PDA

View Full Version : Onward/return ticket for Visa free entry being demanded

April 4th, 2007, 06:09
Notice at Cambodian border:
THE ALIENS ENTERING KINGDOM WITH NO VISA MUST PRESENT TICKET OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID ALREADY OR CONFIRMED TO EXIT THE KIGNDOM AND MUST NOT EXCEED 30 DAYS UPON THE DATE OF ENTRANCE TO THE KINGDOM

This rule has not been applied in living memory.The rule on Embassy websites refers to an Air Ticket ? If it becomes the norm it is going to have serious ramification for the airlines ( they are required to ensure that their passengers have the entry requirements for the country of destination) and possibly persons wishing to use Thailand as a base to travel around S E Asia by land. Thailand's Tourism charm offensive continues? Just to clarify this requirement only applies to persons from certain countries allowed to enter Thailand visa free for 30 days tourism. It does not apply to persons with Visas.

See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... pic=114167 (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114167)

Alerted by sjaak327 http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com[/b]

April 4th, 2007, 07:31
I was greatly puzzled when I came through Immigration recently. Three Japanese grandmothers in the queue ahead of me were required to fish out paper tickets from their hand baggage. I simply presented my passport with boarding pass and received an entry stamp without a whimper, though my visage was twice checked. Perhaps I shouldn't have smiled the first time.

As I use e-tickets and my Frequent Flier card,it might have been difficult to find any documentation showing intentions to leave.

April 4th, 2007, 08:45
The requirement for an onward ticket to qualify for the 30 day stay (without visa) in Thailand has been in existence for at least 20 years. In my numerous trips during that period (before I moved here a few years ago), I was never asked to produce an onward ticket. However, I guess if the Immigration Officer doesn't like your looks, they could ask to see it (say a poorly dressed backpacker type -- actually when I first started coming to LOS in 1985, there was a large sign at Don Maung Immigration stating that such types would be denied entry -- I can't remember the exact wording of the sign, but I recall it was clear enough to get the idea that long-haired, jeans clad, hippie types were not welcome).

I have heard from others (no personal experience) that some Asian airlines will allow boarding without having an onward ticket. However, several US airlines do ask for such proof if you do not have a visa and do not have a ticket for a round trip or onward travel within the 30 day stay period since the airline must "foot the cost" to another destination if you are denied entry by Thai Immigration.

That being said, there is one US airline (American Airlines) that insists you have to have such a ticket even if you are traveling on a visa. They initially would not issue a boarding pass at Dallas/Fort Worth for my flight to Los Angeles connecting with EVA. Although I had booked the roundtrip from BKK-TPE-LAX-DFW and return with EVA, it seem AA operated the DFW-LAX-TPE portion as a "codeshare." After much discussion with the agent and her supervisor at DFW, they finally allowed me to board, but gave me a boarding pass only to LAX with the comment that it would be EVA's responsibility. The AA supervisor in a sneering manner told me that EVA would not let me board their flight. Of course, there was no problem with EVA - the EVA agent did look at my visa and re-entry permit when I checked in at LAX, smiled nicely, and said "have a good flight."

Before retiring and moving to LOS, I booked flights a couple of times to/from BKK with AA's flights going from DFW to Tokyo or Osaka then connecting with another flight to BKK (when it was the "best price" at the time). After my above related experience, I can assure you I would never book a flight to/from USA that involves AA's direct flights to Japan -- I'm sure if that had been the case mentioned above, I would have been denied boarding or required to purchase a return or onward ticket.

April 4th, 2007, 09:00
As I use e-tickets and my Frequent Flier card,it might have been difficult to find any documentation showing intentions to leave.There is a very clear statement on e-tickets that a paper version "must be available for Immigration/Customs" - I can see one on my desk (my "flee Thailand for Songkran" one) as I write. That's why they want your email address - so they can send it to you for you to print out

April 4th, 2007, 09:39
So it's not just Jane Austen you read. I've used only e-tickets for about three to four years now. I've used a PDA note of the transaction number for airlines where I'm not a Frequent Flier. Never had any problem, but usually had the printed six page, ad laden e-mail in baggage someplace, sometimes checked-in.

