PDA

View Full Version : renting a car and driving yourself

March 28th, 2007, 19:51
Hello,

Next month of November we plan to go to Surin for the Elephant roundup and after that drive to Sukhothai for the Loy Krathong festival. Typically we rent a car with driver for this kind of excursions, but I am considering renting a car with Avis or Hertz and driving myself this time. We have an excellent Michelin Road map and I can speak enough Thai to get around, even in the Issan. We would leave from Bangkok International airport and stay in Jomtien for a few days after the tour before going back top the Airport.

Two questions:
1. does one need an international drivers license or is a European one OK?
2. can one rent cars with GPS in Thailand, and does it work properly?

Thanks for the info.

March 28th, 2007, 20:12
Hello,

1. does one need an international drivers license or is a European one OK?
2. can one rent cars with GPS in Thailand, and does it work properly?

Thanks for the info.

No you don't need an international driving license, a European one is fine. No you don't need GPS, and I have never seen anything with it. A local road map is all you need. The roads are very good and well sign posted throughout Thailand. A mobile phone is a must of course, most people have international roaming or you can pick up a card at the airport. Avis just next to the (old) airport, across the highway, is very good and gives a good deal if you use them often enough, but even if you don't they have nice Honda SUV's, which gives you plenty of space and you can explore off road areas with ease. Have fun, I think I might do the same Easter week end.
Oh yea, book well in advance especially round Songkran, as they often don't have anything available, and I mean nothing anywhere, same for all the major holidays. Ooops bang go my plans.

March 28th, 2007, 20:35
I fully agree with Cedric, Avis is exceptionally good and has a good recovery system through out Thailand. Don't be tempted by some of the local "Good deals" offered at tourist spots as you might well find yourself out of pocket if anything happens. Most foreign licenses are accepted in Thailand for tourist visits.

TrongpaiExpat
March 28th, 2007, 21:27
I rent cars (self drive) all the time and have not had any problems. I have a Thai DL, so I don't know if you really need an international DL but since they are easy to get, I would get one just to be safe.

I have used Budget (http://www.budget.co.th/) and Highway rental in Bangkok as well as some no-name places. Self-drive rentals are easy to find in major cities but hard to come by some cities.

Watch out for taxi divers and the huge tour buses.

March 29th, 2007, 00:55
Yes you do need an international Drivers lic. I looked into this from the UK and both RAC and AA motoring organizatios told me for Thailand it is required. The liscence is only a few pounds but only lasts for 3 months in Thailand from time of issue, other places have a longer period.

March 29th, 2007, 03:31
I rented a car in HuaHin to drive down to Phuket a couple of weeks ago from Avis who willingly accepted my South African drivers licence without hesitation. There was no question of needing an international licence.

Brad the Impala
March 29th, 2007, 04:16
Confusing of the issues here. You don't need an International license to hire a car. However it is a legal requirement to have one, and if unable to produce it on request for the police, there could be trouble ahead!

Dick
March 29th, 2007, 06:28
Brad has got the facts bang on correct.
Check with your International Driving Bureau or whatever you call it where you live if you wish, but you do need an International License if you want to drive Kosher to accompany your regular license.

I have done the trip by car + driver from Phimai (Phimai Festival week) to Sukhotai (for Loy Kratong). By the way, isn't Loy Kratong usually the first or second weekend of November, and the Surin Roundup in the third week? I haven't checked the dates for 2007 but it might be worth your while to double check. Anyways, the journey by car with driver took all day... and Surin is an even further starting point.

I would strongly advise you not to drive yourself for all the advice as has been given in previous threads, and because it is such a long and very tiring drive. You would be held accountable for anything. If time allows, I would also consider the train as an alternative, an experience in itself. Geezer is our resident expert on rail travel by the way.

I am reminded also of the Johnny Walker advert plastered on bill boards along the route to the airport: Drink, don't drive!

March 29th, 2007, 09:35
This is news to me I have never used an international drivers licence in Thailand, and I have been driving there since I turned 21.
On Bali for example you only technically need one, but they don't say much because they like to every once and awhile stop all foreign tourists and relieve them of their cash.

But this has never happened in Thailand. And I have been through any number of military and traffic checkpoints where I have had to only rarely even show my passport and drivers license. If its true and you need one, better get it then, but I can't, its far too much trouble, it has to issued in your home country blah blah, and it only has a very limited life span. Maybe you can get a temporary Thai one from the consulate before you leave.

