PDA

View Full Version : securing/sending money

February 27th, 2007, 02:16
Thanks to ttom for the great advice about opening a bank account in Thailand. As you suggested went along to the Siam Commercial Bank in the Robinson Centre тАУ Udon Thani and was able to open a deposit account with a ATM card to cater for all my withdrawals.

It was very necessary for me to secure my money/travellers cheques as the hotel that I checked into did not have a room safe and the only тАШsafeтАЩ was behind the bar. Not that safe IтАЩm afraid!

My initial request to open an account was turned down as I was only holidaying in Thailand with the 30 day visitors stamp in my passport. What seemed to do the trick was when I asked how was I able to telegraphically transfer a sum of money from the UK to purchase a house if I had no bank account to transfer it into. This together with the offer of depositing well over 100,000 baht into the account seemed to change their minds. However it did take me about 2 hours to get it set up (with BFтАЩs help). But I came away with my money safe, a deposit account with bank book, an ATM card and a free holdall type bag.

While I was researching the best way to transfer / carry money into Thailand a friend advised me of a card soon to be issued/released by a UK bank. (end of March I believe) The Xscapecard Program has been described as the definitive #1 card program to be issued in the world. It is also an affiliate program тАУ so for anyone wanting to make an extra penny or two while securing their travel or transfer money this could be the answer. For more info go to:
http://www.xscapecard.com/?from=ventureclub22
Cheers :cheers: