PDA

View Full Version : Govt to drop 50 baht taxi surcharge fee at Don Muang....

travelerjim
March 15th, 2007, 14:49
From Bangkok Post...
http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/t ... ?id=117434 (http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/topstories.php?id=117434) .

"Taxi surcharge fee to depart Don Muang Airport - now 50 baht - to be lifted..."
read below:

Mr Sansern was at Don Muang Airport yesterday with Transport Minister Theera Haocharoen, inspecting preparations for reopening of the airport for some flights while repairs are being done at Suvarnabhumi.

Adm Theera confirmed Don Muang would reopen for regular domestic services on March 25 as scheduled.

The domestic terminal will serve domestic flights, and terminal one in the international wing will handle charter flights. Renovation of the terminals should be finished by Tuesday, he said.

Mr Sansern said he planned to lift the 50-baht surcharge for taxis exiting Don Muang airport with passengers because the airport was situated near communities and access was easy.

Air force chief ACM Chalit Pukpasuk, as chairman of Thai Airways International, said the national carrier would open check-in counters at Lat Phrao subway station to serve passengers going to Don Muang airport when it reopens.

TJ

Smiles
March 15th, 2007, 20:44
Seeing how this 'situation' at the new airport was caused by:

built in corruption [/*:m:3kaipdmf]
contractors' (et al) incompetence [/*:m:3kaipdmf]
bureaucratic neglect [/*:m:3kaipdmf]
the depthless arrogance & ego of Mr Thaksin [/*:m:3kaipdmf]
the shadowy Thai mafia [/*:m:3kaipdmf]
the neurotic need to save "Thai face" [/*:m:3kaipdmf]
foreigners in general (farang in particular) [/*:m:3kaipdmf]
southern Muslim insurgents[/*:m:3kaipdmf]
fundamentally flawed advice given by Boygeenyus & Co. Ltd. (Engineering Consultants)[/*:m:3kaipdmf]
all of those put together

. . . I wonder if a free shuttle bus service between the two airports is being contemplated?[/*:m:3kaipdmf]

Cheers .... :cheers:

March 15th, 2007, 22:34
Mr Sansern said he planned to lift the 50-baht surcharge for taxis exiting Don Muang airport with passengers because the airport was situated near communities and access was easy.
Which, of course, explains why the 50-baht surcharge was necessary before.

March 15th, 2007, 22:42
I'll bet you anything the 50-baht surcharge will be back before you can say Jack Robinson. It was put into place because 1) taxi drivers had to pay the airforce mafia to enter the queue; and 2) they often had to wait hours for a fare. I can't see how either of those is going to change, so taxi drivers will be trying to impose their own "unofficial" surcharge, which will lead to an outcry, which will lead to the official surcharge being reinstated. TIT.

March 16th, 2007, 02:07
I'll bet you anything the 50-baht surcharge will be back before you can say Jack Robinson. It was put into place because 1) taxi drivers had to pay the airforce mafia to enter the queue; and 2) they often had to wait hours for a fare. I can't see how either of those is going to change, so taxi drivers will be trying to impose their own "official" surcharge, which will lead to an outcry, which will lead to the official surcharge being reinstated. TIT.

I agree.

March 16th, 2007, 13:18
which will lead to the official surcharge being reinstated. TIT.

The 50 baht was supposedly what each taxi driver lost by waiting in the queue. The 50 bayt went straight to the taxi driver. But I suppose that after dropping the surcharge perhaps the air force will reinstate a fee that they'll collect on behalf of the taxi drivers.

March 16th, 2007, 18:18

The 50 baht was supposedly what each taxi driver lost by waiting in the queue. The 50 bayt went straight to the taxi driver. But I suppose that after dropping the surcharge perhaps the air force will reinstate a fee that they'll collect on behalf of the taxi drivers.

The 50 baht went straight to the taxi driver, who had to pay most or all of it to the taxi mafia in order to join the queue.

March 18th, 2007, 12:14

The 50 baht went straight to the taxi driver, who had to pay most or all of it to the taxi mafia in order to join the queue.

Here we go with the 'miss-information' again? What a bit of complete bullshit.