PDA

View Full Version : The Sky is Falling--Laminators' Delight

sattahip-old
March 11th, 2007, 13:45
The recent brouhaha over the police enforcing the law, with considerable leniency, about carrying passports at all times is a perfect example of shoot before you think.
Nothing strange happened. A very, very few may have experienced inconvenience for an hour or so.
Still we have had a tidal wave of supposition, faulty reporting and faux panic.
When will the Thailand pundits here and on other boards get it through their heads that this is a 3rd world country, whatever the Government would like us to think, that has had unending regime changes, parliaments, dictators, constitutions, armed insurrections and rebellions, coups and so on.
Each Government of whatever colour has passed lots of sensible and inane laws, regulations and rules, and very few, if any, have been repealed or amended but rather overlaid by the latest mob's efforts.
So we end up with the situation, which suits almost everyone in authority, that everything is illegal if you pick the right law or regulation to screw them with. In other words you can be guilty of being not guilty.
Powers that be, score 1-Others Nil
That said, I believe one of the worst things about this place is that it is lawless and one of the best things about this place is that it is lawless.

March 11th, 2007, 20:12
For the most part, Thailand is run by armed criminal gangs, many of them in uniform

March 11th, 2007, 22:40
The sky fell in years ago - only the hot air holding whats left of it up!

bucknaway
March 12th, 2007, 05:21
I am all for the police doing their job but when laws are not enforced to the point that the police themselves ignore the laws with a smile and a laugh one moment only to become officer Hyde the next moment and demand full obedience of every law written seems confusing, scary and something I don't want anything to do with.

March 12th, 2007, 07:42
I am all for the police doing their job but when laws are not enforced to the point that the police themselves ignore the laws with a smile and a laugh one moment only to become officer Hyde the next moment and demand full obedience of every law written seems confusing, scary and something I don't want anything to do with.

Then Thailand isn't the holiday paradise for you. See ya!