As for driving in Thailand Dick it is very safe and rewarding. I rate it as easy and as safe as lets say France, but not as bad as Belgium or China. I never drive at night in countries whose roads I dont know very well, and it is also not advisable in Thailand on the highway especially. Also Bangkok can be a nightmare of congestion like London, so I prefer to come in early morning and dump the car in the hotel car park or take it back to the agency. But if you pick up the car at the old airport it is very easy to get out of town, South or North, depends on the traffic, its more or less straight driving on a high-way.

Avis only take a copy of your passport, but I have heard that others keep it as a deposit, like local agencies, which is a bit odd, I assume most people pay with a credit card. This could be a problem especially as we are asked to carry our passports with us at all times? Full insurance is a must, so it is probably advisable to only rent from well known international rental companies anyway.

Dick
March 30th, 2007, 02:41
Good Post Cedric. I'll bow to your practical experiences as regards driving yourself in Thailand. Never the less, an International License is legally required and as you say it has limited validity. Stay longer, or even l o n g e r, and I assume as might a policeman's boss that you are expected to obtain a license in the country you are 'staying' in. I gather in Thailand that requires merely the payment of a fee for the license, and the payment of the fee to 'take & pass' the test.
I too very much enjoy driving but I suspect there is a vast difference in the sensibilities you will have learnt from I deduce your years of experience along Thai roads, than the frustrations the 'tourist' will experience on an occasional shorter trip. I wouldn't even consider it myself in any of Thailand's cities because of the congestion and bad habits that engenders. Yes out in the provinces along quieter roads I imagine it can be as you suggest a rewarding experience, but having travelled the route to Sukhothai from Isaan I found little of the sought. Busy two-way highways, twists and turns, ups and downs, with few opportunities for overtaking. It isn't a route I would want to drive myself despite all the prowess I might boast of my driving skills.
I can only offer advice as I see it, same as you offer your own and others will offer theirs. Up to henk to weigh it all up and make his own choices.

Alaan
March 30th, 2007, 03:53
According to the DVLA and AA helplines in the Uk, for driving in Thailand, Dick is correct in that an International Driving License is required. In the Uk they are easy to get from a post office, all you need to take is your current uk license and it is made up for you on the spot, I think for about ┬г4, only problem is that they have to be renewed annually.
I dare say you could get away with a standard uk driving license, but from my own perspective, it is something I wouldn't risk, simply because my visits to Thailand are holiday visits 3-4 weeks at a time, the last thing I want to be bothered with is a run-in with a perhaps over-zealous police official who could, under certain circumstances, make things very difficult for you if he was so minded and the thought of having days of my short holiday cut shorter just because of a driving license problem is just not worth it for the sake of a 10 minute visit to a post office before I go.
Even my Thai friend had a problem just outside Korat at a police stop point. They were determined to get him for something so that he would have to pay a 'fine'. All his papers were in order, so they took him for a pee test, which was also clear, but they did get bt200 out of him because, as he was just out of his 2 year conscript from the army, the paper equivalent of his id card is kept by the army for processing and is then sent on later, everyone knows that this happens but because he didn't have it on him at the time they wanted Bt200, so much for serving your country, he knew he could have argued about it, but he told me it just wasn't worth it for Bt200.

On saying that, don't let that put you off from driving, if you are from the uk Thais drive on the same side of the road, so the transition is easy. But I never drive in Bangkok, Pattaya or other built up cities and towns if I don't have to, and certainly wouldn't recommend it, as the rules change drastically in built up areas, and in the uk i'm just not used to driving in amongst so many motocys coming at you, as they do, from all angles. I usually share the driving with my Thai friend, he drives in Bangkok and Pattaya and other heavy traffic areas and I drive on the motorways and roads up north, and in the 5 years I have been driving there I haven't had any problems whatsoever, on my last recent visit earlier this month even driving to the Rong Klua market beside Sa Kaeo near the Cambodian border I must have driven through about at least 20 police check points and not stopped once.

