PDA

View Full Version : Any update info on the Philippines??

January 31st, 2006, 17:11
I will make a brief stop in manila or baguio during my next trip to see how it compares with thailand. I think I need a change. So any info would be appreciated. thanks

mikelele-old
January 31st, 2006, 23:08
Hey luvthai,

Well what kind of information are you looking for in particular?

Have you ever been to Manila before? I live in Manila.

Although I don't go out much anymore I can provide you with some information. like good places to eat at, places of cultural interest (though there's really not very many), what out of town trips you might be interested to take. Beaches etc..

Baguio, although once a very beautiful mountain province has now been over-run by 'progress' and now looks pretty much like manila. Not as many pine trees as there used to be and a generally dirtier. I don't think it even gets very cold up there anymore like years ago.

Prices are high for the locals but if you earn in anything other than pesos you're generally ok- (current Peso exchange rate is about $1.00 = P54.00 / GBP1.00 = P100.00)

Service isn't great, at least not in the provinces. Pinoys don't have the flair for service with a smile that the Singaporeans or the Thais do. But of course you get pretty good service in the city from the up-market places - this is also depending on where you are at.

Malate (downtown Manila), where the real color is usually found caters to a young-ish crowd these days. But the old establishments, watering holes that have become institutions still survive. One of them is Penguin cafe where all the artists hang out. The other is Oar House - although it has changed hands and pretty much lost the old character. There's also a place called Library which is a kareoke place but is hosted by singers/comedians and is very popular with visitors.

There are still other interesting places one can go to. All depending on your tastes. There's a place called Hobbit House where the waiters are all midgets and where there is folk-singing performed by famous local singers.

Makati (near the central business district) on the other hand is very homogenized. Western - with Friday's, Italiani's, California Pizza Kitchen, and other such establishments. This is where the young, well-heeled people go to be seen. It can be fun too as there's good food and you'll be all set if you have good company.

Music is everywhere. You can find a kareoke bar almost on every corner - if this is your thing. Or there's almost always a band playing in every other joint. And if you appreciate good musicians and singers - you'll have your fill as this is one thing this country has tons and tons of.

About food: everything is available here. You name it, we've got it - and it's probably near by. Local food is very good too. Kind of malay, and spanish and lots of chinese influence. But I don't advise that you eat anything off the streets.

Everyone speaks english. All the media is english - adverts, radio, tv, newspapers, billboards, road signs. And because of this, if you want to learn the local language- forget it. =)

There are very few go-go-boy bars. Two that are quite popoular are Big Papa (in Pasay City near the airport, and Adonis in Cubao Q.C.) They do go-go boy dancing and sometimes have F**K shows depending on the club. The going rate varys from bar to bar and they generally will deny that the boys are 'off-able' until they know your not a cop, or the boys are holding out for female customers. Female customers - generally "Japayuki's" are overseas workers in Japan who make their money as domestic help there who come back to manila and spend it on go-go boys.

There is no cetralized area where these clubs and bars are located. They're spread out between Manila, Quezon City and Pasay City. Quezon and Pasay have more interesting bars as of late.

There are spas and massage parlors. I have a list of the good ones. The reputable parlors will be quick to deny you 'full-release' massages. But a massage with a 'happy-ending' can be arranged privately with the individual masseur - again be careful as some really don't engage in this activity. As always proceed with caution.

The ones who are known for such services are really seedy places that hardly have any light and are really grotty. They only provide you with a mat on the floor and ugh, just forget it. It is best to go and choose the masseur and take them to a motel for shor-time, or back to your hotel room etc. Or if you are not particular, just call them by phone and get 'home-service' and put in a request for your type and cross your fingers that they got it right.

I hope this information is useful to you.

M

orson
February 3rd, 2006, 18:47
i wud like to add that it is quite difficult to find a bottom in the pay for play scene. u wud have better luck on the gay clubs.

