PDA

View Full Version : TIPS

March 20th, 2007, 07:18
On my recent trip to Pattaya, not so much in BKK by the way.
I really couldn't believe the aggressive of the way people in the bars etc etc want tips from you.
To the point, where the mamasan point blank gave me my change and said tip even though a couple of "things" happened and quite honestly didn't deserve one, then laughed it off and said something in Thai about me not giving a tip.

Don't come to me and say these guys are hard done by, the tip situation has got out of hand, waiters and the like hang around the table until you have taken your change and given a tip.
Even having just a soft drink, they want a tip.
They want a tip no matter what.

It is really aggressive sales, tip tip tip, it really is a pain!
Any experience of this by other members ?

bedbugy1-old
March 20th, 2007, 07:42
try and have the correct amount of change when you get the bill pay what you owe thats a tip

March 20th, 2007, 08:33
There's a reason why they call them "hustlers"...

TrongpaiExpat
March 20th, 2007, 21:39
Mamasans are middle management and as such no real function that can't be accomplished by other means.

I never met one I like or found useful. I rather give a tip to the boys on stage. I generally wave them off if they come near me and it seldom works.

allieb
March 20th, 2007, 23:18
The thing that pisses me off about tips is when I go to the toilet and someone is right behind me attempting to massage my shoulders and neck. This happens in most of the bars and the toilets are usually a filthy health hazard. I would gladly tip the toilet keeper if the place was clean

I don't know about all you guys but I like a piss in peace. I gave a tip of 20 baht just to fuck the guy off in Krazy Dragon and found that it just encouraged him to attack again on the next piss. A few beers and I need to make frequent trips to empty. How best to handel this annoying practice.

March 20th, 2007, 23:29
The thing that pisses me off about tips is when I go to the toilet and someone is right behind me attempting to massage my shoulders and neck. This happens in most of the bars and the toilets are usually a filthy health hazard. I would gladly tip the toilet keeper if the place was clean

I don't know about all you guys but I like a piss in peace. I gave a tip of 20 baht just to fuck the guy off in Krazy Dragon and found that it just encouraged him to attack again on the next piss. A few beers and I need to make frequent trips to empty. How best to handel this annoying practice.

The practice wouldn't continue if dumb fucks like you didn't keep handing over 20 baht notes just to get them to go away! When they approach you, push them away gently, say "mai ao", and don't give them a goddam cent (like I do). Enough people do that, and *poof* no more annoying pissoir boys! Is it that difficult to figure out???

Smiles
March 20th, 2007, 23:32
" ... How best to handel this annoying practice ... "
At the first touch of the towel, turn around a little, big smile and say "... No thank you ... " or " ... Mai ouw, krup ... " He'll go on to the next guy.
As you're leaving the washroom, give him a nice smile and 30 or 40 baht (once, not every time you go) or whatever amount you want.
They are usually very nice guys and not pushy.

Pay no attention to Boygeenyus's advice above. He's a rude cocksucker.

Cheers ...

March 20th, 2007, 23:46
At the first touch of the towel, turn around a little, big smile and say "... No thank you ... " or " ... Mai ouw, krup ... " He'll go on to the next guy.
As you're leaving the washroom, give him a nice smile and 30 or 40 baht (once, not every time you go) or whatever amount you want.

Cheers ...

...only if you consider it rude to politely decline a service that you didn't ask for and didn't want. Otherwise, the "sucker" is you.

March 21st, 2007, 02:22
Waiter in beer bar : salary 2400 bath 1 month work

Lady clean rooms : 4000 bath 1 month work

Reception lady in hotel, works 12 hour 6 day's a week : salary 5500 bath 1 month work

Manager in hotel 7000 bath 1 month work

Way give tip to this rich people ! :bigsmurf: You go Thailand for fun fun fun yourself . :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Let them look up to you ! How you can spend big money in your old age, fat, ugly whit a string and smelling like a fish !

But Thais keep there smile even whit out your tip !

Great people ! :flower:

catawampuscat
March 21st, 2007, 02:44
Avoid the mamasan at Wild West Boys in Pattaya. I am referring to the fat one with a name like Layla. She lies like a rug.
A friend bought Layla a drink after she recommended a boy to him for his special need. He was a top with a big cock and needed
a butch boy would could handle his size. Layla assured him that one of the boys could and when he called the boy over , the boy
just laughed and said he could handle a small one but no way could he handle my friend. He tipped the boy in addition to the drink
and the drink to the mamasan and at 150B. a drink, he threw out at least 400B. because of the liar.

Now, a good mamasan is well worth tipping and over at Dynamite Boys in Pattaya, Jojo is a treasure. He is a plump fun guy
and he warned me that a boy I wanted to off was very inexperienced and not to expect too much. I took the boy anyway and had a great
time and took it real easy and slow and I think the boy appreciated it and things went very well. I was only his second customer and
everything was new to him but he was so sweet and trusting, I had a special encounter. Jojo deserved his tip and drink and when
Rose is in town, he is also truthful but I imagine it helps to be a regular and be a sport with tips and drinks, especially when Rose
alerts you to your preferences in the new boys/men at Dynamite Boys..

Brad the Impala
March 21st, 2007, 03:42

Cheers ...

...only if you consider it rude to politely decline a service that you didn't ask for and didn't want. Otherwise, the "sucker" is you.

