PDA

View Full Version : Survanarbhumi International Airport to open in June

December 29th, 2005, 07:26
"Suvarnabhumi Airport to be ready for use in 180 days: PM
The Nation published on Dec 28 , 2005

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Wednesday that he would inform all airlines that the Survanarbhumi International Airport will be ready for use in 180 days.

Thaksin was speaking to reporters after chairing a meeting the committee in charge of developing the airport. He said the airport would be officially inaugurated on June 20 but the exact date has yet to be confirmed with the Royal Palace as His Majesty the King would be invited to chair the inauguration ceremony. He said most major constructions at the airport had been completed and there were only final finishes on small works, all of which should be done in March. He said shops inside the airport compound would be completed in May. The prime minister said the government would not yet go ahead to expand the airport in the second phase as it has yet to consider as to when its current capacity of receiving 45 million passengers a year would be met."

It will be interesting to learn if the budget airlines will move there or stay at Dom Muang.

cottmann
December 29th, 2005, 08:37
December 28, 2005 to June 20, 2006 is only 175 days - I guess the extra five days will be used to really get the new airport ready for opening - probably sometime in September.

December 29th, 2005, 10:08
I guess that he must have spoken on Wednesday Dec 21st and they reported it later. Sorry but I make that 180 days.

Boxer
December 29th, 2005, 14:13
HO HO HO! oops sorry Santa says a bit late maybe?

Boxer
December 30th, 2005, 15:47
Piece in the Bangkok Post today Friday saying the experts think March 2007 a better date to re-lie on.

December 30th, 2005, 17:21
Suvarnabhumi Airport to be ready for use in 180 days
Believe that and you'll believe anything. All of Thaksin's pronouncements these days are aimed at his domestic electorate in the hope he can repair his electoral standing with vacuous promises

December 30th, 2005, 18:40
Can anyone perhaps provide a link of an aerial map of the new airport, so we can see excatly where it is & hows it looking so far....

i know the new airport in Dubai is reported to have 6 runways! How many will the new BKK one have.......

Boxer
December 30th, 2005, 22:56
Have a search around this page but i see from motorway its more advanced than they show buildings but systems still to go in and roof to be repaired.

http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok ... ndex.shtml (http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok/sbia/index.shtml)