February 6th, 2006, 11:12
couldnt resist to book Manila lately, when TIGER offered the 8,88 Singa-Dollars-Tickets. so there will I go, in July 2006. What can you say about safety ? I heard from many people who know all the big cities in Asia (Bangkok, KL, Jakarta, HK, Manila....) that its by far the most dangerous place due to the fact that firearms can be seen (and used, if wanted) at every corner..... what about the cruising scene ? are the malls still good to get in touch with boys ? I knew Ali Mall, some Robinson thingey, and so on..... was there long long time ago but I am sure things have changed (and , when it comes to safety, WORSENED a lot)......

mikelele-old
February 7th, 2006, 01:48
Well yes safety is a bit of an issue like in any travel. But this again depends on where you hang out. Makati and much on Manila and Quezon city are pretty safe. But if you go slumming - of course the risks go up. It's also dangerous to expose yourself to possible trouble with the police - for instance if you get caught cruising under-aged rent boys. Or behaving inappropriately in public. Solicitation is a no-no although there is no real legislation on male prostitution. They will snag you for indecent public behavior though, and yes the police can wring you for cash. Yup, those malls still exist but there are other, more popular places to cruise now.

As in most cases the news about the dangers of a place far exceeds the reality. If you observe common sense and take steps to keep yourself from common dangers you'll be fine. Of course, if you are alone or with someone you don't really know and drink yourself to abject inebriation - you are likely to be in real trouble!

=)

February 9th, 2006, 11:29
I would love to go to the Phillipines just to see what its like.Angeles City is apparently the same as PAttaya with massive loads of bars and go go s.

Are these places the future?

February 9th, 2006, 14:04
none of these places have wheel chair access old girl ,

February 9th, 2006, 14:20
I was just thinking SING,with what MONTY says about you ,you would be at home in the Phillipines.

February 15th, 2006, 19:29
yes i would be at home in the Philippines,

closing down the pimps and peados bars, as I assume that's what you are refere-ing to ,

GWMinUS
March 27th, 2006, 06:19
Mabuhay!!

I visited the PIs for 3 weeks in January and February.
Mainly to meet freinds from the Web. The site to do this is <www.gayromeo.com>.
Actually there are often 70-100 Guys from Thailand online at Gayromeo.
As with any online site, some of the handsome men are rent-boys.
I met one in Manila and he was worth the price. But you have to bargin!!

I stayed in Makati for the first time and did not enjoy it very much.
It does not have the charm and many bars that are in Malate.
So I found myself taking a taxi back to Malate several evenings, a long trip!!

In Malate there is Robinson's Mall, at M. Andriatico and Pedro Gill, near the Pan-Pacific Hotel.
I have been approached by Guys there on several occasions. My first trip, I meet two young men who where not money-boys, and we had a great time together. Of course, like most Pinoy Guys, Daddy is expected to pay the tab and the Boys find many ways to spend money! We went to a Karaoke place named Music 21, there is also one im Makati, and had a great time.

On M. Andriatico, near Remedios Circle, there are several bars. The Library, as mentioned, and another Gay Club next door. But the better bars and discos are on Julio Nakpil, just off Andricatico. There is a courtyard with two Gay Bars, a Disco, and a Gay clothing shop. Think the name is Rainbow something. But things start very late in Manila. The Disco does not get hot until 2am and goes until 6am. Not like Bangkok!!

Many good restaruants near Remedios circle, I highly recommend it!!

Back to Makati, the shopping malls are at Alaya Center. Many high end shops and restaurants there. The high end Thai Restaurant is People's Place, and there is another Thai restaruant, Ooyd's, on the second floor. More reasonably priced.

Interestingly, I was on my way to Alaya Center to shop one day. Traffic was terrible so I got out and walked. Crossing a construction area I had to turn back. And met a 32 year old man, an engineer, who was also on his way to the mall. We walked together and soon it was clear he was Gay. We had a great afternoon and several other days together. So chance encounters can happen!!!

I do not know much about the Go-Go Bars or Saunas. Tried a Go-Go Bar 3 years ago and was very disappointed. Expensive drinks, pushy Mamasans, and extremely high off-fees. And as was said, the Guys where playing to the many women in the Bar. So I will stick to Gay and Bi Men who are not from the Bars. By the way, many Pinoy guys "say" they are Bi, but love to have sex with another man!!!

So that is my long report. I also spent time on Mindanao, in the South, and went to Puerto Galera for 4 days. Both much more plesant than Manila. Ask me if you want to know about those places.

Go and enjoy!!!
George