PDA

View Full Version : Friends of Billy (overheard in Sydney)?

February 27th, 2007, 07:26
In Sydney last week, between appointments, I was having a coffee in the MLC Centre when two guys in their early thirties sat at the next table and began talking. I immediately began my second most-favourite occupation - eavesdropping. One of them was an advertising representative for the local gay rag, Sydney Star Observer. The other was an PR hack for an "image makeover" company run by some Seth Efricans. They were discussing a proposed campaign for an image makeover for queens who want to pass as straight - drop your voice a couple of levels, that sort of thing. Back into the closet time!

Among the things I learnt:
* The PR hack formerly worked for an electrical retailer where control freakery is a way of life
* The Seth Efricans are not much better, and for people who are offering voice modulation, you'd think they might start with their own overly thick accents
* The PR hack is a bear (oh god) and has been in a monogamous relationship for the past 5 years. He is still shocked when phoning friends to be put off by conversations like:
Friend: "I have to go now, my fuck's at the front door"
Hack: "Does this fuck have a name?"
Friend: "I suppose so, but I've no intention of finding out"

However, I knew it wasn't Billy because he expressed a total aversion to drag queens. Barebacking wasn't mentioned. I did feel half-sorry for the SSO rep - he obviously thought the PR hack was a complete prat and his attitudes back in the troglodyte era, but couldn't quite bring himself to say so