it was never in anybody else's hands even for a moment and the PIN was only known to me. I've read of clever devices and little cameras on ATM machines so I can only assume that's what happened.

The Post Office will be refunding the lost monies under their fraud protection scheme and the card has been replaced and the PIN number changed.

So if I use it in future it will only be in machines inside Banks and I'll hope that's safe...

April 5th, 2007, 02:05
These people can get to your money anywhere anytime. I recently had someone remove ┬г3200 from a credit card I haven't used in almost 2 years. It stays with me at all times. The bank says they used my date of birth, mother's maiden name and TWO passwords which only I know. They are not written anywhere and are not on my computer system. How did they get them? Fecked if I know. Luckily the money was retrieved, not that anyone will tell me who or how the money managed to be removed.

April 5th, 2007, 05:25
the call centres are corrupt ... but don't quote me, but there was a recent case of it. They hold all the information.

April 5th, 2007, 05:27
I've read of clever devices and little cameras on ATM machines so I can only assume that's what happened.

Well, that's one posibility. I always cover keyboards with my free hand when entering pin numbers. Looks silly but the extra protection is worth it. PIN numbers are usually "served" onto printers that contain "chinese writing" paper before posting (mailing) so that no human other than the customer gets oversight of them.

Steve1903's story suggests that there is an inside job at his provider. My travelling credit card account goes to sleep if I don't use it for three months and then requires an authenticated call to reactivate it. Most banks are quick to re-imburse fraudulent transactions but I've recently heard of some providers dragging their heels.

My home use credit card provider (JohnLewisPartnership) seem a bit neurotic and sometimes phone my home before I get there when there is a wide variation in value of my transactions. e.g. the day I bought a ┬г1000 oven and a newspaper at different counters in my most frequently used branch of Waitrose. Their "artificial inteligence" thinks that's odd and throws up a discrepancy alert and my home gets called. I have no objection to them erring on the side of caution and let them know when I'm going to be abroad for a prolonged period.

jinks
April 5th, 2007, 13:34
Why OH why do so many people get it wrong?

Personal Identification Number

Therefore PIN Number is nonsensical = Personal Identification Number Number

April 5th, 2007, 23:19
Why OH why do so many people get it wrong?

Personal Identification Number

Therefore PIN Number is nonsensical = Personal Identification Number Number

PIN has become a word by common usage so PIN number is understood whereas PI number isn't. If you want to be understood then say PIN number but if you prefer pedantic nit picking then go ahead... Personally I couldn't give a toss.

April 6th, 2007, 00:56
My home use credit card provider (JohnLewisPartnership) seem a bit neurotic and sometimes phone my home before I get there when there is a wide variation in value of my transactions. e.g. the day I bought a ┬г1000 oven and a newspaper at different counters in my most frequently used branch of Waitrose.

You bought a newspaper with your credit card? Please tell us you are not for real.

April 6th, 2007, 08:37
You bought a newspaper with your credit card? Please tell us you are not for real.

Why not? It's in the shop that hosts the card and every purchase adds to the reward bonus. Look after the satang and the baht look after themselves. With chip 'n pin it's as convenient as cash. It's hardly my problem if the shop paid more for the transaction than I did for the paper - though I suspect they didn't.

Actually, I try to avoid carrying coins as they wear out pockets.

April 6th, 2007, 14:01
"Coins wear out the pockets". How very Scottish North Star. :bom: :bom:

April 6th, 2007, 14:28
"Coins wear out the pockets". How very Scottish North Star. :bom: :bom:

When I was young and occasionally wore my national costume, I needed a lot of coins in the sporan for fear of what might arise. These days I occasionally wonder how many groats these little blue pills cost.