PDA

View Full Version : Dom Muang - Bangkok's old airport - flight schedules

March 17th, 2007, 11:26
Don Muang flight schedules - March 16, 2007
Subject: Re-opening Don Muang: Tentative Flight Schedules
Importance: High
Dear AOC Members,
Information received from SQ, which could be useful to you.

Summary of domestic flights operating at Don Muang Airport (DMK) and Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

Thai Airways (tentative)
- BKK YYTG has set a plan to operate 31 domestic flights at DMK and 13 domestic flights at BKK
- At DMK the flights from Bangkok to Phitsanulok (PHS), Khon Kaen (KKC), Udon Thani (UTH), Ubon Ratchathani (UBP) and Surat Thani (URT)
- The destinations operating from both BKK and DMK are Chiang Mai (CNX), Chiang Rai (CEI), Phuket (HKT), Hat Yai (HDY) and Krabi (KBV)

- Flight number operating at DMK will be 4 digits begin with 1 for example TG1100

Nok Air
- All flights will be operated at DMK
- Ticketing booth is still remain at BKK

One-Two-Go
- All flights will be operated at DMK except OX1012 BKK-KBV until 16APR

Next steps
- Document passenger connecting process and procedure between the two airports
- Means of land transportation and costs
- Publish Minimum Connecting Time

http://www.2bangkok.com/

AOC ?? SQ ?? YYTG??

I have visions of some poor passenger getting a taxi to the 'airport' finding he is at the wrong one he continues to Dom Muang and goes to Nok Air to buy a ticket " Sorry tickets are only on sale at Suvarnabhumi aiport" - "no we don't have any flights from there"

Sen Yai
March 17th, 2007, 15:15
wowpow it's DON Muang, DON with and N as in Donkey. Every time you mention it you write Dom Muang - why?

I thought when it closed that you would not have to write it again, but now it's opened again, please get it right! :bounce:

March 17th, 2007, 16:28
wowpow it's DON Muang, DON with and N as in Donkey. Every time you mention it you write Dom Muang - why?

Steroids on the brain?

March 18th, 2007, 06:26
Im dreading the trip to DM for my Udon trips.

March 26th, 2007, 11:20
Bangkok Post - Maybe it is 'Mueang' but who can say it?

'136 Na Ranong Road, Klong Toey, Bangkok 10110, Thailand - fax:022403666 - email:postbag@bangkokpost.co.th
It was with some bemusement that I read that the name of the old Don Muang airport, which has been unofficially used for 93 years, has been re-spelled Mueang (Bangkok Post, March 24).

The decision by airport director Pinit Saraithong was made after conferring with the Royal Institute and the Chulalongkorn University arts faculty. Their considered opinion was that Mueang was correct. Regrettably there is a problem _ "uea" is an illegal vowel combination in English. To Westerners, the pronunciation of this configuration will cause consternation.

That is the reason why Muang has been used, and adopted nationally in Thailand, in place-names. Such a significant name change should have been tested with native English speakers, people proficient in English grammar and structure, then the error would have been found quickly.

In addition, the name change will be extremely costly to implement _ the traditional Muang spelling has been used for years by cartographers, governments, satellite navigation systems, commercial and online flight resources, plus numerous tourist guides. The name exists in hundreds of thousands of official references.

The dilemma now is who changes _ the airport or the rest of the world. In either case, the cost will be high. There is a famous saying in English: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It is regrettable that, despite his best efforts and intentions, Mr Pinit did not heed this advice.

PETER PENDLETON
Chiang Rai

March 26th, 2007, 18:33
Maybe it is 'Mueang' but who can say it?

I can. And besides, tourists could never pronounce it correctly when it was spelled "Muang', either.