You know Colonel, a good jacket, straight back, smile and eye contact eases passage in many situations, even to those of us of limited height.

April 4th, 2007, 10:05
hmmm....I wonder what would happen if my friend gets checked at immigration, he always buys airplane ticket in LOS for return BKK-US roundtrip. He said it is cheaper this way. He fly NWA, didn't seem to have problem with the airlines....hmmm.

April 4th, 2007, 10:13
You know Colonel, a good jacket, straight back, smile and eye contact eases passage in many situations, even to those of us of limited height.The older you are (except extreme old age), the more respectable you look, the more you can get away with. It's a well-tried formula - look how successful it is for con-men. Even walking into the lobby of any 5- or 6-star hotel in Bangkok to escape the heat is open to you if you don't get around in shorts and singlet. Unfortunately the Thais are unable to realise that someone wearing a long-sleeved shirt, shorts, long socks and sandals doesn't belong there (and unfortunately some of them do - they're paying guests)

April 4th, 2007, 10:16
hmmm....I wonder what would happen if my friend gets checked at immigration, he always buys airplane ticket in LOS for return BKK-US roundtrip. He said it is cheaper this way. He fly NWA, didn't seem to have problem with the airlines....hmmm.Technically he should already have a copy of his next ticket out of Thailand on him when he arrives, even though the origin of the ticket is Thailand. But is he visa-exempt (ie. 30 days) or carries a visa?

April 4th, 2007, 10:19
I am sure that when I read about this onward ticket in the past it always specified the it had to be an Air ticket.

I went to the Thai Embassy London website and it now says:

" Their purpose of visit is only for tourism
They have the nationality of the countries issuing their passports or travel documents in lieu of passports which must be authentic and valid (this excludes all certificates of identity)
They arrive in and depart Thailand by any means of transport (air, land or sea) through immigration checkpoints, any confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained.
Confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained."

So it seems that they have changed the rules and seem to be getting ready to apply them. They are in a difficult situation to publicize the new rules as it has always been a rule they just didn't enforce it.

The airlines, after some hesitancy, accepted printouts of confirmation of a ticketless flight. I feel sure that Immigration must do the same.

April 4th, 2007, 10:24
The airlines, after some hesitancy, accepted printouts of confirmation of a ticketless flightThat is where you face them down, with a steely glint in your eye, and say in a very loud voice "Is your computer not working?". Mind you, the phrase "computer down" is one of the most constantly-heard refrains in the Thai office environment. There is no such thing as a "ticketless flight" by the way, it is a paper ticketless OR all e-ticket flight. You can't take a scheduled flight without a ticket even though you may not be aware that you have one

April 4th, 2007, 11:59
Even walking into the lobby of any 5- or 6-star hotel in Bangkok to escape the heat is open to you if you don't get around in shorts and singlet.

You remind me of my first visit to Thailand when I would use the lobby bar of the new Dusit Thani for my G&T, though I was shacked up for about a pound a night down a soi over on Pethburi, dropping into that smart First Hotel for breakfast.

April 4th, 2007, 17:51
On my last two visits to LOS (in Jan and Aug last year), traveling on an e-ticket and entering under the 30-day visa free provision, I was asked both times by Immigration to produce written confirmation from my travel agent/airline of my return flight booking. I book through Trailfinders and as they issue a paper confirmation of your whole travel itinerary anyway, there was no problem.

I was also required about four years ago to produce my return ticket (at that time a paper ticket) on another visit so, as another poster has pointed out, this has been a requirement for a considerable time..

April 4th, 2007, 18:44
In 20 years travel to thailand never have been asked for return ticket. But i always have my return ticket. When you fly first class you use fast lane over diplomatic immigration and there is no question only smiling.

adman5000
April 4th, 2007, 19:27
During all the times I have flown to Thailand, I have never been asked for a copy of my return ticket except when I flew Philippines Air. Since I buy my return tickets in BKK, I informed them of that and they would only check me in to Manila, but I had no problem in Manila checking in for BKK. Now I have a one year visa so I don't worry.