As Cedric says the routes are very well sign posted, and the main roads are very good, we've always managed just fine with a good road map. It is an enjoyable way to see some of the Thailand you're never going to get to see as part of an organised tour or even taking the bus or train as you can stop where you like, going off road to country parks and waterfalls etc.My Thai friend enjoys it just as much as me, as many Thais under normal circumstances see very little of their own country.

TrongpaiExpat
March 30th, 2007, 13:14
I gather in Thailand that requires merely the payment of a fee for the license, and the payment of the fee to 'take & pass' the test.

It takes about half a day at the Land Transportation Department once you have all the necessary documents. driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html (http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html)

March 30th, 2007, 14:16
I gather in Thailand that requires merely the payment of a fee for the license, and the payment of the fee to 'take & pass' the test.

It takes about half a day at the Land Transportation Department once you have all the necessary documents. driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html (http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html)

I will look into this, because I am sure given that it is a requirement, (that I have blissfully ignored) you should be able to get something at a Thai consulate in which ever county you find yourself. Going to the LTDep office for half a day before you pick up your car is not the way I want to spend my first day, its probably miles from the airport or the rental agency too, so could take a whole day.

The only thing about driving yourself is that you miss quite a lot of action and interaction that you would get on a train or a bus, but it's far nicer in many other ways as you are not bound by timetables and drivers and suitcases etc. Thai driving style is typically polite and will rarely even hoot at you, often they use the hard shoulder on highways as an extra lane which is very convenient for over taking. Problem with night driving beyond that the roads are strange to the driver, is you have all these long distance truck and bus drivers making time, and they are loaded with speed to keep them awake or they are so tired they are falling asleep.

I love stopping in small towns and finding a meal and a hotel or on the highway tasting all the "produit d' region" sold from the little stalls as you pass through, depending on the season, its usually strange and wonderful fruit and local delicacies sold as snacks. Half of the stuff I stick into my mouth, I have no idea what it is, its usually delicious though and the vendors are always charming, often kids making some pocket money.

TrongpaiExpat
March 30th, 2007, 14:32
You would not get a Thai DL if your here on holiday. You have to have a O-A visa or work visa to get a DL:
"If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply). "

driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html (http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html)

The method and requirements are up to date on this site but they have added one vision test, a peripheral vision test. If you wear glasses, take them off. It's easy to see the dots but not easy to tell the color since the machine I was on was all faded out. You get 3 or more shots at it, so just guess and since there are only three colors you get it right eventually.

The depth perception machine I used was broken, it was stuck on the correct setting, so I passed by just sitting there for a few seconds.

March 30th, 2007, 14:58
Hello gentlemen,

Thanks for the info already. Yes I am quite convinced to go on with it. Of course a car with driver can be comfortable, but it also can be a hassle as well. Last year we made a very nice trip through the Issan with a party of five. The van and driver had been arranged by Rob from Image Limo. Khun Niphon, the driver was very considerate and also careful on the road (yes he was Thai!). On other occasions though some drivers have been nightmares.

I do reckon that I can find my way with the map. When touring in Thailand with a chauffeur driven car I always follow the road myself. I have realised that Thai drivers do not rely a lot on maps. If they donтАЩt know, they will rather ask people for directions, even when shown the map.

I will get an international DL in my country. I have some experience with driving on the wrong side of the road; I have studied in England for quite a while and had a car over there.

As to the dates, I have checked these of course. The Surin Elephant roundup is always during the third weekend of November indeed, Loy Krathong is on the full moon of the twelfth lunar month. This year the two festivals are only two days apart. There is an excellent website with all major events in Thailand. I would split the drive in two and sleep overnight somewhere around Chayaphum. We do love to visit small villages and stop where we like. With a driver we have had the problem several times that they didnтАЩt want to stop in certain places; it would not be safe, not be clear. Typically they canтАЩt understand either that we like to walk from time to time. So I hope it can be a pleasant experience when taking full control of the driving.

Tourism Authority of Thailand events calendar : http://www.tatnews.org/events/events/2007/nov2007.asp

March 30th, 2007, 15:50
Bon voyage! And remember to pick up those strings of flowers sold at all the intersections they keep you safe and smelling sweet, you can offer them up to a shrine/tree/spot/Bhuddha when you get to your destination, assuming they are still presentable.

March 30th, 2007, 16:45
Of course, C├йdric, I will buy some of these flower strings and even more so a small Buddha statuette and an amulet or two. These are essential safety items in Thai traffic.

