PDA

View Full Version : Movie review-Borat

March 22nd, 2007, 12:40
I thought I wanted to write a movie review on this film but I really wanted to know what other people thought about it. I enjoyed every moment of the acting, but thought it was a terrible movie and very badly conceived, intellectually challenged, but well acted and with good characterisation and plenty to laugh about, if you can remove in your mind the entire context of the film.
A bit of a mess in fact. What a waste of talent. I thought the same about Ali G but I never enjoyed that for one moment. Could Borat be the longest "irish joke" in history? I tend to think so. Utter rubbish. Didn't convince me, a total set up from begining to end. When it could have been a long time classic of all time.

Aunty
March 22nd, 2007, 18:10
I haven't seen this movie, and I've made the decision not to see it too. I find the whole premise of the movie unpleasant and unacceptable. I don't like ordinary people being set-up in such a way just to make money for the entertainment industry. It's usury and dishonest. We have no way of knowing to what extent these peoples' unsuspecting cameo's have been manipulated by editing to achieve a desired end for the movie. I don't like that. It's fiction masquerading as truth. I don't watch movies like that.

March 22nd, 2007, 19:19
... Fahrenheit 911?
We have no way of knowing to what extent these peoples' unsuspecting cameo's have been manipulated by editing to achieve a desired end for the movie. I don't like that. It's fiction masquerading as truth. I don't watch movies like that.

March 23rd, 2007, 09:15
I haven't seen this movie, and I've made the decision not to see it too. I find the whole premise of the movie unpleasant and unacceptable. I don't like ordinary people being set-up in such a way just to make money for the entertainment industry. It's usury and dishonest. We have no way of knowing to what extent these peoples' unsuspecting cameo's have been manipulated by editing to achieve a desired end for the movie. I don't like that. It's fiction masquerading as truth. I don't watch movies like that.

Yes exactly, and to throw into this mess, issues of woman abuse, child abuse, anti-Semitism etc etc , gratuitous issue dropping, is all it is, not very convinced about his own true commitment or even understanding of any of the issues.
For once in my entire life I agree about a film being banned. Go Kazakhstan and Russia!

No nothing like Fahrenheit 911, this was different in many ways, but primarily because Borat uses a vehicle for its unintelligent self indulgence that is not for one moment even vaguely deserving of the seriously gratuitous stereotyping and accusation (Fahrenheit has this in buckets), that is in fact the basis for the entire movie. And here I dont mean the USA but the nation he is really insulting. The character himself is very funny and extraordinarily well acted and likeable, I think he needs a director more than anything and a context for a film.

March 23rd, 2007, 09:24
You think Borat should be BANNED?

March 23rd, 2007, 09:58
You think Borat should be BANNED?

No not completely, it serves a good reminder of how conservatives jumping on the band wagon of comedy to portray, for all intensive purposes fictitious social injustice, can be thick dumb and dangerous.
I fully agree with the sentiments of the Kazakhstan nation where it is banned.

March 23rd, 2007, 12:59
No not completely, it serves a good reminder of how conservatives jumping on the band wagon of comedyYou think Borat is a right-wing movie???

March 23rd, 2007, 15:22
I am not sure what Borat thinks it is, I dont think it knows to be honest, but it comes across as such yes, contrary to how many people think they should see it. He is a conservative person, orthodox to the last twist of the mustache. When last did you hear a joke about another culture that wasn't conservative crap? The fact that they arbitrarily decided to use Kazakhstan speaks volumes. There is not one ounce of truth in his characters assertions about the place. That should astound people, but they are too busy focusing on the crap that is meant to make us believe that the whole American angle is not a set up.

March 23rd, 2007, 16:23
Cedric sayeth: not very convinced about his own true commitment or even understanding of any of the issues

I have the same problem with my mirror, yet it reflects my beauty tirelessly.

March 24th, 2007, 00:43
I am not sure what Borat thinks it is, I dont think it knows to be honest, but it comes across as such yes, contrary to how many people think they should see it. He is a conservative person, orthodox to the last twist of the mustache. When last did you hear a joke about another culture that wasn't conservative crap? The fact that they arbitrarily decided to use Kazakhstan speaks volumes. There is not one ounce of truth in his characters assertions about the place. That should astound people, but they are too busy focusing on the crap that is meant to make us believe that the whole American angle is not a set up.

And here I was, thinking it was just a comedy. Nothing more than a sophisticated "Candid Camera", with the injection of a brilliant fictitious character.

