PDA

View Full Version : outrageous medical costs pattaya/bangkok hospital

lonelywombat
March 4th, 2007, 16:48
Two weeks ago mid way through my trip I was admitted to Pattaya/Bangkok Hospital casualty

It was not planned and I arrived in shorts, T shirt no credit card.

I was under pressure to be admitted for 24 hours [overnight] at a cost of 35,000 baht, which I refused

For two days I had bloat, lost interest in eating and drinking.

I started to pass liquid through my bowel almost hourly and started to vomit, even though I was taking in no water of food.

This went for two days yet when admitted to PB hospital, they were only interested in BP, pulse rate, connecting me to a saline drip and doing an ECG No questions as to why I had been admitted.

I was asked repeatedly if I had insurance and how I was going to pay.

Qantas cancelled my FF travel insurance as I had turned 70 I had never used the medical facility in LOS so was not worried. My credit card offered some facility depending on prior medical conditions. I had not received the questionairre before leaving for LOS Still not sure what is covered.

BP Hospital carried on as if they had won the jackpot when they saw my ECG showing I had had a heart attack[1991]

I am heart aware and know my BP and pulse rates and what is normal. It concerned me they were only interested in an intensive care patient rather than treating me for a gastro complaint.

For the last few years I have carried in LOS a Power of Attorney [medical] which hotels have not the faintest idea of when and how to use. I arrived at the hospital without the Power of Attorney

My costs on discharge after just over 2 hours including anti biotics , nausea tablets was 9500 baht.

I know Traveller Jim will critisize me but I thought I knew best. TJ, You are welcome to kick my arse.

just a warning for those who think similar.

March 4th, 2007, 17:22
I'd kick your ass, too -- but I'd be afraid it would kill you, seeing the shape you're in.

TrongpaiExpat
March 4th, 2007, 17:59
9500B does not seem unreasonable. Go in a hospital in USA and see what they charge. Yes, I know TIT, but in contrast I recently went in Bumrangrad for a persistent sinus infection, two visits, meds and facility charge came to about 9000B. The biggest cost was the antibiotics.

March 4th, 2007, 19:01
I was under pressure to be admitted for 24 hours [overnight] at a cost of 35,000 baht, which I refused

I spent five days in Pattaya Memorial hospital two years ago after an emergency admission (including two days in the high dependency unit).
The total cost including ambulance, all investigations, treatment, 2 blood transfusions, medication and 2 days in HDU and 3 days in a single room cost 57,500 Baht. I can't fault the care and treatment I received even though Pattaya memorial is supposed to be less efficient and provides less extensive facilities that Bangkok/Pattaya hospital. Of course the vultures (cashier's office) were there questioning me as soon as they were allowed to ensure that I had means to pay the bill - but that seems to be standard anywhere in the world where free emergency hospital treatment is not available.

After my stay in PMH I was told by ex-pats living in Pattaya that I was lucky as a similar stay at Bangkok/Pattaya would probably have cost me at least 150,000 Baht. 35,000 Baht for 24 hours may seem to be very expensive but it appears to be par for the course at BPH.

Hmmm
March 4th, 2007, 19:28
Several years ago I had my Thai bf taken to BPH by the hospital's ambulance at 2am with severe gastro. He was medicated for stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea, and dehydration in the emergency dept, then admitted to a very nice private room overnight on a rehydration drip. He was discharged late the next afternoon with meds for rehydration, stomach pain and antibiotics. Total bill 11,000 baht. Not bad in the circumstances.

Perhaps the quoted 35,000 THB was for ICU / CCU plus cardiologist consults ?

I never travel without medical insurance. The bf now has medical insurance through his work, and separate accident insurance.

March 4th, 2007, 20:47
The hospital you chose is well known as the most expensive in town. If you want treatment on the cheap, try a public hospital.

fedssocr
March 4th, 2007, 21:17
I spent an overnight at BPH in September for a bout of food poisoning. Very nice private room, IVs, meds, food, everything for about B14,000 or US$350. I was impressed with my care and compared to what I am used to here in the US it was dirt cheap. Everything but the food was reimbursed by my insurance company after I got home and submitted their form and the receipts.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Not sure what you expected them to do for you when you showed up with no money or credit card, of course they were going to wonder how you would pay.