April 1st, 2007, 08:50
I frequently rent cars in Thailand for road trips. My last trip was in December. When I made my reservation with Budget my email confirmation clearly stated that an International License was required. I'd never seen that explicitly stated before. But as others have said, it is cheap and easy to get. Interestingly, I just made a reservation today with AVIS for my next trip in April. No mention of an International License on that confirmation.

I've been stopped several times at road police road blocks. Everytime I"ve flashed my International License and I've been waved on.

I love driving in Thailand...the freedom to create my own itineraries and keep to my own schedule is priceless. Generally the roads are great. The only exception I've found is the stretch of road between Phitsanaluk and Sukhothai...it has been under construction for a long time and is a bit of a nightmare.

April 2nd, 2007, 00:04
It will be a LOT easier for our British cousins to drive in Thailand since they also drive on the left.
Even after 6 years of traveling to LOS I still can't get used to Thai traffic. I jump when I think the taxi is making the turn wrong and sometimes I look the wrong way when I'm crossing the street.

Im hoping one of these days Boyfriend will get a licence and then HE can do the driving (for a change :geek: )

April 2nd, 2007, 02:45
... this was along the lines of "buying a dog and barking yourself", but apparently not. I mean, isn't that what the lower classes are for - driving one around, and so on

April 2nd, 2007, 13:06
... this was along the lines of "buying a dog and barking yourself", but apparently not. I mean, isn't that what the lower classes are for - driving one around, and so on

Depends on the car and if your faculties are still all intakt. I only tried a driver once in Thailand and it irritated me no end. They often have an agenda all their own and you have to constantly try and remind them of what you intended. They are always trying to "steer" you into something you have no interest in at all, accomadation wise, restaurant wise, just everything.
Then there is the privacy factor, having the labour constantly breathing all over you is also not the most exciting experience. If you could choose your type, well then yes, but drivers seem a bit limited, also in their communication skills.

I personaly always had a driver as a child and I appreciated the practicality of being able to get around, but I am a big boy now and "the world is our periwinkle" to quote my nephew, all part of the adventure. I wouldn't do it any other way.

April 2nd, 2007, 17:37
I only tried a driver once in Thailand and it irritated me no end. They often ...I realise that Bayes' Theorem does give us a way of arriving at statistically significant results on which we can depend, but I'd have thought getting from "once" to "they often" is stretching it a bit :idea:

April 2nd, 2007, 17:45
hmm good point, perhapse it should have read, he always.....but I have been driven around before as I continued to go on and say, just not more than once Thailand? Happy Hovel?

April 2nd, 2007, 17:50
Happy Hovel?

Are you kidding? He's only happy when his film-coated tongue is halfway up a Thai boy's colon.

April 2nd, 2007, 17:51
... your insights and brilliant economic analysis (
... You paint a very rosy and bright picture of America today. Dont forget the very promising near complete collapse of the property market there ... - http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 66-27.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/americans-do-you-feel-good-about-america-t10966-27.html) ) are wasted in China

TrongpaiExpat
April 2nd, 2007, 21:18
I only tried a driver once in Thailand and it irritated me no end. They often have an agenda all their own and you have to constantly try and remind them of what you intended. They are always trying to "steer" you into something you have no interest in at all, accomadation wise, restaurant wise, just everything.

Yes, that's my experience too. Last trip to Kanchanaburi I said straight to Erawan and he stopped at some museum. I was with a group of boys and they had no interest in this museum. I kept telling him to leave and he suddenly was not able to understand English. I said it in Thai and he still could not understand me. He spoke to the BF and they all got out of the van. The BF said the driver said we have to go in. The museum sucked and cost me 100B per head. The driver then stood there in front of me to collect his kick-back from the counter, looked like he got 20B per guest.

April 2nd, 2007, 22:04
I only tried a driver once in Thailand and it irritated me no end. They often have an agenda all their own and you have to constantly try and remind them of what you intended. They are always trying to "steer" you into something you have no interest in at all, accomadation wise, restaurant wise, just everything.