March 24th, 2007, 07:19
[/quote]And here I was, thinking it was just a comedy. Nothing more than a sophisticated "Candid Camera", with the injection of a brilliant fictitious character.[/quote]

No. Not very sophisticated. No, not much real candid camera, maybe just short candid street shots. Yes a brilliant fictitious character, unfortunately who is meant to come from a very real place Kazakhstan? Yes it makes people laugh, for all the wrong reaons.

America, Kazakhstan is a real country in central Asia. It was part of the old soviet union beyond the Urals, it is now independent from Russia, it is not a fantasy country, Borat is the fantasy. It is not a country that has a past history of or presently promotes, rabid anti-semitism, anti-Romanoffs, sexism, racial abuse, incest ,child abuse, sibling abuse, etc etc. These things are just used in the Movie to make itself look au courant, and sophisticated.

Fortunately it does nothing of the sort, but unfortunately it leaves people either thinking Kazakhstan is a fictitious country or that it it is backwards fascist right wing nation, none of it true. Now if Sacha Cohen had set his fantasy character as coming from North London where he and the rest of his Cohens come from, the movie would be entirely credible and we would be laughing at him laughing at himself. Now that would be sophisticted. Alternatively the character could have come from somewhere like the West bank?

Surfcrest
March 25th, 2007, 01:25
Yes exactly, and to throw into this mess, issues of woman abuse, child abuse, anti-Semitism etc etc , gratuitous issue dropping, is all it is, not very convinced about his own true commitment or even understanding of any of the issues.

And so you judge Sacha Baron Cohen to be guilty of anti-Semitism?

Interesting!

Surfcrest

March 25th, 2007, 09:10
Cedric sayeth: not very convinced about his own true commitment or even understanding of any of the issues

I have the same problem with my mirror, yet it reflects my beauty tirelessly.

This is not Dorian Grey?

March 25th, 2007, 09:14
And so you judge Sacha Baron Cohen to be guilty of anti-Semitism?

Interesting!

Surfcrest

How in the name of the coming of a Messiah do you reach that conclusion? I judge him to be a conservative prat, lacking in little brain cells!

colmx
March 25th, 2007, 10:47
HI Cedric
Did you actually see the movie?
Or just read a review of it?
Its comedy pure and simple - without any politcal motivations.

The only political motivation it could possibly have is to upset stupid people!

Sascha Baron Cohen has alrady done the Norf-london character in the USA already - it was called "Ali-G in the USA"... But that character is too well known now. Hence this time he use another character from his Channel 4 TV series for his latest movie.(Borat)

I'm pretty certain the next movie will involve him using Bruno the Gay austrian designer/DJ character in the USA...

http://digg.com/videos/comedy/Sacha_Bar ... n_designer (http://digg.com/videos/comedy/Sacha_Baron_Cohen_s_3rd_alter_ego_Bruno_the_gay_Au strian_designer)

colmx
March 25th, 2007, 10:57
heres another clip for any Bruno Fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNBD_p6xB4A

Also from here:
Borat Video (http://defamer.com/hollywood/borat/universal-bets-42-million-that-sacha-baron-cohen-can-continue-to-taunt-middle-america-with-naiveforeigner-characters-211085.php)

It would seem that the Bruno movie has already been given the $42.5M go-ahead

March 25th, 2007, 11:18
Did you actually see the movie? Or just read a review of it?I think you'll find it's the same answer as for Cedric's view of the book The King Never Smiles. He read one review (by someone who used to work with the author and bears a personal grudge) and declared it completely discredited, without having read the book itself

March 25th, 2007, 11:35
HI Cedric
Did you actually see the movie?
Or just read a review of it?
Its comedy pure and simple - without any politcal motivations.

The only political motivation it could possibly have is to upset stupid people!

Sascha Baron Cohen has alrady done the Norf-london character in the USA already - it was called "Ali-G in the USA"... But that character is too well known now. Hence this time he use another character from his Channel 4 TV series for his latest movie.(Borat)

I'm pretty certain the next movie will involve him using Bruno the Gay austrian designer/DJ character in the USA...

http://digg.com/videos/comedy/Sacha_Bar ... n_designer (http://digg.com/videos/comedy/Sacha_Baron_Cohen_s_3rd_alter_ego_Bruno_the_gay_Au strian_designer)

Hi Colon did you actualy read this thread? As far as I know any reviews I could have read would have said the exact same thing as you have just said. And thats total shit. Now don't go and tell me you enjoyed Pans Labyrinth for the same rubbish hype. Yawn yawn, let me know when you can think for yourself?