March 4th, 2007, 21:24
Several years ago I had my Thai bf taken to BPH............Total bill 11,000 baht.
That would be the Thai price, of course. BPH does have a duel-pricing policy ! (And don't forget inflation from 'several years ago').

March 4th, 2007, 22:04
Queen Sirikit Hospital in Sattahip can only be recommended. Very good medical team, excellent care, low costs. The publicly owned Pattaya hospitals are also less expensive.

Bangkok Pattaya International Hospital is usually the best choise possible, providing international standard services at very resonable prices, otherwise they would not get so many foreign patiants in. Medical tourism is the hospital group's main and well florishing business.

If you need some medication, it might be wise to ask your doctor to prescribe the Thai equivalent first but not the imported drugs. Imports are always very expensive. All commonly needed drugs are made in Thailand or cheap imports from Malaysia or India at a fraction of usual costs. Of course, the profit margins on imported drugs are better but many foreigners are refusing the locally made medicines ...

If you turn up at a hotel without any luggage and pretty “casual” requesting a good room, drinks and food, they also ask for a nice deposit in cash or will try the flexibility of your credit cards first. No money, no honey - that’s nothing new .. There is no need to blame the hospital recptionists of doing what they are get paid for while checking you in.

March 5th, 2007, 01:06
Two weeks ago mid way through my trip I was admitted to Pattaya/Bangkok Hospital casualty

It was not planned and I arrived in shorts, T shirt no credit card.

I started to pass liquid through my bowel almost hourly and started to vomit, even though I was taking in no water of food.

This went for two days yet when admitted to PB hospital, they were only interested in BP, pulse rate, connecting me to a saline drip and doing an ECG No questions as to why I had been admitted.

I was asked repeatedly if I had insurance and how I was going to pay.

Qantas cancelled my FF travel insurance as I had turned 70 I had never used the medical facility in LOS so was not worried. My credit card offered some facility depending on prior medical conditions. I had not received the questionairre before leaving for LOS Still not sure what is covered.

BP Hospital carried on as if they had won the jackpot when they saw my ECG showing I had had a heart attack[1991]

I am heart aware and know my BP and pulse rates and what is normal. It concerned me they were only interested in an intensive care patient rather than treating me for a gastro complaint.

For the last few years I have carried in LOS a Power of Attorney [medical] which hotels have not the faintest idea of when and how to use. I arrived at the hospital without the Power of Attorney

My costs on discharge after just over 2 hours including anti biotics , nausea tablets was 9500 baht.

I know Traveller Jim will critisize me but I thought I knew best. TJ, You are welcome to kick my arse.

just a warning for those who think similar.

I was taken to Bumrungrad in BKK by a Thai friend 4 years ago with the same symptons as you, had been vomiting etc for 2 days nauseous, aching all over, headaches, not eating and wont even speak about the toilet problems lol - when i saw the place looked like a top hotel i though "oh-oh - this is gonna cost me!"

So after filling the forms and being given an elctronic swipe type card for future use i was seen by a triage nurse who took notes, BP/weight /temp etc. Then aftere a 15 minute wait i was called in to see a doctor with another nurse ( both female) who performed the same tasks and took a blood sample. They left the room and after 5 minutes another female doctor arrived ( senior something or other) and read the notes and wrote me a prescription for 5 drugs ( anti bacterial/antibiotics/painkillers/decongestant/immodium type pills) and asked me to come back tomorrow or day after for result of blood tests.

I went to the pharmacy and was given a bill to pay while they prepared to dispense the drugs. I was scared to look and asked my thai friend - "how much?" To my relief it was just over 1200 baht.

Not bad for 2 nurses- 2 doctors a blood test and 5 drugs.

When i went back 2 days later for blood result i didnt have to pay anything else when they told me i had a bacterial tummy infection and all would be well.

I can only assume you mentioning a past heart problem prompted them to get as much as they could in case you didnt make it lol

Same experience at a Doctors clinic for my leg burn last october
Initial consultation 700 odd baht including painkillers .

Followed by daily visits for 7 days for wound cleansing and dressing with plastic skin etc at 120 baht a pop - i had no complaints. the burn healed wonderfully well - it was quite large too.

