View Full Version : A special message Feb 26th from The Gay Pattayan...

travelerjim
February 27th, 2007, 09:56
A special message has been posted Monday February 26th..
on Boxer's website by The Gay Pattayan

http://www.boxertravels.net/odds/allen.htm .

Note from Allen to his Gay Pattayan Group Members Sunday 26 Feb

The fund raising effort was undertaken by great friends of long standing and has been astonishingly successful. If the funds pledged come in, I should be free of that horrendous hospital expense bill and all their demands for immediate payment -- Thai hospitals will not allow you to check out without the bill being fully paid or fully guaranteed by the government or other approved guarantor.

Government foreign employees over 60 years of age get no such coverage or guarantee. It is indeed a futile feeling sitting at the desk of the cashier, who clearly has instructions that she cannot issue a release until all funds due have been accounted for and paid, and apparently has no personal discretion in that regard --yet takes most of "the heat." Apparently there are no exceptions to the hospital's rules.

To see an old man and his wonderful lover waiting at the cashier's counter with head pounding and scull aching from recent double surgery had to be a sad sight; to be the subject involved was terribly with the problem was heartbreaking for one who has always been quite proud.

To be the recipient of the generosity of so many people is deeply humbling. Even with the "best insurance available" as Blue Cross for government and former government employees is sometimes touted, means nothing when the hospital cannot get a "guarantee of payment" from Blue Cross in the United States.

That it will later come and specify additional extra contribution" to the funding to meet the 10% co-pay which has only recently been made part of the policy is enough to make a proud old man cry. Physically and literally.

I cannot thank enough all those who have contributed to these funds; I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU.

By the same token, ill health continues and assures that I cannot (DARE not, as my webmaster, with his own many health problems far greater than mine assures me) resume my former volunteer efforts of the past many years.

I am still vitally interested in the gay community and its struggles and will take as large a part as my health may permit. For now, my doctors will not yet even permit full return to work.

Love ya all, and thanks for supporting us all these years. My deep felt thanks for all the help for so many people, now including me, over so many years.

Signing off, Gay Pattayan
February 26, 2007 only that much worse.
Slightly edited by Boxer.

February 27th, 2007, 10:22
This account should reinforce for all our members the importance of some form of health insurance for Thailand. The Pattaya ExPats Club has a page on health insurance in Thailand - http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/healthinsurance.htm - and I believe travellerjim himself can advise on travel insurance including health insurance. The international insurance company AIG has started offering travel insurance for those up until the age of 84 - here's their Australian Web site - https://quote.aig.com.au/Travel/60000002/default.aspx (I travel there often enough to make that my "home" for insurance purposes - being in that class so despised by boygeenyus - the visa runner). The disadvantage is a trip home every 90 days. As the population ages in the First World I expect to see more of these offerings occurring