PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia X blip - no planes

wowpow
March 13th, 2007, 11:16
BBC News

Travellers keen to use a new long-haul budget carrier linking Europe to Asia will have to wait - following problems at Airbus.

The firm announced that it would start a service between Malaysia and the UK in July, with return tickets costing between $80 and $450 (┬г41-┬г231).
But Air Asia X has put the new service on hold - probably until next year, possibly until August 2008.
The reason? A problem described by a spokesman as a "minor technical issue" - no planes.
The airline is hoping to lease wide bodied, high capacity jets for its planned long-haul routes.
"We are looking at the cost structure, the right aircraft," the airline's chief executive Raja Azmi Mohamad told The Edge, a Malaysian business publication.
Unrealistic
But getting the right planes at the right price appears to be proving more problematic that the company thought.

The expectations of being able to start services in July seemed unrealistic given the lack of availability of aircraft

Brendan Sobie, deputy editor, Airline Business Magazine
The carrier has been eyeing Boeing's 777 and the A330 model by Airbus.
Mr Azmi lays part of the blame at the door of Airbus.
He believes that delays in the production of the new super jumbo, the A380, has forced airlines to hold onto their 777s and A330s rather than sell them on or lease them out.

But Brendan Sobie, deputy editor of Airline Business Magazine thinks that the problems Airbus has had with the A380 are only a part of the story.
He believes it is also due to a lack of planning on the part of Air Asia X.
"[The delay] is really not surprising at all," said Mr Sobie. "People were asking questions during the January launch."
Full story http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6443181.stm

March 13th, 2007, 22:57
I told you Europeans have no business in the aerospace business. Stick to chocolates, cheese, and wine.

March 14th, 2007, 04:51
If the Tories get elected cheap flights will be a thing of the past.

Their green tax on airline fuel & passengers flying over 2000 miles will see to that.

March 14th, 2007, 06:04
If the Tories get elected cheap flights will be a thing of the past. Their green tax on airline fuel & passengers flying over 2000 miles will see to that.Damn left-wingers

fedssocr
March 14th, 2007, 06:05
makes you wonder what sort of business plan they have with a fare structure like that. How can they possibly stay in business charing $80 return? or even $450 for that matter. Where will they be cutting corners? safety? service? comfort? I suspect they will have to pack those planes with an awful lot of seats.

March 14th, 2007, 06:16
Nomadic friends shuttling between HK & London report that the OASIS business model is viable and that it's a reasonable flight at a slightly lower price than an early booking on say ANZ, Lufthansa or Qatar.

OASIS picked up an ex-SIA craft so the Biz class is "big seat" rather than fully flat. It seems Air Asia have similar ideas.

Myself, I stick to the one carrier who this summer are giving me a free biz flight 'aht East as well as a free hop to their mountain base on biz.