Maybe im just lucky.

March 5th, 2007, 01:35
1) Does anyone know if US Medicare and State Farm supplemental will reimburse for covered medical expenses when in Thailand?

2) And what about all the stories of great cosmetic surgery work in Thailand at a fraction of the cost in US ? Not that I would do Lipo or a wrinkle remove, but just in case?

Aunty
March 5th, 2007, 01:45

This went for two days yet when admitted to PB hospital.............

Why on earth were you waiting for two days with these symptoms without going to see a doctor? Seeking good primary health care 9a GP) when you first become ill will save you a lot of money in the long term. Leaving it means you end up a lot sicker, and in the hospital.

bucknaway
March 5th, 2007, 01:53
When I twisted my ankle in Bangkok, I didn't go see a doctor. I knew it was not broken and with mild medication (Motrin 600mg) I was able to hobble about. Even when I was back in the USA I didn't see a doctor. I am 100% now.

I can relate to anyone skipping the doctor for things that we think time will cure.

lonelywombat
March 5th, 2007, 03:39
[/quoteaunty]If you turn up at a hotel without any luggage and pretty тАЬcasualтАЭ requesting a good room, drinks and food, they also ask for a nice deposit in cash or will try the flexibility of your credit cards first. No money, no honey - thatтАЩs nothing new .. There is no need to blame the hospital receptionists of doing what they are get paid for while checking you in.[quote/]

I had been to a pharmacist for medication and thought things would dry up as usually happens.

Late on the second day the hotel said they would arrange for a doctor to come and visit. I was at the hospital before I realized.

I did not select going to hospital as an option. Several years ago I had to get a doctor' visit for a Thai boy, and that cost was added to my bill. Naively I thought that would happen again.

Bob
March 5th, 2007, 04:23
In answer to the one question, no, you're not covered at all by medicare outside the US (excepting on rare occasions in Mexico or Canada when that hospital is closer than a US hospital). Found the answer on the US goverment medicare website.....as I was curious about the same question (although I have 7 more years to go before I have any of that coverage).

March 5th, 2007, 04:46
Lack of access to medicare benefits for Americans is a real injustice. A site that is specifically interested in this issue is www.RetireAway.com (http://www.RetireAway.com). Yes, they really need posters. There is also a section to discuss the US election.

travelerjim
March 5th, 2007, 07:52
Sawatdee Friends,

Medicare usually does NOT provide coverage outside the USA...

http://www.medicare.gov/Coverage/Home.asp .

IF you have a "Medicare Supplement" policy - you may be covered for up to 60 days...
for emergency services outside the USA...
see your certificate for explanation of benefits

There are exceptions...Please see your medical certificate for the details...
for example:

A retiree from Massachusetts IS covered for Foreign Travel - all year long!
(There is a well known Expat in Pattaya from Mass...who had heart surgery here in Pattaya...
and his Mass Blue Cross Medicare Supplement policy paid for it)...
sometimes I wish we all had the same type of coverages Mass State mandates!
it is a state mandate for Medicare Supplement policies...
Again, check your certificate of insurance.

For sure - there is NO coverage past 60 days upon leaving the USA -
again look for the exceptions such as Massachusetts.

If you are on a "Medicare Advantage" Plan - (an HMO styled plan) -
usually no coverages outside the USA as you are outside your provider network.

For those wishing more specific info about your situation, please pm me ...
and I will be glad to assist you in understanding the Medicare benefits you may have...
and your options in accessing coverages for yourself when travel or living outside the USA.

I have helped many USA citizen/expats who are now on Medicare with their policy reviews
...and am happy to help you too.

There are many Expats from USA paying for their Medicare Supplement policies all 12 months long ...
paying premiums of hundreds of dollars each month - while living in Thailand....
and they have NO coverage after they leave the USA 60 days...
Crazy ..but all so true...(and a solution is available to them...to have coverages all year long).

There are Expats and travelers from other countries who say ...
if an international health policy will not cover pre-existing conditions - I will go it alone....
in other words - I will accept 100% of the risk - and I do not want the insurance company
to accept any risk for anything else which may happen to me health wise...
and, as I have heard so many times ....

