PDA

View Full Version : Modern luxury furniture repro at bargain prices

March 28th, 2007, 07:31
http://www.b-b-club.com/

I kept details of this website from a Pattaya Ex_pats newsletter. Yesterday I popped in to have a look around. It is located in Duck Plaza behind Big C Suckhumvit. They stock a r ange of high quality furniture, very modern 'International style' including repro editions of European classics by Le Corbusier and Mies van der Rohe at very reasonable prices. I was very taken with their 15mm bent glass tables and coffeetables which cost a fraction of the Italian Imports sold in Bangkok.

They operate in an unusual way. You hoin the 'club' for 1000 baht and then get access to the bargain prices. You put down a deposit and pay when the goods arrive from the factory, which they said is in China.

I also have on file a place in Chiang Mai which offeres a wide range in furniture including similar items Indochine Decor http://www.indochine-decor.com/products ... th=376_838 (http://www.indochine-decor.com/products.php?cPath=376_838)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/barcelonachairbrown2.jpg

Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chair B B Club 15,000 baht, Indochine US$648 = 22,700 baht - I have not checked that the comparisons are exactly fair as the higher one may include US delivery even so it's an interesting difference.

March 28th, 2007, 08:11
most of their chairs and sofas are leather, I wonder why?

I don't like leather...slippery and cold.

March 28th, 2007, 13:50
Location? I have been the Duck Plaza and couldn't see this store. Can someone give exact directions?
I know where Big C is and I know where Duck Plaza is. Where exactly in Duck Plaza? BTW, when you walk into the interior of Duck Plaza, it reminds me of a refugee camp. Families appear to be living in many of the abandoned mini-stores.

Leather vs. cloth sofas in the tropics?
I have a fabric one and it is comfy, but difficult to keep clean (sweat etc.).
I have heard with a leather sofa all you have to do is wipe with a moist towell. How do these leather sofas feel in the tropical heat?

March 28th, 2007, 19:13
I use leather for my sofas. It is not cold - if only. I don't find it slippery either. It is easy to clean compared to plush or fabrics.

I do get miffed when people call and sit down on armchairs or sofas shirtless - fully or virtually. Shirtless Thai people usually sit on the floor which is fine.

Leather and PVC seems very popular in Thailand for such furniture.

March 28th, 2007, 19:17
I use leather for my sofasYou can just wipe the cum off with a tissue, can't you?

March 29th, 2007, 02:09
There are different types/qualities of leather and vinyl, but in general I'd rather sit on leather in the tropics. Seems with vinyl the skin forms a bond with the vinyl and when you stand up, riiip, it pulls at the skin. With leather, somehow it breathes or something and that bond doesn't seem to form.

March 29th, 2007, 02:26
I agree about vinyl/PVC. So damn sticky! Yuck. It is cheap though, so very popular.

March 29th, 2007, 08:40
Much of the 'leather' coming out of China is coming from animals you wouldn't expect...

March 30th, 2007, 12:39
I have been to many leather tanneries in many countries for professional reasons. Every fashion season, I would visit
the tanneries to choose type of leather, colors, grain finishes etc. and I can tell you that only cow and pig skins are used. There
are exotic leathers that use reptile skins or even some fish skin but these are very expensive and difficult to work with.

The whole process starts with "blues" which are the uncured skins which are brought to the tanneries to be infused with tanning
agents and spun in giant machines to soften the stiff skins. There is a dyeing process as well and it is all done on a vast volume
for ecomonical reasons and the finished leather is still relatively expensive. There are teams of graders and cutters as much of
the finished leather is not usable and cut away.

I have noticed boygeenyus seems to have some prejudice against the Chinese but I can assure him that skins, other than cow and pig
are not being used except in very expensive reptile footwear or clothing.

I have also noticed a lot of posters attacking the Russians, Germans, Mainland Chinese, Americans, Brits, Canandians, French, the
Belgians, Arabs and it is clear than nationalism lives on even with ex-pats and aside from religion, it is cause for many many problems.

March 30th, 2007, 13:49
I have also noticed a lot of posters attacking the Russians, Germans, Mainland Chinese, Americans, Brits, Canandians, French, the
Belgians, Arabs and it is clear than nationalism lives on even with ex-pats and aside from religion, it is cause for many many problems.

Two things I CANNOT abide are racially or nationalistic intolerant people and the fucking Dutch!!

:bounce: :cyclops: :bom:

TrongpaiExpat
March 30th, 2007, 14:19

Two things I CANNOT abide are racially or nationalistic intolerant people and the fucking Dutch!!

:bounce: :cyclops: :bom:

And, anyone that licks spittle (how gross) and lives in Sunee Plaza. People actually live in Sunee Plaza?

catawampuscat
March 30th, 2007, 17:07
Our new friend lickspittle is a bit cleverer than you might think. I recognized the word and googled it and lickspittle
is a word in the English language. Trongpai (which means straight ahead) perhaps was attempting some humor but should
try to keep it less disgusting in future and use reference tools before turning all our stomachs. Try googling catawampuscat
while you are at in and amazingly it is also a word.

Perhaps trongpai is unaware of Yensaibai Condo in the "greater Sunee" vicinity and the new deluxe hotel opening
shortly, right in Sunee Plaza.
Some French farang took over the second floor at the Marina and renovated the rooms to European standards. I
understand he is on the lam or has some other problems but there are actually habitable residences right in and abutting
Sunee Plaza.
The sewers of Sunee Plaza are home to other denizens of this oasis and this swamp cat often naps there.. It gets very interesting
when the chickenhawks swoop in at odd hours and the old bats are always in attendance.
Trongpai teerak (darling), try to be a bit more welcoming to newbies, you never know whomight add some spice to the brew. :cat:

March 30th, 2007, 18:57
I have been to many leather tanneries in many countries for professional reasons. Every fashion season, I would visit
the tanneries to choose type of leather, colors, grain finishes etc. and I can tell you that only cow and pig skins are used.

I defer to your superior knowledge and acknowledge that I may have extrapolated from the recent press on the dog and cat fur trade in China, and wrongly extended it to pooch leather. See the following:

McCartney Attacks China over Fur (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4476664.stm)

And I freely admit that the Mainland Chinese are not among my favorites.