BG's recommended "Mai Ow" is cursory rejection, "Mai Ow Khrap" is politely declining a service.

I don't personally want the service either, but in Thai Discos it is surprising how many Thai guys do want it.

Bob
March 21st, 2007, 05:33
Waiter in beer bar : salary 2400 bath 1 month work
Lady clean rooms : 4000 bath 1 month work
Reception lady in hotel, works 12 hour 6 day's a week : salary 5500 bath 1 month work
Manager in hotel 7000 bath 1 month work
Way give tip to this rich people !

The "rich" guy there (Mr. Manager) makes $200.00 per month for working about 70 hours per week? Damn, I must ask the hired help for stock picks more often.

[Not sure what your point was, Baziel. If you were joking, sorry, I didn't get it. If you were serious (they don't merit a tip because they're already rich), you must be blonde]

March 21st, 2007, 07:36
BG's recommended "Mai Ow" is cursory rejection, "Mai Ow Khrap" is politely declining a service.

I thought that the additional word might be too taxing for the Thai language skills of most people here.

TrongpaiExpat
March 22nd, 2007, 00:01
At the first touch of the towel, turn around a little, big smile and say "... No thank you ... " or " ... Mai ouw, krup ...

They generally attack when your at the urinal, hell, just turn all the way around and say, ohoops, forget the Mai ouw.

The Thais wave them off but the second they see a farang, they are all over you, sometimes more then one. You can try going in the stall, but they stand out side with a towel.

One time in Chiang Mai one came up on me from behind and decided to crack my neck. I never saw him coming. I was in pain for days.

I don't know anyone that wants and likes this service, so why then do some bar owners and disco owners have them?

March 22nd, 2007, 00:30
BOB wrote ;

[
Not sure what your point was, Baziel. If you were joking, sorry, I didn't get it. If you were serious (they don't merit a tip because they're already rich), you must be blonde]

I was cynical BOB. Serious, " Thais need tip if salary is so low " . :flower:

you must be blonde

Blond or Blondie , BOB ! :faroah:

Bob
March 22nd, 2007, 04:55
Ok, cool, Baziel.
But I do understand you have trouble reading your computer screen because of too much whiteout on the screen.... :clown:

March 22nd, 2007, 08:22
Now, a good mamasan is well worth tipping and over at Dynamite Boys in Pattaya, Jojo is a treasure. He is a plump fun guy
and he warned me that a boy I wanted to off was very inexperienced and not to expect too much.

Same Jojo-san who used to work at Lucky 777? Yeah, she's good.

March 22nd, 2007, 08:26
Ok, cool, Baziel.
But I do understand you have trouble reading your computer screen because of too much whiteout on the screen.... :clown:

:blob: :blob2: :blob3: :blob4: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob8: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :tongue1:

March 22nd, 2007, 08:29
Ok, cool, Baziel.

You can't use whiteout on computer screens, Bob. U need to use the delete button.

March 22nd, 2007, 08:44
Ok, cool, Baziel.

You can't use whiteout on computer screens, Bob. U need to use the delete button.

There's still Whiteout Bob , but itтАЩs not much use on computer screens , where you just go back , you check your ideas and you move

it forward Bob ... :clown:

March 26th, 2007, 06:28
... on some occasions bills can be an unnecessary "double" the price. A typical example would be a taxi to the new aiport - I normally am not stingy with tips etc but it has got out of hand, I wanted to see literally how much it was to the new airport getting a taxi from the street, so I asked one which dropped a person off at the hotel I was staying at in BKK - all in all it cost around 270bht, plus a reasonable tip of 30 bht, total 300bht.

If I let my friend deal with the taxi, he would have organised the hotel's option of 500 bht plus he would have give a tip of 100 - double.

With regard to going to the toilet in many bars which a few folk have brought up on this thread, that is a bit of a joke - you might as well "hold it" - if you know you are not going to tip you are feel discouraged to wash your hands properly as the only option to dry them are their towels which they offer - and yes the optional massage on your back whilst you are at the urinal "stops me in my tracks".

Also someone on here brought up the subject of mamasans. At one bar, one mamasan who is a pushy so and so and wants tips no matter what - I totally agree - it happened to me, but as I said in another thread on here re: that subject I said a simple "no".

Also since being gently reminded to pay my bill at one of the bars on the night of the "immigration checks", which initially wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't pleasant either, was when I decided "no more tips" unless they are deserved.

catawampuscat
March 26th, 2007, 10:50
White Desire's comment bring to mind an experience I had a year or two back in a Sunee go go bar. We had just ordered
drinks at Kaos (under previous owner's management) , when rumours of a raid ran thru the bar and all the boys fled and only
a couple of ladyboys stayed on. Of course, there was no reason to stay and we were asked to pay for our untouched drinks, which
were served while the exodus was occurring. The mamasan was insistent and we paid but not being one to suffer silently, the
owner graciously served us free drinks the next time.
This was before the gang at K-boys moved over to Kaos and it was one of the best bars in town.

Let's see if anyone takes the bait and hurls the "you frequented an underage bar" crap and if the pedo squad wake up......

Dboy
March 26th, 2007, 14:18
Let's see if anyone takes the bait and hurls the "you frequented an underage bar" crap and if the pedo squad wake up......

maybe they will, but underage is FAR different from pedo.

Dboy