I have health insurance FREE from my home country...
I say ....
Yeah - a lot of good that will do you when laid up in Thailand Hospital with food poisoning (Trongpai Expat)
or run over by a Motorbike on the sois of Pattaya. (160,000 baht in hospital bills) ...
these are two events which have happened to friends over the past year
who had significant pre-existing conditions - and chose to take 100% of the risk -
rather than have the insurance company cover their other risks 100% after a low policy deductible chosen.

(do you hear me Trongpai Expat)....

The important thing - in my opinion -
is for you to know what coverages you have ...and have not
and what options you may have.

Manage your risks! It is "Up to You"
It is your money....and your health.

Take care,

TravelerJim

For affordable international health insurance
Please visit http://www.tjinsurance.com

thrillbill
March 5th, 2007, 09:17
I was surprised that Pattaya-Bangkok Hospital is more expensive than Bumraugrad... and most expats seem to trust Bumraugrad over PBH... PBH will look at you as a gold mine. BUT MEDICAL COST HERE AND CARE IS A LOT BETTER THAN IN THE STATES... The medical costs have gone out of hand in the USA---but the US would rather spend billions on military hardware than taking care of their own citizens who may not be able to pay the high costs...even with their insurance.

Hmmm
March 5th, 2007, 09:55
Several years ago I had my Thai bf taken to BPH............Total bill 11,000 baht.
That would be the Thai price, of course. BPH does have a duel-pricing policy ! (And don't forget inflation from 'several years ago').

Yes, that did occur to me. While my bf was being attended to in emergency I was ushered into another room where I was given a choice of rooms for my bf (2000-3000 baht range), an estimate of the likely total cost (9000 baht), and was then asked how I would pay. So it was clear that it was a farang paying, but I can't be sure that the fact that the patient was Thai may indeed have attracted a cheaper rate. Can anyone confirm ?

'Several years ago' was about 2.5 years ago.

bing
March 5th, 2007, 12:03
Since I am on the high side of 65, I never travel without a travel insurance to cover the period I'll be out of the USA. This includes cruise travel as well, as it can be costly to have be taken from a cruise ship and transported back to USA for treatment or for treatment in whatever country one happens to be located when taken ill.

I have used International Medical Group ( IMG.com--- I have no financial benefit with this company ) for many years, and I thank goodness I have never had to use one penny of their coverage. I still consider the peace of mind from having coverage well worth the cost. Traveler Jim has an offering of Insurance coverage. No one should put themselves in the position of traveling without being covered by a good insurance policy. If you need to be airlifted back to the USA, it can happen if you are covered properly. For less than $100 for a few weeks vacation. you can have peace of mind. Happy vacations ( Read Holidays for Europeans) to all.

March 5th, 2007, 22:53
And here's how some of the money is spent!

One year after the initial idea, city hallтАЩs concept of the private sector sponsoring PattayaтАЩs beach umbrellas and therefore doing much to improve the appearance of the beaches is beginning to become a reality.
Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh and Dhanavat Sripraphan, chairman of the Pattaya Beach Umbrella and Deckchair Association held a meeting on February 22 with the beach operators to describe the changes that are taking place with the first phase of the project.
Ronakit said that a three-kilometer stretch of Pattaya Beach is to receive 8,200 umbrellas sponsored by Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, at a total cost of 5 million baht. City hall has already received part of the funds.
The new umbrellas are of a much higher standard than the old ones and are made from Oxford canvas, measuring 42x16 inches and with a pole 2.4 meters long. They bear the words Pattaya Beach. Ronakit said the contract is for a period of three years.

Source: http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd1

TrongpaiExpat
March 6th, 2007, 09:45

The important thing - in my opinion -
is for you to know what coverages you have ...and have not
and what options you may have.

Manage your risks! It is "Up to You"
It is your money....and your health.

Take care,

TravelerJim

I hera ya Jim, but don't have a clue what your talkin bout

You got me confused with someone else?

I went with BUPA of Thailand diamond plan.

travelerjim
March 6th, 2007, 13:20

I hera ya Jim, but don't have a clue what your talkin bout

You got me confused with someone else?

I went with BUPA of Thailand diamond plan.

OOPS, sorry..I do have you confused with another ...
Pardon me..and it is good you have BUPA :-)

TJ