Yes, that's my experience too. Last trip to Kanchanaburi I said straight to Erawan and he stopped at some museum. I was with a group of boys and they had no interest in this museum. I kept telling him to leave and he suddenly was not able to understand English. I said it in Thai and he still could not understand me. He spoke to the BF and they all got out of the van. The BF said the driver said we have to go in. The museum sucked and cost me 100B per head. The driver then stood there in front of me to collect his kick-back from the counter, looked like he got 20B per guest.

It kills me how so many of you are apparently so willing to be rolled over and fucked (and not in the good way). Has it never occurred to you to stand your ground and just say "no"? No wonder the Thai think we're all push-overs.

TrongpaiExpat
April 2nd, 2007, 22:37
It kills me how so many of you are apparently so willing to be rolled over and fucked (and not in the good way). Has it never occurred to you to stand your ground and just say "no"? No wonder the Thai think we're all push-overs.

Sometimes just someone has the upper-hand and there's not much you can do other than just walking and that sure fixes him and it's also the end of the trip or worse, your left stranded. You loose in the end either way.

April 3rd, 2007, 05:46
... they all got out of the vanA van! A van? That's a self-inflicted wound if ever I saw one. The topic is motor car and driver, a bit of champers and a boy or two in the back, not some semi-public mode of transport

April 3rd, 2007, 07:10

This is easier said than done Arse-boy, for one thing how is a visitor meant to even know which road they are meant to be on? If you have to go the full hog and be the eyes and ears of the driver, doing the map the route and the constant nagging to make sure you get to where you want to go, its easier just to drive yourself, the added fun, adventure and lack of constant bloody trouble with a driver makes it a far better all round? The idea of a nice relaxing back seat going exactly where you intended is pure romance.

I agree with TrongpaiEx. Drivers are also not completely knowledgeable about routes and places of real interest, so unless you are sitting on their lap and pointing out exactly where you wish to go the whole holiday, you end up being taken for a ride, literally. For one thing, their idea of a fabulous local spot is sometimes no more than a tourist hell hole. And secondly if they are uninterested in maps or the intended route or sight, they just go where they know and like, even trying to convince you that its the right spot. Face saving comes into play and before you know it you are shopping for fake watches or being run up for a rayon "silk" suit in some dump the driver calls tourist heaven, and you havn't even left Bangkok.

TrongpaiExpat
April 3rd, 2007, 10:37
... they all got out of the vanA van! A van? That's a self-inflicted wound if ever I saw one. The topic is motor car and driver, a bit of champers and a boy or two in the back, not some semi-public mode of transport

I took the BF and 4 of his friends on a trip to Erawan. I hired the van and driver since no one in Kanchanaburi would rent me a van for self drive and 6 in one car is too much.

Sorry if the post lacked some details for your keen analytical mind.

April 3rd, 2007, 19:21
Sorry if the post lacked some details for your keen analytical mind.The details were fine - it veered off-topic. Complaining about a Thai van driver is not in the same league as complaining about a car-and-driver from somewhere reputable

April 3rd, 2007, 20:01
Hovel-crap vans are in. Where are you hiding, under a bushel? Luxury people carriers or Vans are very comfortable these days and are perfect for being driven around in. The preferred choice for celebrities world wide, a party on wheels.

April 3rd, 2007, 20:34
Hovel-crap vans are in. Where are you hiding, under a bushel? Luxury people carriers or Vans are very comfortable these days and are perfect for being driven around in. The preferred choice for celebrities world wide, a party on wheels.

And I'm sure Ceddie rides only in the Cadillac of Minivans.

April 4th, 2007, 09:04
The preferred choice for celebrities world wide, a party on wheels.Celebrities. I think you've found another reason why I wouldn't go near a van. Celebrities are famous merely for being famous. They have no value and are certainly not worth emulating - although since your favourite entertainment is "reality" television shows it's probably a milieu in which you revel

April 4th, 2007, 09:48
I can never work out why "reality" TV shows are so called. To get on one you seem to have to come from some planet more amazing than Thailand.

April 4th, 2007, 10:10
Northernlights what are you saying?

April 4th, 2007, 10:20
I can never work out why "reality" TV shows are so called. To get on one you seem to have to come from some planet more amazing than Thailand.Well quite. But there are some vegetables called "organic" even though humans are not able to digest inorganic vegetables, and physical exercises called "aerobics" even though humans cannot survive in an anaerobic environment. And then there's Aunty, who calls herself a scientist even though ...