PDA

View Full Version : So now what?

bucknaway
March 30th, 2007, 07:52
People use to post their Thai experiences.... We analyzed their writing style, insinuated they were molesters, users or unhappy in life... Or we claimed they were stupid, weak or foolish. They defended themselves but stopped posting for the most part.

Some guys use to post about their life and times in Pattaya... We investigated and investigated until we had an idea of who they were in real life and then went on the attack. They defended themselves but have stopped posting for the most part.

Sometimes new people will ask a question that was talked about months ago... We attack that new person and demand that they search the archives because we are far too busy to answer their question beyond demanding they search the archive and question if they are new at all to begin with. They defend their question and go back to being a lurker and stop posting for the most part.

We use to have guys on here that were a wealth of information on almost all things related to Thailand. IF you needed help on almost anything, they were there! They would post a map or a schedule along with some sage advice... Thanks to him, many of us had wonderful vacations, in large part thanks to him. I wonder what happened to him and the other guys like him?

Not so long ago, I felt as if I was getting to know the people here. Everyone shared a little of who they were. Their stories created a feeling of community and I often wondered if I too could experience the things they wrote about?

I have stayed at hotels because I read about the hotel on here..
I have walked down streets because of the stores I read on here...
I have eaten at restaurants; sat in bars, danced at discos and lounged at saunas simply because a poster mentioned an experience they had or suggested we try it...

Now we are lucky if we get 2 old-fashioned posts in a monthтАЩs time....

Now every topic turns into a fight. Not a good fight like Sanitree vs Pearl but a boring fight like one would have with boygeenyus or Hedda..... It sucks... So now what? Hit refresh and hope for the best?

wowpow
March 30th, 2007, 09:11
Now you know Thailand well it is your turn to dispense wisdom

Bob
March 30th, 2007, 09:56
So now what? Hit refresh and hope for the best?

A better idea might be to remember that there's a list somewhere of what's important in life and the existence of this Board, let alone controlling the few screwballs that usually try to turn it into adolescent city, is not likely in the top 100 items of that list, i.e., don't get too bent out of shape by trivialities. I would submit that what you'll be eating for breakfast in the morning is more important in the scheme of things than what happens on this Board.

bucknaway
March 30th, 2007, 10:23
Nothing bends me out of shape........ well my X-lover did...... many times.......

April 1st, 2007, 20:44
Bucknaway, you are so very sympathetic! May I invite you for dinner in Pattaya in June?

bucknaway
April 1st, 2007, 21:15
Thank you for your kind offer! But I will not be in Thailand until October. If you are in Pattaya, Thailand in October, I am sure I will spend a great deal of my time in Pattaya and would be happy to share a drink, a meal and a smile with you.

April 2nd, 2007, 03:20
Dear Bucknaway,
I wholeheartedly agree with you. It is sad that certain individuals spend so much time replying briefly, vindictively to almost every thread, usualy taking it way off the subject. I used to share my story on this board bt I am not likely now to share anything personal on here. I don't mind people making jokes and having a laugh, but the constant derision is wearing just to read, even of it is not directed at me. I definitely post less these days, and certainly don't start threads. Sad. Pearl and Sanitree were always such fun, keeping things light.

Cheers.

petr55
April 2nd, 2007, 06:08
There is a way to fix this, you know...

ie.

Heavily moderate the posts here.
Anytime you get posts that break the ground rules, delete them.

Or better yet, designate a separate section for a war board and move offending posts there for the children to duke it out.
And leave the main forum for polite interaction...

Bucknaway: I suspect the majority of the readers here will agree with you. But most (like myself) would rather stay in the background than engage in petty fights.

Petr

April 2nd, 2007, 06:10
There is a way to fix this, you know... Join Hedda and the Grand Ayatollah and post on the other Boards. If you don't like the rules of this Forum, there are alternatives

bucknaway
April 2nd, 2007, 06:59
He was not complaining about the rules here, he was simply offering a view on the price we would pay to make the board more welcoming to posts.. He is expressing the idea that less freedom may not bring about the results I would hope for.

My post was not an appeal to the Mods, it was an appeal to my fellow posters.

There is a way to fix this, you know... Join Hedda and the Grand Ayatollah and post on the other Boards. If you don't like the rules of this Forum, there are alternatives

April 2nd, 2007, 07:21
My post was not an appeal to the Mods, it was an appeal to my fellow postersI'm sorry but you're living in a fantasy world - the reason why Forums are moderated is that people don't self-police

April 2nd, 2007, 07:25
you're living in a fantasy world

Would have thought that the fact he is a Bush supporter would be more than sufficient evidence of this statement.

bucknaway
April 2nd, 2007, 07:32
Your living in the past...

you're living in a fantasy world

Would have thought that the fact he is a Bush supporter would be more than sufficient evidence of this statement.

April 2nd, 2007, 07:37
Your living in the past...

Are you no longer a Bush-ite, then?

April 2nd, 2007, 07:39
Your living in the past... One of the contributors to that composite character known as The Colonel is currently livin' in the heart of Bush country. Today is Pedophilia Support Day in San Antonio - lots of 8yo girls in skimpy costumes, make-up and high heels

April 2nd, 2007, 07:57
Personally, I stumbled into this migratory virtual community shortly after the demise of the much mentioned golden age. One gathers there had been a flurry of mutually supportive communication in some now almost defunct corners of the world-wide web. However, differences had become apparent. Certain posters brought the divisions of their previous lives to the board and as the posting clique emerged it displayed initial intolerance to late-comers, followed by vicious derision firstly of opinions and then of revealed personal detail.

There can never be a return to the golden age, because we have all seen each other in the morning. Personally, I'm grateful to have perceived some of the realities of "paradise".

Impulse
April 2nd, 2007, 08:12
I have found if you are sincere in needing help,there are plenty of posters here who wont hesitate to answer your questions or give sage advice.Its unfortunate that many ridicule others post.Most annoying is the re-qouting of what one says and the dissection of it.Almost like the Watergate hearings. I love to read the trip reports also,Dodgers come to mind,well they are all good,except maybe the ficticious story written a while back that included characters on this board.The bottom line is this board will only be as good as what the posters input.Hopefully the ones with all the negative comments will realise that they arnt making this a better place.