PDA

View Full Version : High Rise Fire

kodiak
March 30th, 2007, 23:19
In Long Beach California yesterday was a 20 story high rise fire in an apartment building....and one guy jumped to his death.......luckily not more were hurt.
There were no sprinklers in this building because it was built in 1967.
But it made me think a lot about the high rise condos in Thailand....and what would happen if a fire broke out.........

How is the Pattaya Fire dept equipted to handle such a disaster....?

I shudder to think...?
Do Thailand high rise condos have sprinkler systems.....?
My guess is not..?

Would certainly like to hear more on this subject from informed individuals..?
I have been coming to Thailand now for about 5 years....and want to buy a condo......but this latest fire....really has me thinking about the dangers...?
Especially in this Ocean 1 Project.......
Can airplanes easily fly by this High rise tower......scary to think of such things.....but i think one must..?

March 30th, 2007, 23:21
I`ve seen a few high rise fires in Bkk - they coped very well. One was in the big block you can see standing outside Solid about 14 floors up ( look left)

Are all those new fire engines out of storage yet?

March 30th, 2007, 23:53
I live in a high rise, and we have a pretty sophisticated sprinkler and fire alarm system. We also have regular fire drills. I had a fire consultant check the place out before I bought it, and he said it would meet US specifications.

Brad the Impala
March 31st, 2007, 03:08
I had a fire consultant check the place out before I bought it, and he said it would meet US specifications.

And that's supposed to be reassuring after the opening post!

jimnbkk
March 31st, 2007, 03:38
Building A where I stayed on my last visit has sprinklers in the apartments and in the hallways. I felt quite safe. Also, you must remember that in Thailand, there isn't any wood used in the buildings structure; it's all concrete and brick/mortar. so the only thing that can really burn is the furnishings and maybe wiring. So I feel quite safe with the sprinklers as installed in VT2.

March 31st, 2007, 05:32
it's all concrete and brick/mortarMostly mortar, in fact

March 31st, 2007, 14:25
Yeah
Sophisticated sprinkler and fire alarm systems - brilliant - nothing left to chance!!!
:cheers:
How about water?

March 31st, 2007, 15:37
Gee...do ya think that might be on the list of things a fire consultant might check?

March 31st, 2007, 19:07
Gee...do ya think that might be on the list of things a fire consultant might check?

On a weekly/monthly basis? - they do run out of water you know - ask the guys in Pattaya!

March 31st, 2007, 20:35

On a weekly/monthly basis? - they do run out of water you know - ask the guys in Pattaya!

We don't "run out of water" in Bangkok, where I live. As far as Pattaya is concerned, the whole place could burn town and fall into the sea (along with all its residents) for all I care.

March 31st, 2007, 20:58

We don't "run out of water" in Bangkok, where I live. As far as Pattaya is concerned, the whole place could burn town and fall into the sea (along with all its residents) for all I care.

Charming! Does the above quote include the Thais? - If I recall correctly, your fellow countrymen!

March 31st, 2007, 21:10
We don't "run out of water" in Bangkok, where I live. As far as Pattaya is concerned, the whole place could burn town and fall into the sea (along with all its residents) for all I care.Charming! Does the above quote include the Thais? - If I recall correctly, your fellow countrymen!He's young, rogered - along with Young Master Cedric and Aunty. All, I'm afraid, still wet behind the ears. No charm, no humility, no sense of fallibility. They may learn. Mind you, in Aunty's case the reason why her life's work has been spent dissecting amoebae is that her brain is most comfortable in the company of other single-cell organisms

March 31st, 2007, 21:43
We don't "run out of water" in Bangkok, where I live. As far as Pattaya is concerned, the whole place could burn town and fall into the sea (along with all its residents) for all I care.Charming! Does the above quote include the Thais? - If I recall correctly, your fellow countrymen!He's young, rogered - along with Young Master Cedric and Aunty. All, I'm afraid, still wet behind the ears. No charm, no humility, no sense of fallibility. They may learn. Mind you, in Aunty's case the reason why her life's work has been spent dissecting amoebae is that her brain is most comfortable in the company of other single-cell organisms

So how old is he? 18? 19? 20? I thought he was in his forties!
Was it Mark Twain who said something like - It is better to keep ones mouth closed and appear a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

March 31st, 2007, 23:00
So how old is he? 18? 19? 20? I thought he was in his forties! Indeed he is - an arrogant young pup