April 13th, 2007, 10:17
I rented this movie tonight and was so aghast at just the first 10 minutes I couldn't watch any more.
What a total piece of racist crap.
It is as insulting as if the title character was in blackface portraying someone from Alabama.
I guess people still think its ok to make fun of Moslems or Indians.
The same people who loved this movie probably thought Don Imus was hilarious.

(For those not up on the Imus brouhahah see:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RF9BjB7Bzr0

Big thumbs down on this movie

April 13th, 2007, 12:38
Spot on KenC.

April 13th, 2007, 16:27

Guess you weren't paying attention, but Borat is neither Moslem nor Indian.

April 14th, 2007, 08:36
No, but guaranteed Kazakhs are still a minority in ga ga dream land.

April 14th, 2007, 08:46

KazakhSTAN is a majority moslem nation. Its also where they get "Cossacks" from.

Look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls.

April 14th, 2007, 08:47

KazakhSTAN is a majority moslem nation. Its also where they get "Cossacks" from.

April 14th, 2007, 09:07
... had he come from Molvania - http://www.molvania.com/ ?

April 14th, 2007, 10:48
wouldnt it have been funnier... had he come from Molvania - http://www.molvania.com/ ?

Yes it would have been, good point sonny, as Molvania doesn't exist. Yes Kazakhstan is a Muslim majority, but they are a minority in America what ever their religion.
I dont remember Borat being Muslim, but this makes it worse of course, I will immediately burn my copy. Mr Cohen himself is a somewhat orthodox practising Jew of course, I wonder if this has just the tweensiest little something to do with the price of gefilte fish in North London?

Dboy
April 14th, 2007, 15:22
wow these opinions are interesting. I enjoyed Borat.

Dboy

April 14th, 2007, 20:27
wow these opinions are interesting. I enjoyed Borat.No surprises there!

April 14th, 2007, 21:02

Yes, I know that it is a majority Moslem nation. But Borat himslef is not Moslem. He eats pork and drinks alcohol, and has never once referred to or made fun of Islam.

Anyone who thinks Borat is racist just doesn't get it. He's an absurdist character designed to highlight and condemn racism.

Jetsam
April 14th, 2007, 21:23
Hmm... I think I misinterpretted this movie . I thought he was making fun of USA and not of Kazakhstan , but according to you folks I was wrong. So yes ban the movie. :cheers:

April 14th, 2007, 21:45
I believe it is no longer banned in Kazakhstan since they "got it".

The snippets I've seen are not as funny as Richard (of Richard and Judy fame) doing his impression of Ali G.

April 15th, 2007, 08:38
Hmm... I think I misinterpretted this movie . I thought he was making fun of USA and not of Kazakhstan , but according to you folks I was wrong. So yes ban the movie. :cheers:

Good point, funny I wasn't so bothered with the former. That bit is the only bit that rings true? The only reason why Kazakhstan would have un-banned it, is because in fact the rest of the world might have got it by now, that is, that there is no longer any doubt that it is a messy racist bunch O crap.

April 15th, 2007, 08:56
Anyone who thinks Borat is racist just doesn't get it. He's an absurdist character designed to highlight and condemn racism.

And how does he achieve this by being racist himself? Accusing incorrectly a nation of being an anti-semitic racist bunch of backward pedophiles etc etc. Thats absurd for sure.

Its simply your old gratuitous "issue dropping" without a cause. Take a second look at the concept, it is not quite as clever as it thinks it is itself.

Michael
April 15th, 2007, 15:33

And how does he achieve this by being racist himself? ...

The Borat character effectively lulls people into feeling comfortable in revealing their racist/sexist/homophobic/anti-semietic feelings. It makes for uncomfortable viewing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo

April 15th, 2007, 16:46
Accusing ... of being an anti-semitic racist bunch of backward pedophiles etc etc. You mean he posts in this Forum?

Dboy
April 16th, 2007, 08:55
The Borat character effectively lulls people into feeling comfortable in revealing their racist/sexist/homophobic/anti-semietic feelings. It makes for uncomfortable viewing.

This is how I interpreted the film. The "Mr Jesus" chapter of the film was an uncomfortably-accurate view of American megachurches. The "Gun Shop" conversation was HIGHLY realistic (I was in a gun shop a few weekends ago where a guy behind the counter was talking with glee about the "pink mist" that you see when you shoot an Iraqi in the head with a sniper rifle).

In addition, Sacha Baron (who plays the Borat character), is Jewish.

Dboy

p.s. I support your war of terror! May George Bush drink the blood of every single man, woman, and child of Iraq!